Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  
Author: Subject: Sausage
Sr.vienes
Nomad

[*] posted on 11-10-2017 at 03:19 PM
Sausage

I’m sure somewhere in Baja you can buy regular Gringo style breakfast sausage, I have just never found it. We have always taken ours down with us but it seems they are getting a little more fussy about food items nowadays. We do a lot of our own meat processing here in Arizona so last trip down we took down our favorite seasoning for pork sausage “Old Plantaion” from L&M and thought maybe I could find somebody to grind some pork. We stopped to shop at the Soriano’s just South of La Paz and lo and behold they had ground pork in the meat case, slapped it all on the counter hand mixed it and we had 10 pounds ready to use.
Not quite as good as Les and Blancas homemade Polish sausage but still pretty good.
Paco Facullo
Super Nomad

Mood: Abiding ..........

[*] posted on 11-10-2017 at 03:31 PM

SAUSAGE ,, UMMMMmmmmmmmmmmm.....

Please make mine with plenty of sage, patty style...

Although I'm SURE I'd love your's just fine .....
pacsur
Nomad

[*] posted on 11-10-2017 at 04:07 PM

Costco in Cabo has small frozen American style breakfast sausages in a bag.
Anybody know of an Italian sausage source in Los Cabos?
BajaBlanca
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 11-10-2017 at 06:18 PM

Thanks for the nice words regarding Les's sausages....he is getting ready to retire the breakfast part of the B&B in 2018 and stick with a hotel only.

He will continue making the sausages however. He does both Polish and English Bangers. If you come and visit, I bet he would pull them out!

pacsur's question is a good one - a great I-talian sausage is ohhh sooo good. In little Italy in San Diego, you can watch them putting the sausage into skins.

Come visit La Bocana

https://sites.google.com/view/bajabocanahotel/home

And always remember, life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by those moments that take our breath away.
TMW
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 11-10-2017 at 06:44 PM

Funny thing about sausage. At the hotel El Cortez in San Felipe whenever I ordered sausage for breakfast they served me a hot dog. It happened more than once and I use to do it just to get a laugh from my friends. It's been a couple of years so they may have changed.
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 11-10-2017 at 07:18 PM

Quote: Originally posted by TMW  
Funny thing about sausage. At the hotel El Cortez in San Felipe whenever I ordered sausage for breakfast they served me a hot dog. It happened more than once and I use to do it just to get a laugh from my friends. It's been a couple of years so they may have changed.

In 1977 my friends and I went into San Felipe for breakfast, ordered sausage and eggs, and it was hot dog franks! Big laugh for Mexican breakfast sausage.

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

rts551
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 11-10-2017 at 07:47 PM

Thats because in Mexico a hotdog is a sausage. Gotta quit thinking like a Greengo.
Russ
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 11-10-2017 at 08:01 PM

Saul's Market in Mulege. He makes both Italian and breakfast sausage himself and it's pretty damn good.

[Edited on 11-11-2017 by Russ]

Bahia Concepcion where life starts...given a chance!
Sr.vienes
Nomad

[*] posted on 11-10-2017 at 08:03 PM

Sausage Maker .com has everything you need to make Italian sausage including the casings which need to be refrigerated after opening but last for months. We usually buy a spice mix and add extra of what we like, yes more sage and crushed red peppers. They have several varieties of Italian.
AKgringo
Elite Nomad

Member Is Online

Mood: Retireded

[*] posted on 11-10-2017 at 08:28 PM

I used to make a lot of sausage after hunting season in Alaska. In addition to the usual linked product, I would buy bologna sized casings from a local butcher supply house.

Lean wild game was blended with beef and/or pork fat, and I would add soy protein as well. That allowed me to reduce the fat content and still have a moist, smooth texture, even through the smoking process.

If you are not living on the edge, you are taking up too much space!

"Could do better if he tried!" Report card comments from most of my grade school teachers. Sadly, still true!
mtnpop
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 11-10-2017 at 10:22 PM

not much help but Saul's grocery in Mulege has breakfast and Italian sausage in the cooler made for him by a local butcher, not all the time so it's a treat when we find it... and well made.....

