BajaNomad
Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  2
Author: Subject: maps - best road map? best topo map?
Gscott
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 11-28-2017 at 10:48 PM
Gaia GPS maps

Anyone used this map app? Check out the level of detail at the link below (zoom all the way in to 500 feet or so) What do you think? I might give it a try if you all think it looks decent. Looks to be about $20 on the Google Play store.

https://www.gaiagps.com/map/
AKgringo
Elite Nomad

Mood: Retireded

[*] posted on 11-29-2017 at 10:02 AM

When I used the link provided by Gscott, the map centered on where I am now in Nevada County, CA. Coincidence, or am I really being followed? :wow:

Anyway, I zoomed in on property that my family has owned since the 40s, and found errors right away. Fire breaks that my dad established between our property and adjoining BLB land years ago, show up as roads.

They are only drivable on the ridges, and not continuous but someone (or an algorithm) connected the sections and even labeled them as an extension of an actual existing road.

I have seen the errors before on some other source (not Google or Bing), so they are using old data.

If you are not living on the edge, you are taking up too much space!

"Could do better if he tried!" Report card comments from most of my grade school teachers. Sadly, still true!
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 11-29-2017 at 10:05 AM

Gaia looks good until you zoom in... In some areas, it shows all the roads (along the coast, for example), but nothing much inland is shown when I looked south of San Felipe.

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

bkbend
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 11-29-2017 at 12:21 PM

Quote: Originally posted by AKgringo  
When I used the link provided by Gscott, the map centered on where I am now in Nevada County, CA. Coincidence, or am I really being followed? :wow:

You're being followed, or your IP address is. I opened earlier this morning and it centered on Vancouver, BC. I thought it was where Gscott was at when he posted the link. Now I assume it's because I'm using a VPN service which happens to be based in Canada and Vancouver is where I'm actually jumping onto the internet.

Back to the topic -- I peeked at some favorite forest roads to my secret spots locally and the roads did not show up, a good thing. Switching to the USGS layer brought them back, but for some reason that layer does nothing in Baja.
caj13
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 12-3-2017 at 07:58 PM

judt got the National Geo North and south maps. look like they wioll do the trick. I often use GPS or phone for navigation, but when I'm planning - or scheming, I like to have maps in front of me, I get alot better feel for distances, come across hidden gems etc!
kk6mbh

[*] posted on 12-4-2017 at 09:31 AM

Quote: Originally posted by Gscott  
Anyone used this map app? Check out the level of detail at the link below (zoom all the way in to 500 feet or so) What do you think? I might give it a try if you all think it looks decent. Looks to be about $20 on the Google Play store.

https://www.gaiagps.com/map/

I've used this one over the last five years or so from Yellowstone to San Juanico. The app gets better with with every update. To get the most out of it I'd recommend upgrading to the Premium service. I use the website to plot courses and enter way points, which I save and then download to my iPhone or iPad. In addition, you can access other users routes, trails and way points. It's not cheap but I've found it to be the best available for my needs.
SteveWil
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 12-4-2017 at 10:23 AM

Another one that I use (on Android ) is AlpineQuest GPS Hiking. Don't let the Hiking fool you, it has road maps also.
It kind of like Gaia but allow you to download google and bing Sat map so you can use off line.
You can spend a lot of time downloading maps at the different zoom levels before a trip.
StuckSucks
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 12-4-2017 at 02:25 PM

Quote: Originally posted by David K  
Gaia looks good until you zoom in... In some areas, it shows all the roads (along the coast, for example), but nothing much inland is shown when I looked south of San Felipe.

I use Gaia as a redundant map while racing in Baja. I can download HIGH resolution sat maps, as well as road maps, topo, etc. to use offline. I can then overlay the race course, chase access roads and other information.

I am a lover of maps. I have detailed topo maps of the entire southwest US and Baja as well as many other flavors of maps. I discovered the wonders of e-mapping (GPS, GIS, sat images) 20 years ago and have never touched a dead tree since. In my world, the e-version provides a greater degree of detail and accuracy.

Road Runner

[*] posted on 12-6-2017 at 02:32 AM

Depending on where you are (Rural, urban), google maps (For directions) can work really well. You can download the directions for offline use or use it where mobile data is available. I've used this all around La Paz, Cabo, Todos Santos and los Barrilles areas and it worked great. Not sure how well the Google maps will work for more remote areas and obviously they probably won't work well for offroad.

Metro PCS offers Unlimited Mexico data/call etc for $5 add on feature, so when ever I head down to Mex I activate this. It is very convenient to be able to enter an address and have Google maps give directions instantaneously.
basautter
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 12-6-2017 at 05:12 AM

I recommend both the Baja California Almanac and the AAA map. Neither is perfect, but between the two you will get to your desired location.
Gscott
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 12-8-2017 at 12:01 PM

Thank you for those that took the time to evaluate GAIA. I could see it has some primitive roads but have no first hand knowledge of roads to know how good it is.
Since I posted this I picked up a copy of the "Baja Topographic Atlas Directory" for a decent price. I'm pretty happy about that.
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 12-8-2017 at 12:34 PM

The BIG spiral bound map book? Great find!

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

Jinete Viejo
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 12-8-2017 at 06:24 PM

The GAIA map shows an area called "Zona Nucleo" due east of Guererro Negro on the opposite coast. It appears to be just south of La Trinidad where the No Wimps trail turns west towards El Gato. What is this?
 Pages:  1  2

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.