BajaNomad
Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  
Author: Subject: Big Bear-SQ-BoLA-San Rafeal-San Francisquito-San Ignacio.
bobrehfuss
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 11-20-2017 at 12:57 PM
Big Bear-SQ-BoLA-San Rafeal-San Francisquito-San Ignacio.

Ok here goes my first trip report on Baja Nomad.

Nothing new to report between Big Bear and San Quintin except I got put therough the XRay at TJ crossing. My first time and it took an hour. Everyone very professional and nice but when I pulled into the machine they asked me to exit my vehicle and had me stand behind a brick wall where I couldn't see what was going on. No big deal but most of my cash was in the car. No prob but next time I will take the $$ with me just because. They XRayed me cause I had this tent on top of my car.

IMG_0520.PNG.jpg - 96kB

The roads were good and traffic not too bad. Provisioned in Ensenada and headed south. Stopped at my favorite mariscos stand "Mariscos Compadre" next to the Pemex on the road to Punta Banda just off the Hwy. Great stuff and killer Gratinada.
Off to San Quintin. Pulled in to the Mission Santa Maria for the night. Woke up to a beautiful sunny day on the beach.

IMG_0521.PNG.jpg - 91kB IMG_0522.PNG.jpg - 56kB
TMW
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 11-20-2017 at 01:17 PM

I have not stayed at the hotel for a couple of years but the trees add a nice flavor to the view. Have a good trip and thanks for posting.
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 11-20-2017 at 01:19 PM

Good start!

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

bobrehfuss
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 11-20-2017 at 01:36 PM

Well, I'm actually back from the trip but will have to do my report in bits and peices as time allows.

SQ to BoLA was beautiful drive. Desert is so green. Lots of potholes and some new pavement just before the turnoff as I'm sure all are aware of. Stayed the night at Los Vientos. New owners William and Rosa are super nice and the restaurant is fantastic. Not cheap here but I think the nicest place in Bahía and beachfront restaurant with AC and amazing food worth the price of admission IMO. Here are shots looking at SOC from the pool and under the beachfront palapa.

IMG_0523.PNG.jpg - 73kB IMG_0524.PNG.jpg - 72kB
woody with a view
PITA Nomad

Mood: Everchangin'

[*] posted on 11-20-2017 at 02:00 PM

That last foto doesn’t suck! Might be worth a visit for dinner someday?

mtgoat666
Select Nomad

Mood: Hot n spicy

[*] posted on 11-20-2017 at 02:53 PM

Quote: Originally posted by bobrehfuss  
Well, I'm actually back from the trip but will have to do my report in bits and peices as time allows.

SQ to BoLA was beautiful drive. Desert is so green. Lots of potholes and some new pavement just before the turnoff as I'm sure all are aware of. Stayed the night at Los Vientos. New owners William and Rosa are super nice and the restaurant is fantastic. Not cheap here but I think the nicest place in Bahía and beachfront restaurant with AC and amazing food worth the price of admission IMO. Here are shots looking at SOC from the pool and under the beachfront palapa.

Has los vientos bought a pool filter/fixed their pool filter?
last time i visited the pool appeared to have circulation and chemicals, but was obvious that they had no working vacuum/particulate filter, as the turbidity was going round and round, like the wheels on the bus, going round and round...
that's a really dusty place, they really need a pool vacuum and filter!

Woke!

“...ask not what your country can do for you – ask what you can do for your country.” “My fellow citizens of the world: ask not what America will do for you, but what together we can do for the freedom of man.”

Prefered gender pronoun: the royal we

David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 11-20-2017 at 03:31 PM

Good news on Los Vientos. It was a disaster years ago. It looked promissing this past January when I was collecting data for the new road guide.

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

woody with a view
PITA Nomad

Mood: Everchangin'

[*] posted on 11-20-2017 at 03:32 PM

Word of the day = turbidity

bobrehfuss
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 11-20-2017 at 06:48 PM

When i was there the water was clear and looked nice. I didn't swim as I was just there for the night as a jumping off point for my camping trip down the beach. There were two guys cleaning the pool in the morning before I left. Not sure if it's a daily thing or was just the right day. One thing I did notice different from before was there were no seagulls in the pool.
bobrehfuss
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 11-21-2017 at 09:34 PM

Ok now to the real report......

