BajaNomad
Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  2
Author: Subject: What's your favorite handheld GPS?
JZ
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 11-15-2017 at 03:05 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Desertbull  
Certain Navigation Apps utilize the GPS antenna inside your phone to pinpoint your location without using data or wifi ... the phone communicates with satellites minus any service.

Quote: Originally posted by AKgringo  
David, I have an ATT android phone with no data plan or service contract. I need a cell phone signal or WIFI to use it, and are you saying that Earthmate will allow it to function as a stand alone gps?

This is true, but you need to cache whatever maps you want to use when offline. I have all of Baja downloaded.
JZ
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 11-15-2017 at 03:09 PM

Quote: Originally posted by David K  
David, I have an ATT android phone with no data plan or service contract. I need a cell phone signal or WIFI to use it, and are you saying that Earthmate will allow it to function as a stand alone gps?

Yes, as Desert Bull also gave the technical answer why...

I first thought that my cell phone (Android) which was connected to my DeLorme inReach device with Bluetooth, was simply working through the inReach to show me my location and maps.

When I turned off the inReach and my cell phone continued to track me, give my speed, etc., in the middle of Baja, I learned it was independent GPS device, all using the Earthmate App. No cell service for hundreds of miles, all satellite.

Earthmate is the equivalent of Back Country Navigator or MotionX.

I always wondered why you said it needed to be tethered to the InReach. Thought that was a dumb setup if it was in fact required. Makes much more sense now.
willyAirstream
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 11-15-2017 at 03:46 PM

Totally agree with JZ. Used Lowrance units are all over the race sites now, as racers are switching to tablets.
For hiking , you can use a 12 x 6 portable solar pac to keep the device charged, at least in Baja.
mtgoat666
Select Nomad

Mood: Hot n spicy

[*] posted on 11-15-2017 at 03:58 PM

Quote: Originally posted by JZ  
Quote: Originally posted by bkbend  
Quote: Originally posted by jaymtb  
Hi, Have used both apps and GPS units w/offline maps. Most handhelds like old 60csx etc too small limited way/track points, stored maps.
Best found is Garmin Montana 600 w/stored maps. In Aguapac case on kayak, uses AA Batts, can read in bright sun. In dash mount with speaker in Nuvi mode with streets/trips or Mex Topo map in truck.
Phone ok, but need high battery sucking screen brightness to see in sun, appss can be flakey, few can use real vector maps.

If you are using the phone as a GPS while driving you can keep it charged. Using for more than a few hours without charging will drain it. My son and I have been on full-day hikes, he with his phone and me with my handheld GPS, his phone dies about the time we turn around while my GPS breadcrumbs easily last until we get back.

Turn cell service off on the phone (airplane mode) and it will last 3x longer than the battery on a standalone GPS.

[Edited on 11-15-2017 by JZ]

I have found with iPhone that turning off cellular and WiFi but running gps is still an energy hog that will deplete battery relatively quickly compared to a gps hand unit. iPhone is not weather resistant, so poor for kayaking, hiking, etc.

Woke!

“...ask not what your country can do for you – ask what you can do for your country.” “My fellow citizens of the world: ask not what America will do for you, but what together we can do for the freedom of man.”

Prefered gender pronoun: the royal we

JZ
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 11-15-2017 at 04:02 PM

Only chicks and kids use iPhones. My S8+ is water resistant.

David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 11-15-2017 at 04:22 PM

Quote: Originally posted by David K  

Yes, as Desert Bull also gave the technical answer why...

I first thought that my cell phone (Android) which was connected to my DeLorme inReach device with Bluetooth, was simply working through the inReach to show me my location and maps.

When I turned off the inReach and my cell phone continued to track me, give my speed, etc., in the middle of Baja, I learned it was independent GPS device, all using the Earthmate App. No cell service for hundreds of miles, all satellite.

Earthmate is the equivalent of Back Country Navigator or MotionX.

I always wondered why you said it needed to be tethered to the InReach. Thought that was a dumb setup if it was in fact required. Makes much more sense now.

The phone connects with the inReach so you can use the phone's keyboard to type messages faster than you can with the keypad on the inReach. It doesn't 'need' the phone paired with it for any other reason. I learned on my first trip that the Earthmate app worked alone. Sorry, if I wasn't clear on that point before.

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

mtgoat666
Select Nomad

Mood: Hot n spicy

[*] posted on 11-15-2017 at 04:38 PM

Only chicks and kids use iPhones. My S8+ is water resistant.

