BajaNomad
Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  
Author: Subject: maps - best road map? best topo map?
caj13
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 11-13-2017 at 11:52 AM
maps - best road map? best topo map?

Looking for a good map of Baja, need one that shows roads cities etc. also would like something that shows topo features, so that may be another map or set of maps, something like the gazeteers series would be great.

any ideas? sources?
David K
Honored Nomad

Member Is Online

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 11-13-2017 at 12:03 PM

The Baja California Almanac (topographic road and trail map book).
All out-of-print. A Nomad recently made copies of the '98 ones.
Find new or used ones online:
*2009 (new, large size)
*2003 (single volume, all color)
*& ca 1998 (two volume ,norte & sur)

Earlier were the two large Baja Topographic Atlas books (1986, 1991)...

Sample from 2009:

Sample from 2003:

The 2003 and 2009 editions:

[Edited on 11-13-2017 by David K]

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

caj13
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 11-13-2017 at 12:08 PM
thanks

thats what I am looking for, I'll start looking on line -
thanks
Quote: Originally posted by David K  
The Baja California Almanac (topographic road and trail map book).
All out-of-print. A Nomad recently made copies of the '98 ones.
Find new or used ones online:
*2009 (new, large size)
*2003 (single volume, all color)
*& ca 1998 (two volume ,norte & sur)

Earlier were the two large Baja Topographic Atlas books (1986, 1991)...

Sample from 2009:

[Edited on 11-13-2017 by David K]
mtgoat666
Select Nomad

Mood: Hot n spicy

[*] posted on 11-13-2017 at 12:08 PM

Quote: Originally posted by caj13  
Looking for a good map of Baja, need one that shows roads cities etc. also would like something that shows topo features, so that may be another map or set of maps, something like the gazeteers series would be great.

any ideas? sources?

the national geographic maps are good. they make a pair of maps covering baja. 1:450,000 scale. you can buy from variety of online vendors

Woke!

“...ask not what your country can do for you – ask what you can do for your country.” “My fellow citizens of the world: ask not what America will do for you, but what together we can do for the freedom of man.”

Prefered gender pronoun: the royal we

caj13
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 11-13-2017 at 12:09 PM

looks like they are 400 bucks - a bit to steep for a book of maps IMHO - until of course i get lost!
David K
Honored Nomad

Member Is Online

[*] posted on 11-13-2017 at 12:12 PM

Quote: Originally posted by mtgoat666  

any ideas? sources?

the national geographic maps are good. they make a pair of maps covering baja. 1:450,000 scale. you can buy from variety of online vendors

Sample from the 2008 Nat Geo folding maps:

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

bajaguy
Elite Nomad

Mood: must be 5 O'clock somewhere in Baja

[*] posted on 11-13-2017 at 12:15 PM

Don't know where you live and if you (or a family member/friend) are a member of the Auto Club (AAA).

Their Baja maps are out of print, but I have had success in finding them is smaller/rural offices

any ideas? sources?
David K
Honored Nomad

Member Is Online

[*] posted on 11-13-2017 at 12:21 PM

Quote: Originally posted by bajaguy  
Don't know where you live and if you (or a family member/friend) are a member of the Auto Club (AAA).

Their Baja maps are out of print, but I have had success in finding them is smaller/rural offices

any ideas? sources?

Sample 2010 AAA Baja Map:

dmiller72

[*] posted on 11-13-2017 at 05:25 PM

+1 votes for the AAA map for general highway driving and the Baja Almanac for the dirt roads.

