BajaNomad
Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  
Author: Subject: I am Baja pilot(again).
fishbuck
Banned

[*] posted on 11-8-2017 at 03:03 PM
I am Baja pilot(again).

So if my deal goes as planned I shall be airborne over Baja soon. I finally have access to some aircraft the have the range and speed to make Baja travel practical.
I won't be able to make longer trips until I retire. But quick weekend trips from the border to San Quintin are now within my grasp.
Let the trip planning begin!

"A ship in harbor is safe, but that is not what ships are built for." J. A. Shedd.

A clever person solves a problem. A wise person avoids it. – Albert Einstein

"Life's a Beach... and then you Fly!" Fishbuck

Tioloco
Super Nomad

Member Is Online

[*] posted on 11-8-2017 at 03:29 PM

That is great! Opens up a lot more territory for a short weekend. Congrats!
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 11-8-2017 at 05:22 PM

That is great Mike. Can you drop into Palomar Airport and pick me up? :light::bounce:

Where will you land, Campo Lorenzo or Cielito Lindo?

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

AKgringo
Elite Nomad

Mood: Retireded

[*] posted on 11-8-2017 at 07:12 PM

Will that make you 'AirBuck'?

If you are not living on the edge, you are taking up too much space!

"Could do better if he tried!" Report card comments from most of my grade school teachers. Sadly, still true!
fishbuck
Banned

[*] posted on 11-8-2017 at 10:19 PM

Quote: Originally posted by David K  
That is great Mike. Can you drop into Palomar Airport and pick me up? :light::bounce:

Where will you land, Campo Lorenzo or Cielito Lindo?

Yes and yes. No I will go to Pedregal but I will land across the bay if you want and hop over.

"A ship in harbor is safe, but that is not what ships are built for." J. A. Shedd.

fishbuck
Banned

[*] posted on 11-8-2017 at 10:25 PM

Quote: Originally posted by AKgringo  
Will that make you 'AirBuck'?

That is good. But I am already having new bizcards printed...

Are you ready... "CAPTAIN BAJA"

bonanza bucko
Senior Nomad

Mood: Airport Bum

[*] posted on 11-9-2017 at 09:07 AM

Fishbuck:

You are a lucky devil! I'd give my left XXXs to do that again.

We did it about 75% of our weekends for 35 years from San Diego to Alfonsina's at Gonzaga Bay and then from Sacramento to there.

We started in a 1957 C-182 which hauled a lot of the supplies, beer and friends needed to build our first house there in 1979. Then the trip was in our beloved Bonanza to build the second house.

Here's a video (turn up the sound and go full screen) that I made of the trip. The opening shot shows both our Bonanza and our old C-182 which was taxiing by at Borego. https://vimeo.com/68383565

Baja Bucko .....AKA Bonanza Bucko. :-)
David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 11-9-2017 at 10:05 AM

Great flying stories!
Flying to Baja is a quick way to begin enjoying the peninsula!
I have had a couple of fun flying trips over Baja:

*I got to fly with Doug Bowles from Alfonsina's to Oceanside, via Calexico back in 1999.
*I flew with Captain Mike over Mulegé and Punta Chivato in 2001.
*In 2014, I flew in Jim McCoy's helicopter from El Cajon to San Vicente then again from Mission San Fernando back to El Cajon, in 2014.

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

BajaBlanca
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 11-9-2017 at 10:13 AM

When we first moved here to La Bocana my wish was for a helicopter! It would have been great to be able to hop over and visit my mom and my sisters in San Diego.

I understand that back in the day La Bocana used to fly co-op members and their families up to Ensenada with the cargo (abalone or lobster) on board.

Congratulations on your plane and being able to take those much needed Baja trips.

Come visit La Bocana

https://sites.google.com/view/bajabocanahotel/home

And always remember, life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by those moments that take our breath away.
BigBearRider
Super Nomad

Mood: :)

[*] posted on 11-9-2017 at 12:41 PM

Quote: Originally posted by fishbuck  
So if my deal goes as planned I shall be airborne over Baja soon. I finally have access to some aircraft the have the range and speed to make Baja travel practical.
I won't be able to make longer trips until I retire. But quick weekend trips from the border to San Quintin are now within my grasp.

