Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  
Author: Subject: Accident north of Catavina
bajachris
Nomad

Mood: Love Baja

[*] posted on 11-18-2017 at 08:06 PM
Accident north of Catavina

I always tell everyone the worst part about Baja is the dangerous road. Today we were proved correct yet again. Motorcycle versus a very poorly maintained pot- hole filled road. People heading north from the Baja 1000 stopped to help and were very professional. Things I learned. If you are riding a motorcycle down here always wear a helmet with a chin guard. His chin and nose looked like raw hamburger. His foot was thrashed, arm, hand, and they were checking him for a broken back when I left. I am praying for this poor man, who, if he survived will need lots of plastic surgery and will be I pain for a long time. I would NEVER encourage anyone to ride a motorcycle!
4x4abc
Ultra Nomad

Mood: happy - always

[*] posted on 11-18-2017 at 08:24 PM

they are called donorcycle for a reason

Harald Pietschmann
mtgoat666
Select Nomad

Mood: Hot n spicy

[*] posted on 11-18-2017 at 08:30 PM

Quote: Originally posted by bajachris  
I always tell everyone the worst part about Baja is the dangerous road. Today we were proved correct yet again. Motorcycle versus a very poorly maintained pot- hole filled road. People heading north from the Baja 1000 stopped to help and were very professional. Things I learned. If you are riding a motorcycle down here always wear a helmet with a chin guard. His chin and nose looked like raw hamburger. His foot was thrashed, arm, hand, and they were checking him for a broken back when I left. I am praying for this poor man, who, if he survived will need lots of plastic surgery and will be I pain for a long time. I would NEVER encourage anyone to ride a motorcycle!

About once a month I see some poor motorcycle rider sprawled on CalTrans pavement. Sigalert, body on the road, cagers inconvenienced/late for work. Some people never learn.
Ask an experienced ER doctor what they think about motorcycles.

[Edited on 11-19-2017 by mtgoat666]

Woke!

“...ask not what your country can do for you – ask what you can do for your country.” “My fellow citizens of the world: ask not what America will do for you, but what together we can do for the freedom of man.”

Prefered gender pronoun: the royal we

Cliffy
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 11-18-2017 at 09:20 PM

My wife used to do tissue typing for transplant surgery at UCLA.
They called them "donors"

You chose your position in life today by what YOU did yesterday
hombre66
Nomad

[*] posted on 11-18-2017 at 09:56 PM

i know at least 3 people minus a lower leg from bike accidents. if they are snaking thru traffic, they're bound to be in a blind spot sooner or later. Harleys, not so bad. Japanese bikes/crotch rocket dudes...the odds are against you. We know how fast you like to go. Visualizing one smacking a sizeable Baja hwy pothole is not pretty.
Barry A.
Select Nomad

Mood: optimistic

[*] posted on 11-18-2017 at 10:03 PM

I have long told my 4 kids that if they ever rode a motorcycle they can kiss their inheritance good bye! No way can I support a decision to ride a motorcycle on the highway, or even in town. In the dirt I reluctantly understand, but not anyplace else!

bajabuddha
Banned

Mood: Always cranky unless medicated

[*] posted on 11-18-2017 at 10:32 PM

EMS calls it "job security". I rode a little, grew out of it quickly. For the riders out there adamantly defending the practice, keep on truckin', I know the rush. It is a beautiful thing and no one will change your minds. One must not only ride defensively, but ride belligerently as if everyone on the highway is deliberately out to kill you with their stupidity for not seeing you... especially with T-bone left turns.

Be safe out there, and one of us will clean up the mess. It's a rush but a perilous one as you all know. Part of 'gravity sports' and speed, it all has risks, and take 'em. We all have.

Or, be like our Hero... " Wull, it never happened to me, so therefore, it ain't true !~!"...... 'nuff said.

I don't have a BUCKET LIST, but I do have a F***- IT LIST a mile long!

86 - 45*

BajaBlanca
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 11-19-2017 at 08:45 AM

There is a rush to riding a motorcycle that is like no other! I am too much of a wimp but I was taken on a ride on a chopper in Rio when I was a teenager and I remember the wind whistling through my hair as if it were yesterday. Being able to see the beach views with no window impediment, being able to wave to kids who were open-mouthed. What fun.

But, in the real world of today with so many cars and so many blind spots - the dirt seems like a much better alternative.

So sorry for that rider- it was definitely not his day.

Come visit La Bocana

https://sites.google.com/view/bajabocanahotel/home

And always remember, life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by those moments that take our breath away.
ehall
Super Nomad

Mood: It's 5 o'clock somewhere

[*] posted on 11-19-2017 at 11:24 AM

Riding on the pavement scares me and makes me nervous and hyper vigilant. I do have to use pavement sometimes between trails. I know the risks. It's not for everyone. Love to ride the dirt!
motoged
Elite Nomad

Mood: Gettin' Better

[*] posted on 11-19-2017 at 11:42 AM

Life is a risky endeavour....so it's a good idea that those who are fearful of injury demonstrate more alertness and caution if throwing a leg over a bike...or just don't do it. :light:

For the rest of us....we know what we are getting into ...

