Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  2  
Author: Subject: San Ignacio to Mulege
MulegeAL
Nomad

[*] posted on 11-21-2017 at 08:18 PM

I hope to check out the "southerly" route east from El Datil this winter.
Will update assuming I come back alive. May need a co-rider, not really any one else here in Mulege crazy enough to go try these blown out pasos anymore, 'cept me.
BajaBlanca
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 11-22-2017 at 08:17 AM

Go with Alexis and his family. If you want to coordinate, I can get details on when they are heading over. I am pretty sure it will be the 20th Dec. or next day.

Come visit La Bocana

https://sites.google.com/view/bajabocanahotel/home

And always remember, life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by those moments that take our breath away.
Desertbull
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 11-22-2017 at 08:50 AM

Ya Baja Blanca, we used to drive trucks through all those roads before that massive storm wiped it all out, we always brought goodies (food, drinks, tools, leather, kitchen utensils, etc. for the ranches, I've had some of my most amazing nights camped with families sharing everything we had in our trucks with them. Truly the most amazing people I've met are the families in the backcountry. luv luv luv

DREAM IT! PLAN IT! LIVE IT!
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 11-22-2017 at 08:53 AM

Quote: Originally posted by Desertbull  
Ya Baja Blanca, we used to drive trucks through all those roads before that massive storm wiped it all out, we always brought goodies (food, drinks, tools, leather, kitchen utensils, etc. for the ranches, I've had some of my most amazing nights camped with families sharing everything we had in our trucks with them. Truly the most amazing people I've met are the families in the backcountry. luv luv luv

So very cool!

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

PaulW
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 11-22-2017 at 10:29 AM

Yup. Back in the day we drove an F350 with camper following that general route. Even then it was a very big deal. Barely passable. Had a nice visit with a local rancher along the way.
motoged
Elite Nomad

Mood: Gettin' Better

[*] posted on 11-22-2017 at 11:34 AM

Quote: Originally posted by MulegeAL  
I hope to check out the "southerly" route east from El Datil this winter.
Will update assuming I come back alive. May need a co-rider, not really any one else here in Mulege crazy enough to go try these blown out pasos anymore, 'cept me.

Hola, Al....

I am weathering the frozen wastelands up north this winter....but hope to be down next year with my 450 for several months....Dec-Feb.

If you survive your scouting this year, I would do some exploring with you....

Day rides or a loop? :cool:

Don't believe everything you think....
MulegeAL
Nomad

[*] posted on 11-23-2017 at 09:35 AM

BB, thanks for the info, it will be decided by the calendar next month as I'm pretty sure I'll be crossing back in on the 16th or 17th with a big slow load in tow. But my moto stuff is staged and ready: lube thy chain, load and go.

Given schedule, timing, communication hassles, may be best for me to try east to west over the pass at mission guadelupe, I haven't done that climb for a couple of hurricanes, roll a few rocks out of the way. And meet up there somewhere, double back to Mulege. I think the worst of it is east of El Datil, was really tough to ride through there. Locals stopped driving the pass road after storm Paul, I only see mule/burro tracks now.

September storm did the area no favors whatsoever, some ranchers just N/NE of there are bailing because the roads are so bad, gas mucho pesos, hard to make a living, kids don't want to live there when they grow up, etc.

Ged,
I thought global warming had eased your situation by now! Bring a light bike with sticky tires for our blown out paso punishment rides down here!
captain.olives

[*] posted on 11-23-2017 at 11:17 AM

Thanks Bajabull, Bajablanca and everyone else for the great info. Leo, I am sure you are thinking the same as I right now. If it took some young A guys on 450s as long as it did to make it through, I think we should route even our younger fast guys down through Arroyo San Raymundo. I know I am not attempting that with bags strapped to my bike if I have to ride the rest of the week.

There is fun and a challenge, then there is trip killing energy drain days even if we could make it before dark (doubtful as we are older and moving slower than young guys like BajaBull). Maybe we head up to San Marcos from Mulege on the rest day to check it out.

Are any of the paths SE of El Patrocino rideable all the way to San Jose de Gracia? Thinking of alternative fun routes for average experienced riders From San Ignacio over the mesas to Arroyo San Raymundo (La Balena - Muluge route). Something more challenging than the high road to Scorpion Bay.

Al and others, come have a beer or two with us in Mulege. Just walk up to anyone and tell them CJ said you would buy me a beer. Thanks for everyones input thus far.

TMW
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 11-23-2017 at 12:04 PM

In 2010 and 2012 during the Baja 1000 SCORE ran a section from just north of El Patrocino to Rancho El Cuarenta. I ran it in my GMC and I think it follows along Arroyo el Quemado as shown in the almanac.

Here is a Google Earth image with the 2017 1000 on the left and the 2010 1000 in the middle. The right yellow line is a route I traced on GE from San Jose de Gracia to El Patrocino and on to the hwy.

motoged
Elite Nomad

Mood: Gettin' Better

[*] posted on 11-23-2017 at 12:22 PM

Ged,
I thought global warming had eased your situation by now! Bring a light bike with sticky tires for our blown out paso punishment rides down here!

