BajaNomad
Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1    3    5
Author: Subject: Baja 2017 Dec 19th - Jan 5th. Looking for partner Car or to join a caravan.
Paco Facullo
Super Nomad

Mood: Abiding ..........

[*] posted on 11-22-2017 at 09:51 PM

From an article from another thread,

"The first 20 days of November 2017:

72 people have been assassinated , 60 men and 12 women, all presumed to be tied to organized crime. These murders have primarily taken place in La Paz and San Jose del Cabo."

And NO tourists were harmed in the process.......

BUT back in the O'l USA the stats will scare the heck out of most..

DON'T go the Mexico, you'll get killed !!!!
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 11-22-2017 at 10:11 PM

We were talking about cops shaking down tourists for false traffic violations. What were you two reading???

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

mtgoat666
Select Nomad

Mood: Hot n spicy

[*] posted on 11-22-2017 at 10:47 PM

Quote: Originally posted by David K  
What were you two reading???

The news.

Woke!

“...ask not what your country can do for you – ask what you can do for your country.” “My fellow citizens of the world: ask not what America will do for you, but what together we can do for the freedom of man.”

Prefered gender pronoun: the royal we

mtgoat666
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 11-22-2017 at 11:40 PM

Quote: Originally posted by mtgoat666  
What were you two reading???

The news.

This place is called Baja Nomad.

Are you telling me that nomads should not read or mention the news? :?:

Woke!

“...ask not what your country can do for you – ask what you can do for your country.” “My fellow citizens of the world: ask not what America will do for you, but what together we can do for the freedom of man.”

mtgoat666
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 11-23-2017 at 08:17 AM

You brought up narco crime murders which had 0 to do with the question being discussed; about bad cops asking for bribes (which he may have heard on TV).

The OP mentioned several times his fears, worries about traveling in Mexico. I think his fears, worries are based on more than just stories of cops asking for bribes

Woke!

David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 11-23-2017 at 08:54 AM

You should read his (Vic's) post that asked the question and not just my replies, I am trying to relax him, not stress him more with narco-gang violence news you are bringing up.

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

wilderone
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 11-23-2017 at 10:12 AM

I camp in Baja California by myself and I'm a girl.
Most people who you want to caravan with will not be able to do so because they do not have a rig like yours that will be able to go where you want to go.
Do not camp anywhere between San Quintin and El Rosario (I'm talking about the coastline there). You do have a high profile vehicle and this is a drug running corridor.
The only wrinkle I see in your plan going solo and not having a lot of background on some of the routes to the coast, is that you might get stuck in deep sand, a flat or something of that nature, and you alone will need to get yourself unstuck. (One of those "what will I do if ...." scenarios).
Also, you say you have food for a month and no need to go into small towns, but you also need water.
Don't be paranoid or it will affect your trip. I do worry about my car whenever I go on a hike and it's out of sight, but 100% of the time nothing negative has occurred.
If you have the gizmos, you can always check in on this forum to ask questions along the way.
Don't be too hasty about finding only secluded, remote places - a lot of Baja charm is found on ranchos, villages, interacting with locals. Take a break from canned goods and enjoy the food.
The military checkpoints are for drugs and arms - most of the time they will not be asking to see immigration or vehicle documents.
If you're really worried, get a SPOT and check in daily with a couple people. Also, if you really need help, people on this forum will react.
TMW
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 11-23-2017 at 11:29 AM

I strongly recommend getting a Spot or InReach or even a satellite phone. Send out a signal at regular intervals to those that know where you are going. At least one or two people on your list should be familiar with Baja.
Ken Cooke
Elite Nomad

Mood: Black Trans Lives Matter

[*] posted on 11-23-2017 at 09:44 PM

I am in touch with several Mexican 4x4 clubs and it's members. If you have a vehicular breakdown of some kind, let me know and I can direct you to my contacts that I have established over the years. I also agree that a Spot or a Satellite Phone is a great idea.

GearIntoAdventure
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 11-24-2017 at 01:39 AM

Quote: Originally posted by MMc  
Gear, DK and I do Baja differently, He tends to drive and scout. I post up and stay in place for a week or more, both have there place. I don't know what your goals are, overland driving tends to be drive and post for a day or two than drive. I have friends that are in central America doing that now. I reason I see the landowners is I am there longer than a night.

I keep copies of my all my docs on the cloud, copies in the truck, with my personal stuff. If you need it and it's lost????

I prefer to see Baja from a micro level and less at a macro. I surf, fish, kayak while I am there, with walks and diving in the meantime. Most of Baja has roads going to fish camps or mines that are pretty good. If you go off road you will most likely be on your own, you will do just fine. There is usually firewood that you can find, but think about the environment. Most of us don't need a fire. If you are very remote and see light coming in from the ocean,put out your fire, you don't need the attention.

Baja is a safe place with some very bad guys playing around at times. If you put a target on yourself, somebody could pay attention to you.