This year I'm also bringing my phone with GaiaGPS app, it's only $10 and you can download highly detailed maps for offline use, including various topos and high resolution satellite imagery (nice for 'exploring' dirt tracks that don't show up on regular maps.) The app is very full featured and can of course 'follow' you as you drive, display all manner of statistics & trip data. There's an online companion site where you can geek out on things such as synchronizing tracks & waypoints, export / import with Google Earth, etc. Since it's offline, you don't need cell service.
advrider
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 11-13-2017 at 05:30 PM

Several good free app's out there for your phone. I use Osmand on my android, you can also buy E32 for your phone or tablet. I haven't tried them but a lot of people like them. One of those and a AAA map and your pretty well covered.
PaulW
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 11-13-2017 at 06:17 PM

Yes, many of us use the above maps but the best topos maps come from INEGI the Mexican equivalent of the USGS maps in the states. Free download with instructions on this site.
Most used would be the Almanc. Watch Ebay and wait for a 2009 version for $100-200. Look every day until you find. $400 for new unused would be a good price.
Gscott
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 11-13-2017 at 07:43 PM
AAA maps are available

In spite of being told the AAA maps were out of print and hard to find, I was able to get them from the main AAA website. Just requested them and received!

I first found them at my local office a couple years ago. And then went back and they still had them. Got another off the website just a few months ago when I was requesting other maps. Still available.

I've come to the conclusion they are not out of print at all, but were maybe between printings?
Gscott
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 11-13-2017 at 07:45 PM

looks like they are 400 bucks - a bit to steep for a book of maps IMHO - until of course i get lost!

They show up on occasion for $40, here and there. You just have to be first. And persistent.

I'm hopeful someone will print a new Baja Almanac. Soon! But who knows..
AKgringo
Elite Nomad

Member Is Online

Mood: Retireded

[*] posted on 11-13-2017 at 08:08 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Gscott  
In spite of being told the AAA maps were out of print and hard to find, I was able to get them from the main AAA website.
I've come to the conclusion they are not out of print at all, but were maybe between printings?

I was able to get them at the AAA in Grass Valley CA last year, but I went back recently and they are gone, and will not be back in stock again!

If you are not living on the edge, you are taking up too much space!

"Could do better if he tried!" Report card comments from most of my grade school teachers. Sadly, still true!
BajaNomad
Super Administrator
Thread Moved
11-13-2017 at 10:17 PM
caj13
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 11-14-2017 at 11:03 AM

Ill try my local AAA. I did order up the nat geo north and south maps on Amazon, but they are backordered, no idea if and when they might show up
Gscott
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 11-28-2017 at 05:53 AM

Quote: Originally posted by AKgringo  

I was able to get them at the AAA in Grass Valley CA last year, but I went back recently and they are gone, and will not be back in stock again!

I just ordered another from the AAA website. Seems to be available.
PaulW
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 11-28-2017 at 07:56 AM

Not about paper maps.
However I now have a nice Android tablet and I am amazed of the quality of the maps that are available. For sure they are as good as my AAA map. Screen size is always an issue an for sure bigger is better.
Start a new thread if you want to pursue this option.
David K
Honored Nomad

Member Is Online

[*] posted on 11-28-2017 at 08:48 AM

Quote: Originally posted by PaulW  
Not about paper maps.
However I now have a nice Android tablet and I am amazed of the quality of the maps that are available. For sure they are as good as my AAA map. Screen size is always an issue an for sure bigger is better.
Start a new thread if you want to pursue this option.

What is the app Paul?

PaulW
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 11-28-2017 at 12:06 PM

1)Currently I am playing with Orux. It is Mx based, but any Garmin maps can be downloaded. Heavy learning curve and not mastered. Baja map is good. Shows road names in San Felipe, Partial road names in ElDorado Ranch. Shows good enough detail between SanFelipe and San Ignacio. App cost a few bucks.
2) Map.me Just got it and it looks easier that Orux. Map quality is good. Have not traveled in the back country with it yet. Free app.
3) Google maps. A free app. Looks close to Maps.me. I have not used it yet. It came with my Tablet. So far the only map I chose was Mexico.
I am highly suspicious that all the above are using the same maps.
Comment apply to Andriod only with an internal GPS
4) Earthmate work just fine without Inreach with comparable maps. App is free without Inreach
5 Another app I want to try is backcountrynavigator.com. Android $9.99. Highly recommended by others

David K
Honored Nomad

Member Is Online

[*] posted on 11-28-2017 at 03:21 PM

Keep us up to date on what works, how much, and links to the app. Thanks.

Pages:  1  

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.