BajaNomad
Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  
Author: Subject: What's your favorite handheld GPS?
DawnPatrol
Nomad

[*] posted on 11-14-2017 at 10:10 AM
What's your favorite handheld GPS?

Looking for one that will show BOTH street/highway mapping (including Baja) AND Marine so I can log waypoints, etc.

Any favorites?

Alan from San Diego

caj13
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 11-14-2017 at 02:09 PM

I run a Garmin 60 csx (I don't think they make em anymore) - I can put in SD microchips that have all the area topo maps on em, lay down tracks etc. probably 10 years old, never let me down

[Edited on 11-14-2017 by caj13]
PaulW
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 11-14-2017 at 02:26 PM

Garmin GPS offerings https://buy.garmin.com/en-US/US/on-the-trail/handhelds/cOnTh...
Bigger is better
Maps are extra for Baja some may be free. but best ,maps cost.
Lowrance Ifinder H2O not new. No free maps.
rts551
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 11-14-2017 at 04:11 PM

60CSX....If you can find one.

There is a new model, Garmin 64s. It looks to do a lot of the same.

[Edited on 11-14-2017 by rts551]
Desertbull
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 11-14-2017 at 05:05 PM

Garmin Oregon 750T replaced the Montana 650T ... have multiples of both and they are awesome.

DREAM IT! PLAN IT! LIVE IT!
JZ
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 11-14-2017 at 11:11 PM

This thread is so 2004.

No hand held gps is better than an app on a good smartphone.

I've had them all over the years. All the Garmin handhelds, and Raymarine, etc. mounted on boats.

Today, both on the water apps (Navonics) and trail apps (Back Country Navigator or MotionX) are way, way better than anything on a handheld. Running on a phone it's a bigger, brighter screen, much better touch screen, way easier to use.

To be 100% clear, you'd be a fool to use a standalone HH gps in 2017. Spend your money on getting a better phone.

Navonics for on the water charts (iPhone or Android); super accurate for the entire Sea of Cortez
MotionX for trail navigation (iPhone)
Back Country Navigator for trail navigation (Android)

Both trail apps have good built in maps for most of Baja by default. Back Country Navigator is easier to use. You can download custom routes from Google Earth much more easily with BCN than you can which MotionX.

[Edited on 11-16-2017 by JZ]
Franco
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 11-15-2017 at 10:08 AM

Quote: Originally posted by JZ  
This thread is so 2004.

I've had them all over the years. All the Garmin handhelds, and Raymarine, etc. mounted on boats.

Today, both on the water apps (Navonics) and trail apps (Back Country Navigator or MotionX) are way, way better than anything on a handheld. Running on a phone it's a brighter screen, much better touch screen, way easier to use.

To be 100% clear, you'd be a fool to use a standalone HH gps in 2017. Spend your money on getting a better phone.

Navonics for on the water charts (iPhone or Android); super accurate for the entire Sea of Cortez

Both trail apps have good built in maps for most of Baja by default. Back Country Navigator is easier to use. You can download custom routes from Google Earth much more easily.

Not certain that an app replaces a GPS coordinate especially when you loose cell tower signal. With a GPS unit many features are available. Setting a route, reverse tracking, correct roadways and off road ways. I've looked at and attempted to use Google Earth off road and instead of a road the trail was an overgrown pipeline. Would not discount a GPS unit.

[Edited on 11-15-2017 by JZ]

Franco
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 11-15-2017 at 10:11 AM

Quote: Originally posted by Franco  
Quote: Originally posted by JZ  
This thread is so 2004.

Today, both on the water apps (Navonics) and trail apps (Back Country Navigator or MotionX) are way, way better than anything on a handheld. Running on a phone it's a brighter screen, much better touch screen, way easier to use.

Both trail apps have good built in maps for most of Baja by default. Back Country Navigator is easier to use. You can download custom routes from Google Earth much more easily.

Not certain that an app replaces a GPS coordinate especially when you loose cell tower signal. With a GPS unit many features are available. Setting a route, reverse tracking, correct roadways and off road ways. I've looked at and attempted to use Google Earth off road and instead of a road the trail was an overgrown pipeline. Would not discount a GPS unit.

David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 11-15-2017 at 10:30 AM

Try the Earthmate App, makes your cell phone into a GPS and has topo Baja maps that are not too bad. Works everywhere in Baja.

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

AKgringo
Elite Nomad

Member Is Online

Mood: Retireded

[*] posted on 11-15-2017 at 10:45 AM

David, I have an ATT android phone with no data plan or service contract. I need a cell phone signal or WIFI to use it, and are you saying that Earthmate will allow it to function as a stand alone gps?

If you are not living on the edge, you are taking up too much space!

