Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1    3
Author: Subject: San Ignacio to Mulege
leo_jb

[*] posted on 11-21-2017 at 10:07 AM
San Ignacio to Mulege

Taking a motorcycle trip to Baja in January with a few friends. We're all pretty decent riders with a fair amount of Baja experience, riding relatively small dual-sport bikes. I'm trying to put together an alternate route between San Ignacio and Mulege. Pieced one together using my 2017 Cartographia E-32 map, but I know enough not to rely on the map in out-of-the-way places. Anyone have any experience with the attached route? Or a recommended alternate?

Capture.JPG - 218kB
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 11-21-2017 at 10:44 AM

Please let us know how you do if you do go!
I was up at Mission Guadalupe, three months ago, and noted where that road meets the mission road. It was unsigned and only ranches nearby may use it. It is just 1/2 mile from the Las Tunas & San Ignacio junction to the mission driveway. It should be seen if places built in 1720 interest you! Here's more:https://www.bajabound.com/bajaadventures/bajatravel/mission_guadalupe.php

You might search Nomad for posts from 'TMW'. Here is a recent report on that road that goes via Rancho Las Tunas:
In May 2016: http://forums.bajanomad.com/viewthread.php?tid=83006

[Edited on 11-21-2017 by David K]

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

motoged
Elite Nomad

Mood: Gettin' Better

[*] posted on 11-21-2017 at 10:54 AM

A bunch of us did it 6 years ago....take lots of water and travel light....there were some ridge passes consisting of grapefruit/ basketball-sized rocks as well as flood ravaged arroyo roads that were wicked....

I say go for it....others will perhaps have more current intel...:coolup:

DT Bushpilot and I were on 690's....next time I would take the 450....wouldn't touch it on a KLR or similar weight bike....

Good road up top (2011):

[Edited on 11-21-2017 by motoged]

Don't believe everything you think....
woody with a view
PITA Nomad

Mood: Everchangin'

[*] posted on 11-21-2017 at 11:19 AM

Where’s the basketball’s Ged?

motoged
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 11-21-2017 at 11:34 AM

Woody,
I said that was the "good" road...:biggrin: the killer pass came after the pics above....

Too busy sweating and grunting on the hard parts....

It's not like fishing where you are lounging on a boat drinking beer and holding up some smelly fish you just caught by surprise thinking it was having another snack....:lol:

Do you have pics of the gnarliest wave you caught????

Huh....do ya????? :biggrin::saint:

Desertbull
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 11-21-2017 at 11:53 AM

We did it last January but from San Juanico-Ballena Rd towards Mulege and left DOWNHILL route near Mision Guadelupe ... 15 hours for 4 A riders in top physical condition on 450's ... the trail is not just gone but massive size boulders have come off the mountain and blocked several different canyons .. a lot of hike-a-moto and building some rock bridges to push motos across ... gnarly to say the least. We had the chase truck move from Mision Guadelupe turn and go to the other side at El Patrocinio and we still beat them there ... got to El Patracinio at 10 pm and onto San Ignacio. :O:O

1930796_1087967234581837_7929742043179780431_n.jpg - 106kB 1723480_1087967261248501_9160580334367129486_n.jpg - 152kB 1930796_1087967341248493_4766775908941614012_n.jpg - 157kB

DREAM IT! PLAN IT! LIVE IT!
mtgoat666
Select Nomad

Mood: Hot n spicy

[*] posted on 11-21-2017 at 12:00 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Desertbull  
We did it last January but from San Juanico-Ballena Rd towards Mulege and left DOWNHILL route near Mision Guadelupe ... 15 hours for 4 A riders in top physical condition on 450's ... the trail is not just gone but massive size boulders have come off the mountain and blocked several different canyons .. a lot of hike-a-moto and building some rock bridges to push motos across ... gnarly to say the least. We had the chase truck move from Mision Guadelupe turn and go to the other side at El Patrocinio and we still beat them there ... got to El Patracinio at 10 pm and onto San Ignacio. :O:O

Every picture is you guys flipping the bird.
Classy!

Thank you for confirming our prejudices about knuckledraggers :lol::lol:

Woke!

“...ask not what your country can do for you – ask what you can do for your country.” “My fellow citizens of the world: ask not what America will do for you, but what together we can do for the freedom of man.”

Prefered gender pronoun: the royal we

TMW
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 11-21-2017 at 12:09 PM

I had originally put together a route based on info that BajaBlanca got from the rancher at Las Tunas just west of the Mission Guadalupe ruins. According to the rancher only horses could get thru from his ranch to where the road is good.