Headed from Bahía to Playa San Rafeal. The road was Baja tough but doable with no 4wd needed but clearance was nice cause it was rough in a few places. I think it took me about 4 hours but I stoped a lot, explored a couple side roads and travel slow to prevent unnecessary spillage of the road soda. The desert was as green and full of flowers as I've ever seen which just made the journey that much more the destination. Upon arrival at SR I was greeted by the ever present Francisco who this time insisted I call him Pancho instead of his usual "Corre Camino". He welcomed me, pointed out a couple of palapas on the beach and told me I was welcome to use either or camp anywhere I wanted on the beach. During my stay he visited a couple of times, introduced me to some fisherman from Guerrero Negro who were camping/launching on the beach and trap fishing for cabrilla. They had two pangas and actually had a refrigerated semi down there that they loaded their catch in each night when they returned. They left the same day I did back to GN and the semi departed with 3.5 tons, yes tons, of fish bound for sale in TJ. For those of you into fish they were targeting goldenspotted bass aka extranjero. On the second day the teenage son of the fisherman, who stayed on the beach looking after things while the boats were out fishing, went snorkling on the point and gaffed a couple octopi and gave them to me. I love pulpo so I returned the favor with a package of venison that I brought with me. I stayed on the beach 3 days and 2 nights with beautiful weather and a huge sky full of stars. I fished the beach but couldn't connect with the big fish feeding on the massive schools of bait fish because they were either too far out or when they were close I couldn't keep up with them. There is a beautiful lagoon about 100 yards from the beach that is full of mullet and pargo. The pargo were hungry and willing to play which was pretty fun and a first for me to see or catch fish in land locked lagoon.

The road to Playa San Rafeal

IMG_0535.PNG.jpg - 73kB

Some shots of the amazing desert scenery between BoLA and SR

IMG_0536.PNG.jpg - 149kB IMG_0537.PNG.jpg - 57kB IMG_0538.PNG.jpg - 88kB IMG_0539.PNG.jpg - 108kB IMG_0540.PNG.jpg - 135kB

First glimpse of water after leaving Bahía.

[file]35894[/file

IMG_0541.PNG.jpg - 47kB
bobrehfuss
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 11-21-2017 at 10:52 PM

Beachfront palapa and campsite

IMG_0542.PNG.jpg - 66kB IMG_0543.PNG.jpg - 52kB IMG_0544.PNG.jpg - 62kB

The neighbors

IMG_0545.PNG.jpg - 55kB IMG_0546.PNG.jpg - 93kB

Beautiful lagoon

IMG_0547.PNG.jpg - 65kB IMG_0548.PNG.jpg - 67kB

A group of Kyakers that I met in SR. They had left from BoLA and were on a three week trip to Mulege. A few days later we met again in San Francisquito.

IMG_0549.PNG.jpg - 68kB
BornFisher
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 11-21-2017 at 11:16 PM

Thanks Bob-- that last pic shows the Baja we all love. So desolate, so clear, so beautiful, with an angel in the background!!

"When you catch a fish, you open the door of happiness."
bobrehfuss
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 11-21-2017 at 11:56 PM

Off to Punta San Francisquito. Thanks to Nomad, C205Driver for all the great info.

The road between SR and SF was a little rougher but still doable. Again the desert was just spectacular.

Arrived SF to find every room occupied. A group of guys pre running the Baja 1000, a couple guys from Canada riding to Cabo and a family from Michigan on their first baja adventure. Not exactly what I was expecting but I was camping so I didn't need a bed and there was plenty of beach.

The next morning everyone was gone by the time I got out of bed and for the rest of my stay it was only Juan and Loenel (father and son that manage the place) and Rosa, a local from Viscaino that lives at SF and runs the restaurant 9 months out of the year.

It's RUSTIC, lol, but got cabanas with beds, bathrooms with water (sometimes) and a restaurant with Rosa making some of the best food in Baja. She made some of the best birria I've had and she whooped those octopi, that I traded some venison for at San Rafeal, ranchera style that was out of this world.

It was windy every afternoon and evening. They told me that it was always windy there. Mornings were nice and great fishing down the beach on a reef for triggers, leopard grouper, sculpin and skipjack.

