Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Morelia road and San Felipe Improvements
PaulW
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 10-24-2017 at 07:38 PM
Morelia road and San Felipe Improvements

Today I found the Morelia road from Hwy5 is being paved. (Morelia road starts at the SF storage and cuts thru ElDorado Ranch south of Zoo/Saltito road). Today the first coating of tar just goes for a short distance. A bypass one lane road is provided for travel. Then further west is all new road base. At the crossing of Powerline and Zoo/Saltito the level of the grade of the road has been increased quite a bit. Just past the "hippy camp" they are constructing a new culvert to go with the wider roadbed. Then further west another culvert. Driving past these construction areas is a new haul road off to the side. One lane which required 4wd to get out of the way of the huge dump trucks hauling road base.

In San Felipe the main drag has been newly paved. No stripes yet. All the bumps and wash board are gone for now.
BajaNomad
Super Administrator
Thread Moved
10-24-2017 at 10:30 PM
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 10-25-2017 at 09:01 AM

Thanks, Paul.

The 'Morelia Road' goes west from Hwy. 5 at Km. 181 and is the way to enter Valle Chico. The valley between the coastal range and the high sierra.

A fork in 12.8 miles gives you the choice of going right (original Ensenada/San Felipe road) to Diablo Dry Lake or left to Agua Caliente, Berrendo, Parral, or MatomĂ­ Canyons.

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

ehall
Super Nomad

Mood: It's 5 o'clock somewhere

[*] posted on 10-25-2017 at 09:15 AM

why would they pave that? Is there something big happening out there? Another Eldorado perhaps.
Udo
Elite Nomad

Mood: TEQUILA!

[*] posted on 10-25-2017 at 09:25 AM

My question exactly!

Quote: Originally posted by ehall  
why would they pave that? Is there something big happening out there? Another Eldorado perhaps.

Udo

Youth is wasted on the young!

StuckSucks
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 10-25-2017 at 10:12 AM

Creeping black death.

ehall
Super Nomad

Mood: It's 5 o'clock somewhere

[*] posted on 10-25-2017 at 10:39 AM

Maybe Jose commissioned it. Sell more beer to tourist in cars than on bikes and 4x4's
PaulW
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 10-25-2017 at 03:26 PM

Found some time for more details off my GPS
Hwy5 K181 31 05.896, -114 53.565
Power Line and Saltito junction 31 04.512, -114 57.859
B1K Zoo/Saltito race crossing and Hippy Camp 31 04.298, -114 58.509
1st New culvert 31 04.424, -114 58.075
2nd New Culvert 31 04.341, -114 58.976
End of construction (at the 2nd culvert) 31 04.317, -114 59.040
Length of construction is 5.77 miles I have no info if that distance will be paved?
The image below also shows the 17B1K track which follows the traditional track from Diablo to Morelia junction the follows a new track north of the Morelia road. Then crosses the Morelia road at the usual track and heads down the dump road.

Morelia road.jpg - 229kB
StuckSucks
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 10-25-2017 at 04:16 PM

PaulW: you should modify the title of this post -- place the word "improvements" in quotes.

meme
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 10-26-2017 at 06:04 AM

The road is being paved at the request of farm to market ranchers. It was so bad that the produce was being damaged in transport in the trucks & not salable after being in those trucks. If you are an EDR resident & attend meetings or read minutes from the Town Hall meetings you would see & hear the "Why" of these issues.:?:
PaulW
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 10-26-2017 at 07:03 AM

meme, I am just a reporter regarding present road condition. You an I are residents the others have no clue about such meetings. I did not ask why.
Being a part timer snowbird and a busy travel schedule for sure I miss many of the meetings. Thanks for telling all about "WHY". Seems like a good reason for road improvement.
David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 10-26-2017 at 07:55 AM

Is there that much (grocery store ready) produce grown in Valle Chico? What is the product, if you know?
Thank you!

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

PaulW
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 10-26-2017 at 07:59 AM

Time for more exploration to find the source of the produce.
PaulW
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 4-14-2018 at 03:01 PM

Today on Morelia road
Stripes and KM signs

P4142271.JPG - 82kB P4142272.JPG - 81kB
David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 4-14-2018 at 03:16 PM

Thanks. What kilometer is the end of pavement? It looks like 10, yes? On my phone so hard to see.

[Edited on 4-14-2018 by David K]

PaulW
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 4-14-2018 at 03:25 PM

Quote: Originally posted by David K  
Thanks. What kilometer is the end of pavement? It looks like 10, yes? On my phone so hard to see.

[Edited on 4-14-2018 by David K]

=====
Yes, 10
All the other markers were present.
I did not get close enough for clarity. Ha - the guys up front were slowing down for the dirt.
HeyMulegeScott
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 4-21-2018 at 07:40 AM

I was out there yesterday. Looks like they are done working on it? Was the part about produce a joke? I've only seen little ranches out there.

Went to Diablo Dry Lake and tried to buy a beer from Jose but he was no around. San Felipe 250 really beat up a section of the road coming in.

David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 4-21-2018 at 09:50 AM

Odd indeed, rarely do they build a highway BEFORE it is needed!

Here is my edited San Felipe Area Map showing the 10 kms. of new paving...

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.