BajaNomad
Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Questions from recent Rock-Pile hunt.
Fatboy
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 11-15-2017 at 09:17 PM
Questions from recent Rock-Pile hunt.

Spent 5 days hiking and camping in the area between Cerro Borrego and Arroyo Grande last week.

Hiked about 30 miles in the 5 days I was there and while there was no sign of the rock pile I did come across a couple of things that made wonder what they were all about.

One was this lightly used road to nowhere. You can barely see it on google earth but it is clear from the hills across the creekbed and it looks like it was made with a dozer and then never used.

First image is a google earth screen shot with just a placemarker on the road, while I roughly traced it on the second google earth image.

Also it seems google earth pro does screen shot different without the Coordinates on the page so here they are for the road....
31°27'58.43"N 115°18'37.62"W

Road image blank.jpg - 96kBRoad image marked.jpg - 135kB
Fatboy
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 11-15-2017 at 09:20 PM

The second spot is here....
31°23'43.09"N 115°20'9.70"W

What is this.jpg - 162kB
micah202
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 11-15-2017 at 09:31 PM

...that 2nd one is darn interesting by any measure,,, were you close to it? I'd be curious how there remains a distinctive pattern... for how long? ...without wear and weather obliterating it in parts. :?:

https://goo.gl/maps/pVDW9L9pGt72

[Edited on 11-16-2017 by BajaNomad]
TMW
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 11-15-2017 at 09:54 PM

The second spot is a run way that the government has trenched to prevent planes from landing. The area has been used by SCORE on a couple of the SF250 races.
Fatboy
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 11-16-2017 at 08:00 AM

Quote: Originally posted by TMW  
The second spot is a run way that the government has trenched to prevent planes from landing. The area has been used by SCORE on a couple of the SF250 races.

Afraid it was going to be something boring like that.

The odd thing is the method they used to it. I will go to that actual spot this upcoming week.

The road in the first two is hard to see and seems to go no where and in a pretty remote spot.
Barry A.
Select Nomad

Mood: optimistic

[*] posted on 11-16-2017 at 08:22 AM

Does the faint road bypass some obstacle that was in the nearby large wash, perhaps?
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 11-16-2017 at 10:13 AM

Can you show a high view of the track you hiked? Thanks for your interest in this mystery from the 1930s!

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

Fatboy
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 11-16-2017 at 12:01 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Barry A.  
Does the faint road bypass some obstacle that was in the nearby large wash, perhaps?

The odd part of that faint roads is that it seems to end there in the wash, I did not walk the mesa top portion so not sure where it goes up on top but I cannot see anything on google earth.

The bottom wash where it ends(?) would be a dead end, there appears to be no other way to get out of the wash in a vehicle except where the road is.

So the road seems to come from no where and then down into the wash and ends there.
Fatboy
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 11-16-2017 at 12:39 PM

OK, not sure if this works.... Here are the KMZ google earth files for the hikes.

If it works, then the 3 labeled APPROX... are not actual tracks due to the fact that I either did not carry the gps on that hike, or I forgot to save it afterwards.

Attachment: approx hike 2.kmz (7kB)
This file has been downloaded 212 times

Attachment: Approx hike part 1.kmz (4kB)
This file has been downloaded 170 times

Attachment: approx hike part 2.kmz (8kB)
This file has been downloaded 188 times

Attachment: BAJA 11-12 HIKE part 1.kmz (21kB)
This file has been downloaded 190 times

Attachment: BAJA 11-12 HIKE.kmz (55kB)
This file has been downloaded 174 times

Attachment: BAJA 11-13 HIKE OUT.kmz (22kB)
This file has been downloaded 176 times

Attachment: BAJA 11-13 HIKE IN.kmz (29kB)
This file has been downloaded 193 times

Fatboy
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 11-16-2017 at 12:48 PM

hmmmm that seems to work so here are the KMZ Google earth files from my hikes in April

Attachment: h1.kmz (13kB)
This file has been downloaded 196 times

Attachment: h2.kmz (42kB)
This file has been downloaded 168 times

Attachment: h3.kmz (20kB)
This file has been downloaded 240 times

Attachment: h4.kmz (14kB)
This file has been downloaded 182 times

[Edited on 11-16-2017 by Fatboy]

Attachment: h5 guess.kmz (4kB)
This file has been downloaded 187 times

Attachment: h6.kmz (18kB)
This file has been downloaded 185 times

Attachment: h7.kmz (41kB)
This file has been downloaded 178 times

David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 11-16-2017 at 01:45 PM

Thank you.
Where your hike lines begin, was that from a point you could drive to?

