BajaNomad
Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
Author: Subject: baja Catch? or Hooked on Baja?
caj13
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 11-13-2017 at 12:11 PM
baja Catch? or Hooked on Baja?

which is better? or are both indispensable? or is there another one i should be looking for?
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 11-13-2017 at 12:37 PM

A few Baja Fishing Books:

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

TMW
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 11-13-2017 at 02:32 PM

While the Baja Catch is an older book it still is considered a fishing bible for Baja. Lots of good info.
Paco Facullo
Super Nomad

Mood: Abiding ..........

[*] posted on 11-13-2017 at 04:06 PM

+ one foe the Baja Catch.

It was the book I bought and used exclusively for my "driving" maiden voyage to Cabo and back , back in 1995.
I had sold my business so a Buddy and myself took my 76 Midland 33' motor home , a beater motor-cycle ( that every Mexican wanted to buy )
two beach cruiser bikes and a poor man's zodiac type boat with a 25 hp outboard on it.
We fished I about 40 of the two months we were gone. Had just an absolutely GREAT time !

We fallowed the Baja Catch to the tee and it proved to be right-on in all respects. Although things do change everywhere so unless there is an updated version , some things may NOT be correct nowadays.
But I would not hesitate to use it again as It was EASY to fallow and understand.

[Edited on 11-13-2017 by Paco Facullo]
rts551
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 11-13-2017 at 04:24 PM

The problem with all these old books? Things change. Nice, entertaining reading, but if you think that is where and how the fishing will be you will probably be disappointed.
willardguy
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 11-13-2017 at 04:33 PM

Gene and Neil did an awesome job.....selling books. It was an XLNT travel guide.....if you're idea of fun is trolling for inshore reef fish then by all means buy it;)
BajaNomad
Super Administrator
Thread Moved
11-13-2017 at 10:18 PM
yumawill
Nomad

[*] posted on 11-14-2017 at 11:23 AM

I bought it and tried many of those spots. Unfortunately, the family gillnet has had a devastating effect on the fishery in Baja. But go try. It's still a beautiful place with many friendly people.
basautter
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 11-14-2017 at 06:28 PM

I vote for Baja Catch! I use it as a guide, and see it as a great start for an area. Note that Rebel lures are not easily obtained, and not worth the effort. Rapala X-Rap and others have worked better for me. The triple treble of the Rebel tears up fish, and makes them hard to get off. Maybe you loose a few with two trebels, but who cares if you catch more? Hooked on Baja? Not so much. Best of luck!
wilderone
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 11-16-2017 at 08:12 AM

Steel leaders for trigger fish - sometimes that's all that's around. Makes good ceviche - bring ingredients for that.
Road Runner

[*] posted on 11-17-2017 at 02:28 AM

Haven't read Hooked on Baja but The Baja Catch is a great book and a good starting point for learning about fishing in Baja.
bobrehfuss
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 11-17-2017 at 05:02 PM

I recently returned from a two week baja adventure. I will post a report soon. 5 nights and 6 days camping at Playa San Rafael and San Francisquito. I love The Baja Catch but truth is it's old and lots of things have changed. Some things in the book are no longer there, particularly fish camps. Other things that are there are not in the book as it is many years old and new things have been built or Mother Nature has changed them. For instance, if you read about San Rafeal in the Baja Catch it details a dry lakebed that is great for camping if it's not flooded. Well it is now a full blown lagoon with no connection to the ocean but full of brackish water year round and full of mullet and pargo. The beach camping at SF is great.

IMG_0352.JPG - 232kB

IMG_0353.JPG - 248kB

IMG_0350.JPG - 215kB
bobrehfuss
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 11-17-2017 at 05:32 PM

I'm new to Baja Nomad. Is there a way to edit a post once it's made? I wanted to add to the above that the first two pics are of the lagoon at San Rafeal and the third is the beach at San Rafeal not San Francisquito but not sure how to do it without creating another post.

Thanks
David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 11-17-2017 at 05:36 PM

Quote: Originally posted by bobrehfuss  
I'm new to Baja Nomad. Is there a way to edit a post once it's made? I wanted to add to the above that the first two pics are of the lagoon at San Rafeal and the third is the beach at San Rafeal not San Francisquito but not sure how to do it without creating another post.

Thanks

YES: see the EDIT button on the top right corner next to your post?

EDIT: Welcome to Baja Nomad! I hope Pancho showed you good hospitality!

[Edited on 11-18-2017 by David K]

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

bobrehfuss
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 11-17-2017 at 08:03 PM

Aha, got it. I'm finding it a little difficult to navigate BN on my cell phone because i have to zoom in in order to make the print readable and when I do I can't see the whole screen. I'm sure I'll get the hang of it.

Cheers

Edit.....what great forums here on BN

[Edited on 11-18-2017 by bobrehfuss]
David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 11-18-2017 at 07:51 AM

Quote: Originally posted by bobrehfuss  
Aha, got it. I'm finding it a little difficult to navigate BN on my cell phone because i have to zoom in in order to make the print readable and when I do I can't see the whole screen. I'm sure I'll get the hang of it.

Cheers

Edit.....what great forums here on BN

[Edited on 11-18-2017 by bobrehfuss]

Indeed! It is a depository of thousands of Baja trip reports, photographs, historical information, and conditions. Just find the specialty forum that applies for what you seek. Use the General Baja Discussion forum to talk about common interest Baja or Nomad topics. Use Today's Posts (button on the top menu line on each page here) to read all new Baja posts as anything new from all the forums is there, in one place. No need to open separate forums every day. My favorite is the Baja Trip Reports forum where one can read and see photos of the latest trips down the peninsula by Nomads. Have fun!

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.