BajaNomad
Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  2    4  
Author: Subject: Baja 2017 Dec 19th - Jan 5th. Looking for partner Car or to join a caravan.
TMW
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 11-24-2017 at 05:02 PM

I had my truck stolen in Baja, Jakes restaurant in Rosarito. Stock chevy 4x4.
Bob and Susan
Elite Nomad

Mood: Full Time Residents

[*] posted on 11-24-2017 at 05:05 PM

I hope you had insurance

that's what its for

did you have a tracker...like ...on star

I wonder how many cars per hour are taken in the Los Angeles
area ...answer 60

you are the exception

our website is:
http://www.mulege.org
TMW
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 11-24-2017 at 05:25 PM

I had insurance. I also got the truck back a week later.
GearIntoAdventure
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 11-24-2017 at 10:56 PM

That insurance unfortunately would only cover me the truck both in canada or in baja. It wouldn't cover my second truck thats the prices of the first truck thats built on top of my truck :)

Nah I'm not worried about my truck being stolen if i leave it parked unless those guys are real pros. I'm worried about the truck being taken from me while present :)

I'm sure everything will be just fine.
Only second time like this is when I'm worried about a trip. First one was this august before 36 days of potentuals of being stuck in remoteness alone but I got through that and built some balls for that.
2nd I just some of that sketchiness about mexico while in my truck.
In all my other travels by plane in different countries I've never even bothered to worry about going to those places since I had nothing to loos really and blended in with crowds walking about.

I know for sure my cell will suck since even in USA in some locations it wasn't great. But again there is always garmin for communication so its fine.

This reminds me of me and my buddy worrying initially before me and him were putting up our steel bumpers and both were thinking what if those bumpers get stolen. Untill both of us went through the process and weight of those things and came to conclusion that there is no need for melting bolts and do other nonsense because the amount of effort it would take someone to take that bumper - they would rather just spend it to take the whole car :)
GearIntoAdventure
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 11-24-2017 at 11:10 PM

Could someone help me remember the name of some famous baja1000 restaurant/rancho somewhere out there in the middle of nowhere that serves as a good pitstop for drinks and has all the baja1000 swag and famous baja guy lives there and owns it. It's Mike's something I think.

EDIT:
Ah already found it. I knew I had it marked already. I was looking at google map on desktop and somehow half of my points of interest are always missing by on my phones i have eeverything. Its Mike's Sky Rancho

[Edited on 11-25-2017 by GearIntoAdventure]
mtgoat666
Select Nomad

Mood: Hot n spicy

[*] posted on 11-24-2017 at 11:34 PM

Quote: Originally posted by GearIntoAdventure  
Could someone help me remember the name of some famous baja1000 restaurant/rancho somewhere out there in the middle of nowhere that serves as a good pitstop for drinks and has all the baja1000 swag and famous baja guy lives there and owns it. It's Mike's something I think.

EDIT:
Ah already found it. I knew I had it marked already. I was looking at google map on desktop and somehow half of my points of interest are always missing by on my phones i have eeverything. Its Mike's Sky Rancho

Mike’s may be snowed-in by time you get there :lol: I thought you were coming to baja for warmth and sun.

Baja1000 Swag? It’s just a bunch of cheap advertising stickers.

[Edited on 11-25-2017 by mtgoat666]

Woke!

“...ask not what your country can do for you – ask what you can do for your country.” “My fellow citizens of the world: ask not what America will do for you, but what together we can do for the freedom of man.”

Prefered gender pronoun: the royal we

Hook
Elite Nomad

Mood: Inquisitive

[*] posted on 11-25-2017 at 07:10 AM

This is an enjoyable thread. I hope you can separate the seed from the chaff. Even the usual naysayers are making good points.

I have none, as I havent driven the highway below Santa Rosalia in many years. Even 15 years ago, the drive between Ensenada and San Quintin became a pain in the arse, and has apparently only gotten worse.

If there are persons, here, who can direct you through Calexico/Mexicali and down that side of the peninsula, I think you would be quicker getting into terrain that you would enjoy. Of course, the caravan possibilities are probably less, but this thread should have let you know that traveling alone is really not a big danger.

What US cell phone company is your Canadian cell phone allied with?