I thought I had also seen some at either Sam's club or Mega Mart in LaPaz... been awhile since there and the memory fades...
Don't remember if we checked Chedreaui in LaPaz....

Common sense is a flower that doesn\'t grow in everyone\'s garden.....

A wise man once spoke nothing.....

Never kick a cow chip on a hot day!!
thebajarunner
Ultra Nomad

Mood: muy amable

[*] posted on 11-10-2017 at 10:31 PM

Breakfast special in a loncheria in
"Wini con huevo"
bajabuddha
Banned

Mood: Always cranky unless medicated

[*] posted on 11-10-2017 at 11:20 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Russ  
Saul's Market in Mulege. He makes both Italian and breakfast sausage himself and it's pretty damn good.
edit: Below mtnpop says Saul has it made by a local guy. I thought he made it himself. I have been wrong before. Sorry for erroneous info.

I have personally seen Saul making his own sausage, both Italian and breakfast. His herbs are grown in his little garden along the walkway by his store.

THERE IS NONE BETTER. Tubs in the cooler in the back-right of the store. At least, used to be. Wunnerful.

I don't have a BUCKET LIST, but I do have a F***- IT LIST a mile long!

86 - 45*

Russ
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 11-11-2017 at 07:43 AM

I had another reader inform met that indeed he does make the sausage himself and he is due to make another batch of the Italian sausage soon. Thanks for the correction.

Bahia Concepcion where life starts...given a chance!
55steve
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 11-11-2017 at 07:48 AM

Quote: Originally posted by BajaBlanca  

He will continue making the sausages however. He does both Polish and English Bangers. If you come and visit, I bet he would pull them out!

Les pulled his sausage out a couple times during my visit...
mtnpop
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 11-11-2017 at 08:03 AM

Quote: Originally posted by bajabuddha  
Quote: Originally posted by Russ  
edit: Below mtnpop says Saul has it made by a local guy. I thought he made it himself. I have been wrong before. Sorry for erroneous info.

I have personally seen Saul making his own sausage, both Italian and breakfast. His herbs are grown in his little garden along the walkway by his store.

THERE IS NONE BETTER. Tubs in the cooler in the back-right of the store. At least, used to be. Wunnerful.

Could be he does it himself, we were always told that it was made across the street at a butcher shop. Doesn't matter either way as it is really good when it's available...

Common sense is a flower that doesn\'t grow in everyone\'s garden.....

A wise man once spoke nothing.....

Never kick a cow chip on a hot day!!
bajalinda
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 11-11-2017 at 08:13 AM

In La Paz, Walmart used to carry the small, link-style breakfast sausage (Farmer John's ? brand or similar name), but I haven't seen it there in months.

There are 2 vendors at the Tuesday and Saturday farmers market who sell their home-made sausage.

As for the Mega in La Paz, it is no more - it has become a Soriana.

[Edited on 11-11-2017 by bajalinda]

Sr.vienes
Nomad

[*] posted on 11-11-2017 at 08:26 AM

When we make the pork breakfast sausage we put it in a large zip lock roll it out flat about 1/2” thick, then we use the edge of something thin but not sharp to put square score marks in it. We freeze it and when ready to use it we break off how much you need, kinda like Wendys. No mess and the rest goes back in the freezer, why make it round when it’s going to end up flat?
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 11-11-2017 at 08:32 AM

Quote: Originally posted by rts551  
Thats because in Mexico a hotdog is a sausage. Gotta quit thinking like a Greengo.

It was breakfast dish, in English, and they also had chorizo (Mexican sausage) and eggs. This was 1977 so give them a pass. There is the word 'wini' now used, but there are Hot Dogs with bacon sold, so the word Hot Dog is used and not sausage at the stands. Anyway it was a funny moment 40 years ago I thought I would share.

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

BajaBlanca
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 11-11-2017 at 08:44 AM

55Steve :biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:

Also, if you have every had breakfast at the yurts - Ignacio Springs Inn - their breakfast includes sausages and wow! They are super good.

Come visit La Bocana

https://sites.google.com/view/bajabocanahotel/home

And always remember, life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by those moments that take our breath away.
 Pages:  1  

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.