Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
Author: Subject: More information about TIPS in the free zone
Hook
Elite Nomad

Mood: Inquisitive

[*] posted on 10-24-2017 at 06:29 AM
More information about TIPS in the free zone

I received this from a firm I used to use (ADA/VIS GLOBAL) for insurance. Apparently they have gotten wind of the changing enforcement at many borders crossings along Mexico.

Not that this really clears anything up, IMO. But it does show the confusion with the Mexican government (even within the same division).

Lately we’ve been getting a lot of calls and e-mails about an article that was on the internet stating you need a Temporary Import Permit (T.I.P.) when you travel in the free zone area of Mexico.

Thinking this might be a new regulation, we contacted Banjercito. We were told no permit is needed. We then contacted the S.A.T. office (this is the Mexico IRS; Hacienda) in Tijuana and Mexico City, and they both said we do need a permit. So we didn’t know what to think; new regulation or miscommunication?

We contacted our best source, our attorney in Mexico, Gerardo Rivera Calderon and he said a visit to the S.A.T. office would be the best approach. He called me back shortly and said he reached out to personal contacts and we had an appointment within a week.

Last Wednesday, October 18, 2017, we met with Margarita Hidaigo Perez, Customer Service Representative at the S.A.T. office Tijuana, and when she heard our story she called her boss, Juan Carlos Aguilar Angulo, Manager of the S.A.T. office Tijuana. Our meetings lasted approximately two hours and yielded great information. Mr. Aguilar even called the head of the vehicle confiscation department, Mexico City to find out what his department was doing about these permits and he shared with Mr. Aguilar the following.

The current regulation for Motorhomes are:
• If you plan to leave a Motorhome in Mexico for more than 180 days (6mos.) you need the 10-year T.I.P. for all of Mexico including the free zone. However, they have no check points in Baja and no means of confiscating any vehicle.
• If you plan to take your Motorhome outside the free zone, you will need the T.I.P. (180-day max) permit (this is motor home you are bringing back within 180 days)
• Auto’s /Trucks - No vehicle permit is required in the free zone of which is all of Baja
• Boat permits are required everywhere in Mexico.

Both of these managers said that a management employee of Aduana, the vehicle division of S.A.T. is working at the 800 number and web site area that accepts applications and what that department says is needed comes from the government and all department will consider their decision final!

We were referred to and given copies of what is on the official S.A.T. website that explains T.I.P.’s and the free zones in Mexico. I have copies of everything and if enough of our clients want copies, we’ll send them out in another Blog.

We hope this has cleared up any miscommunication about these important issues.

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.