BajaNomad
Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  
Author: Subject: Family Coming For Fresh Loster Meal, Any Recommendations?
GypsyJan
Nomad

Mood: "If a dog will not come to you after looking you in the face, examine your conscience." Woodrow W

[*] posted on 10-29-2017 at 06:40 PM
Family Coming For Fresh Loster Meal, Any Recommendations?

In Rosarito, preferably.
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 10-29-2017 at 06:47 PM

Lobster?
Puerto Nuevo. Many places.
However, they should have them in Rosarito. There used to be an Ortega's Restaurant in Rosarito...?

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

BajaBlanca
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 10-29-2017 at 07:06 PM

Come down to La Bocana

:biggrin:

Wish I could help more.

Come visit La Bocana

https://sites.google.com/view/bajabocanahotel/home

And always remember, life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by those moments that take our breath away.
gsbotanico
Nomad

[*] posted on 10-30-2017 at 06:47 PM

Probably best to go to Puerto Nuevo and a restaurant like La Casa de la Langosta if you're looking for a more upscale place.

There is Restaurant de Langosta la Guerita in Rosarito. Google this to see what it looks like.

I haven't had lobster in the Rosarito area recently, except in Popotla, which is more downscale.
willardguy
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 10-30-2017 at 06:51 PM

Quote: Originally posted by gsbotanico  
Probably best to go to Puerto Nuevo and a restaurant like La Casa de la Langosta if you're looking for a more upscale place.

There is Restaurant de Langosta la Guerita in Rosarito. Google this to see what it looks like.

I haven't had lobster in the Rosarito area recently, except in Popotla, which is more downscale.

I would choose Vince's over Blondies
GypsyJan
Nomad

Mood: "If a dog will not come to you after looking you in the face, examine your conscience." Woodrow W

[*] posted on 10-30-2017 at 07:11 PM
Thank You for Your Input

Someone was strongly recommending Sandra's in Puerto Nuevo.

I have never been there, any comments?

http://www.sandraspuertonuevo.com.mx/
Udo
Elite Nomad

Mood: TEQUILA!

[*] posted on 10-31-2017 at 08:26 AM

I am fairly sure that this information is common knowledge. But there are only two families that own all the restaurants in Puerto Nuevo.

That is the reason lobsters and trimmings seem to taste the same no matter where you go. :bounce:

My personal favorite is Villa Ortega's because I like to sit on the outside deck and watch the waves break about 20' below me. (Villa Ortega's is the restaurant with the large prop and a shark at the entrance, and is the only one that actually owns a parking lot for their guests).

Udo

Youth is wasted on the young!

gsbotanico
Nomad

[*] posted on 10-31-2017 at 10:54 AM

Quote: Originally posted by Udo  
I am fairly sure that this information is common knowledge. But there are only two families that own all the restaurants in Puerto Nuevo.

I didn't know this and never heard it. I was aware that there were connected family running different restaurants. I remember the old days when Puerto Nuevo didn't formally exist and a few humble places were selling cheap lobster tacos.

It's certainly true that the Puerto Nuevo style of cooking has produced a sameness in the restaurants in Puerto Nuevo. It's been phenomenally successful and been imitated everywhere, even in the US. There's a street hustle for customers that rivals what Avenida Revolución used to be like before the drug violence in Tijuana.

I've eaten at a number of different restaurants there over the years. I'm hard pressed to recommend any one over another for the first time visitor. Pick one out by the atmosphere. And if it passes the smell test, give it a try.
BajaGeoff
Super Nomad

Mood: Heading To Baja!!!

[*] posted on 10-31-2017 at 10:56 AM

I have eaten at Sandra's a couple times. The food is very good and I would definitely recommend it!

mtgoat666
Select Nomad

Mood: Hot n spicy

[*] posted on 10-31-2017 at 11:07 AM

Quote: Originally posted by gsbotanico  
Quote: Originally posted by Udo  

It's certainly true that the Puerto Nuevo style of cooking has produced a sameness in the restaurants in Puerto Nuevo.