[Edited on 11-25-2017 by Hook]
wilderone
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 11-25-2017 at 08:27 AM

"the "chase trucks" last week
way more expensive and way better"
These people are usually travelling in groups. Remember the highway hijacking at gunpoint after a race a few years ago? Remember the shoot-out on Hwy 1 not that long go? The "pro" element is that he is able to get to places where the bad guys aren't; the "con" element is that he will stand out and it will be noticed that he is alone.
And not to raise alarm - just be aware of possible situations and avoid them. Maybe take some wasp spray just in case; I found a heavy big-rig tire wrench on the road once that I keep under the driver seat; alarms?; remote kill switch (is there such a thing); get VG insurance. Maybe lessen the worst-case scenario effect. That being said, I predict an awesome, trouble-free trip.
Paco Facullo
Super Nomad

Mood: Abiding ..........

[*] posted on 11-25-2017 at 08:38 AM

Another not to miss famous pit stop would be Coco's corner...
mtgoat666
Select Nomad

Mood: Hot n spicy

[*] posted on 11-25-2017 at 10:37 AM

Quote: Originally posted by Paco Facullo  
Another not to miss famous pit stop would be Coco's corner...

A dirty old man that leers at women and collects soiled womens underwear.
Never have understood the off-roader’s groupy-like attraction to that dirty old man.

Woke!

“...ask not what your country can do for you – ask what you can do for your country.” “My fellow citizens of the world: ask not what America will do for you, but what together we can do for the freedom of man.”

Prefered gender pronoun: the royal we

Paco Facullo
Super Nomad

Mood: Abiding ..........

[*] posted on 11-25-2017 at 01:45 PM

Regardless of anyone's viewpoint Coco's Corner has been around for 29 years .......
Way out, living alone in the dessert.

That has to stand for something.

Heck, don't cha think that if ANY guy was living THAT sort of life he would be a little off ?????

And for heaven's sake, he ain't hurt'n anyone.....
LukeJobbins
Nomad

[*] posted on 11-27-2017 at 03:01 AM

As someone who has run the course shortly after the races in years past, I can tell you the road is severely torn up and my lighter low geared jeep had a few troubles in some spots. With your heavy truck I would download the gps race course notes and pay attention to the silt spots and rocks they mention. A lot of the silt or sand spots cars get stuck in are traveling minimum 40mph so with your heavy truck going slower you would for sure get stuck. Usually easily bypassed with just a few yards off the side but it’s just a warning. Last time I checked the notes were free to download. And solo is always best down there in my opinion. If you have a decent knowledge of your truck, flat tire plugs and valve stems, air compressor, winch or tow rope, and a warm jacket and you like tacos, you will be just fine.
bajatrailrider
Super Nomad

Mood: Happy

[*] posted on 11-27-2017 at 08:48 AM

Best is to avoid all race routes in a heavy truck as no fun at 1 mph on slit rocks woops. Seek two tracks abandoned routes the locals know these routes. We even avoid race routes on our off road bikes best to explore new routes. I know many abandon routes contact me or David K as he knows many routes. We most always find nice routes by passing race track. As far as going off road solo after living here for years not a good choice for me.
GearIntoAdventure
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 11-27-2017 at 07:05 PM

Quote: Originally posted by mtgoat666  
Quote: Originally posted by GearIntoAdventure  

EDIT:

Mike’s may be snowed-in by time you get there :lol: I thought you were coming to baja for warmth and sun.

Baja1000 Swag? It’s just a bunch of cheap advertising stickers.

[Edited on 11-25-2017 by mtgoat666]

oh thats good to know there is actually snow out there. I thought its still nice and deserty but not snow. Maybe I will scratch that out then and stick to beaches
GearIntoAdventure
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 11-27-2017 at 07:10 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Hook  
This is an enjoyable thread. I hope you can separate the seed from the chaff. Even the usual naysayers are making good points.

I have none, as I havent driven the highway below Santa Rosalia in many years. Even 15 years ago, the drive between Ensenada and San Quintin became a pain in the arse, and has apparently only gotten worse.

If there are persons, here, who can direct you through Calexico/Mexicali and down that side of the peninsula, I think you would be quicker getting into terrain that you would enjoy. Of course, the caravan possibilities are probably less, but this thread should have let you know that traveling alone is really not a big danger.

