Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Meeting Mike H
Baja Bernie
`Normal` Nomad Correspondent

Mood: Just dancing through life

[*] posted on 2-23-2005 at 07:58 AM
Meeting Mike H

I?ll never forget it. The Cielito Lindo with the kick off of the BBBB just starting. Out of his room he swaggers, ramrod straight as the Marine of his youth. A large glass of red liquid beverage, half full, and topped with a sprig of celery, in one hand and what appeared to be a huge computer print out clutched to his side?like a swapper stick. Not a large man but somehow he seemed huge as he marched toward David and I with his trademark flowered Hawaiian shirt billowing. It seemed to me that he was puffing on a lovely Cuban cigar but as I now recall that was a touch that my imagination provided to round out the impression he created.
I was simply stunned as I sat sipping suds with David?you know that gentle man that is the storytelling half of David & Juanita.
Anyhow, he completes his march, glowers at me, and slams ?his? manuscript down upon a plank. Holy Moly! It is huge! In a rush of words?no introduction, no hello, just right to the point??this is ?the? manuscript of my travels in Baja.? I am blown away! I look to David who smiles shrug?s, and tilts his beer.
In a rush Mike continues to tell me that he has submitted it to a couple of publishers but has gotten no response. Stunned, dumbfounded, and overwhelmed??I forget that I have just recently announced to the world that I am a writer and publisher of things Baja.
The beer bottle finds my lips and is duly emptied as he turns and stalks away twirling his celery just as the last drop of liquid disappears from his glass.
David pops a pair of beers, laughs, and puts a name to the man. ?That?s Mike Humfreville. He is a wonderful guy and a great writer of Baja Tales.? I take a few pulls on my Corona as I try to read but am distracted by being introduced to David and ?M? who are the hosts of the annual BBBB (ask someone else what it means I always get my tongue twisted when I try to say it) I will meet many new Baja Amigo?s that day?but Mike and David are the ones who still stand out.
I remember thinking, ?who could afford to publish it. It is thicker than H.G.Well?s ?Outline of History.?
Much later David K introduces me to the Amigo?s Board and then this one and I am exposed to Mike?s vividly painted short stories of his ventures through a land that with his pen turns it into to stuff of magic (think of flying carpets) His recent posting of ?The Bucket? brought goose bumps to my arms as I ?showered? and thought about how the simple pleasures of Baja need to be recorded before they escape us forever. Mike does this so much better than most!
P.S. I often thing of that oh! so polite word?plagiarism?as I read his work. I always come away knowing that to change enough to call them my own would cause them to lose their strength and impact. Why would I attempt to re-write something that under my hand would only diminish it?s meaning.
Thank you, Mike.

My smidgen of a claim to fame is that I have had so many really good friends. By Bernie Swaim December 2007
David K
Honored Nomad

Member Is Online

Mood: Have Baja Fever

biggrin.gif posted on 2-23-2005 at 08:27 AM
BBBB-4 Sept. 2002

I am so happy you came Bernie, as we met at that event ('Boojum Buddies Baja Bash' #4)!

Here is that very day, in photos: http://vivabaja.com/bbbb4

Mike Humfreville (photo by Bedman):

[Edited on 2-23-2005 by David K]

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

Mike Humfreville
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 2-23-2005 at 05:15 PM
WOW! Thanks Bernie

I sure ddddddooooo miss those parties where we all had more time to sit and yap and walk the beaches and share meals and conversations. I think that get-together was where I first learned about your first book. Now I have both!

Regarding publication, that's the main reason I want to retire. I just don't have the time to dig my heels in and set off in search of the right publisher. While I know my work doesn't please everyone and I'm working for a niche market, I get a lot of pleasure out of writing and I believe in myself, so I'll just have to wait and see.

There are so many of us that feel the warmth of Baja in more ways than simply the sun's rays. I hope we can regain the gatherings and rekindle old friendships and form new ones along the highways and byways of Baja.

Thanks for your reflections. Now we have to work on Sara and others?
Eli
Super Nomad

Mood: Some times Observing, sometimes Oblivious.

[*] posted on 2-23-2005 at 07:55 PM

I agree Mike, that was a real nice tribute Don Bernie wrote for you and yo sure do deserve it.

I also agree in the sence that I hope someday the powers that be permit me to be at one of those northern Baja Ca. parties to get togeather with Bernie one more time and meet You and many others that I have met here on this board, yep, that would be real, real, nice.

Packin-er-in, it's almost time to head these doggie's North back to Los Barriles. Lookin forward to some hugs and rolling tears of joy guranteed when I see family and friends yet again.

Buena Noches YA'll, Sara
Mike Humfreville
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 2-23-2005 at 08:59 PM

Sara, I don't know whether to be happy or sad that you now have two places to love and miss. I wish you peace in learning to share space between both of them rather than let them tear you apart.

But, I would observe, that the depth and insight in your writing seems deeper to me now than it was from Los Barriles. Perhaps that's because when we change from an old environment to a new one we are often enfatuated for a while. But if I know you, you'll fill a void on both sides of our Sea of Cortez.

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.