BajaNomad
Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1    3  ..  5
Author: Subject: Baja 2017 Dec 19th - Jan 5th. Looking for partner Car or to join a caravan.
GearIntoAdventure
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 11-20-2017 at 10:24 PM
Baja 2017 Dec 19th - Jan 5th. Looking for partner Car or to join a caravan.

My name is Victor from:
facebook.com/GearIntoAdventure

I'm from Vancouver, BC, Canada. My vacation will start 17th and I was planning on making jump to Baja in 2 days.

I'm looking for possibility of going Baja 2017 Dec 19th - Jan 5th. Looking for partner Car or to join a caravan.
My idea was to do Baja 2017 1000 race route with detours to secluded beaches and mainly focus on exploring
offroad Baja.

I'm traveling solo unfortunately and this is where I get mixed signals by different people with Baja knowledge.

Some people say that if I go alone then I will be just fine. Where is some less common opinions are not
to do this alone and without knowledge of spanish and and personal safety or in a shiny rig.

I'm not sure how "REALLY" safe baja is for solo traveler in a shiny rig and is why I think i should get a taste of
overlanding in a foreign country not doing solo. (USA doesn't count as it is same as Canada)

Let me know if you are interesting in a little caravan or if you have particular Baja caravan resources I could look into.

thank you,

Vic
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 11-21-2017 at 07:29 AM

Hi Vic,
In the Baja Trip Reports Forum here on Nomad, you will get a lot of ideas of what sideroads to take and what might interest you. Look for my TRIP #1 to TRIP #7 reports as they were all this year (2017) researching roads to interesting sites and beach camps and can give you some ideas. What kind of vehicle are you in, a sturdy 4WD truck or SUV, I hope! 2WD will be fine for 90% of the driving, but the really cool, glorious camping locations and points of interest may be securely reached with only a 4X4 and lowered tire air pressure.
Feel free to throw questions out there, most of us on Nomad are happy to help you become addicted to this most-fascinating peninsula... the land that was California first!

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

GearIntoAdventure
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 11-21-2017 at 01:23 PM

My rig can go anywhere for the most part and there is fun at looking at gps for a beach spot and just picking some road and try to get there.
this is the rig
https://youtu.be/66q3L41OwBk

My only concern is that I'm solo and was looking for maybe possibly join some caravan?
TMW
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 11-21-2017 at 01:46 PM

I travel Baja solo a lot of times and have no problems. Just be aware of your surroundings and use good judgement. I don't drive at night for a couple of reasons unless absolutely necessary. My night vision is not what it use to be. As for Spanish I suggest you get a Spanish to English/English to Spanish dictionary and learn at least a few common words. You'll find that except in remote places most hotel, restaurant and gas stations speak enough English to get by.

Take pesos for gas and supplies you may need. Credit cards can be used in most places in the bigger towns. US dollars can be used but the exchange rate changes place to place and always double check the conversion.

Have fun and be friendly.
TMW
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 11-21-2017 at 01:48 PM

I think you will get a lot of people looking at your rig. Pretty cool.
AKgringo
Elite Nomad

Mood: Retireded

[*] posted on 11-21-2017 at 02:36 PM

Except for a couple of days following two motorcycles last Thanksgiving, I have always explored alone (with dog). I feel comfortable doing so, but I have at least a low level of conversational skills in Spanish.

Every plan I have tried to make this season went bust, but I have not given up on a mid winter trip this season. Keep us posted on your progress, and perhaps I will be able to tag along with you for a while (no cliff climbing though)!

Helpful hint, I have found more remote sweet spots following arroyos down to the sea, or up to the hills, than I have on roads! I try not to leave tracks in vegetated areas, but flood planes are self correcting.

Nice rig, your wheels and tires are probably equal in value to my whole car!

If you are not living on the edge, you are taking up too much space!

"Could do better if he tried!" Report card comments from most of my grade school teachers. Sadly, still true!
BooJumMan
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 11-21-2017 at 07:17 PM

Baja is better solo...
But it is also better to do without making videos to entice the world to "go explore" Baja.... the reason why it is a special place is because it hasn't (quite) yet been destroyed by the masses.

I'm assuming though...that is your reason for going..? To blog and make videos so everyone can see how cool you are?

