Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Hear ye! Hear ye!
BajaBlanca
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 11-9-2017 at 10:29 AM
Hear ye! Hear ye!

Today is inauguration day for the paving of the sandy road between La Bocana and Punta Abreojos!

:biggrin::bounce:

Pictures later. The ceremony starts at noon today and the whole town is expected to participate.

Locals have been clamoring for this road for many a year and finally their request is being honored.

5 out of 17 km will be the first step.

One day the hope is to also pave the way between La Bocana and Bahia Asuncion. I am pretty sure that will not happen in our lifetime.

To be honest, I am quite surprised that the road is being paved at all since every time the governor flew into Abreojos and was brought to La Bocana, the sand was graded so that he could have a smooth ride!

:lol::lol:

Come visit La Bocana

https://sites.google.com/view/bajabocanahotel/home

And always remember, life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by those moments that take our breath away.
rts551
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 11-9-2017 at 10:31 AM

I saw this on the news....Also finishing the road to Tortugas. Thank You Kinny Arce.
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 11-9-2017 at 11:06 AM

Quote: Originally posted by BajaBlanca  
Today is inauguration day for the paving of the sandy road between La Bocana and Punta Abreojos!

:biggrin::bounce:

Pictures later. The ceremony starts at noon today and the whole town is expected to participate.

Locals have been clamoring for this road for many a year and finally their request is being honored.

5 out of 17 km will be the first step.

One day the hope is to also pave the way between La Bocana and Bahia Asuncion. I am pretty sure that will not happen in our lifetime.

To be honest, I am quite surprised that the road is being paved at all since every time the governor flew into Abreojos and was brought to La Bocana, the sand was graded so that he could have a smooth ride!

:lol::lol:

Is this 'sandy road' the graded (washboard) road along the powerlines?

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

shari
Select Nomad

Mood: there is no reality except the one contained within us "Herman Hesse"

[*] posted on 11-9-2017 at 11:50 AM

nice to get some more roads done poco a poco...the bahia tortugas road is way overdue to get finished and will be good for their town.

for info & pics of our little paradise & whale watching info
http://www.bahiaasuncion.com/
https://www.whalemagictours.com/
BajaBlanca
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 11-9-2017 at 02:38 PM

Work has officially kicked off!

Here is the road to be paved, it is indeed the high road as we call it here.

rsz_nueva_carretera_lb_hasta_abre_002.jpg - 101kB

Here is the crowd - they asked the school kids to come and they loved being out of class:

rsz_nueva_carretera_lb_hasta_abre_007.jpg - 131kB

Here are all the BIGWIGS - governor's rep and federation of co-op rep and delegados and subdelegados from here in La Bocana as well as Abreojos, even the priest came!

rsz_nueva_carretera_lb_hasta_abre_019.jpg - 107kB

rsz_nueva_carretera_lb_hasta_abre_010.jpg - 89kB

The kid's sign says "My car says thank you!"

rsz_nueva_carretera_lb_hasta_abre_027.jpg - 117kB

first dirt was MOVED!

rsz_nueva_carretera_lb_hasta_abre_033.jpg - 93kB

Come visit La Bocana

And always remember, life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by those moments that take our breath away.
AKgringo
Elite Nomad

Member Is Online

Mood: Retireded

[*] posted on 11-9-2017 at 03:27 PM

Blanca, do you know if the plan is to bring in large quatities of rock for a road base? If the plan is to pave over dirt, those cars won't be happy for long!

A grader can fix washboards (briefly) but can't do a thing for potholes!

If you are not living on the edge, you are taking up too much space!

"Could do better if he tried!" Report card comments from most of my grade school teachers. Sadly, still true!
BajaBlanca
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 11-9-2017 at 03:32 PM

One of the engineers explained the process - it sounds as if this will be done properly. I will have to go back and take a photo of the big sign which put into words what they will be doing. I do know that it is going to cost lots and lots of money.....whether that money will indeed all be applied to the pavement remains to be seen!

Come visit La Bocana

LancairDriver
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 11-9-2017 at 03:35 PM

Quote: Originally posted by AKgringo  
Blanca, do you know if the plan is to bring in large quatities of rock for a road base? If the plan is to pave over dirt, those cars won't be happy for long!

A grader can fix washboards (briefly) but can't do a thing for potholes!

I was about to post the same thing but AKgringo beat me to it. If this kind of paving is what they do, why not save the money for a more lasting cause?
rts551
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 11-9-2017 at 04:10 PM

All they did was smooth a little dirt out for the ground breaking. They really have not started yet. Maybe you guys can come down and supervise.
Jinete Viejo
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 11-9-2017 at 06:40 PM

Is there a planned completion date for the first 5 km and / or the whole 17 km? Is the paving starting in La Bocana or Abreojos? Our chase truck driver will be going this way on our ride next March and he is trying to decide between the wash-board power line route or risking mud issues on the smoother tide flat route. Likewise, is there a date for completing the road into Bahia Tortugas? I am aware that planned dates and actual dates don't often sync up in Baja (or anywhere for that matter).
aguachico
Senior Nomad

Mood: logic cannot get thru to the illogical

[*] posted on 11-9-2017 at 06:59 PM

Congrats. How are the potholes from Mex1 to Abreojos?
rts551
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 11-9-2017 at 07:04 PM

Quote: Originally posted by aguachico  
Congrats. How are the potholes from Mex1 to Abreojos?

Most....MOST....are all repaired.
Sr.vienes
Nomad

[*] posted on 11-9-2017 at 07:23 PM

They do a lot better job of building their road to last than they used to. They make some mistakes but we still do up North. Blanca I hope they leave a way to get out on the smooth hard tidal flats to play Bonneville flats Baja racer for us over the hill old guys in the soccer mom mini vans.
BajaBlanca
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 11-9-2017 at 09:25 PM

Well, I believe this is going to be the real deal on this road - properly made. The work is starting in La Bocana and headed south. Probably because it is really bad when it hasn't been graded whereas the way out of Abre onto the salt flats is nice.

Most of the potholes between Abre and 1 are fixed and slowly coming back already. OMG!

I do think there will always be the salt flat route. We call it the La Bocana freeway...so smooth. But treacherous if you aren't paying attention to the spots that don't have water one day and do the next.

Come visit La Bocana

thebajarunner
Ultra Nomad

Mood: muy amable

[*] posted on 11-9-2017 at 09:47 PM

You can pave over sandy soil if it passes the testing and compaction
Base is all about compaction.
Not composition of underlying soil

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.