Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  
Author: Subject: learning to baja fish
bike4mee
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 11-19-2017 at 05:20 PM
learning to baja fish

I'll be new to fishing baja. I'll be pulling a 17' avon down with me. A couple of questions
1. Don't really have a title to the boat. It is registered in Colorado. Do I need a title? I have one for the trailer

2. What are the best areas I can launch from the beach. Reccomendations

3. Would like to hire a guide to go with me. Books? Any ideas?

thanks
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 11-19-2017 at 05:34 PM

Mexico has rules and license requirements. Others will chime in.

Highway 1 is NARROW south of San Quintin!

Here is a book of interest for you. The author used to post here, too.

[Edited on 11-20-2017 by David K]

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 11-19-2017 at 05:44 PM

The above book is from 2008... and is one of the newer books on the subject!

Here are some of the older, classic books on fishing Baja waters:

[Edited on 11-20-2017 by David K]

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

bajabuddha
Banned

Mood: Always cranky unless medicated

[*] posted on 11-19-2017 at 06:03 PM

DK, an Avon is an INFLATABLE. He'll probably have it rolled up. I travelled with a 14' Achilles and outboard for years, never checked, never asked for title or paperwork.

To the OP, Q#1 -you should have it registered in your home State to be "legal" to fish in Baja, w/ title, but again, in 20 years, never asked and never checked (yes, I was legal). Q #2 - where are you going? Q #3 - guides will take you out in their boat. Also, refer to Q #2.

Second thought, wherever you are, ASK. Most Baja gonzos will share info with you; catch, bait/lures, at least they used to... to a point. Carry 3 poles; light, medium and heavy, and lots of iron and rubber wigglers (kinky!). That's how most learned who've gone before you. If you can't catch a fish in Baja you can't catch a cold. Happy angling.

[Edited on 11-20-2017 by bajabuddha]

I don't have a BUCKET LIST, but I do have a F***- IT LIST a mile long!

86 - 45*

hombre66
Nomad

[*] posted on 11-19-2017 at 06:12 PM

If youre gonna trailer it, big risk of getting stopped. Find a way to roll it up if theres room in your rig for an inflatable that big. Otherwise, Buddha's post is the norm. I have been rolling up a 12' Achilles for Baja since 1982... no questions asked. Also, youre gonna want to go to some out of the way places where trailering is the worlds biggest PITA. Trailers disintegrate off highway in Baja.
bike4mee
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 11-19-2017 at 07:08 PM

Thanks for the info.
Is there a current edition to "The anglers guide"

The Avon is a zodiac type boat w/ a 40hp motor. It does real well in swells
Wish I could figure out an easy way to post a picture
I'll be entering from Mexicalli
David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 11-19-2017 at 07:39 PM

Quote: Originally posted by bike4mee  
Thanks for the info.
Is there a current edition to "The anglers guide"

The Avon is a zodiac type boat w/ a 40hp motor. It does real well in swells
Wish I could figure out an easy way to post a picture
I'll be entering from Mexicalli

https://postimages.org/ and select 800x600 as the max. size. Then use the Hotlink for forums and paste that right here in your reply or new post.
Here's a sample (Gonzaga Bay in 1986):

AKgringo
Elite Nomad

Mood: Retireded

[*] posted on 11-19-2017 at 07:56 PM

I never took it to Baja, but most of my fishing in Alaska was from my Zodiac MK II with a 25 horse Johnson. My preferred method of transport was strapping the inflated boat to the top of my Suburban.

I strongly suggest that if you trailer your boat down the peninsula, that you carry the motor either in your tow vehicle, or strap it down (well padded) on the floor of your LFRB (little f##king rubber boat).

That 40 horse will spend a lot of energy trying to rip your transom off when you start hitting some of the rougher spots, vados and potholes!

It gets hot enough on the gulf side that an inflatable at the correct pressure for running, will be at risk if left in full sun. I managed to pop the inflatable keel by leaving it in the sun too long, and that was in Alaska!

If you must trailer the boat, the larger the tires the better, and make sure the bearings are new, or well cared for.

I loved my LFRB!

If you are not living on the edge, you are taking up too much space!

"Could do better if he tried!" Report card comments from most of my grade school teachers. Sadly, still true!
freediverbrian
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 11-19-2017 at 09:15 PM

Quote: Originally posted by AKgringo  
I never took it to Baja, but most of my fishing in Alaska was from my Zodiac MK II with a 25 horse Johnson. My preferred method of transport was strapping the inflated boat to the top of my Suburban.

I strongly suggest that if you trailer your boat down the peninsula, that you carry the motor either in your tow vehicle, or strap it down (well padded) on the floor of your LFRB (little f##king rubber boat).

That 40 horse will spend a lot of energy trying to rip your transom off when you start hitting some of the rougher spots, vados and potholes!