[Edited on 11-23-2017 by MMc]

[Edited on 11-23-2017 by MMc]

thanks, noted about fires.
They way I overland is usually I just sleep a ta place, wake up, enjoy for few hours and keep on driving, offroading, shooting vids and flying drone when i'm not pressed with time to get somewhere in particular and just kind of triverse.....all day long somewhere. I like it. on my last 36 day overland trip (well first real overland trip) I only had 1 time stayed at a place for more than half a day on purpose. Other 2 days i was just camping because I was waiting for spare tire to arrive in shop in Moab before i could head out again coz i reaped one of the tires badly.

But for baja trip I didn't intended it to be very intense like my 30 offroad trails in 36 days across 3 states including crossing Mojave desert and crossing El Camino Del Diablo and doing Toroweap to Witmore to half done Kelly point in grand canyon.

So this time I do actually want to stick around on beaches and do some fishing.

Considering How i traveled those 36 days, I didn't have time for fire. It was more of arrive late, deploy, cook something up and watch a movie and sleep.
Also I didn't want to stink with fire considering I was taking showers only once a week as situation allowed when i had no people around for sure and could just shower out in the open.

So for camping trips I absolutely need campfires and no camping is camping without one but for overland journeys I can easily be without fire. In fact now that you made a point about light at night with fire or being also possibly seen from road a far... Maybe i shouldn't have have a fire when its dark.
GearIntoAdventure
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 11-24-2017 at 01:48 AM

Quote: Originally posted by GearIntoAdventure  
How does it work there for making fires where you camp? are you allowed fully?
Are there generally enough fire making material on the beaches or you have to bring your own bundles of wood generally if you plan camp fires on beaches?
Can you buy bundles of wood at gas stations?

Stop asking questions, and just go!

Crikey, you snowflakes ask too many questions!. My first road trip to Mexico was done with no guide book, no Internet forums (it was before al gore invented the web), no cell phones, no Siri, no Google, we just drove with a map and figured it out! :P

FYI,...
it often blows like snot, so don’t count on fires being relaxing... :lol:
December days are short, nights are long, so bring books... :O
In North, cold rains start in December, and come every couple weeks, more or less, so bring rain gear... :(
Bring warm clothes, December is cold... you might find it warmer to go overlanding in the Mojave, Death Valley, etc... :light:

eheh well my trip is still weeks away so i can ask questions :)
Thanks for tips on clothing but I kind of figured nights would be cold like any desert but at least days will be nice if no rain.
I tend to download lots of movies and tv series to catch up to in the evenings. Hard to focus on reading while beer sipping :)

Also I've been to mexico 9 times before. Just by plane and hotels.... Different kind of travel. It was always safe and I always loved mexican people and hospitality. But also those were hotel towns ina way, bubbles, cacoons of safety. I think 12 years ago on either my 2nd or 3rd trip I even went to mexican jail over night for a fight at a hotel that i didn't provoke. I'm peaceful guy and it takes effort to break my patience but when it does it does. But yah they let me go in the morning and i was back in the hotel. Mexican cells are cold and stinky :)

I'm just warred about the truck and attracting attention with it thats all. Before on my travels I didn't have a nice target on myself, I was just another dude walking around towns in peace and harmony.

Seems like on expedition portal I may have a tag along or tag to hookup with a couple on first couple of days. Will see if that solidifies. And on my facebook page a motorcycle guy seems to be interested to meet up in first days so will see if that turns out too.

GearIntoAdventure
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 11-24-2017 at 01:54 AM

You brought up narco crime murders which had 0 to do with the question being discussed; about bad cops asking for bribes (which he may have heard on TV).

The OP mentioned several times his fears, worries about traveling in Mexico. I think his fears, worries are based on more than just stories of cops asking for bribes

haha true. Cops asking for bribes is nothing REALLY to worry about in perspective.

Like i said in previous post. I've been to mexico 9 times before. I've been to other countries. I've driven a rental in costa rica.

I just never had my shiny damned rig in another country other than usa and that rig is all my savings now. It is my life and I'm worried for it and possibly some harm that may come because of it :) But well i'm starting to be at ease already.... reading you guys and other sources and also made up my mind and possibly going to hookup with couple of people. It will work out.

My own vehicle travel in developing country is just new thing for me and makes this type of travel very different from any travels from before.
GearIntoAdventure
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 11-24-2017 at 01:57 AM

Quote: Originally posted by TMW  
I strongly recommend getting a Spot or InReach or even a satellite phone. Send out a signal at regular intervals to those that know where you are going. At least one or two people on your list should be familiar with Baja.

I got one. In fact i used it in Lockhart canyon being stuck in muddy sand in UTAH just end of this september on my last 36 day offroady trip across 3 states.