Rosa had cold Pacifico and great food ready each day when I returned from fishing. Her, Juan and Leo were great company and it was nice enjoying dinner and swapping stories in the evenings.

Each morning I saw turtle tracks coming from the water, the hole they dug to lay eggs and their tracks back to the sea. Another first for me. Each day I saw turtles swimming close to shore. All of the nests but one were discovered and plundered by coyotes.

Some more desert pics

IMG_0550.PNG.jpg - 84kB IMG_0551.PNG.jpg - 122kB IMG_0552.PNG.jpg - 106kB IMG_0553.PNG.jpg - 66kB IMG_0554.PNG.jpg - 120kB IMG_0555.PNG.jpg - 140kB

The road to San Francisquito

IMG_0556.PNG.jpg - 54kB IMG_0557.PNG.jpg - 147kB

bobrehfuss
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 11-22-2017 at 12:03 AM

My campsite and the view up and down the beach.

IMG_0558.PNG.jpg - 60kB IMG_0559.PNG.jpg - 56kB IMG_0560.PNG.jpg - 67kB

Couple fishy pics and one crabby.

IMG_0561.PNG.jpg - 164kB IMG_0562.PNG.jpg - 132kB IMG_0563.PNG.jpg - 122kB
bobrehfuss
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 11-22-2017 at 12:20 AM

Offf to San Ignacio via El Arco. Well this route is easier than the road from the north but still Baja rough and doable. With that being said I did manage to break my rear differential and roasted an axle somewhere between BoLA and El Arco. Fortunately it held up until I got back to Big Bear so it didn't affect my trip only my wallet, lol.

I know I must be sounding like a broken record but the desert was alive, wow!

IMG_0564.PNG.jpg - 193kB IMG_0565.PNG.jpg - 121kB

IMG_0566.PNG.jpg - 114kB IMG_0567.PNG.jpg - 46kB IMG_0568.PNG.jpg - 49kB IMG_0569.PNG.jpg - 62kB

[Edited on 11-22-2017 by bobrehfuss]
bobrehfuss
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 11-22-2017 at 12:46 AM

Made it to Ignacio Springs B&B and enjoyed a nice bed in one of their yurts. After a nice breakfast the next morning which happened to be Dia De Muertos I headed to San Ignacio to see the sights. That night it was a full moon kayak on the river.

My yurt

IMG_0570.PNG.jpg - 133kB

Mission and Alter

IMG_0575.PNG.jpg - 90kB IMG_0571.PNG.jpg - 133kB IMG_0572.PNG.jpg - 136kB IMG_0573.PNG.jpg - 167kB IMG_0574.PNG.jpg - 135kB

Full moon rise over the river

IMG_0576.PNG.jpg - 66kB
bobrehfuss
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 11-22-2017 at 01:04 AM

Well, with one week left my plan was to head to Laguna San Ignacio, then down to San Juanico, through La Purisma to Bahía Conception then home. However due to technical difficulties (my back) I ended up spending three days flat on my back in bed at Ignacio Springs then took the next three days limping home. Well, I guess I have another trip planned for next time.

I did manage to stop in to La Lobera on my way north and that was pretty cool.

La Lobera and the pacific coast.

IMG_0579.PNG.jpg - 70kB IMG_0577.PNG.jpg - 74kB IMG_0578.PNG.jpg - 76kB

Sunset at La Lobera and the beautiful Pacific.

IMG_0580.PNG.jpg - 51kB IMG_0581.PNG.jpg - 67kB IMG_0582.PNG.jpg - 112kB
C205Driver
Nomad

Mood: Life is Good

[*] posted on 11-22-2017 at 06:43 AM

Good pictures & good story, sorry to hear about your back! OUCH! Did you have to wait in line at PSFO since it was “crowded”???
David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 11-22-2017 at 08:02 AM

Bravo!:bounce::bounce::bounce:

BajaBlanca
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 11-22-2017 at 08:12 AM

What a beautiful photo full description filled trip report. Never, in the 12 years we have lived here, have I tired of seeing Baja desert pictures!

Thanks for taking the time out to put this together. I do hope that next time you sneak over to our side too.

Come visit La Bocana

https://sites.google.com/view/bajabocanahotel/home

And always remember, life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by those moments that take our breath away.
 Pages:  1  

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.