Author: Subject: FMM Tourist Card
KasloKid
Nomad

[*] posted on 11-9-2017 at 09:46 AM

Quote: Originally posted by David K  
Quote: Originally posted by chrishaynesusa  
Quote: Originally posted by woody with a view  
So you only return them if flying or if they are the free version?

Yes, per the rules told me by INM officers at Mexicali this year... Flying, they are taken from you automatically. Driving, you need to figure how to get close to the INM on your drive home, then circle back through the city to get into the northbound lanes. Tecate is the easiest for that... again only for the FREE FMM.

can Tecate be used to depart and return the Payed for FMM while traveling trough Baja?

All border crossings issue the FMM. If you pay for the 180 day one, you do NOT have to return it.

Huh? You do NOT have to return it????
Where did you get this info from?
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 11-9-2017 at 09:50 AM

From the INM officers, themselves, every time I get a new one.
In fact, the one time I got the FREE FMM, just to see how that procedure goes, the issuing INM officer was very clear in that the free one must be turned back in when you exit Mexico, but the pay one did not.
This has been the case for several years, but some keep posting the old rules unaware of the changes.

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

bajaguy
Elite Nomad

Mood: must be 5 O'clock somewhere in Baja

[*] posted on 11-9-2017 at 09:54 AM

Pay for the 180 day FMM, worth the $23 not to put up with the hassle of trying to return the free one.....
PaulW
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 11-9-2017 at 09:54 AM

We were told keep the 180 and return the free 7 day.
Your experience will probably be different. Ask when you get the fmm. We returned a free 7 day one last week at Algodones where we obtained it and the guy was surprised, but entered the return into the database.
sancho
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 11-9-2017 at 02:00 PM

Quote: Originally posted by PaulW  
Your experience will probably be different. Ask when you get the fmm. We returned a free 7 day one last week at Algodones where we obtained it and the guy was surprised, but entered the return into the database.

That is the most accurate post re: returning fmm's, the Imm
regs are what the Imm Officer says they are at the time you
are talking to him. There is little consistent reg application.
Take for instance walking into TJ, using the ped crossing
east of the 5, Mex Imm desks are stationed just as you enter,
where you will get an fmm, 7 day or 180 to proceed, to return
one would be quite a task, walking wise, I can't imagine they
get one returned

KasloKid
Nomad

[*] posted on 11-9-2017 at 11:57 PM

Quote: Originally posted by PaulW  

That's interesting... last year and the previous year I enquired about a 7 day free FMM at Algodones for my son and was told I had to produce written hotel reservation proof. :?: (I had already gotten my 180 day one at San Luis). We instead crossed at the Mexicali West crossing and got one there.. returned it there as well.

[Edited on 11-10-2017 by KasloKid]
KasloKid
Nomad

[*] posted on 11-10-2017 at 12:02 AM

From the INM officers, themselves, every time I get a new one.
In fact, the one time I got the FREE FMM, just to see how that procedure goes, the issuing INM officer was very clear in that the free one must be turned back in when you exit Mexico, but the pay one did not.
This has been the case for several years, but some keep posting the old rules unaware of the changes.

I wonder if this policy is applicable in Baja only? I've gotten a few in the past at San Luis (Sonora) and was told every time that I had to return in prior to it expiring.
David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 11-10-2017 at 09:25 AM

It shouldn't be since the border is a federal not state controlled item.
About three years ago is when they seemed to clear up the fact that if you paid for 180 days, it should be valid for 180 days, not just one trip. What a mess at the border if people who take daily, weekly, or monthly trips had to stop every time, in and out?!!!

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

AKgringo
Elite Nomad

Mood: Retireded

[*] posted on 11-10-2017 at 09:57 AM
Just to refresh the confusion

Here is the link to the Mexican government information site; https://www.gob.mx/

It still says that the FMM is good for one visit. I believe you when you say that I could get away with multiple crossings, but that is not the way it is written!

EDIT; I apologize, the link is not the one I searched for and found in English!

[Edited on 11-10-2017 by AKgringo]

If you are not living on the edge, you are taking up too much space!

"Could do better if he tried!" Report card comments from most of my grade school teachers. Sadly, still true!
danaeb
Senior Nomad

Mood: groovy

[*] posted on 11-10-2017 at 10:31 AM

FWIW, I fly out of TIJ to La Paz every 2-3 months with a 180 day FMM. I have never had a problem with INM accepting it, as long as my stay doesn't exceed the expiration date.