I added your tracks to this map that I have shown my original idea of where the Model A was parked and blue arrows of my idea of where Walter and friend hiked on Day 1. The thin colored lines (north part of the map) are my idea of possible arroyos leading down to Arroyo Grande where Henderson camped. It was on Day 1, going down the west-flowing arroyo that he found the 'rock pile'. We have searched the Arroyo Grande end of a few such arroyos and all seemed impossible to hike, as there were dry waterfalls or such preventing easy travel. By all means, no Spanish soldiers on horseback traveled them taking Melchior's body!

Again, I was trying to follow Walter's directions carefully in that he hiked all morning to reach the divide of the Sierra Pinta. He then went steeply down the west flowing ravine into Arroyo Grande. 1/4 to 1/3 down from the divide, in the west flowing ravine, was a knob of level land where the rock-pile was erected. He hiked on Day 2 up the arroyo and then returned to the Model A from the base of Borrego Mountain. You recent hikes may represent his return voyage route to the Model A?

Walter told Choral Pepper if she were flying north-northeast from Borrego Mountain (towards today's gold mine by Hwy. 5) that she should (begin to?) look down about 5 miles north of Borrego (Arrajal) to the west flowing canyons of the Sierra Pinta. He felt that knob and rock pile should be easy to spot.

Happy hunting amigos... Take LOT's of photos if you find it!

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

bajaric
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 11-16-2017 at 02:08 PM

Wow. that is a remote area where few people have trekked, that is, who have lived to tell the tale -- ha ha

My guess would be that it may be an old road that lead to a mine or prospect. The connecting road would have followed the arroyos towards the east and long since been washed out. Did you hike up to the top? The links connect to google maps and worked for me but then when I tried to close it wanted to save to a special google file, they keep track, you know...

On the topic of Diaz, I was reading an excellent book called California an Illustrated History by T.H. Watkins which is an large picture coffee table type book, and it said he was killed (After crossing the Colorado River and traveling in the area south of the Salton Sink) when impaled on his lance when attempting to spear a rabbit, as they were subsisting on foraged food on the journey back towards San Miguel de Culican.

OK so on the same topic of strange phenomenon seen from above, when looking at satellite images a couple of time I have seen an area of parallel trenches, about 20 - 30 feet apart. I have seen this to the north of the Ronoso area and also to the south of El Alamo, anyone have an idea what these are? I'm thinking drip irrigation oh well never mind don't want to go there --

small ronoso trenches small3.png - 227kB

[Edited on 11-16-2017 by bajaric]
David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 11-16-2017 at 02:30 PM

Early American writers were unaware of the boiling mud pots south of Mexicali (Cerro Prieto), it would seem? They only knew of the ones by the Salton Sea, so they put Diaz that far north.

In either case, it still gives him the fame for being the first Spaniard to walk to California vs. arriving by ship from Mexico.

When Captain Diaz read the letter from Alarcón days before (left in a bottle) in the Colorado Delta or lower river, it released Diaz from his first duty, to supply or join ship's crew in support of Coronado. Now, Melchior Diaz was free to explore the west side of the river.

Soon after the encounter with the volcanic lake of boiling mud, Melchior was annoyed by a dog chasing the sheep brought along on the voyage and threw his lance, missing the dog. His horse threw the captain or couldn't be stopped before he fell upon the lance, piercing his body.

This is where the two versions of the story split. One version says his troop took him back across the river where he died somewhere in Sonora. The other says his troop continued south in hopes of finding Alarcón's ships (taking on fresh water at San Felipe, perhaps?).

DIAZ 1540-1541 Voyage

yumawill
Nomad

[*] posted on 11-16-2017 at 05:26 PM

You fool! You're standing on the runway. How are the Ailens going to land with you there?
Fatboy
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 11-16-2017 at 07:24 PM

Quote: Originally posted by David K  
Thank you.
Where your hike lines begin, was that from a point you could drive to?

I added your tracks to this map that I have shown my original idea of where the Model A was parked and blue arrows of my idea of where Walter and friend hiked on Day 1.

You recent hikes may represent his return voyage route to the Model A?

Take LOT's of photos if you find it!

Yes, all my hikes started from camps that I drove to.

Your comment about their return path is intriguing.

I am heading down tomorrow and going to revisit some of those areas.

Problem is terrain, reviewing my gps tracks it seems that any straight line distance on a map is at least 30% longer in reality.

Also that area you believed he parked at and walked to Arroyo Grande is some of the roughest country.

So here is my possible hike area for the next couple of days.

Attachment: possible hike.kmz (2kB)
This file has been downloaded 159 times

possible hike.jpg - 247kB
David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 11-16-2017 at 08:06 PM

Perfect! I will be with you in spirit!

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.