Don't believe everything you think....
del mar
Banned

Mood: lil' fuzzy

[*] posted on 11-19-2017 at 11:56 AM

the key is to ride AROUND em!:yes:
BajaTed
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 11-19-2017 at 12:37 PM

Prudence dictates that with age comes a roll cage, 5 point harness, HANS device and a full face helmet if you want to continue in motorsport competition.

Es Todo Bueno
LancairDriver
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 11-19-2017 at 01:11 PM

Quote: Originally posted by motoged  
Life is a risky endeavour....so it's a good idea that those who are fearful of injury demonstrate more alertness and caution if throwing a leg over a bike...or just don't do it. :light:

For the rest of us....we know what we are getting into ...

There are definitely different levels of what we are getting into.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=-vcdX5nV1P8
AKgringo
Elite Nomad

Mood: Retireded

[*] posted on 11-19-2017 at 01:39 PM

I got my first bike when I was 17 (Triumph tiger cub), and rode until I had kids in grade school. Like 80% of the riders I have talked to, my skills were above average! (don't question the math)

After one slide with minor injuries, then a miraculous recovery at over 100 mph,I decided to give it up until no one depended on me staying healthy.

I would love to ride again, but a head injury ten years ago left me with impaired depth perception, peripheral vision, and balance. I still am able to ski, but not like I used to, and the speeds and consequences for failure are not like it would be on the highway!

If you are not living on the edge, you are taking up too much space!

"Could do better if he tried!" Report card comments from most of my grade school teachers. Sadly, still true!
fishbuck
Banned

[*] posted on 11-19-2017 at 02:29 PM

I remember a post a while back. Someone wanted to take a bike trip down Baja and was asking questions.
The thread went on for a while and ended with the person injured in a crash and trying to get transported back to the US.
When I first read it I was struck by the naivete of the poster. I predicted disater and the prediction came true.
Please don't ride a motorcycle on the highway in Baja.

"A ship in harbor is safe, but that is not what ships are built for." J. A. Shedd.

A clever person solves a problem. A wise person avoids it. – Albert Einstein

"Life's a Beach... and then you Fly!" Fishbuck

woody with a view
PITA Nomad

Mood: Everchangin'

[*] posted on 11-19-2017 at 02:54 PM

Or a bicycle!

[Edited on 11-19-2017 by woody with a view]

bajabuddha
Banned

Mood: Always cranky unless medicated

[*] posted on 11-19-2017 at 03:14 PM

Oh gawd, here goes another bicycle thread... :no:

I don't have a BUCKET LIST, but I do have a F***- IT LIST a mile long!

86 - 45*

mtgoat666
Select Nomad

Mood: Hot n spicy

[*] posted on 11-19-2017 at 03:18 PM

Here in California we now allow lane splitting. The paramedics, ER docs and bike manufacturers lobbied for legalizing lane splitting because it’s good for business! :biggrin:

Woke!

“...ask not what your country can do for you – ask what you can do for your country.” “My fellow citizens of the world: ask not what America will do for you, but what together we can do for the freedom of man.”

Prefered gender pronoun: the royal we

KurtG
Super Nomad

Mood: Press On Regardless!!

[*] posted on 11-19-2017 at 03:51 PM

I rode from GN to Ensenada yesterday on that same highway and never had a problem but then I have been riding hwy 1 a couple of times a year since 1974. It is and has always been a road that requires constant attention and vigilance. I am a half million mile 73 year old rider who has never been injured on pavement but have on dirt, including my little spill I mentioned on this forum earlier this year. Yes, the fatality rate is much higher for us riders but if analyzed beyond the basic stats something else emerges. More than 60% of motorcycle fatalities involve one or often more of the following: New inexperienced rider,no motorcycle license endorsement, not wearing good safety gear including a good full coverage helmet, low mileage infrequent riders and the biggest of all is alcohol.

I'm winding down my life of riding but value the memories of all the great trips I have had around the US. I never have folks just walk up to me at a gas station to talk about my car (except when I had my 1965 Ferrari GT330) but it happens all the time on the bike. We all have different perceptions of danger. Personally I think that anyone who flies light aircraft, scuba dives, or races anything motorized is crazy. But that's just me, I could be wrong.
KurtG
Super Nomad

Mood: Press On Regardless!!

[*] posted on 11-19-2017 at 04:03 PM

Quote: Originally posted by mtgoat666  
Here in California we now allow lane splitting. The paramedics, ER docs and bike manufacturers lobbied for legalizing lane splitting because it’s good for business! :biggrin:

That is inaccurate. Lane splitting has not been recently legalized because it has never been illegal. CHP issued lane splitting guidelines not too long ago to a great uproar. Guidelines specified cycles going only 15 mph faster than other traffic and no splitting over a certain speed, I think around 30 mph. Those who speed between lanes are going to pay the price. Police can use their judgement and write citations for "reckless" but there is nothing in the vehicle code about splitting which CHP refers to as "lane sharing." I avoid SoCal type freeways but one of my best rides there was when I tucked in behind a CHP motor officer who was lane splitting for about 25 miles on the 405. When he finally exited he gave me a wave and thumbs up.

Goat, if you believe I am incorrect about legality please cite the appropriate vehicle code section for my edification. I think lane sharing is illegal in virtually all other states. Wishing it were illegal in Ca does not make it so.

[Edited on 11-20-2017 by KurtG]
 Pages:  1  

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.