Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  
Author: Subject: Dirt Bike Trail Fix
TMW
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 10-21-2017 at 12:02 PM
Dirt Bike Trail Fix

From Tony T. Bajatrailrider (Larry) will appreciate this.

Sweetwater
Senior Nomad

Mood: chilly today hot tomale

[*] posted on 10-21-2017 at 12:13 PM

Been there, done that, didn't work.
:(

Everbody\'s preachin\' at me that we all wanna git to heaven, trouble is, nobody wants to die to git there.-BB King
Reality is what does not go away when you stop believing in it. -Philip K Dick
Nothing is worse than active ignorance. Johann Wolfgang von Goethe(1749-1832, German writer, artist and politician)
When choosing between two evils, I always like to try the one I\'ve never tried before. - Mae West
Experience is what keeps a man who makes the same mistake twice from admitting it the third time around.
motoged
Elite Nomad

Mood: Gettin' Better

[*] posted on 10-21-2017 at 02:07 PM

Two dirtbikers pulled in Bahia Asuncion last December having riding off-road from Bahia Tortugas....just getting into town, they saw me driving my truck w/ KTM in back and waved me over....and asked if I had a master link clip I could sell them....

As I had three in tool kit, I sold them one....they rode about 15-20 miles with the chain held in place with that wire set up into Asuncion.....

I learned something that day....:light:

Don't believe everything you think....
fishbuck
Banned

[*] posted on 10-21-2017 at 02:22 PM

Cool. Never would have though of this.

"A ship in harbor is safe, but that is not what ships are built for." J. A. Shedd.

A clever person solves a problem. A wise person avoids it. – Albert Einstein

"Life's a Beach... and then you Fly!" Fishbuck

Sr.vienes
Nomad

[*] posted on 10-21-2017 at 02:29 PM

That wire trick can work but in the words of Elmer Fud you gotta be “verwey verwey careful” I’m sure the number of backtrack walked miles looking for the “Jesus clip” must be astronomical, but has anybody ever found one?????

blackwolfmt
Senior Nomad

Mood: dreamin of Riden out a hurricane in Baja

[*] posted on 10-21-2017 at 02:36 PM

that's why I carry 2 spares in my pack, actually gave one to a needy soul back in the woods last summer he was very thankful being his truck was about 30 miles of single track away,

So understand dont waste your time always searching for those wasted years
face up and make your stand and realize that your living in the golden years
fishbuck
Banned

[*] posted on 10-21-2017 at 02:48 PM

True. If I can remember to bring wire I can remember to bring a bag full of master clips.

"A ship in harbor is safe, but that is not what ships are built for." J. A. Shedd.

A clever person solves a problem. A wise person avoids it. – Albert Einstein

"Life's a Beach... and then you Fly!" Fishbuck

bajatrailrider
Super Nomad

Mood: Happy

[*] posted on 10-21-2017 at 05:28 PM

I have spare Master link on my clutch cable and few more different sizes. For the non thinkers. Speaking of trouble I need travel 300 miles or more south. To help friend that had to leave bike in a canyon. Cant get to bike with a truck or ATV. Will be a hard to get bike out big project. Also when your OLD make sure you bring reading glasses. So you can see the clip JAAAAAA
KurtG
Super Nomad

Mood: Press On Regardless!!

[*] posted on 10-21-2017 at 07:19 PM

Quote: Originally posted by bajatrailrider  
I have spare Master link on my clutch cable and few more different sizes. For the non thinkers. Speaking of trouble I need travel 300 miles or more south. To help friend that had to leave bike in a canyon. Cant get to bike with a truck or ATV. Will be a hard to get bike out big project. Also when your OLD make sure you bring reading glasses. So you can see the clip JAAAAAA

I'm curious about if you use a riveted master link or not. I went to that style years ago and have not had any chain problems since but I am not a real dirt rider like you. I still carry a spare clip type master link and chain breaker along but have never had to use it. Before going to the rivet style master link I lost clips and side plates from time to time. In the last 2-3 years I have met 3 riders looking for a master link. In two cases I was able to donate a link that I had in my tool kit. I use DID X-ring 520 chain which only is supplied with the rivet link.
blackwolfmt
Senior Nomad

Mood: dreamin of Riden out a hurricane in Baja

[*] posted on 10-21-2017 at 07:35 PM

I like the master link style because its easier to take my chain off and clean it

So understand dont waste your time always searching for those wasted years
face up and make your stand and realize that your living in the golden years
bajatrailrider
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 10-22-2017 at 09:14 AM

