BajaNomad
Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  2    4  5
Author: Subject: Baja 2017 Dec 19th - Jan 5th. Looking for partner Car or to join a caravan.
GearIntoAdventure
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 11-22-2017 at 01:14 PM

Quote: Originally posted by MMc  
GearIntoAdventure GO! Welcome to the sandbox.You'll have a great time, I travel solo all the time. There are plenty of places to go and see. I you decide to use the 1000 route plan to go very slow. The road is beat up, it passable but off camber woops will keep you honest.

When we see a facebook sticker on the side of your truck tend to make us jump to conclusions. Your wrap isn't that unique for Baja riggs. I don't post reports on trips mostly because the trip and what I do aren't important. Your truck will get you just about anywhere in Baja, don't be surprised when a old rolling rust bucket shows up asking for a parking fee.:bounce:

Oh for sure I was going to drive baja1000 slow. My suspension is not built for that kind of racing. I would ruin my truck probably in the first 5-10min if i attempted speeds :)

I can't possibly see how a bucket would show up asking for a parking fee if I'm never in a position to get one, or otherwise not in towns other than gas and short stop for re-supply at a store but probably resupply at gas station is sufficent enough since I have month of food supply of cans and and that kind of stuff anyway from canada. Stopping for resupply is only when i feel like veriety in my diet. In worst case I dont need to stop in towns for food for a month.
GearIntoAdventure
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 11-22-2017 at 01:21 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Paco Facullo  
Hey there Gear,

My vote is just go for it .
90% of the time I travel alone not just in Baja but all over the world.
I've been going alone to Colombia since early 2000's . People would always tell me your nuts your going to get killed or kidnapped ! Guess what ?
I had some of the BEST times in my life ..
I've found that you're only alone IF you want to be alone, as there are many like minded people traveling that are easy to hook up with. If you choose to.

I'm leaving on another Baja adventure this Sunday.
I most always stop in Tijuana and Ensenada and love them both. But IF I had your rig I probably wouldn't.(Unless staying in a vary secured parking lot at night.)
Although the rest of Baja ( except San Quintin ) you really don't have much to worry about.

There's a story about a couple that bought a VW van and drove it to Argentina. While in the USA everyone warned them about HOW dangerous Mexico is. Trans-versing Mexico they had a GREAT time. Then when going into Belize everyone said how dangerous Belize is.
They had a great time in Belize. This happened time and time again while crossing boarders into another. They made it to Argentina safe and sound having the time of their life's

Baja is such a vary special place it is SO worth the risk. Although the risk isn't near what most people think.
>

[Edited on 11-22-2017 by Paco Facullo]

Border of tecate straight to ensenada and then off to remoteness is the plan and stay mostly offroad is the plan and hopefully bumping offroad somewhere on on beaches into some other overlanding guys from who knows where. The whole idea for me of traveling by car in my rig is that I dont stop in towns to sleep or in motels or even official campgrounds. Well partially you save money this way too if you dont pay for even a campground. I do a designated campground only If i absolutely have to and have no choice in the area for an off beaten path place to sleep. So there is no chance at all I would end up at night in some motel with the car parked outside in some parking lot. That scenario would defeat the purpose of my travels in this rig. I only sleep in my car :)

As far as people traveling to argentina or other places in the world and sometimes even in way more expensive rigs than mine.... Oh i've seen plenty already on youtube and followed some people's travels. Its just usually it is at least a couple. 2-3-4 people, a couple or a family. I've never seen solo people yet doing cross continental stuff. Those people and those videos is what inspired me and got me all started to crave these kind of travels and dumping all my savings in my rig and all that. Its all I got now :)

I was thinking if I can do Baja this xmass season. Then I could maybe drive to Belize next xmass as a baby steps towards future cross continental travel in my either current rig or what comes after it. Well next august is reserved for Alaska and Arctic circle for a month. But xmass time thats what I was thinking, a little push past mexico. I just haven't realized how hard it would be to make a decision about Baja. I made that decision 2 months ago, just on a spot and it all sounded great and colorful until i started reading, hearing stories, getting all freaked out and all that as time approaches for making that decision.

[Edited on 11-22-2017 by GearIntoAdventure]
MMc
Super Nomad

Mood: Current

[*] posted on 11-22-2017 at 02:01 PM

Be aware that Baja is owned by somebody, including the beaches. I have been very remote and had a guy ask for a camping fee. Please don't expect to be alone a lot of the time, most of the roads go someplace. That's why the rust bucket is there.