Was that intended to be an insult?

I don’t consider it an insult to be lumped together with chicks and kids - they are the best kind of people - and apparently they are also good judges of phone technology

[Edited on 11-15-2017 by mtgoat666]

Woke!

“...ask not what your country can do for you – ask what you can do for your country.” “My fellow citizens of the world: ask not what America will do for you, but what together we can do for the freedom of man.”

Prefered gender pronoun: the royal we

willardguy
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 11-15-2017 at 04:42 PM

Quote: Originally posted by DawnPatrol  
thanks to all for the advice!
Alan

:lol: and you thought it was done.........
DawnPatrol
Nomad

[*] posted on 11-15-2017 at 04:56 PM

Quote: Originally posted by willardguy  
Quote: Originally posted by DawnPatrol  
thanks to all for the advice!
Alan
Quote:

:lol: and you thought it was done.........
Quote:

Yeah WillardGuy! This post is generating a lot of action (& some heat) :)
rts551
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 11-15-2017 at 05:11 PM

You would think the phone was a Toyota. I use both. I found that my garmin is all inclusive where as i have to use multiple apps on the phone to do routes, breadcrumbing , etc. Also we use Leadnav for mapping during the Norra Race...which only runs on Apple devices (phone or tablet). So while some have fallen in love with their Samsung phone, they will not do everything, as in most items...including Toy trucks.

Get the device that works best for you!

[Edited on 11-16-2017 by rts551]
AKgringo
Elite Nomad

Mood: Retireded

[*] posted on 11-15-2017 at 05:12 PM

And be careful where you step when using a gps app on your shoe phone!

If you are not living on the edge, you are taking up too much space!

"Could do better if he tried!" Report card comments from most of my grade school teachers. Sadly, still true!
CJ
Nomad

Mood: It's cool with me

[*] posted on 11-15-2017 at 05:26 PM

Agree with JZ......been using an iPad mini ( iPad has the AT&T phone service) with motion x app for the last two years driving around Baja Sur in my RZR.....works great. Haven’t been lost yet.......though I also have a Lowrance with the Baja chip....ya gotta love redundancy :cool:
PaulW
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 11-15-2017 at 07:19 PM

Once you buy Inreach you get Earthmate. And Yes if your device has a GPS Earthmate will work just fine. However you will not get the map feature from your Inreach account. I use Earthmate all the time on my Android table just that way. Works on most all phones and tablets because most all contain a GPS. No internet required, just a view of the sky.
unbob
Nomad

[*] posted on 11-17-2017 at 03:47 PM

Just installed Earthmate app on my Android phone without realizing it requires inReach - which I do not want. Guess I'll try that Backcountry app now ....

I have a perfectly good Android phone - except the SIM "slot" is somehow screwed-up and a SIM will not make contact. But otherwise the phone can be connected via wifi or GPS. Thus seems ideal for a GPS unit.

[Edited on 11-17-2017 by unbob]

"I'm too young to be this old!"
BajaTed
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 11-17-2017 at 09:18 PM

Navionics on phone device and Maritimetraffic.com on tablet is how to get to Catalina by knowing where you and them both are at the same time, works great

Es Todo Bueno
Ken Cooke
Elite Nomad

Mood: Black Trans Lives Matter

[*] posted on 11-19-2017 at 08:07 AM

Quote: Originally posted by unbob  
Just installed Earthmate app on my Android phone without realizing it requires inReach - which I do not want. Guess I'll try that Backcountry app now ....
[Edited on 11-17-2017 by unbob]

I was going to say the exact same thing. I used the Geo Tracker app while driving and navigating the 2017 Pole Line Run. I was only able to utilize this Android app from Hwy 2 to the Cohabuzo Junction region. Then, from the top of "Bad Hill" down to Mexico Hwy 5.

When I have cell tower accessibility, Geo Tracker works just fine. I will go on a short hike today, and will put Earthmate to the test.

rts551
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 11-19-2017 at 05:53 PM

http://www.mexicomaps.com/mexico_gps.lasso?-session=mmid:B86...
Ken Cooke
Elite Nomad

Mood: Black Trans Lives Matter

[*] posted on 11-19-2017 at 08:35 PM

Today, I went to a location without cell service. My Geo Tracker app worked fine. I was able to create a track in real time while the Earthmate app wouldn't get me past the initial log-in page. Since I don't own a Garmin product, Geo Tracker is the only product for my Android phone that works for me. Am I missing something??

Pages:  1  2

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.