Printable Version  
 Pages:  1    3
Author: Subject: From TJ airport to OC
Hook
Elite Nomad

Mood: Inquisitive

[*] posted on 11-4-2017 at 08:48 PM
From TJ airport to OC

Looks like I might be flying up to TJ and then figuring out how to get to South OC from there, using public transportation. What's the easiest way? Will I be using the CBX bridge? If so, what then?
rdrrm8e
Nomad

[*] posted on 11-4-2017 at 08:53 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Hook  
Looks like I might be flying up to TJ and then figuring out how to get to South OC from there, using public transportation. What's the easiest way? Will I be using the CBX bridge? If so, what then?

Metrolink?
Amtrak?
Uber?

Or maybe I will pick up Earl and we can drive down and pick you up?
woody with a view
PITA Nomad

Mood: Everchangin'

[*] posted on 11-5-2017 at 07:28 AM

Tj
Trolley to downtown SD
Cross street to Amtrak station
Viola

rhintransit
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 11-5-2017 at 08:24 AM

TJ airport, CBX crossing, no trolley there. you can Uber to downtown SD/Amtrak station. I think that some of the airlines have/had transport to SD, but don't have info on that. ask your airline. or check TJ airport and/or CBX websites for transportation options.

reality\'s never been of much use out here...
bajaguy
Elite Nomad

Mood: must be 5 O'clock somewhere in Baja

[*] posted on 11-5-2017 at 08:38 AM

This is perfect, inexpensive with the least hassle.
Uber or Lyft from the TJ Airport or CBX to San Ysidro, Blue line trolly to American Plaza, walk across the street to Santa Fe station, take the Amtrak Pacific Surfliner to Santa Ana, Irvine or Anaheim .

Great ride, free coffee, juice and pastry on the Surfliner

Quote: Originally posted by woody with a view  
Tj
Trolley to downtown SD
Cross street to Amtrak station
Viola

[Edited on 11-5-2017 by bajaguy]
Bob and Susan
Elite Nomad

Mood: Full Time Residents

[*] posted on 11-5-2017 at 08:43 AM

hook...its east to get to OC but with NO CAR you are screwed...

you could cross at CBX crossing and then get enterprise to pick you up to rent a small car

there is NO easy around southern California without a car

our website is:
http://www.mulege.org
bajaguy
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 11-5-2017 at 08:48 AM

Lyft is very inexpensive, cheaper than renting a car

Quote: Originally posted by Bob and Susan  
hook...its east to get to OC but with NO CAR you are screwed...

you could cross at CBX crossing and then get enterprise to pick you up to rent a small car

there is NO easy around southern California without a car
Bob and Susan
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 11-5-2017 at 08:58 AM

there is NOTHING better than having your own transportation sitting in the driveway or parking lot

i'd rent a car for the trip...unless hes going north to buy a car or truck

our website is:
bajaguy
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 11-5-2017 at 09:59 AM

Used Lyft to travel all over Seattle last week from 1:30am arrival to 7am departure. Easy, inexpensive and fast. Did not wait any longer than 5 minutes for any ride. No cash transactions between you and driver. Three days of Lyft rides were cheaper than renting a car and parking fees..........if you have not tried it, don't knock it

https://www.lyft.com/signup

there is NOTHING better than having your own transportation sitting in the driveway or parking lot

i'd rent a car for the trip...unless hes going north to buy a car or truck
Bob and Susan
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 11-5-2017 at 10:18 AM

but...that's NOT southern california

our website is:
bajaguy
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 11-5-2017 at 10:21 AM

Comparable Bobby. Research it.

but...that's NOT southern california
pacsur
Nomad

[*] posted on 11-5-2017 at 10:58 AM

I just returned from flying into San Diego a week ago after a 4 day trip, we used uber for all local travel, rented a car for 2 days to go up to south oc.
My opinion is if your staying at somewhat decent hotels nowadays the parking fees make using uber or lyft an easy decesion, uber was also less than half the price of an airport taxi downtown.
Otherwise, use uber/lyft to trolley, then train as others recommend, I think it comes down to how much time you will be up there, and if you will need a car when you reach your destination?
fandango
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 11-5-2017 at 11:44 AM