Don't be overly paranoid about you rig. I have had 1 breakin in hundreds of trips south, it was about 15 years ago. I will park by the heads in Ensenada and leave it alone for hours, night and day not a problem. I know what you are doing is a bit out of the box for you, some of us do it all the time.
Go, Explore, Roll around Baja and Enjoy yourself.

"Never teach a pig to sing it frustrates you and annoys the pig" - W.C.Fields

David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 11-22-2017 at 03:11 PM

What MMc says.
Public beaches do have fee collectors but it may be just 100 pesos or $6.
In my trip reports are beaches and places where nobody is, primarily because only 4x4s can go there, so no fee collectors.
Here are some such places I camped like that in 2017:
Gulf side:
Shell Island
Gonzaga Bay (near Pta. Final)
Las Animas
Bahia San Rafael (2 places)
La Perla (sometimes no fee collected)

Pacific side:
Bahia Corbin
Dunes near Punta Lobos
Dunes of Salina El Datil

Plus countless desert locations.

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

GearIntoAdventure
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 11-22-2017 at 03:17 PM

Quote: Originally posted by MMc  
Be aware that Baja is owned by somebody, including the beaches. I have been very remote and had a guy ask for a camping fee. Please don't expect to be alone a lot of the time, most of the roads go someplace. That's why the rust bucket is there.

Don't be overly paranoid about you rig. I have had 1 breakin in hundreds of trips south, it was about 15 years ago. I will park by the heads in Ensenada and leave it alone for hours, night and day not a problem. I know what you are doing is a bit out of the box for you, some of us do it all the time.
Go, Explore, Roll around Baja and Enjoy yourself.

Right on. All the extra encouragement helps. On expedition portal a girl responded today that they will be in Baja around same dates as me, just a bit earlier they will enter and offered to join them. And funny thing is that I've been to mexico 9 times in my life, just by plane and hotels and in safe zones...the lazy way... So yah if we can cooperate maybe I could tag to them right away after entering mexico the same day and just kinda hang out with them for a few days to get a sense of things.

Thats the thing, to some more veteran people I may sound like a scared kid. But then when i talk to people at home and offer them to come on some trips with me, everyone is scared to go into the woods or in this case dare to drive in a car to a developing country, or even just usa. Compare to them I'm just like the bravest guy! Compare to you I'm just a paranoid noob :)

[Edited on 11-22-2017 by GearIntoAdventure]
GearIntoAdventure
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 11-22-2017 at 04:11 PM

Quote: Originally posted by David K  
What MMc says.
Public beaches do have fee collectors but it may be just 100 pesos or $6.
In my trip reports are beaches and places where nobody is, primarily because only 4x4s can go there, so no fee collectors.
Here are some such places I camped like that in 2017:
Gulf side:
Shell Island
Gonzaga Bay (near Pta. Final)
Las Animas
Bahia San Rafael (2 places)
La Perla (sometimes no fee collected)

Pacific side:
Bahia Corbin
Dunes near Punta Lobos
Dunes of Salina El Datil

Plus countless desert locations.

Thanks. I've marked some locations and some I already had from Ioverlander
GearIntoAdventure
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 11-22-2017 at 04:27 PM

How does it work there for making fires where you camp? are you allowed fully?
Are there generally enough fire making material on the beaches or you have to bring your own bundles of wood generally if you plan camp fires on beaches?
Can you buy bundles of wood at gas stations?
David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 11-22-2017 at 04:30 PM

I just looked at ioverlander.com, see some edits needed... It is Bahía Santa María, not 'Santa Rosalia', lol!

I funny about accuracy in place names! :biggrin:

Edit: I just saw you asked about camp fires...

Yes, having a campfire is one of those special treats that make being outdoors special!
Having wood available is not always a sure thing... In towns, look for the word 'leña' which is firewood for sale.
I bring those artificial logs (a case from Costco is a good deal) and that is enough or (if I have any) I add real wood to it.
Taking wood into Mexico is not something the border guards will like seeing. You can stow-away clean wood inside your camper, perhaps.
In the boonies (not near any inhabited places), in arroyos (dry washes), you can find plenty of dead desert wood. Be sure to watch out for scorpions (and rattlesnakes) when collecting.
Enjoy...
Oh, if you happen to go to any of the many copper mines in Baja, grab some of the (green) rocks (ore) and toss into the fire after it has gotten really hot. In a few minutes, these "Magic" rocks (so named by Paulina) give off beautiful colors!