Al,
I use double-sided Gorilla tape for back tire for Guadalupe Canyon type terrain.....will you have your drone pilot along to make sure the events are kept for posterity

Global warming just hit here today....11' C. here today....so I am out on the 690 for a ride before the second wave of snowstorms are upon us.....the Pineapple Express is bringing Hawaiian warmth and moisture up this way....

Have a Stinky Burger for me at El Candil.....and say hello to Richard (Willy Airstream) when you can.

Don't believe everything you think....
MulegeAL
Nomad

[*] posted on 11-23-2017 at 01:33 PM

CaptO, sounds good! La Ballena east to Mulege is still there, expect 30+ miles of rock and sand on the west end, and water in the vados. From therein is just bad road.

I may get only one chance to scam my drone driver into the mission area, doubtful for the drop in to the blown out pass towards San Jose de M. That has become a real tough out, with 50/50 chance of back!

[Edited on 11-23-2017 by MulegeAL]
leo_jb

[*] posted on 11-24-2017 at 04:17 PM

Quote: Originally posted by BajaBlanca  
Go with Alexis and his family. If you want to coordinate, I can get details on when they are heading over. I am pretty sure it will be the 20th Dec. or next day.

When are you planning on this? We will be riding the week of January 28.
leo_jb

[*] posted on 11-24-2017 at 04:43 PM

CaptO, sounds good! La Ballena east to Mulege is still there, expect 30+ miles of rock and sand on the west end, and water in the vados. From therein is just bad road.

I may get only one chance to scam my drone driver into the mission area, doubtful for the drop in to the blown out pass towards San Jose de M. That has become a real tough out, with 50/50 chance of back!

[Edited on 11-23-2017 by MulegeAL]

Sounds like this is the route you are referring to (lower route in magenta)? You think it is still doable?

La Ballena-2.jpg - 233kB

[Edited on 11-24-2017 by leo_jb]
leo_jb

[*] posted on 11-24-2017 at 04:57 PM

Belay that. Just realized that is more or less our "usual" route from Mulege to Scorpion Bay.
leo_jb

[*] posted on 11-24-2017 at 06:52 PM

We did it last January but from San Juanico-Ballena Rd towards Mulege and left DOWNHILL route near Mision Guadelupe ... 15 hours for 4 A riders in top physical condition on 450's ... the trail is not just gone but massive size boulders have come off the mountain and blocked several different canyons .. a lot of hike-a-moto and building some rock bridges to push motos across ... gnarly to say the least. We had the chase truck move from Mision Guadelupe turn and go to the other side at El Patrocinio and we still beat them there ... got to El Patracinio at 10 pm and onto San Ignacio. :O:O

DesertBull - sounds like I wouldn't want to retrace your route, but I can't figure out which way you went. Did you head north at Aguajito and try to connect around San juan de la Pila? E32 doesn't even show that road going through (Green route on attached)

aguajito.JPG - 146kB
MulegeAL
Nomad

[*] posted on 11-24-2017 at 07:54 PM

leo, correcto mundo on usual route, is OK.

PS: I tried to connect south from El Datil area to your green line route in '04 (5 or 6 hurricanes ago) and it was no go.

I think the only fighting chance is through El Datil, the box canyon above it, and whatever lies beyond that DesertBull hammered through on. Needs more daylight than December allows up there.

And I just want to add: motos make possible trips into these places and spaces that are next to impossible with any other form of mechanized travel.

It is not just the rugged challenging terrain that attracts, it is the amazing people who live in these remote areas, who are so generous with what little they have, and have been so good and friendly towards me and my travelling pals.

It is a vanishing way of life that I am lucky to be a small transient part of of. It is those amazing people that motivate me to return to these very remote ranchos, where almost nobody speaks any English, yet we seem to get along fine.

And that is why I will keep busting my butt to get in there, even if its for a short while, though I have seen them almost in tears when I said I must return to town and cannot stay the night. Remotest baja is still amazing, for a while longer.

[Edited on 11-25-2017 by MulegeAL]
Tomas Tierra
Super Nomad

Mood: Tengo Flojera

[*] posted on 11-25-2017 at 09:10 PM

Awesome!!!!!!!
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 11-26-2017 at 01:55 PM

Bump for Dmitriy.

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

leo_jb

[*] posted on 11-28-2017 at 06:22 PM

How about this one? SE out of San Ignacio to Santa Cruz, then NE through El Tajo and Los Brules to Hwy 1 just south of Santa Rosalia. Anyone have any current knowledge about this route?

Santa Cruz.JPG - 85kB
gueribo
Nomad

[*] posted on 3-6-2018 at 09:16 AM

I'm a bit late to the thread . . . curious if there have been any repairs to the road from San José de Magdalena to Mission Guadalupe. A friend will be traveling down this spring and hopes to do (what we call) the "Guadalupe Loop" (Mulegé to San Estanislao to Ex-Mission Guadalupe to San José de Magdalena and back to Hwy 1). Sounds like it may still be washed out.

There are so many beautiful places in Baja, but that wild winding stretch between Mission Guadalupe and San José de Magdalena ranks among my favorites. The terrain is rugged and beautiful--the canyons and wild fig...

DSC06843_2.jpg - 238kB
 Pages:  1  2  

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.