Hook: if you use lyft let us know your expenses. Will be good info for others in the future.

sbwontoo
bajaguy
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 11-5-2017 at 11:52 AM

I believe you can go to their web site and get estimates

Quote: Originally posted by fandango  
Hook: if you use lyft let us know your expenses. Will be good info for others in the future.
fandango
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 11-5-2017 at 11:54 AM

Here is some pricing.
Lyft from cbx to san Amtrak: 30-32.00
Amtrak unreserved coach seat SAN-SNC: 22.00

sbwontoo
Hook
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 11-5-2017 at 12:11 PM

Getting some interesting offers from The Dark Side and, conversely, organic growers. Those offers are much appreciated but, guys, you are a ways away. This is SD, where the traffic can be worse than LA, right? At least it used to be. I'm not saying NO...........yet! But let me see how easy I can do this on my own. Good practice for Italy, Croatia and Slovenia next spring, this public transportation planning.........

I am Uber and Lyft compliant. I really dont need a car at my destination as my old friends from 55 years of living in the OC will take care of me. I hope. Heck, maybe THEY will come get me; I just want to have this method in my back pocket, if needed.

So, it looks like that model of practical thinking, bajaguy, is describing the best plan. But one point of clarification: can I actually take Uber or Lyft ACROSS THE BORDER, and avoid the CBX bridge? Wont he/she have to get in line at the Otay vehicle crossing, after picking me up?

Or is it more desirable to simply cross the CBX bridge and request an Uber/Lyft driver to meet me on the US end of the CBX bridge. They must be very familiar with that.

Another advantage with Uber/Lyft is that they would probably allow me to bypass the trolley; taking me straight to the Amtrak station.

Am I on the right path, here?

Hook
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 11-5-2017 at 12:15 PM

Man, oh man, I am so glad to have the Nomad Travel Agency at my disposal. This is great!

And no stinkin' Facebook, so far.............

Doug, you gotta keep this site going. The new social media sites are sooo Brave New World to us oldsters.
bajaguy
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 11-5-2017 at 12:30 PM

Take the CBX across to the US side, get Lyft to either the Blue Line or the Santa Fe station.....yup, you are on the right track (pun intended)

Quote: Originally posted by Hook  
Getting some interesting offers from The Dark Side and, conversely, organic growers. Those offers are much appreciated but, guys, you are a ways away. This is SD, where the traffic can be worse than LA, right? At least it used to be. I'm not saying NO...........yet! But let me see how easy I can do this on my own. Good practice for Italy, Croatia and Slovenia next spring, this public transportation planning.........

I am Uber and Lyft compliant. I really dont need a car at my destination as my old friends from 55 years of living in the OC will take care of me. I hope. Heck, maybe THEY will come get me; I just want to have this method in my back pocket, if needed.

So, it looks like that model of practical thinking, bajaguy, is describing the best plan. But one point of clarification: can I actually take Uber or Lyft ACROSS THE BORDER, and avoid the CBX bridge? Wont he/she have to get in line at the Otay vehicle crossing, after picking me up?

Or is it more desirable to simply cross the CBX bridge and request an Uber/Lyft driver to meet me on the US end of the CBX bridge. They must be very familiar with that.

Another advantage with Uber/Lyft is that they would probably allow me to bypass the trolley; taking me straight to the Amtrak station.

Am I on the right path, here?

danaeb
Senior Nomad

Mood: groovy

[*] posted on 11-5-2017 at 12:44 PM

Yes Hook you are on the right path. Get your CBX ticket online before you go and print it out. Uber and Lyft drivers know the flight arrival times and I've never waited longer than 5 mins to meet the ride. Go straight to Amtrak (if that's what you decide to do). I live in North Park and my fare is +/- $30. I would think it would be similar distance to Amtrak.

Experience enables you to recognize a mistake every time you repeat it.
Elena La Loca
Nomad

[*] posted on 11-5-2017 at 12:47 PM

I, too, am researching options for flying into TIJ & getting to Oceanside after we do our Baja 1000 duties. In years past, I've taken Cruceros straight from the airport for something ridiculously cheap (like $15 if I remember correctly). Haven't booked anything yet and am waiting for the frugal Baja Nomad Travel Agency to come up with more options.
 Pages:  1    3

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.