"Could do better if he tried!" Report card comments from most of my grade school teachers. Sadly, still true!
jaymtb
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 11-15-2017 at 12:01 PM

Hi, Have used both apps and GPS units w/offline maps. Most handhelds like old 60csx etc too small limited way/track points, stored maps.
Best found is Garmin Montana 600 w/stored maps. In Aguapac case on kayak, uses AA Batts, can read in bright sun. In dash mount with speaker in Nuvi mode with streets/trips or Mex Topo map in truck.
Phone ok, but need high battery sucking screen brightness to see in sun, appss can be flakey, few can use real vector maps.
Desertbull
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 11-15-2017 at 12:04 PM

Certain Navigation Apps utilize the GPS antenna inside your phone to pinpoint your location without using data or wifi ... the phone communicates with satellites minus any service.

Quote: Originally posted by AKgringo  
David, I have an ATT android phone with no data plan or service contract. I need a cell phone signal or WIFI to use it, and are you saying that Earthmate will allow it to function as a stand alone gps?

DREAM IT! PLAN IT! LIVE IT!
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 11-15-2017 at 12:15 PM

Quote: Originally posted by AKgringo  

Yes, as Desert Bull also gave the technical answer why...

I first thought that my cell phone (Android) which was connected to my DeLorme inReach device with Bluetooth, was simply working through the inReach to show me my location and maps.

When I turned off the inReach and my cell phone continued to track me, give my speed, etc., in the middle of Baja, I learned it was independent GPS device, all using the Earthmate App. No cell service for hundreds of miles, all satellite.

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

AKgringo
Elite Nomad

Member Is Online

Mood: Retireded

[*] posted on 11-15-2017 at 12:40 PM

Bull and DK, thanks for the feedback, it sounds like an affordable accessory for exploring. The way I travel leaves the contents of my little rig exposed to damage or loss, but there are plenty of androids that wouldn't break the bank!

If you are not living on the edge, you are taking up too much space!

"Could do better if he tried!" Report card comments from most of my grade school teachers. Sadly, still true!
bkbend
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 11-15-2017 at 01:01 PM

Quote: Originally posted by jaymtb  
Hi, Have used both apps and GPS units w/offline maps. Most handhelds like old 60csx etc too small limited way/track points, stored maps.
Best found is Garmin Montana 600 w/stored maps. In Aguapac case on kayak, uses AA Batts, can read in bright sun. In dash mount with speaker in Nuvi mode with streets/trips or Mex Topo map in truck.
Phone ok, but need high battery sucking screen brightness to see in sun, appss can be flakey, few can use real vector maps.

If you are using the phone as a GPS while driving you can keep it charged. Using for more than a few hours without charging will drain it. My son and I have been on full-day hikes, he with his phone and me with my handheld GPS, his phone dies about the time we turn around while my GPS breadcrumbs easily last until we get back.
del mar
Banned

Mood: lil' fuzzy

[*] posted on 11-15-2017 at 01:07 PM

Quote: Originally posted by bkbend  

If you are using the phone as a GPS while driving you can keep it charged. Using for more than a few hours without charging will drain it. My son and I have been on full-day hikes, he with his phone and me with my handheld GPS, his phone dies about the time we turn around while my GPS breadcrumbs easily last until we get back.

XLNT point!:yes:
mtgoat666
Select Nomad

Mood: Hot n spicy

[*] posted on 11-15-2017 at 01:10 PM

yes, phones have poor energy management when on GPS, only suitable for a couple hour hike.
for an all day or multi-day hike, a real GPS hand unit will work better for you.
also, the phone GPS solution is not weather resistant. good GPS units have better integration of hardware/software for outdoor use.
phones are good for staying in your car, or short little baby hikes/runs/bike rides

Woke!

“...ask not what your country can do for you – ask what you can do for your country.” “My fellow citizens of the world: ask not what America will do for you, but what together we can do for the freedom of man.”

Prefered gender pronoun: the royal we

BajaNomad
Super Administrator
Thread Moved
11-15-2017 at 02:19 PM
DawnPatrol
Nomad

[*] posted on 11-15-2017 at 02:21 PM

thanks to all for the advice!
Alan
JZ
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 11-15-2017 at 02:58 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Franco  

False, false, and false!

Phone uses GPS, no cell service required. You cache the map area you want when not connected.

They come loaded with maps. Most of the signficant dirt roads are already there. Custom maps/tracks can be imported.

Can also set or import way points, track a route (get the route, distance, avg speed, moving speed, altitudes, max speed, etc.).

Anything you can do with a stand alone gps you can do better with Back Country Navigator or MotionX. Plus: much easier to use (can't state this enough), much better screen visibility. Run on phones or tablets.

Better solution and you don't need to waste money on a GPS.

You'd be a fool to use a stand alone GPS in 2017.

JZ
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 11-15-2017 at 03:01 PM

Turn cell service off on the phone (airplane mode) and it will last 3x longer than the battery on a standalone GPS.

Pages:  1  

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.