My Wr450 comes with a riveted link when the super long lasting chain is shot. I will install new sprockets and chain with M Link here is why. Baja is famous for dirt bikes picking up wire around wheel and front sprocket .Also we have had branch on ground derail chain off rear sprocket. It ends up tripled over front sprocket. Also had small rock go between front sprocket and case saver jamming chain. On bikes with M Link 30min to one hour trail side fix. On endless type chain Nightmare Of course we ride horse trail and or no trail. So for road riders maybe great endless chain. For riding the wilds bush whacking yes you could loose clip. 10 min fix replace with spare M link. On endless chain you still need carry spare M link If chain brakes rare but does happen. As far as cleaning chain. Never done one yet My chains super long life firm believer in good chain oil. Riding partner would never oil his chain and make a mess on his bike. He says just replace every year, but he does not ride every week like me.
bajatrailrider
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 10-22-2017 at 09:20 AM

Yes on X ring chain I cant report how long it lasted would not believe me. I burned up 4 front sprockets bent teeth still used same chain 8 years.
willardguy
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 10-22-2017 at 09:59 AM

lol...as old district racers we would use multiple masterlinks to change wheelbase, long desert race's we would stretch it out far as possible, shorten for mx. im sure it was mostly in our head :rolleyes:
I was also a fan of the sideplate and clip on the inside, the premise being if that masterlink ever shot out it wouldn't blow a hole in the case.....great times!
KurtG
Super Nomad

Mood: Press On Regardless!!

[*] posted on 10-22-2017 at 10:24 AM

Yes on X ring chain I cant report how long it lasted would not believe me. I burned up 4 front sprockets bent teeth still used same chain 8 years.

Thanks for the response, I figured that hard core dirt riders would have a different perspective than a dual sport rider like me. As to chain life I swear this is true. My last DID X-ring chain with OEM rear sprocket and JT front went 43,000 miles on my KLR before I replaced them and they were still in serviceable condition. Changed them out because I was headed for Mulege which is 1000 miles of pavement for me. I do clean and lube my chain regularly but am not obsessive about it. Also am doing much more highway riding than off pavement these days. I'm headed for Mulege/Loreto in a couple of weeks and am debating between riding my KLR or my 1100cc Suzuki shaft drive bike. Since I am riding alone the bigger bike forces me to stay on the highway which is probably a good thing.
del mar
Banned

Mood: lil' fuzzy

[*] posted on 10-22-2017 at 10:33 AM

Quote: Originally posted by willardguy  
lol...as old district racers we would use multiple masterlinks to change wheelbase, long desert race's we would stretch it out far as possible, shorten for mx. im sure it was mostly in our head :rolleyes:
I was also a fan of the sideplate and clip on the inside, the premise being if that masterlink ever shot out it wouldn't blow a hole in the case.....great times!

bet the rich kids had TWO chains!:yes:
ehall
Super Nomad

Mood: It's 5 o'clock somewhere

[*] posted on 10-22-2017 at 11:29 AM

That sounds like a tough rescue. Wish I could help. Nice of you to carry different size master links. I keep 2 520 links in my tool bag.
bajatrailrider
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 10-22-2017 at 07:20 PM

Quote: Originally posted by KurtG  

Thanks for the response, I figured that hard core dirt riders would have a different perspective than a dual sport rider like me. As to chain life I swear this is true. My last DID X-ring chain with OEM rear sprocket and JT front went 43,000 miles on my KLR before I replaced them and they were still in serviceable condition. Changed them out because I was headed for Mulege which is 1000 miles of pavement for me. I do clean and lube my chain regularly but am not obsessive about it. Also am doing much more highway riding than off pavement these days. I'm headed for Mulege/Loreto in a couple of weeks and am debating between riding my KLR or my 1100cc Suzuki shaft drive bike. Since I am riding alone the bigger bike forces me to stay on the highway which is probably a good thing.
Ok I believe you 43,000 miles on chain. My 07wr450 sold in July 2014 48,000 miles chain and rear sprocket all off road. I don't even believe this myself. Smart to stay out of deep sand with heavy bike and no knobby tires. Years ago at night BMW dual sport. Girl on back my dog riding on gas tank they had to walk. While I got the bike past the sand wash never again.
bajatrailrider
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 10-22-2017 at 07:22 PM

Quote: Originally posted by ehall  

That sounds like a tough rescue. Wish I could help. Nice of you to carry different size master links. I keep 2 520 links in my tool bag.
Ed the nightmare to get his bike maybe delay for one day we need third rider looking for JACK
bajatrailrider
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 10-25-2017 at 03:52 PM

We got the bike back big adventure. One 700ATV/ One dirt bike/ to rescue bike. Also one loco Mexican cutting with machete on back my atv. All cactus that would not let ATV pass as trail was only one foot wide.
bajatrailrider
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 10-25-2017 at 06:41 PM

Quote: Originally posted by lencho  
All cactus that would not let ATV pass as trail was only one foot wide.

This is the point where Goat chimes in chiding you for cutting native plants and you come back with what a wimp he is. Yawn... :rolleyes:
Hey That fagot Mt666 can put it where the sun shines .Dont call him a goat they have a brains:lol:.
 Pages:  1  

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.