Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  2  
Author: Subject: From TJ airport to OC
danaeb
Senior Nomad

Mood: groovy

[*] posted on 11-5-2017 at 12:53 PM

Elena - you can do the same thing, except take the "Coaster" from Amtrak to Oceanside.

Experience enables you to recognize a mistake every time you repeat it.
bajaguy
Elite Nomad

Mood: must be 5 O'clock somewhere in Baja

[*] posted on 11-5-2017 at 12:55 PM

If you want frugal, walk across the CBX bridge to the US side, take Lyft or Uber to the nearest Blue Line trolly. Blue line to American Plaza downtown, walk across the street to the Santa Fe station and take the Coaster from San Diego to O'side

Quote: Originally posted by Elena La Loca  
I, too, am researching options for flying into TIJ & getting to Oceanside after we do our Baja 1000 duties. In years past, I've taken Cruceros straight from the airport for something ridiculously cheap (like $15 if I remember correctly). Haven't booked anything yet and am waiting for the frugal Baja Nomad Travel Agency to come up with more options.
surfhat
Nomad

[*] posted on 11-5-2017 at 01:03 PM

Hook, I can't compete with Uber or Lyft, but with my MB Sprinter van limo at your call, you can travel in comfort and style to the OC. I sometimes do drop offs and pickups at LA airport anytime, day or night, and charge for the trip, not by the person.

I am forty five minutes north of the border on a good day avoiding rush hours. Another hour and half or so from there to the OC at my $60/hourly rate should be about $150 or so, at the most. Uber and Lyft and public transportation on trains can add up to hours of your invaluable time.

I once took the bus and train from the SD airport to my North County SD train station for $5.50, and another $12 taxi ride to my home, a scant two miles away. Can't beat those costs, as long as time is not a factor. What is your time worth?

Peace, love and fish tacos to all nomads. Thanks to all here.

BTW, honor our veterans on Veterans Day. They are owed so much more than we could ever give back by our words of thanking them for their service to our nation.
woody with a view
PITA Nomad

Mood: Everchangin'

[*] posted on 11-5-2017 at 01:08 PM

Surfhat has a good biz model. What’s your day worth? Trains stop every 15-20 minutes and are no faster than driving.

LaTijereta
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 11-5-2017 at 01:08 PM

If Cruceros is still running those buses to the Oceanside Transit Station.. cheapest way to go from TJ Airport.. maybe not the quickest with the wait times..
To get back to South O, I have been flying into TJ and using the CBX to cross to a waiting ride...

Democracy is like two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote.

Ben Franklin (1759)
ncampion
Super Nomad

Mood: Retired and Loving it

[*] posted on 11-5-2017 at 01:11 PM

The CBX makes crossing super easy, no messing with immigration or custions. don't even consider saving the $15. Uber is right outside the door and waiting, last time it was $24 to Amtrak station. Amtrak was $22 to San Juan Capistrano. Can't be easier.

Living Large in Loreto. Off-grid and happy.
surfhat
Nomad

[*] posted on 11-5-2017 at 01:19 PM

Hey Woody, it would be a pleasure to meet you and drive you wherever you and your party may want to go.

As for my daily rate, that depends on the definition a day, and how many hours might be involved. As a fellow Baja lover, I am sure I can beat any other private transportation service out there by a half to a third, with the exception of Uber and Lyft.

A local friend who has a taxi service charges over a $100 to the SD airport, and that might be by the person. I charge $70 for the trip, no matter how many passengers.

Wine country and brewery runs, airport drop offs and pick ups from here in SD up to LA, Vegas, and select Baja destinations are all possible. Guadalupe Valley and Shari's Magical Tours would be most welcome. Thanks to all here.
danaeb
Senior Nomad

Mood: groovy

[*] posted on 11-5-2017 at 01:21 PM

Quote: Originally posted by ncampion  
The CBX makes crossing super easy, no messing with immigration or custions.

Well, not exactly. When you cross the bridge and enter the US side you do have to go thru CBP and the luggage Xray, but the lines are short and move pretty quickly.

Experience enables you to recognize a mistake every time you repeat it.
Hook
Elite Nomad

Mood: Inquisitive

[*] posted on 11-5-2017 at 03:07 PM

Wondering about the return to TJ, right now. How long should I figure the walk to the TJ "skygates" will take me, from the time public/private transportation drops me at the US end of the CBX bridge? I am trying to work backwards from the flight departure at 0922 from TJ, to see how early I would have to leave the San Clemente train stop.

[Edited on 11-5-2017 by Hook]
Bob and Susan
Elite Nomad

Mood: Full Time Residents

[*] posted on 11-5-2017 at 03:23 PM

lets say the plane leaves at 9:22 wouldn't you want to be at the airport by 7am

do the trains run that early from OC?

