Printable Version  
 Pages:  1    3  
Author: Subject: the Dollar Dilema at banks
Bob and Susan
Elite Nomad

Mood: Full Time Residents

[*] posted on 11-25-2017 at 12:40 PM

Quote: Originally posted by motoged  

...I think it is selfish and a bit arrogant to expect their own national currency to be readily accepted abroad for food, rooms, etc...

actually the BIG hotels in TJ like the hayatt and marriott
quote rate in dollars for stability

they convert to pesos if you want to pay cash
(float the peso rate)

It the ONLY way to stabilize costs because the peso is changing so fast...up and down

so the dollar acceptance will always stay the same as long as the client wants it to

our website is:
http://www.mulege.org
redmesa
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 11-25-2017 at 01:20 PM

Shari, how about ScotiaBank. They must be somehow related. I think I will go in and check here about that and may get an account here with them if they promise that my card will always work in Baja.
redmesa
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 11-25-2017 at 01:22 PM

Also, it is interesting that Bancomer has U.S. banks so????
Bob and Susan
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 11-25-2017 at 01:45 PM

Quote: Originally posted by redmesa  
...go in and check here about that and may get an account here with them if they promise that my card will always work in Baja.

get it in writing!!! : )

our website is:
Bob and Susan
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 11-25-2017 at 01:47 PM

Also, it is interesting that Bancomer has U.S. banks so????

BancomerUSA and BancomerMX are 2 entirely different companies

International Rules apply when transfering money and using a bank card

our website is:
motoged
Elite Nomad

Mood: Gettin' Better

[*] posted on 11-25-2017 at 02:59 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Bob and Susan  
Quote: Originally posted by motoged  

...I think it is selfish and a bit arrogant to expect their own national currency to be readily accepted abroad for food, rooms, etc...

actually the BIG hotels in TJ like the hayatt and marriott
quote rate in dollars for stability

they convert to pesos if you want to pay cash
(float the peso rate)

It the ONLY way to stabilize costs because the peso is changing so fast...up and down

so the dollar acceptance will always stay the same as long as the client wants it to

I guess I am a bumpkin who travels Baja via smaller Mexican hotels and motels....with an occasional B&B....pesos in hand for most of them...and US$ for the occasional place...and have never used credit cards....yet ;)

Don't believe everything you think....
AKgringo
Elite Nomad

Mood: Retireded

[*] posted on 11-25-2017 at 03:26 PM

Ged...are you saying nobody wants your Canadian dollars? :biggrin:

After my difficulty recharging my cash supply in Mulege and Loreto last year, I started using my credit cards where they would take them. That included a few Pemex stations, and even my dentist in La Paz was happy to run plastic rather than have cash on hand.

Edit, That wasn't meant as a snarky shot at Canada, it is one friend razing another. At least I hope we are still friends!

[Edited on 11-25-2017 by AKgringo]

If you are not living on the edge, you are taking up too much space!

"Could do better if he tried!" Report card comments from most of my grade school teachers. Sadly, still true!
surabi
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 11-25-2017 at 06:37 PM

Shari, how about ScotiaBank. They must be somehow related. I think I will go in and check here about that and may get an account here with them if they promise that my card will always work in Baja.

I have a Scotiabank acct. in Canada and my card always works in the Mexican Scotiabank machines. Additionally there is no ATM fee if you keep the minimum balance in your acct or have a seniors acct.
But the banks are separate entities. If you lost your Can. Scotiabank card, for instance, you couldn't go in to a Mexican Scotiabank and get a replacement. And you can't go into a Scotiabank here and deposit Can.or US dollars into your Can.acct.
shari
Select Nomad

Mood: there is no reality except the one contained within us "Herman Hesse"

[*] posted on 11-25-2017 at 07:50 PM

I asked at our local telegraph office which also serves as a sort of bank and they said the bank that works the very best here for making deposits and withdrawals is Santander..go figure.

I could open an account in Ensenada but then when things go awry they always say you have to go in person to the branch which is problematic as it is 10 hours away...geeze.

for info & pics of our little paradise & whale watching info
http://www.bahiaasuncion.com/
https://www.whalemagictours.com/
woody with a view
PITA Nomad

Mood: Everchangin'

[*] posted on 11-25-2017 at 07:58 PM

Shari why cant you add your daughter to that account just for those instances?

bledito
Nomad

[*] posted on 11-26-2017 at 04:53 PM

one would think it would be made easier to bank in mexico for tourist reasons alone. I had such problems when I was on the east cape building my home. I had to use my debit card at the local hotel when they had the atm full because it would not work at the local banks. I even had to drive the 1 1/2 hour round trip to san jose a couple of time just to be able to pay for the workers wages.

Bob and Susan
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 11-26-2017 at 05:17 PM

tourists don't build homes...they vacation

you could always do an international bank transfer
for funds to build but it costs $$$

to pay workers you can pay directly to their bank account...
that's actually perfered by the government

if they don't have a bank account you have them open one

the rule is anything over 2000 pesos should be paid by a bank card ...