Lobster often tastes the same no matter who cooks it. In the typical fashion, can only vary the taste with sauces. And really can't complain about butter, garlic -- goes great with most any crustacean.
It's super easy to cook at home, so enjoy it at home and skip the crowds and over-priced same-old-same-old.

After vistiting puerto nuevo, I assumed that "Ortega" was local word for "lobster" :lol::lol::lol::lol:

El Rosario is kind of a tourist trap, I avoid it.

Woke!

“...ask not what your country can do for you – ask what you can do for your country.” “My fellow citizens of the world: ask not what America will do for you, but what together we can do for the freedom of man.”

Prefered gender pronoun: the royal we

woody with a view
PITA Nomad

Mood: Everchangin'

[*] posted on 10-31-2017 at 11:07 AM

I dont see what others like about burnt greasy lobster. Boiled and finished in the broiler for me!

tiotomasbcs
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 10-31-2017 at 01:33 PM

Halatosis in Ensenada...lot's of excelent platillos..
BajaTed
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 11-1-2017 at 07:50 PM

Quote: Originally posted by tiotomasbcs  

A restaurant named after Bad Breath, only in Baja:lol::lol::lol:

Es Todo Bueno
BajaTed
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 11-1-2017 at 08:04 PM

Ensenada fish market, stall is on on the east side, sold from a bucket on the ground you point at. (Shhhh)

Puerto Nuevo - 1956 is a dual kitchen restaurant, the southern one is more formal, their smoked marlin is GOOD. Same waiters there for over twenty years, they treat you like a Patron, Try the Mexican coffee for desert, they prepare it old school style

Es Todo Bueno
KurtG
Super Nomad

Mood: Press On Regardless!!

[*] posted on 11-1-2017 at 08:19 PM

Quote: Originally posted by BajaTed  
Quote: Originally posted by tiotomasbcs  

A restaurant named after Bad Breath, only in Baja:lol::lol::lol:

Haliotis. Means Abalone.
BajaNomad
Super Administrator
Thread Moved
11-1-2017 at 08:23 PM
GypsyJan
Nomad

[*] posted on 11-3-2017 at 07:36 PM

Quote: Originally posted by woody with a view  
I dont see what others like about burnt greasy lobster. Boiled and finished in the broiler for me!

I agree, I always order "al vapor", or in English, "steamed".
GypsyJan
Nomad

[*] posted on 11-3-2017 at 07:42 PM

Quote: Originally posted by BajaTed  
Ensenada fish market, stall is on on the east side, sold from a bucket on the ground you point at. (Shhhh)

Puerto Nuevo - 1956 is a dual kitchen restaurant, the southern one is more formal, their smoked marlin is GOOD. Same waiters there for over twenty years, they treat you like a Patron, Try the Mexican coffee for desert, they prepare it old school style

Just to be clear, are you recommending Puerto Nuevo I or Puerto Nuevo II restaurant?
Bubba
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 11-4-2017 at 07:10 AM

With plenty of drawn butter.

Making America Great Again
mtgoat666
Select Nomad

Mood: Hot n spicy

[*] posted on 11-4-2017 at 07:33 AM

Quote: Originally posted by Bubba  

With plenty of drawn butter.

Butter. Because they really aren’t very good on their own!

There are better shellfish that don’t require sauces, condiments to taste good. For example, Dungeness crab, blue crab,...
The baja lobster are just so-so.
There are better foods out there, so don’t settle for dry baja lobster that requires butter to choke it down!

Woke!

“...ask not what your country can do for you – ask what you can do for your country.” “My fellow citizens of the world: ask not what America will do for you, but what together we can do for the freedom of man.”

Prefered gender pronoun: the royal we

willardguy
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 11-4-2017 at 09:11 AM

the pioneers of puerto nuevo have always eaten their lobster with mayonnaise rather than butter, not surprising, to me anyway mexican butter is plain awful!
 Pages:  1  

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.