In that pre-Google Earth and social media epoch, The Code was adhered to. It was based on a simple verity: if a locale had been transformational for you, and you had put the hard yards in to get there and to learn it, to know it, why in god�s name would you broadcast the news, thus ruining the future experience not only for yourself, but for future adventurers?
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 11-21-2017 at 07:20 PM

Books, videos, photos do not ruin Baja... otherwise, Baja would have been ruined 50 years ago (well to some of us paving the road did that, lol)!
Baja has a magic and one of its charms is we can go back to the same place and see different things, each time.

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

GearIntoAdventure
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 11-21-2017 at 08:38 PM

Quote: Originally posted by TMW  
I think you will get a lot of people looking at your rig. Pretty cool.

Thats good in usa/canada. certainly not good in mexico :)
GearIntoAdventure
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 11-21-2017 at 08:46 PM

Quote: Originally posted by AKgringo  
Except for a couple of days following two motorcycles last Thanksgiving, I have always explored alone (with dog). I feel comfortable doing so, but I have at least a low level of conversational skills in Spanish.

Every plan I have tried to make this season went bust, but I have not given up on a mid winter trip this season. Keep us posted on your progress, and perhaps I will be able to tag along with you for a while (no cliff climbing though)!

Helpful hint, I have found more remote sweet spots following arroyos down to the sea, or up to the hills, than I have on roads! I try not to leave tracks in vegetated areas, but flood planes are self correcting.

Nice rig, your wheels and tires are probably equal in value to my whole car!

That's what makes this tricky in developing countries. Most people travel in cars that don't stand out much where I'm a target probably a mile away for some one thinking that i didn't put sweat and tears and all my money into this. Well my dates are set on 19th-5th as i mentioned. I'm really about beach hopping through some mild offroading. Nothing too crazy, just scenic offroad chilling with some beaches reward. I'm a bit scared to do this solo because of people so this week i guess is my threshold point if i break and chicken out or push forward with this trip. If I do then i need to get car insurance done this weekend as time is running out. If i do care insurance through like DiscoverBaja... how long does it take for the process?

So if you feel like joining me please do let me know and ideally we go in together across the border :)
GearIntoAdventure
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 11-21-2017 at 08:53 PM

Quote: Originally posted by BooJumMan  

I'm assuming though...that is your reason for going..? To blog and make videos so everyone can see how cool you are?

Your assumptions are wrong in the core.
Firstly I just want adventure and go to cool places and there is nothing secret about Baja, people go there left and right, they just do it not solo usually. Its like heaven for all the snowbirds from canada and usa.

Making videos takes effort, time from vacation, time from daylight. It is a job that eats up a lot of energy. If I had the money for all my future traveling ambitions then I wouldn't be shooting any videos at all as I rather just relax and do some scenic driving. However it does kind of feel good when after all that you produce a video episode. A sense of achievment.
So making videos is indeed sharing with people cool places where potentually they are thinking of going and at the same time potentually some kind of future revenue for me to cover my future expenses. Well so far video production only takes money.

Showing how cool you are is like what teenagers do. This is about trying to pay my expenses for doing more trips in the future if any of this takes off at all. And I'm glad it provides entertainment value to some people. Also through making social media stuff I have met already several people that we become friends. You meet more like minded people...
mtgoat666
Select Nomad

Mood: Hot n spicy

[*] posted on 11-21-2017 at 10:30 PM

Quote: Originally posted by GearIntoAdventure  

If I do then i need to get car insurance done this weekend as time is running out. If i do care insurance through like DiscoverBaja... how long does it take for the process?

Buying online takes about 5 minutes

Re your blingy truck, it will fit right in in Baja. Lots of blingy 4x4s in baja, lots of southern Californians in baja driving their tricked out suburban mall crawlers.
Do you have a day glow green energy drink logo trucker cap and t-shirt? If yes, wear ‘em, you’ll fit right in!

Woke!

“...ask not what your country can do for you – ask what you can do for your country.” “My fellow citizens of the world: ask not what America will do for you, but what together we can do for the freedom of man.”

Prefered gender pronoun: the royal we

mtgoat666
Select Nomad

Mood: Hot n spicy

[*] posted on 11-21-2017 at 10:38 PM

If your vacation isn’t documented on Facebook and YouTube drone and GoPro videos, then it didn’t happen!
And if you don’t get lots of “likes” and some viral video contagion, then you are a loser!

Woke!

“...ask not what your country can do for you – ask what you can do for your country.” “My fellow citizens of the world: ask not what America will do for you, but what together we can do for the freedom of man.”