I did the bus/train thing a couple of times...its NOT fun
it can be done in a pinch but a ride or car is way better

you WILL NOT have a good time and it WONT be cheap

our website is:
http://www.mulege.org
wilderone
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 11-5-2017 at 03:42 PM

For a general comparison, check out Greyhound at TJ Central bus station (very near airport), and get transportation to OC. You'll be in the TJ bus line, cross for customs, but re-board and head to final US destination.
Hook
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 11-5-2017 at 03:49 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Bob and Susan  
lets say the plane leaves at 9:22 wouldn't you want to be at the airport by 7am

do the trains run that early from OC?

I did the bus/train thing a couple of times...its NOT fun
it can be done in a pinch but a ride or car is way better

you WILL NOT have a good time and it WONT be cheap

No, I wouldnt want to be at the airport at 7am. It isnt an international flight. If I am at the gate at 0815-0830, I am fine.

I have NEVER observed the 2 hours/1 hour thing for international/domestic and never missed a flight. It's government propaganda for dimwits. :biggrin:

I will be carry-on only; just like my 5 week trips to Europe. Check-in, boarding pass in hand, head to the gate. I will have already cleared Mex Customs (such as it is :lol: ) at the CBX crossing.
Bob and Susan
Elite Nomad

Mood: Full Time Residents

[*] posted on 11-5-2017 at 03:53 PM

post your adventure...I might do it too ...one day

include the costs

remember its $311 hermasillo to john wayne in orange county

our website is:
http://www.mulege.org
Hook
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 11-6-2017 at 05:26 AM

I will keep track.

Who flies direct from HMO to John Wayne? I hadnt searched that, because I didnt think that existed.
Hook
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 11-6-2017 at 05:51 AM

It doesnt exist, near as I can tell.

The most direct is a nearly seven hour flight that routes through Phoenix for 668 R/T on Kayak, using American Airlines. Looks like taking Volaris, using Uber/Lyft (based on quotes posted here) and Amtrak would be about 350.00 R/T. And it would probably be a shorter trip, timewise, in one direction. Returning, it looks like a shorter layover in Phoenix.........but it is still 4.5 hours en transit.

The only "inconveniences" on the TJ route are the walk across the CBX bridge and whatever wait I might have at the Amtrak station for a train, north. I dont consider Uber/Lyft an inconvenience. My experience has been very positive, in all cases. So interesting to talk to drivers about these start-up firms and their experiences.

[Edited on 11-6-2017 by Hook]
mtgoat666
Select Nomad

Member Is Online

Mood: Hot n spicy

[*] posted on 11-6-2017 at 06:28 AM

fastest and most convenient route is the bus from TJ to Santa Ana. I think the uber, trolley, Amtrak combo has potential to waste a lot of time in transfers.

Woke!

“...ask not what your country can do for you – ask what you can do for your country.” “My fellow citizens of the world: ask not what America will do for you, but what together we can do for the freedom of man.”

Prefered gender pronoun: the royal we

Hook
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 11-6-2017 at 07:31 AM

Quote: Originally posted by mtgoat666  
fastest and most convenient route is the bus from TJ to Santa Ana. I think the uber, trolley, Amtrak combo has potential to waste a lot of time in transfers.

Mebbe, but I am not liking the idea of loading onto a bus, getting off at US customs, waiting in line with all the other bus passengers for customs and reloading onto the bus. That sounds longer than the cursory inspection at the CBX crossing. Remember, one carry on bag.

I think I would rather walk across the CBX bridge and get in a waiting Uber car. That seems preferable even with a minor wait in the Amtrak station. And if the timing is right (short wait at Amtrak) it is likely to be faster than the bus because that bus is going to stop a lot longer at places between SD and South OC than the train is.

Lot of hypotheticals here, admittedly.............

[Edited on 11-6-2017 by Hook]
pacsur
Nomad

[*] posted on 11-6-2017 at 09:39 AM

A lot depends if your trying to save time or money?
If you take an uber/lyft to San ysidro, there are vans leaving all the time to LA and Santa Ana, my buddies who live in San Clemente use it, it's usually $20usd to get dropped off at Cristianitos, you could probably get dropped off at almost any off ramp on the way north---go Tritons...

[Edited on 11-6-2017 by pacsur]
mtgoat666
Select Nomad

Member Is Online

Mood: Hot n spicy

[*] posted on 11-6-2017 at 09:46 AM

Quote: Originally posted by pacsur  
A lot depends if your trying to save time or money?
If you take an uber/lyft to San ysidro, there are vans leaving all the time to LA and Santa Ana, my buddies who live in San Clemente use it, it's usually $20usd to get dropped off at Cristianitos, you could probably get dropped off at almost any off ramp on the way north.

you are right. there are oodles of vans and busses departing san ysidro for points north in socal. if you go to amtrak in san diego, the trains only run every 2 hours at mid-day, so likely long wait for a train.

Woke!

“...ask not what your country can do for you – ask what you can do for your country.” “My fellow citizens of the world: ask not what America will do for you, but what together we can do for the freedom of man.”

Prefered gender pronoun: the royal we

woody with a view
PITA Nomad

Mood: Everchangin'

[*] posted on 11-6-2017 at 09:49 AM

We rode the train from SD to LA once. It took longer than if we would have driven even accounting for traffic. It isnt quick!

Pages:  1  2  

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.