[Edited on 11-22-2017 by David K]

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

GearIntoAdventure
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 11-22-2017 at 04:57 PM

Cool. Thats a good idea. Ill stock up on artificial logs just in case. Forgot they even exist :)

Some sources say that you should never give a bribe to a cop in mexico or like when you are stopped for nothing and being asked for money by a cop as you can go to jail.

Yet other sources say you can get beat up by a cop if you dont share some pesos even if you had no fault for being stopped.

What is more true for dealing with authorities?
David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 11-22-2017 at 05:19 PM

Quote: Originally posted by GearIntoAdventure  
Cool. Thats a good idea. Ill stock up on artificial logs just in case. Forgot they even exist :)

Some sources say that you should never give a bribe to a cop in mexico or like when you are stopped for nothing and being asked for money by a cop as you can go to jail.

Yet other sources say you can get beat up by a cop if you dont share some pesos even if you had no fault for being stopped.

What is more true for dealing with authorities?

More BS than reality!
MOST cops are nice, honest, and you will never need to worry about them.

While I have been pulled over, both because I did something wrong and when I know I didn't, the thing to do is NOT be in a hurry. Smile, act innocent, apologetic, etc. SMILE!

NEVER PAY a COP, bribe or otherwise. That just enforces their bad behavior... It was okay in the old days when $10-20 made life go by easily if you know you were wrong ("Can you pay the fine for me?", being the line).

1) If you didn't do anything wrong, for sure (and always come to a full stop, count to three, then move on, especially true in Tecate and Ciudad Constitucion, but not true in La Paz where stopping at stop signs might get you rear-ended!):
Insist on going to the station and see the 'judge'! Cops looking for easy money will try and wear you down with fear, saying the fine is hundreds of dollars and jail time... FALSE. Traffic fines are low in Mexico. Usually, a bad cop will tell you to follow him to the station but will stop along the way and return your license and you can go.

2) If you did do something wrong just be apologetic, explain this is your first trip to Mexico and you were confused, etc. All good cops I have met are compassionate and knowing the complications for tourist, may give you a warning.

Relax, drive carefully, and you may never have a police encounter. The highways often have ridiculously slow speed limits, such as 80 kph on straight, desert roads... but the Federal Highway Patrol has RADAR! I got tagged north of El Rosario on my last trip coming over a rise, cruising along not thinking I was faster than 60 (in a 50 zone). I was 66 (107 kph) per the radar gun... the cop was so nice, he let me see it work, I love Mexico!

GearIntoAdventure
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 11-22-2017 at 05:47 PM

thanks!

There was a recommendation somewhere to photocopy all of your documentation and credit cards and your insurance and your car ownership and all that and to carry copies in the car while another set of copies on you and hide away your real stuff somewhere deep in the car.

Or better carry real stuff on you and hide away copies of everything in 2 places?

If you present some documentation to a cop that stops you, I would assume he would obviously need to see your real stuff not some photocopies, right?

Also I assume going 10km/h over a speed limit is also unofficially ok just like in usa or canada?

Oh and I guess last question before new ones arise :)
To get insurance where is better? discoverbaja or bajabound?
Is there a way I can insure online my total car value of all the mods? All i can tell is that if something happens all they would cover is just the cost of the car.

[Edited on 11-23-2017 by GearIntoAdventure]

David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 11-22-2017 at 05:58 PM

thanks!

There was a recommendation somewhere to photocopy all of your documentation and credit cards and your insurance and your car ownership and all that and to carry copies in the car while another set of copies on you and hide away your real stuff somewhere deep in the car.

Or better carry real stuff on you and hide away copies of everything in 2 places?

If you present some documentation to a cop that stops you, I would assume he would obviously need to see your real stuff not some photocopies, right?

Also I assume going 10km/h over a speed limit is also unofficially ok just like in usa or canada?

You are overthinking it all, but that's okay. I keep a copy of by Baja Bound insurance in a secret spot in my camping gear, and I have my expired drivers license in my truck, as well. I have driven in Baja for 44 years (since I turned 16) and never had to surrender my license or have it taken from me. Of course, I don't hang out in cities, drink and drive, act too stupid. I primarily camp and use repeatedly two motels that are outstanding and inexpensive when I need a break from the tent or it is too late to set up camp: Baja Cactus Motel (El Rosario) and Hotel La Huerta (San Ignacio).

Paco Facullo
Super Nomad

Mood: Abiding ..........

[*] posted on 11-22-2017 at 06:09 PM

David,

"I got tagged north of El Rosario on my last trip coming over a rise, cruising along not thinking I was faster than 60 (in a 50 zone). I was 66 (107 kph) per the radar gun... the cop was so nice, he let me see it work, I love Mexico! "

You left out an important part , How and where did you pay your ticket ?
Or did the Cop just give you a warning?