Prefered gender pronoun: the royal we

GearIntoAdventure
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 11-21-2017 at 11:06 PM

Quote: Originally posted by mtgoat666  

If your vacation isn’t documented on Facebook and YouTube drone and GoPro videos, then it didn’t happen!
And if you don’t get lots of “likes” and some viral video contagion, then you are a loser!

Gosh why did I even come here for some answers or to tag along. Lots of some sort of jealousy and butt hurtfulness. Haven't seen this much negativity in one tiny internet space in a tiny fraction of time in a while.

I've traveled plenty before any of this truck stuff or videos and or these overlanding attempts. Could care less if no one knew about it. In fact I rather people not know what I do in ideal world and just do my own thing. Most people work for "likes" not to be cool to you and in fact probably could care less if you think they are cool or not cool but do it to support their further endeavours by either your support or a nicer guy next to you. It is arguable that one can put a bucket on wheels and travel the world or another needing half a million to do the same. Everyone tries to do their thing in the way they know or can or have means for.

Ken Cooke
Elite Nomad

Mood: Black Trans Lives Matter

[*] posted on 11-21-2017 at 11:40 PM

I say have a good time and don't stress out with worries about losing your possessions.

A real smart modification I payed for is the RAVELCO anti theft system.

A real good idea is to gas up in San Diego (minus your Gerry cans) and breeze past Tijuana, and Rosarito. Titos Tacos has a new location in Ensenada on the main drag that serves some great Mariscos. You can take food to go. If you run the trails from Ojos Negros to the summit, take your time as you descend to the Laguna Salada.

Loose ATVs and sand toys get stolen in San Felipe - particularly during Semana Santa (go figure). During las Navidades, more Americanos will be crowding the available motels and restaurants. But, for beaches, you'll probably see other campers scattered about, but this isn't necessarily a bad thing.

I drove with friends in 2000 to Cabo and back and I saw that most of the crowds went straight to the small population centers and towns along both coasts. This sounds like a fun adventure. I would go forward with the trip, but carefully hide all electronics away from your windows. Don't drive through cities at night, and watch for corrupt cops asking for you to pay fines on the side of the street. Make black and white identification photocopies and HIDE your original documents. Carry a stash of cash in case you lose your wallet or, as what happened to some friends on the Copper Canyon Jeep run - leave your money belt with $2k on top of the toilet in the restroom at a Pemex station.

Have a great time, but be aware of your surroundings and watch for people in breakdown scenarios who may be trying to pull a jack move. I visit all over northern Baja California, Tijuana, Ensenada and while monitor Facebook groups like Carros Robados en Tijuana, just to follow the evolving nature of auto thefts. I could go on, but no be paranoid, just be educated and aware.

GearIntoAdventure
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 11-22-2017 at 12:48 AM

Thanks Ken.
Me and my truck on trips are inseparable. The only reason I would even be around towns is to fill up on gas and may be a little bit of produce and always keeping an eye on the car. Will make sure to cover my equipment.

All I really wanted from the upcoming 3 weeks trip is sense of freedom, away from towns, long trails, secluded beaches, remoteness and of course the warm weather.

This time of the year in usa and canada its pretty much impossible to have nice weather in some remote places. Well maybe florida and very south of california and arizona. However the problem with california is that its got very limited free access to water without some official camp grounds or civilization all around and interior is colder. Having just crossed Mojave desert and El Camino del diablo i rather not return there same year.

This is why I got fixated on Baja - warm weather and a lot of space for free roaming but at the price of insecurity of the environment. I have finally convinced my father to join on the trip but then a week later last week he bailed, so this is where i am now. Scared to go alone in a very sore in the eyes car but at the same time wanting it so much.

I was thinking as a backup if i chicken out to drive to florida and maybe offroad there a bit. But researching offroading in that location it seems it is all very commercialized there and mostly mud bogs. Baja seems like the only option for this time of the year for that "freedom".

Well, if anyone could tag me alone it would be awesome as a first taste of Baja. At least maybe for even just a few days.

[Edited on 11-22-2017 by GearIntoAdventure]

[Edited on 11-22-2017 by GearIntoAdventure]
Ken Cooke
Elite Nomad

Mood: Black Trans Lives Matter

[*] posted on 11-22-2017 at 08:24 AM

I would go to Baja regardless of what I was driving. My 14 year old Jeep Rubicon also attracts people's attention, but it's what I have, so it's what I drive.
You see lots of blinged out overland trucks along the Sea of Cortez coast. I have seen fully restored Pinzgauers (camped at BoLA) and a nice Earthroamer stuck in the sand at Gonzaga Bay near Alfonsinas.

