Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  2    4
Author: Subject: the Dollar Dilema at banks
micah202
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 11-27-2017 at 07:07 PM

Quote: Originally posted by JZ  

If you use WF you can pretty much use it anywhere to take out money, except Bancomer.

....and what is this 'WF' you speak of?? :?:

micah202
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 11-27-2017 at 07:14 PM

Quote: Originally posted by motoged  
Aside from ATM, CC, and account issues, it seems that the simplest solution is for travelers to travel with sufficient funds in the currency of the country in which they are traveling :light:

Expats living abroad need to figure out the rest of it for their needs.

I think it is selfish and a bit arrogant to expect their own national currency to be readily accepted abroad for food, rooms, etc.

A "When in Rome" kinda thing...

I don't know about Rome,lol.... but in Turkey and Morocco these days,, it is totally customary to be able to withdraw funds from a bank using a credit card,, as it is to exchange any currency,, both Canada and US was totally acceptable. ......it sounds like you think carrying large amounts of cash is a good idea? ....for whom!? ;D

motoged
Elite Nomad

Mood: Gettin' Better

[*] posted on 11-27-2017 at 07:57 PM

Quote: Originally posted by micah202  
Quote: Originally posted by motoged  
Aside from ATM, CC, and account issues, it seems that the simplest solution is for travelers to travel with sufficient funds in the currency of the country in which they are traveling :light:

Expats living abroad need to figure out the rest of it for their needs.

I think it is selfish and a bit arrogant to expect their own national currency to be readily accepted abroad for food, rooms, etc.

A "When in Rome" kinda thing...

I don't know about Rome,lol.... but in Turkey and Morocco these days,, it is totally customary to be able to withdraw funds from a bank using a credit card,, as it is to exchange any currency,, both Canada and US was totally acceptable. ......it sounds like you think carrying large amounts of cash is a good idea? ....for whom!? ;D .

ME :biggrin:

Don't believe everything you think....
Doug/Vamonos
Nomad

Mood: Muy Pacifico

[*] posted on 11-29-2017 at 09:48 AM

I returned Sunday from Bahia. On the way down on November 17 I used the Santander ATM in front of Home Depot/Walmart in Ensenada and did two withdrawals of 4,600 pesos each. I looked at my bank account when I returned and the charges were $242.96 plus $4.37 for transfer fee and $1.00 for ATM fee for each withdrawal. So my total cost for 4,600 pesos was $248.33, which converts to 18.52. My credit union is SchoolsFirst. The exchange rate that day was 18.91.
micah202
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 11-29-2017 at 03:27 PM

....summary?

..Just bring Peso's,, cash machine's and banks can't be relied on!?
bkbend
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 11-29-2017 at 05:14 PM

Four pages should get you your own conclusion but here's my take-away.

US Dollars are becoming an issue for banks, they won't convert to pesos for tourists and they won't accept them for deposits from Mexican businesses. I don't know if that applies a looney.

Businesses off the Mex 1 corridor have unreliable internet connections, therefore have hit/miss credit card transactions.

ATM machines are very good at dispensing pesos from foreign accounts but sometimes don't work, have low limits, or eat cards.

Currency houses on both sides of the border, as well as your local bank, will exchange local currency for pesos.

Cash in pesos always works. whether you use an ATM or exchange at your bank or a currency exchange house at the border is the decision you will need to make.

(edit for typos)

[Edited on 11-30-2017 by bkbend]

[Edited on 11-30-2017 by bkbend]
KurtG
Super Nomad

Mood: Press On Regardless!!

[*] posted on 11-29-2017 at 05:42 PM

My recent experience. I just spent two weeks motorcycling, went as far south as Loreto. While I carry emergency cash I use ATM's regularly. I have never had a problem with Banamex or HSBC both of which I used on this trip. I also had no problem with Bancomer in Loreto where I took out 6,000 pesos. Did not need it in Mulege where there were problems last year. My local bank (Pacific Premier) does not charge me for out of network or international use and also rebates me for the Mexican ATM fees which means I get a consistently pretty good exchange rate. I've been using Mexican ATM's pretty much as long as they have existed and with the exception of Bancomer haven't had problems. Maybe just lucky.
joerover
Banned

Mood: sleepy

[*] posted on 11-29-2017 at 07:58 PM

Quote: Originally posted by bkbend  

Cash in pesos always works. whether you use an ATM or exchange at your bank or a currency exchange house at the border is the decision you will need to make.
]

Quote: Originally posted by micah202  
[
...sooo,,
...every Gringo car has a WAD of cash somewhere!?... what could possibly go wrong!!?? :o:O
]

better get the card figured out

the fat lady is breeding
which means
The fat ladys are breeding
 Pages:  1  2    4

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.