However just 10 min before local deputies arrived on ATV, i managed to finally winch myself out onto a dry patch of land and turn around. Felt stupid after :)
Still about 14 hours pasted since i got stuck and i didn't think I would manage to get myself out after trying and trying before sun went out so i called in the SOS. at least i know this stuff works now :)
GearIntoAdventure
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 11-24-2017 at 02:08 AM

Quote: Originally posted by wilderone  
I camp in Baja California by myself and I'm a girl.
Most people who you want to caravan with will not be able to do so because they do not have a rig like yours that will be able to go where you want to go.
Do not camp anywhere between San Quintin and El Rosario (I'm talking about the coastline there). You do have a high profile vehicle and this is a drug running corridor.
The only wrinkle I see in your plan going solo and not having a lot of background on some of the routes to the coast, is that you might get stuck in deep sand, a flat or something of that nature, and you alone will need to get yourself unstuck. (One of those "what will I do if ...." scenarios).
Also, you say you have food for a month and no need to go into small towns, but you also need water.
Don't be paranoid or it will affect your trip. I do worry about my car whenever I go on a hike and it's out of sight, but 100% of the time nothing negative has occurred.
If you have the gizmos, you can always check in on this forum to ask questions along the way.
Don't be too hasty about finding only secluded, remote places - a lot of Baja charm is found on ranchos, villages, interacting with locals. Take a break from canned goods and enjoy the food.
The military checkpoints are for drugs and arms - most of the time they will not be asking to see immigration or vehicle documents.
If you're really worried, get a SPOT and check in daily with a couple people. Also, if you really need help, people on this forum will react.

Thanks for headsup on not camping between quintin and rosario. I've marked that stretch as no camp zone.

Yah i realize not all rigs may be wanting to go where i want to. Thats ok. Can hang out with people on a beach and stuff. Its all situational. Well Hopefully couple of potential tag along hookups will turn out and crystallize by the time of the trip.

There is always "what if" I've already been through some scary moments on my last 36 day trip and that kind of built up my guts a bit. Plus for this trip I'm waiting on shipment of land anchor just in case. Learned my mistakes already, will tread slowlier in future.

I got garmin inreach for remoteness but thats only good for text to phone or to facebook but I can't read what people write back on facebook. They need to upgrade that feature.

Well passing through towns for gas and water of course i wouldn't resist taking a snack in some restaruant or something to go :)

If you know any more locations on baja coast where I shouldn't camp let me know.

thanks
GearIntoAdventure
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 11-24-2017 at 02:11 AM

Quote: Originally posted by Ken Cooke  
I am in touch with several Mexican 4x4 clubs and it's members. If you have a vehicular breakdown of some kind, let me know and I can direct you to my contacts that I have established over the years. I also agree that a Spot or a Satellite Phone is a great idea.

Oh sweet. Its likely in most times i will only have connection through my inreach so can only send text msgs to civilization. My canadian roaming probably going to suck.
Maybe I could get your phone number for my inReach for just in case that breakdown happens?
Bob and Susan
Elite Nomad

Mood: Full Time Residents

[*] posted on 11-24-2017 at 12:17 PM

just so YOU know...

every Mexican has a cell phone

there is actually tv in just about every house

there is internet everywhere in baja

gas stations are ALL OVER the place

there are grocery stores everywhere

water is sold in bottles

fast food places

oxxo stores...like a 7-11

tire shops and mechanics

its not as deserted as you seem to believe

our website is:
http://www.mulege.org
mtgoat666
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 11-24-2017 at 03:36 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Bob and Susan  
just so YOU know...

every Mexican has a cell phone

there is actually tv in just about every house

there is internet everywhere in baja

gas stations are ALL OVER the place

there are grocery stores everywhere

water is sold in bottles

fast food places

oxxo stores...like a 7-11

tire shops and mechanics

its not as deserted as you seem to believe

I have yet to find any GOOD Thai or Indian food.

While very Mexican may have a mobile phone, not every Mexican has reception on their phone :light: :!:

While you are seemingly impressed with their being lots of Oxxos, the truth is that the food in oxxos is mostly junk food sugar and fat, and their coffee stinks.

Woke!

bajatrailrider
Super Nomad

Mood: Happy

[*] posted on 11-24-2017 at 04:00 PM

Quote: Originally posted by GearIntoAdventure  
Quote: Originally posted by Ken Cooke  

Oh sweet. Its likely in most times i will only have connection through my inreach so can only send text msgs to civilization. My canadian roaming probably going to suck.
Maybe I could get your phone number for my inReach for just in case that breakdown happens?
PM me I'm local able to help stranded off road people also know every trail for a hundred miles or more out of Ensenada.:)
Bob and Susan
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 11-24-2017 at 04:51 PM

While very Mexican may have a mobile phone, not every Mexican has reception on their phone...

the truth is that the food in oxxos is mostly junk food sugar and fat, and their coffee stinks.

phones work after payday...

oxxo has pretty good coffee...its brewed and they have milk for the coffee
coffee is good for roadtrips

our website is:
Bob and Susan
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 11-24-2017 at 04:54 PM

this guy is worried about his truck...

he should have seen the "chase trucks" last week
way more expensive and way better

if he gets the truck stolen it'll be in southern California not baja

he needs a travel companion like DavidK for his first trip

our website is:
 Pages:  1    3    5

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.