So, I would skip the Florida mud bogs and frigid 4 corners region. You won't have anything to worry about as you reach warmer sections of Baja - just don't linger at midnight outside of an OXXO in the Tijuana area or fill your ice chest at a Pemex station (with panhandlers and people hanging out on the cell phone) with your wallet on the passenger seat with the doors unlocked and your keys inside the ignition.

In populated areas (especially at night) be aware and keep your personal things out of sight . Don't pick up hitchhikers, and have a fun time.

MMc
Super Nomad

Mood: Current

[*] posted on 11-22-2017 at 08:52 AM

GearIntoAdventure GO! Welcome to the sandbox.You'll have a great time, I travel solo all the time. There are plenty of places to go and see. I you decide to use the 1000 route plan to go very slow. The road is beat up, it passable but off camber woops will keep you honest.

When we see a facebook sticker on the side of your truck tend to make us jump to conclusions. Your wrap isn't that unique for Baja riggs. I don't post reports on trips mostly because the trip and what I do aren't important. Your truck will get you just about anywhere in Baja, don't be surprised when a old rolling rust bucket shows up asking for a parking fee.:bounce:

"Never teach a pig to sing it frustrates you and annoys the pig" - W.C.Fields

Paco Facullo
Super Nomad

Mood: Abiding ..........

[*] posted on 11-22-2017 at 09:02 AM

Hey there Gear,

My vote is just go for it .
90% of the time I travel alone not just in Baja but all over the world.
I've been going alone to Colombia since early 2000's . People would always tell me your nuts your going to get killed or kidnapped ! Guess what ?
I had some of the BEST times in my life ..
I've found that you're only alone IF you want to be alone, as there are many like minded people traveling that are easy to hook up with. If you choose to.

I'm leaving on another Baja adventure this Sunday.
I most always stop in Tijuana and Ensenada and love them both. But IF I had your rig I probably wouldn't.(Unless staying in a vary secured parking lot at night.)
Although the rest of Baja ( except San Quintin ) you really don't have much to worry about.

There's a story about a couple that bought a VW van and drove it to Argentina. While in the USA everyone warned them about HOW dangerous Mexico is. Trans-versing Mexico they had a GREAT time. Then when going into Belize everyone said how dangerous Belize is.
They had a great time in Belize. This happened time and time again while crossing boarders into another. They made it to Argentina safe and sound having the time of their life's

Baja is such a vary special place it is SO worth the risk. Although the risk isn't near what most people think.
>

[Edited on 11-22-2017 by Paco Facullo]
GearIntoAdventure
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 11-22-2017 at 01:07 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Ken Cooke  
I would go to Baja regardless of what I was driving. My 14 year old Jeep Rubicon also attracts people's attention, but it's what I have, so it's what I drive.
You see lots of blinged out overland trucks along the Sea of Cortez coast. I have seen fully restored Pinzgauers (camped at BoLA) and a nice Earthroamer stuck in the sand at Gonzaga Bay near Alfonsinas.

So, I would skip the Florida mud bogs and frigid 4 corners region. You won't have anything to worry about as you reach warmer sections of Baja - just don't linger at midnight outside of an OXXO in the Tijuana area or fill your ice chest at a Pemex station (with panhandlers and people hanging out on the cell phone) with your wallet on the passenger seat with the doors unlocked and your keys inside the ignition.

In populated areas (especially at night) be aware and keep your personal things out of sight . Don't pick up hitchhikers, and have a fun time.

hehe earthroamer stuck in the send! :) Yah my truck is pennies compare to the likes of those :)

My plan was to enter Tecate in the morning. Drive to Ensenada, maybe stop to eat quickly keeping eye on truck having it in line of sight and then zip to La Bufadora camp grounds for the first night. Then on day 2 from there either descend down to some first secluded beach somewhere or hop on baja 1000 route and keep going untill i fill like jumping out to some secluded beach.
I wasn't planning on driving in the darkness in any cities. However some night driving in the countryside sometimes is needed to cover distances and start next day with some big scenic surprise.
 Pages:  1    3  ..  5

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.