Having said that, Cameron Steele has went thru on one of his motorcycle rides to Cabo, the one where the bikes fell out of the boat into the sea at Mulege. Also Desert Bull ran chase for 3 or 4 motorcycle guys a couple of years ago and posted some pictures here on Nomads where they got thru, pretty rough. They went thru at Rancho San Juan de la Pila and I believe the really rough part was from La Pila to Rancho San Marcos where they had to carry the bikes over rocks.

The route I wanted to follow went down to El Patrocino then east picking up BajaBlancas route at Los Patos and Santa Ana as shown on the almanac.

I'll look thru and see what I have. John M also had the route by BajaBlanca traced on the almanac. He may be able to post it.
TMW
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 11-21-2017 at 12:12 PM

I see Desert Bull already posted his trip info, thanks Tim.
motoged
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 11-21-2017 at 12:19 PM

Quote: Originally posted by mtgoat666  

Every picture is you guys flipping the bird.
Classy!

Thank you for confirming our prejudices about knuckledraggers :lol::lol:

Goat,
Don't take the finger personally....unless it fits :biggrin:

....for the inner crowd, it is the ADVRider salute....

TMW
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 11-21-2017 at 12:51 PM

Here is the route that BajaBlanca took to Rancho Las Tunas in 2014.

Her description of the route is at the top. Note this route bypasses Rancho San Juan de la Pila. I think it would be easier to go to El Patrocino then east and pick up her route. I believe they were visiting ranches as they went along and that is why they started where they did. She can better answer that.

woody with a view
PITA Nomad

[*] posted on 11-21-2017 at 12:58 PM

Quote: Originally posted by motoged  
Woody,

Funny you should ask!
http://s1250.photobucket.com/user/MasOlas/media/Salsi312-10-...

TMW
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 11-21-2017 at 01:02 PM

Here is a Google Earth image of the area she mentions of a pass. R. San Marcos would be somewhere between Jct RR and J-5.

[Edited on 11-21-2017 by TMW]
motoged
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 11-21-2017 at 02:35 PM

Quote: Originally posted by woody with a view  
Quote: Originally posted by motoged  
Woody,

Funny you should ask!
http://s1250.photobucket.com/user/MasOlas/media/Salsi312-10-...

No pic....pay yer bills....:coolup:

woody with a view
PITA Nomad

[*] posted on 11-21-2017 at 03:12 PM

I’m the ant! Only guy in the water @ Salsipuedes 1983 or 84. The shark wouldnt bite and the bee wouldnt sting.

9EC6C9AF-88EE-4D7F-83B2-A798F69282B1.jpeg - 72kB

4x4abc
Ultra Nomad

Mood: happy - always

[*] posted on 11-21-2017 at 03:44 PM

Quote: Originally posted by TMW  
Here is a Google Earth image of the area she mentions of a pass. R. San Marcos would be somewhere between Jct RR and J-5.

Tom,

what you have marked as San Pedro is actually San marcos

Harald Pietschmann
BajaBlanca
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 11-21-2017 at 03:51 PM

Desertbull -those pics make my stomach turn! Those are some nasty boulders.

Our trip was amazing and scary and if you want a guide, my student Alexis with his family is heading out there sometime like Dec. 20th - one day after my xmas party for the college scholarship kids which he is coming to.

Come visit La Bocana

https://sites.google.com/view/bajabocanahotel/home

And always remember, life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by those moments that take our breath away.
BajaBlanca
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 11-21-2017 at 03:53 PM

Alexis's family lives at Las Tunas, the last or almost last rancho.

Come visit La Bocana

https://sites.google.com/view/bajabocanahotel/home

And always remember, life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by those moments that take our breath away.
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 11-21-2017 at 05:36 PM

The boulders in Tim's photos is the road between Guadalupe and San José de Magdalena. That was the 'good' road to the mission before the storms of 2014 or so took it out.

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

TMW
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 11-21-2017 at 07:58 PM

Quote: Originally posted by 4x4abc  
Quote: Originally posted by TMW  

Tom,

what you have marked as San Pedro is actually San marcos

Thanks Harald, when I did that image I think I was following the almanac and GE and trying to match the ranches along the way. I would like to do that route just to see it and what the bad area past R. Las Tunas looks like now.

Three or four years ago Rudy and a few of us went to San Juan de la Pila and stayed the night. The couple there were very friendly and the man took us to see the paintings in two locations. He said there was more to see but we were limited in time. The road past their place was wiped out a couple of years before we went there.
 Pages:  1    3

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.