Ken Cooke
Elite Nomad

Mood: Black Trans Lives Matter

[*] posted on 11-22-2017 at 07:00 PM

David, If you have a problem driving the posted speed limits, I have a Jeep that I can loan to you!

MMc
Super Nomad

Mood: Current

[*] posted on 11-22-2017 at 07:08 PM

Gear, DK and I do Baja differently, He tends to drive and scout. I post up and stay in place for a week or more, both have there place. I don't know what your goals are, overland driving tends to be drive and post for a day or two than drive. I have friends that are in central America doing that now. I reason I see the landowners is I am there longer than a night.

I keep copies of my all my docs on the cloud, copies in the truck, with my personal stuff. If you need it and it's lost????

I prefer to see Baja from a micro level and less at a macro. I surf, fish, kayak while I am there, with walks and diving in the meantime. Most of Baja has roads going to fish camps or mines that are pretty good. If you go off road you will most likely be on your own, you will do just fine. There is usually firewood that you can find, but think about the environment. Most of us don't need a fire. If you are very remote and see light coming in from the ocean,put out your fire, you don't need the attention.

Baja is a safe place with some very bad guys playing around at times. If you put a target on yourself, somebody could pay attention to you.

[Edited on 11-23-2017 by MMc]

[Edited on 11-23-2017 by MMc]

"Never teach a pig to sing it frustrates you and annoys the pig" - W.C.Fields

David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 11-22-2017 at 07:19 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Paco Facullo  
David,

"I got tagged north of El Rosario on my last trip coming over a rise, cruising along not thinking I was faster than 60 (in a 50 zone). I was 66 (107 kph) per the radar gun... the cop was so nice, he let me see it work, I love Mexico! "

You left out an important part , How and where did you pay your ticket ?
Or did the Cop just give you a warning?

It is all in my last trip report. I just wanted to reassure our new Nomad it is not a scary ordeal.

Paco Facullo
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 11-22-2017 at 07:23 PM

One thing I want to emphasize is the roads.

Narrow two lanes and NO shoulders along with wicked pot holes.

Add BIG trucks & buses and it equals a serious reason to be vary cautious.

Do not speed TOO fast. Be careful and get there in one piece.
Enjoy the ride. It is beautiful.....
mtgoat666
Select Nomad

Mood: Hot n spicy

[*] posted on 11-22-2017 at 08:47 PM

How does it work there for making fires where you camp? are you allowed fully?
Are there generally enough fire making material on the beaches or you have to bring your own bundles of wood generally if you plan camp fires on beaches?
Can you buy bundles of wood at gas stations?

Stop asking questions, and just go!

Crikey, you snowflakes ask too many questions!. My first road trip to Mexico was done with no guide book, no Internet forums (it was before al gore invented the web), no cell phones, no Siri, no Google, we just drove with a map and figured it out! :P

FYI,...
it often blows like snot, so don’t count on fires being relaxing... :lol:
December days are short, nights are long, so bring books... :O
In North, cold rains start in December, and come every couple weeks, more or less, so bring rain gear... :(
Bring warm clothes, December is cold... you might find it warmer to go overlanding in the Mojave, Death Valley, etc... :light:

Woke!

“...ask not what your country can do for you – ask what you can do for your country.” “My fellow citizens of the world: ask not what America will do for you, but what together we can do for the freedom of man.”

Prefered gender pronoun: the royal we

Paco Facullo
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 11-22-2017 at 09:01 PM

The Goat makes a vary valid point.

The spirit of adventure has been downsized to a point of Ad nauseam .

With TOO MUCH information people tend to overthink any situation.

This looks to be one of them...
mtgoat666
Select Nomad

Mood: Hot n spicy

[*] posted on 11-22-2017 at 09:46 PM

Quote: Originally posted by David K  
Well, he may just want to cover all the bases. He has been fed so much anti-Mexico travel BS by fake news and friends who knew freinds who had a nephew that knew someone that was hassled by a cop in Cabo.

Fake news?
Cabo, La Paz and TJ are war zones.
Just this week there were 2 murders in GN.
Sounds pretty real to me.

Woke!

“...ask not what your country can do for you – ask what you can do for your country.” “My fellow citizens of the world: ask not what America will do for you, but what together we can do for the freedom of man.”

Prefered gender pronoun: the royal we

Pages:  1  2    4  5

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.