Pages:  1    3
Author: Subject: How bout them Dodgers
MrBillM
Platinum Nomad

Mood: It's a Zip-a-Dee-Doo-Dah Day

[*] posted on 11-3-2017 at 11:24 AM
Getting Worse, BUT ..................

It's been going on for a LONG while.

Back in '95 at Jack Murphy for a Padres game, my wife asked WHY (early in the game) that the players for both sides were simply standing around and waiting.

"TV Commercial".

Another upside to giving up on attending MLB games in favor of Class A.

No TV.
Paco Facullo
Super Nomad

Mood: Abiding ..........

[*] posted on 11-3-2017 at 11:56 AM

Answer to the vary annoying commercials is a DVR....

I skip through them like they were water.. LOVE IT !!!!
elgatoloco
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 11-3-2017 at 12:07 PM

GO RAMS! :saint:

MAGA
Making Attorneys Get Attorneys

Skipjack Joe
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 11-3-2017 at 12:15 PM

I didn't watch the whole series but there will be a lot of second guessing about using that starting pitcher for the 7th game. He essentially lost the game for them. The reason given for the start was that he was the most rested. That is really bad coaching. The ONLY reason the Giants won there last world series is because Bumgarner pitched and won 3 games. Bochy is a great coach. A good coach will win at least one game in a series just with his decisions.
thebajarunner
Ultra Nomad

Mood: muy amable

[*] posted on 11-3-2017 at 02:24 PM
Bruce Bochy is the manager

Quote: Originally posted by Skipjack Joe  
I didn't watch the whole series but there will be a lot of second guessing about using that starting pitcher for the 7th game. He essentially lost the game for them. The reason given for the start was that he was the most rested. That is really bad coaching. The ONLY reason the Giants won there last world series is because Bumgarner pitched and won 3 games. Bochy is a great coach. A good coach will win at least one game in a series just with his decisions.

Bochy is the manager,
Dave Righetti was the pitching coach.
I can assure you that it was Righetti's idea, implemented by a great manager.
The word around is that Darvish was so well scouted and known by these guys that they could read his pitches by the way he made his grip.
So, they knew when it was released whether it was fast ball or breaking pitch
Some pretty interesting video on line if you are interested.
sancho
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 11-3-2017 at 02:35 PM

Not to get too mushy, but the New Orleans Saints won after
Katrina, Houston won after Harvey

willardguy
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 11-3-2017 at 04:18 PM

Quote: Originally posted by sancho  

Weinstein?
bajabuddha
Banned

Mood: Always cranky unless medicated

[*] posted on 11-3-2017 at 04:43 PM

Quote: Originally posted by sancho  

6 foot invisible rabbit? :rolleyes:

I don't have a BUCKET LIST, but I do have a F***- IT LIST a mile long!

86 - 45*

Skipjack Joe
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 11-4-2017 at 06:07 PM

Quote: Originally posted by thebajarunner  
Quote: Originally posted by Skipjack Joe  

Bochy is the manager,
Dave Righetti was the pitching coach.
I can assure you that it was Righetti's idea, implemented by a great manager.
The word around is that Darvish was so well scouted and known by these guys that they could read his pitches by the way he made his grip.
So, they knew when it was released whether it was fast ball or breaking pitch
Some pretty interesting video on line if you are interested.

Darvish should've been yanked after the first inning. It's the 7th game of the world series. There is no tomorrow. How can anyone allow a 5-0 lead in 2 innings. Darvish was bad but the manager let him do the damage. A lot of those pitches were fat ones over the plate.
Hook
Elite Nomad

Mood: Inquisitive

[*] posted on 11-4-2017 at 06:33 PM

Well, the Bellinger error in the first inning was HUGE! If he throws out Bregman, the Astros have a runner on third with one out, instead of a run in and a runner on second with no outs. They probably only get one run that inning. You cand blame Darvish for that.

I dont think Darvish was telegraphing pitches as much as, for the second straight start, he had no slider and no good splitter. Just not much movement on his pitches.

Roberts' strategy was probably always to bring in Kershaw with the game close (hopefully, with a lead), after Darvish got them through at least four innings. It didnt happen. The Astros scored quickly in both innings; so quickly that it wasnt possible to bring in Kershaw that quickly. The rest of the bullpen was overtaxed, if you remember. He was forced to use Kershaw just to keep the game close. Probably, the plan was to have Kershaw get them through innings 5-7 or 8, and turn the game over to Jansen. It didnt happen.

And when you think about how terrible the Astros bullpen had been for the entire series, a 5-0 lead after 1.5 innings, with a lineup like the Dodgers, is still not out of hand (usually). I fully expected the Dodgers to make it close, as McCullars didnt look very good, either.

Then, the tough-luck line outs happened to the Dodgers..............

Congratulations to the Astros.

I love how organizations that have not won the World Series in a long time ( or NEVER won it ) have gotten that WS win in the last 10-15 years. The Red Sox, the White Sox, the Cubs, the Astros, the Phillies, etc. Heck, if you go back to 2001, there have been three organizations that have won it for the first time (Astros, Angels, Diamondbacks) and several that have won it for the first time in many years (including the Giants of 2010, and the others mentioned above).

It has now been 17 years since an organization has won back-to-back World Series. Parity is great, for the whole league.

[Edited on 11-5-2017 by Hook]
BornFisher
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 11-4-2017 at 08:57 PM

Hook, well said. What was killing me early was McCullers hitting every other Dodger who came to the plate!! And Belinger, that was just bad fundamentals to sling side arm!
Now IMO, this Dodger team is the best Dodger team I`ve ever seen (since 1959). And this WS was even better that last year!!!

"When you catch a fish, you open the door of happiness."
Skipjack Joe
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 11-5-2017 at 11:53 AM

That's right. This was a good Dodger team. It was a better team than the Astros. It lost because of inferior managements. In fact the Dodgers have been underperforming in the post season for several years now. Every year they're predicted to do better than they end up doing. The Giants have done more with less and the Dodgers have done less with more. Therefore one team has been called lucky and the other unlucky.

You can have all the plans you want with Kershaw before the game but after the first pitch is thrown you react to the situation.
 Pages:  1    3

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.