What US cell phone company is your Canadian cell phone allied with?

[Edited on 11-25-2017 by Hook]

Yah I'm sure its not all that bad, especially checking out some vloggers on youtube lately. And chit does happen everywhere. Just gotta be a bit more vigilant. The only thing that makes this a bit tougher is the language barrier. But in all my travels to mexico before i never had a single worry and everything was fine.

I actually use a roaming company for my trips to usa and it works for mexico. Its special service for canadians with their sim card that gives canadians easy abroad access to usa and mexico but its definitely not pure verizon lets say.
It's alright but i had some places where i didn't have singnal while some people around me in states did have (their usa pure providers)
GearIntoAdventure
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 11-27-2017 at 07:15 PM

Quote: Originally posted by wilderone  
"the "chase trucks" last week
way more expensive and way better"
These people are usually travelling in groups. Remember the highway hijacking at gunpoint after a race a few years ago? Remember the shoot-out on Hwy 1 not that long go? The "pro" element is that he is able to get to places where the bad guys aren't; the "con" element is that he will stand out and it will be noticed that he is alone.
And not to raise alarm - just be aware of possible situations and avoid them. Maybe take some wasp spray just in case; I found a heavy big-rig tire wrench on the road once that I keep under the driver seat; alarms?; remote kill switch (is there such a thing); get VG insurance. Maybe lessen the worst-case scenario effect. That being said, I predict an awesome, trouble-free trip.

Yes I'm planning on bringing my bear spray just in case and my knife and to have it on my belt this time around when im out there. Well hopefully usa or mexico customs dont confiscate the bear spray. Ill hide it well somewhere in truck. But on way out of mexico I will throw it out so as not to complicate possible entry to usa later as im sure i will be searched coming back from mexico. I did get searched 3 times coming from mexico in the past by plane.
Maybe my russian last name gave some ideas...
Its gonna be great. There is mild chance still that my father may change his mind and join me on trip but very small chance. I keep convincing him but he is in 65s and well needs his creature comforts. I even told him ok fine every 2-3 days lets stop in hotel not just in boonies so you can have your showers and stuff but noooo...... :)
woody with a view
PITA Nomad

Mood: Everchangin'

[*] posted on 11-27-2017 at 07:19 PM

You dont need any self defense devices. As soon as you assault your attacker the rules change and you are guilty.

GearIntoAdventure
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 11-27-2017 at 07:27 PM

Quote: Originally posted by LukeJobbins  
As someone who has run the course shortly after the races in years past, I can tell you the road is severely torn up and my lighter low geared jeep had a few troubles in some spots. With your heavy truck I would download the gps race course notes and pay attention to the silt spots and rocks they mention. A lot of the silt or sand spots cars get stuck in are traveling minimum 40mph so with your heavy truck going slower you would for sure get stuck. Usually easily bypassed with just a few yards off the side but it’s just a warning. Last time I checked the notes were free to download. And solo is always best down there in my opinion. If you have a decent knowledge of your truck, flat tire plugs and valve stems, air compressor, winch or tow rope, and a warm jacket and you like tacos, you will be just fine.

Advice taken. But there is certain charm at crawling through boonies and some obstacles challenges. There aren't many offroad places out there that can last for 100s of miles with barely any civilization around and baja is still it. Chilling at the beaches is fine but for that I didn't need to build up my truck or continue building. You can hop any stock truck and just go.
My thing is offroading. Hopefully not too much challange but just enough. When its too much it just sucks in those moments but thats the stuff you remember later for a long long time. Some lessons learned from past trip so I;ll be more cariful.

On my last trip I've gone through 3 repairable tire punctures. 1 fully reaped tire. Snapped tire carrier bolt. a bent door slightly, a bent roofrack, lots of scratches :) Offroad i dont worry about so much. Plus in a week my land anchor will arrive and new set of tires from my current worn out ones.
https://youtu.be/66q3L41OwBk
del mar
Banned

Mood: lil' fuzzy

[*] posted on 11-27-2017 at 07:57 PM

cool video!:yes:
bajatrailrider
Super Nomad

Mood: Happy

[*] posted on 11-27-2017 at 07:57 PM

On snow at Mikes I can count on one finger how many times it snowed there. Nothing to worry about as not long lasting.
 Pages:  1  2    4  

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.