[Edited on 11-27-2017 by Bob and Susan]

our website is:
joerover
Banned

Mood: sleepy

[*] posted on 11-26-2017 at 07:41 PM

Quote: Originally posted by JoeJustJoe  
Quote: Originally posted by joerover  
Quote: Originally posted by surabi  

When she asked the bank how she could transfer $ from her account here to her Canadian bank, they told her it wasn't possible. And there were so many convolutions for her to get the money from Santander to her Paypal acct, that she just gave up.

She HATED dealing with Santander and they certainly didin't operate like a "best true bank".

In Ensenada I found an external device on the atm machine, a card reader that belonged to an electronic bandido. I pointed it out to the police man standing on the malecon. He did not care or understand. The bandido followed me around the corner and asked what the policeman said? He dont care. They made the paper, good heist over a holiday weekend. Both Ensenada and Tijuana police have been caught recording credit card numbers, and making bank transfers to them. A nice girl in Tijuana will help you figure out your paypal and on line banking. She types english better than I do. She will transfer $500 to your paypál acount if you give her $250 right now. not sure why her account name is blueeyes, hers are brown. She made a $500 a week living for 3 or more years like this. The deported english teacher was working for the Ensenada police, making electronic transfers of your money to the police mans bank account. That is until the Tecate pólice shot him, for growing to many hecters of marijuana to close to their 300 acre field.

How easy do you want it to be to transfer your money?

Have you been drinking?

I did take a drink, on new years eve. I spent less than $20 on alcohol in the last 10 years.

Quote: Originally posted by Paco Facullo  
I refuse to link my bank account with PayPal.
The guy that bought my business had his account linked and ended up getting robbed fro $7,000 . He tried to get it back but never did.
Be careful out the folks.

Also, many years ago I lost $1650 from and ATM card skimmer in Colombia.
I stupidly used a lone standing ATM machine. Never again.
Will ONLY use ATM's at Banks or ones much used at muskets.
I always PULL on the place your card is inserted hard and hide my hand when putting in my pin.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WKnYbaQddBE

[Edited on 11-27-2017 by joerover]

the fat lady is breeding
which means
The fat ladys are breeding
bledito
Nomad

[*] posted on 11-27-2017 at 07:29 AM

yes when in usa I wire money direct to his account but I needed to be in usa to do so
Hook
Elite Nomad

Mood: Inquisitive

[*] posted on 11-27-2017 at 07:48 AM

I have lots of Canadian friends in the town I live in and some of them have problems banking in Mexico, compared to US citizens.

Maybe the biggest (as they explain it to me) is that they cant buy stuff online from US companies (like Amazon, fer chrissakes, who can live w/o Amazon these days!) with their Canadian Bank-issued credit cards. They aren't able to guarantee their Netflix accounts with a Canadian credit card. I just dont get that. Another Patriot Act fiasco?

Who wouldn't trust a Canadian, financially? They are the most frugal, debt-avoiding people I know.
surabi
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 11-27-2017 at 10:52 AM

Quote: Originally posted by bledito  
yes when in usa I wire money direct to his account but I needed to be in usa to do so

There are many online currency exchange houses that you can sign up with (xetrade, transferwise, xoom, to name a few). It then is easy to transfer $ from your bank acct. to one in a foreign country and you can be anywhere to do it. Funds are transferred by electronic funds transfer, so there is no wire fee. The companies make their $ on the exchange rate.
JoeJustJoe
Banned

Mood: Mad as hell

[*] posted on 11-27-2017 at 12:56 PM

This thread is another reason why cryptocurrencies, like "Bitcoin" will be the future and international borders won't interrupt merchant or user transactions and "Bitcoin" are a great investment, up about 800 percent this year!

woody with a view
PITA Nomad

Mood: Everchangin'

[*] posted on 11-27-2017 at 02:03 PM

Yep, i got on the LTC, IOTA, NEO and ETH altcoin bandwagon in Sept. sort of late but when 98% of humanity still has no idea what the tech actually is it’s still in its infancy.

Udo
Elite Nomad

Mood: TEQUILA!

[*] posted on 11-27-2017 at 03:57 PM

TRY USING A BIT COIN IN BAJA:lol:

Quote: Originally posted by JoeJustJoe  
This thread is another reason why cryptocurrencies, like "Bitcoin" will be the future and international borders won't interrupt merchant or user transactions and "Bitcoin" are a great investment, up about 800 percent this year!

Udo

Youth is wasted on the young!

micah202
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 11-27-2017 at 06:48 PM

Quote: Originally posted by AKgringo  
If I am able to get my crippled car on the road soon, I will definitely be stashing more pesos somewhere in it (and hope I remember where)!

...well be careful the car isn't stolen.
..I'll just say I was very very lucky when my van was swiped in TJ a few years back.

It's rather unbelievable what I'm hearing,,, really!?
Mex cash ONLY!? No Foreign exchange!!?? :wow:

...sooo,,
...every Gringo car has a WAD of cash somewhere!?... what could possibly go wrong!!?? :o:O

[Edited on 11-28-2017 by micah202]
 Pages:  1    3  

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.