Experience enables you to recognize a mistake every time you repeat it.
Paco Facullo
Super Nomad

Mood: Abiding ..........

[*] posted on 11-10-2017 at 10:35 AM

Well, as much as David K goes he probably knows all the boarder officers on a first name bases...

He only gets ONE every 180 day's or so...
David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 11-10-2017 at 10:53 AM

Quote: Originally posted by AKgringo  
Here is the link to the Mexican government information site; https://www.gob.mx/

It still says that the FMM is good for one visit. I believe you when you say that I could get away with multiple crossings, but that is not the way it is written!

Very possible they are only talking about the flying into Mexico FMM which is one time use. The driving into Mexico is unlimited over the 180 days. Government bureaucrats in Mexico City probably have no clue as to the Tijuana and other Baja border traffic situation or tourism use of cars.

David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 11-10-2017 at 10:55 AM

Quote: Originally posted by Paco Facullo  
Well, as much as David K goes he probably knows all the boarder officers on a first name bases...

He only gets ONE every 180 day's or so...

Most of the time (90%?) I don't talk to border people as I get the green light, or already have the FMM from the previous trip. I have gotten two FMMs in 2017. One at Mexicali West and one at Tijuana.

TMW
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 11-10-2017 at 10:57 AM

I get two per year and never turn them in. I have not been asked for one in at least 10 years. In the last 20 years only Guerrero Negro has ever asked for mine.
AKgringo
Elite Nomad

Mood: Retireded

[*] posted on 11-10-2017 at 11:10 AM

David, I failed to check the link I posted, but it was supposed to connect to the current English version of instructions for an on-line, FMM application for ground travel to Mexico.

If you are not living on the edge, you are taking up too much space!

"Could do better if he tried!" Report card comments from most of my grade school teachers. Sadly, still true!
mtgoat666
Select Nomad

Mood: Hot n spicy

[*] posted on 11-10-2017 at 11:30 AM

Quote: Originally posted by AKgringo  

Very possible they are only talking about the flying into Mexico FMM which is one time use. The driving into Mexico is unlimited over the 180 days. Government bureaucrats in Mexico City probably have no clue as to the Tijuana and other Baja border traffic situation or tourism use of cars.

David, you are silly and unwise to dismiss mexican bureaucrats as clueless. I am sure the mexican govt immigration customs/officials at all levels are aware of what goes on in Otay and Tijuana border xings, they are the country's busiest land crossing, and a huge amount of goods and people cross the border in TJ/Otay area --- and govt is not clueless about USA-mexico trade and immigration/travel.
I notice that the border operations have changed and continue to change, and it is obvious that the government is leading the changes, and given the huge amount of traffic that still flows relatively easily across the border, it does seem that the government is aware and competent - certainly not clueless.

If you are writing a guidebook for gringos traveling to baja, perhaps you should perhaps go meet the managers that run the border, interview the officials, before you spout off based on your anecdotal evidence crossing the border a couple times per year :light::light::light::light:
:light::light::light::light:
:light::light::light::light:

Woke!

“...ask not what your country can do for you – ask what you can do for your country.” “My fellow citizens of the world: ask not what America will do for you, but what together we can do for the freedom of man.”

Prefered gender pronoun: the royal we

David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 11-10-2017 at 12:13 PM

Quote: Originally posted by TMW  
I get two per year and never turn them in. I have not been asked for one in at least 10 years. In the last 20 years only Guerrero Negro has ever asked for mine.

The same here.

Goat, you are welcome to write your own guidebook containing all the love you have for bureaucracy and restrictions of freedom. My road guide is going to share what I saw traveling 15,000 miles in Baja this year as well some input from my previous 50+ years of traveling in Baja. I instruct readers on the process of getting an FMM at the border and there is no personal opinion included. The road guide can easily be upgraded for future changes.

JZ
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 11-10-2017 at 12:20 PM

P!sses me off that they take them when flying back. I just got one driving across and lost it flying back.

[Edited on 11-10-2017 by JZ]
JZ
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 11-10-2017 at 12:23 PM

Quote: Originally posted by TMW  

The only times they ask for one are when you get an import permit or at the airport flying to the US.
Sr.vienes
Nomad

[*] posted on 11-10-2017 at 01:34 PM

Guerrero Negro is also the only place I have ever been asked for my FMM. Never in my wildest dreams would I try to circumvent Mexican government bureaucracies but as I’m sure most of you know there is a road around the checkpoint.
 Pages:  1  2  

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.