Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Favorite RV Parks
bajabuddha
Banned

Mood: Always cranky unless medicated

[*] posted on 11-19-2017 at 05:48 PM
Favorite RV Parks

My favorite Yuma campground and jump-off point headed for Baja (exit 12-A?)

http://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/overnight-in-walmart-parkin...

I don't have a BUCKET LIST, but I do have a F***- IT LIST a mile long!

86 - 45*

AKgringo
Elite Nomad

Mood: Retireded

[*] posted on 11-19-2017 at 06:29 PM

I have used the one in Calexico a couple of times. It is fairly quiet, they patrol the parking lot, and there is a nice open area next door to exercise my dog before I head for the border!

I always top off my supplies there, although I don't carry much of anything in my little SUV. The motor homes that stop there load up pretty good, and the same thing happens at the Walmarts in Alaska!

If you are not living on the edge, you are taking up too much space!

"Could do better if he tried!" Report card comments from most of my grade school teachers. Sadly, still true!
tjsue
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 11-20-2017 at 09:36 PM

That's interesting, because Walmart has signs in the parking lot that say, "No Overnight Parking."
AKgringo
Elite Nomad

Mood: Retireded

[*] posted on 11-21-2017 at 12:49 AM

It was one year ago today, and if there was a sign there (Calexico Walmart) I didn't notice it. A private security car was passing by, and I asked if I was ok there, and he said yes.

If you are not living on the edge, you are taking up too much space!

"Could do better if he tried!" Report card comments from most of my grade school teachers. Sadly, still true!
mtgoat666
Select Nomad

Mood: Hot n spicy

[*] posted on 11-21-2017 at 06:30 AM

Quote: Originally posted by bajabuddha  
My favorite Yuma campground and jump-off point headed for Baja (exit 12-A?)

http://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/overnight-in-walmart-parkin...

I think it would be depressing to camp overnight in a Walmart parking lot....

Woke!

“...ask not what your country can do for you – ask what you can do for your country.” “My fellow citizens of the world: ask not what America will do for you, but what together we can do for the freedom of man.”

Prefered gender pronoun: the royal we

Cliffy
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 11-21-2017 at 07:26 PM

"I think it would be depressing to camp overnight in a Walmart parking lot...."

It is for some of us:-)

You chose your position in life today by what YOU did yesterday
Paco Facullo
Super Nomad

Mood: Abiding ..........

[*] posted on 11-21-2017 at 07:42 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Cliffy  

And others it's not...

I loved every minute ...
bajabuddha
Banned

[*] posted on 11-21-2017 at 10:07 PM

Me too, Paco. Ignore the goathead, it's what peees him off the most. Like his nemesis, he enjoys negative attention; it's a food. He lives for confrontation and thrives off it, just like his orange counterpart. No difference, unfortunately.

Had a buddy camp there last night on his way south. Called me late afternoon just east of Yuma, couldn't remember the exit number. Safe, comfy, and open all night. Mickey D's, good spot to stock-up for whatever needed Baja doesn't have... what's not to like? Plus, all you're doing is sleeping overnight, and up'n'early go so who cares about ambiance?

Some cities have ordinances about camping in commercial parking lots. I think some WallyWorlds have to succumb to that law. Otherwise RV's are welcome and even mildly encouraged, and I have used them. Once was only less than two hours from my home; just had to "get the hell outa Dodge" as they say.... 'On The Road Again' was playing in my head all the way there.

[Edited on 11-22-2017 by bajabuddha]

86 - 45*

BornFisher
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 11-21-2017 at 10:36 PM

Try Ogiby road just inside the Calif. border. Plenty of boondocking spaces out there, with all the solitude you could ever want.
BTW there are some great apps to ID public land. Public lands is one, combined with Allstays for Walmarts is a great combo for those great American nomads!!!

"When you catch a fish, you open the door of happiness."
tjsue
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 11-22-2017 at 09:20 AM

Apparently, it's up to each individual store manager whether or not to allow the RV's to park overnight.
bajabuddha
Banned

[*] posted on 11-22-2017 at 05:34 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Cliffy  

After an 8 to 10 hour push on the roads towing a 5th wheel I could care less about 'ambiance'. Easy parking, quick level/set-up, walking distance to snacks and food as well as convenience of stocking up on what-have-you stuff, then set up the DVD for some brain-drain TV and FREE Wi-Fi (yes, Wally provides that too!).

EZ-PZ, a simple port in the storm on the road of life. :smug: :light:

Any and all other alternatives invited; there's lots of simple pull-offs around for the rolling campers out there.

[Edited on 11-23-2017 by bajabuddha]

86 - 45*

Paco Facullo
Super Nomad

Mood: Abiding ..........

[*] posted on 11-22-2017 at 05:48 PM

AND,,,,,,,,,,, It be FREE ...........
J.P.
Super Nomad

Mood: Easy Does It

[*] posted on 11-22-2017 at 11:02 PM
parking

Theres a nice county park in Potero Ca about 5 miles from the Tecate Crossing. A whole lot of the big R.V. Convoys use it for a stageing area.
I stayed there one night with my 36ft wheel. coming from Uma Az.

Hook
Elite Nomad

Mood: Inquisitive

[*] posted on 11-23-2017 at 08:20 AM

Quote: Originally posted by tjsue  
Apparently, it's up to each individual store manager whether or not to allow the RV's to park overnight.

It's most often up to the city/county that has jurisdiction in that area.

Any individual store manager would be a fool to ban RVs. They are a significant source of income. 99% of RV owners are responsible people. You can't afford to own or operate one, without being so.

I find Walmart's very convenient for the one-night-stand that is occasionally necessary. The border creates this situation.

I have probably spent ten nights (at least) at the Walmart in Nogales, before crossing the next morning. The Mariposa crossing, the most convenient for RVs or vehicles towing anything, is closed from 10pm-6am. Since our drive home from there is 5-6 hours and we prefer not to drive in the dark, we overnight at the border and cross the next day between 6-7am. Nogales is above 4000 feet. We find that the Aduana officials are much more cursory in their inspections at those hours, as temps in Oct-Nov can often be near freezing. They are anxious to get back to their heated kiosks.

But you wont find me spending multiple nights at a Walmart. Just no ambiance and they are rarely easy for dog walking.

In my travels, the absolute epitome of overuse of a Walmart for overnighting was in Cody, Wyoming in the summer. I've been there when people have awnings out, artificial turf and chairs spread out and even BBQs deployed. Good God, people, get a life.

The proximity to Yellowstone (where campsites and even dispersed camping can be difficult to find) and the multi-day attraction of the Buffalo Bill Center of the West tends to create this situation.

But we did spend one night here, before moving on.
J.P.
Super Nomad

Mood: Easy Does It

[*] posted on 11-23-2017 at 10:25 PM
Wally World Parking

City ordnance prevails. Other wise if it is on Mall property the Mall rules apply. If Walmart owns the property The Store Management Sets the Rules.

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.