It sounds like you joined a flying club? If so, which one? Plus One?
fishbuck
Banned

[*] posted on 11-9-2017 at 01:40 PM

Quote: Originally posted by BigBearRider  

I don't want to jinx it but details will trickle out as appropriate.

BigBearRider
Super Nomad

Mood: :)

[*] posted on 11-9-2017 at 01:45 PM

Quote: Originally posted by BigBearRider  

I don't want to jinx it but details will trickle out as appropriate.

Good luck. I assume that you joined the Baja Bush Pilots, if you are not already a member.
fishbuck
Banned

[*] posted on 11-9-2017 at 01:46 PM

Quote: Originally posted by bonanza bucko  
Fishbuck:

You are a lucky devil! I'd give my left XXXs to do that again.

We did it about 75% of our weekends for 35 years from San Diego to Alfonsina's at Gonzaga Bay and then from Sacramento to there.

We started in a 1957 C-182 which hauled a lot of the supplies, beer and friends needed to build our first house there in 1979. Then the trip was in our beloved Bonanza to build the second house.

Here's a video (turn up the sound and go full screen) that I made of the trip. The opening shot shows both our Bonanza and our old C-182 which was taxiing by at Borego. https://vimeo.com/68383565

Baja Bucko .....AKA Bonanza Bucko. :-)

Very nice thanks

gueribo
Nomad

[*] posted on 11-9-2017 at 03:49 PM

220px-Facebook_like_thumb_2.png - 3kB
LancairDriver
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 11-9-2017 at 04:01 PM

I used to fly my Lancair 4p from Oregon to Mulege in five hours. Leave in the morning and have lunch and a margarita at the Serenidad by noon. I still have that option but For the last couple of years We have been taking our RV and bringing our dogs and all kinds of gear and towing a Jeep Wrangler for off road exploring and taking three days for the trip. I’m in no hurry so the extra comfort and convenience is worth the extra time and camping comfortably on the beautiful Conception beaches. An airplane takes you from a to b quickly, but you need to have ground transport and everything you need in place when you get there. It all depends on your mission.
John Harper
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 11-9-2017 at 04:31 PM

My dad and I flew from Burbank to LA Bay back in 1973 in a Cessna 182, some kind of charter flight with just a few other fishermen. Stayed at Casa Diaz. They had to "buzz" the landing strip to get all the people and vehicles out of the way and then came in to land. Quite an adventure. My mom back home must have been frantic the whole time.

John

[Edited on 11-9-2017 by John Harper]
shari
Select Nomad

Mood: there is no reality except the one contained within us "Herman Hesse"

[*] posted on 11-9-2017 at 05:00 PM

woo hoo...if you want to come and fish here I will pitch in for fuel for a quick visit to Sirena in Ensenada or at least as far as San quintin!

for info & pics of our little paradise & whale watching info
http://www.bahiaasuncion.com/
https://www.whalemagictours.com/
David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 11-9-2017 at 06:05 PM

L.A. Bay in the 60s and early 70s (before pavement):

When Cruz (Mama) Diaz was cooking turtle steaks for dinner, the planes arrived from all points! She was famous for her turtle.

That was the prime industry developed there in the old days, after gold mining ended. Then American fly-in sports fishermen. Turtle trucks would drive the old dirt road for days delivering turtles to Ensenada for processing.

One story from the old days was that the Sea of Cortez had so many turtles you could walk across it on their backs!

Hook
Elite Nomad

Mood: Inquisitive

[*] posted on 11-9-2017 at 07:11 PM

Hey, whatever happened to Mike and the whole Screaming Airlines thing?
John Harper
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 11-9-2017 at 07:24 PM

Quote: Originally posted by David K  
L.A. Bay in the 60s and early 70s (before pavement):

When Cruz (Mama) Diaz was cooking turtle steaks for dinner, the planes arrived from all points! She was famous for her turtle.

That was the prime industry developed there in the old days, after gold mining ended. Then American fly-in sports fishermen. Turtle trucks would drive the old dirt road for days delivering turtles to Ensenada for processing.

One story from the old days was that the Sea of Cortez had so many turtles you could walk across it on their backs!

I remember having turtle steaks for dinner at the Diaz place. We also drove with some people south and around to the other side of the bay and gathered some conch snails and oysters. I'm sure it's all gone now.

John

[Edited on 11-10-2017 by John Harper]
 Pages:  1  

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.