It gets hot enough on the gulf side that an inflatable at the correct pressure for running, will be at risk if left in full sun. I managed to pop the inflatable keel by leaving it in the sun too long, and that was in Alaska!

If you must trailer the boat, the larger the tires the better, and make sure the bearings are new, or well cared for.

I loved my LFRB!

I agree even if you are trailering the boat take off motor off if possible. Save wear and tear on boat and trailer
Floatflyer
Nomad

Mood: Wet & Cold

[*] posted on 11-19-2017 at 09:52 PM

Buy a "transom saver". One end is bolted to the trailer frame and the other cradles the lower unit of an outboard. Simple and cheap.
bajabuddha
Banned

[*] posted on 11-19-2017 at 09:59 PM

Inflatables 'bounce', not good trailering on bad roads with or without a transom saver. The motor should be off the transom unless just for very short jaunts.

Bike4mee, how are you bringing it down? Trailer or rolled?

86 - 45*

basautter
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 11-20-2017 at 05:14 AM

I was in your shoes about 8 years ago. I started with the Baja Catch, which is a great starting point. It's always good to talk to other fisherman in the area to get some tips. Taking a local guide sounds like a good idea, although I have never done that. Where to go depends on how long you have. Gonzaga Bay has pretty good fishing and there are places to safely launch a boat at higher tides (no official boat ramp). Bahia do Loa Angeles is another excellent pick. The fishing is better depending on what species you are after, and they have at least one concrete boat ramp (at Guillermo's on the south side of town). That's as far down as I have made it so far. Best of luck!
bike4mee
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 11-20-2017 at 06:50 AM

Wow
great info. I still don't get how to paste my image from "my images" to the reply. Maybe just a little more explaining
I'm thinking this is the start of 2 months every winter in baja. Still plenty of ski season left at home.
I do have a transome saver. Going slow and being in no rush is my moto pulling the boat. A 40hp motor weighs a lot to wrestle off and into the boat. It may be a good plan getting it down to Bahi los angeles starting pt
David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 11-20-2017 at 07:56 AM

Wow
great info. I still don't get how to paste my image from "my images" to the reply. Maybe just a little more explaining
I'm thinking this is the start of 2 months every winter in baja. Still plenty of ski season left at home.
I do have a transome saver. Going slow and being in no rush is my moto pulling the boat. A 40hp motor weighs a lot to wrestle off and into the boat. It may be a good plan getting it down to Bahi los angeles starting pt

Go up to where I posted the Gonzaga Bay photo. Click that link I gave you. Set the size to 800×600 or 640x480 to show nicely on all forums. Click to upload and you pick the photo from your pc folder to use. Then click the hotlink for forums from the many links provided for your photo. Paste that on Nomad where you type here. You can post several and add text between them. Message me if you need more help, using u2u system here or email me: info 'at' vivabaja.com.

bike4mee
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 11-20-2017 at 09:24 AM

Hope this pastes. Get the idea of what i'm bringing down
thanks
David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 11-20-2017 at 09:27 AM

Perfect!

woody with a view
PITA Nomad

Mood: Everchangin'

[*] posted on 11-20-2017 at 09:58 AM

Nice truck!

Edit: back to the original question. All boats greater than 15’ sorta maybe require a temp import permit, especially if planning to use a marina. Apply for a duplicate title and get the TIP just to be safe.

[Edited on 11-20-2017 by woody with a view]

TMW
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 11-20-2017 at 10:15 AM

Yes, that is a nice setup, truck and boat.
bajabuddha
Banned

[*] posted on 11-20-2017 at 02:07 PM

Bike4mee, be sure to inspect your spring shackle welds and load often as you travel Baja. All the topes and pot holes take their toll on small trailers (and big ones for that matter). Also be sure to lock that motor to the transom.

Far's beach launching it depends on where you're planning on fishing. San Lucas Cove RV park (just south of Sta. Rosalia) has a nice gravel ramp and very good fishing; you have to time the tides though. It's not doable at low tide. Also if you go there watch out for rays in the shallows... they're thick as flies on the fish cleaning station. You can get fishing tips from the locals there, and there's an excellent guide in town to take you out in his boat if you wanna pay for some lessons.

The camp has hot showers, flush toilets, a few water spigots and a great restaurant open on weekends.

[Edited on 11-20-2017 by bajabuddha]

86 - 45*

mtgoat666
Select Nomad

Mood: Hot n spicy

[*] posted on 11-20-2017 at 02:58 PM

learning to baja fish

Books? Any ideas?

thanks

you are wasting your time teaching the fish! those fish don't need no more learning. most baja fish spend their entire life in schools!

:lol:

Woke!

“...ask not what your country can do for you – ask what you can do for your country.” “My fellow citizens of the world: ask not what America will do for you, but what together we can do for the freedom of man.”

Prefered gender pronoun: the royal we

Pages:  1  

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.