BajaNomad
Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
Author: Subject: What's better..BOLA or Mulege?
datgringo

question.gif posted on 2-23-2005 at 05:53 PM
What's better..BOLA or Mulege?

If you had to decide on where to camp between these two areas, where would you pick(Mulege or Bahia de Los Angeles). I have time to visit one of the spots but, not enough to see both. Pros or cons of both places would help me a great deal. Thanks in advance.......:cool:
Packoderm
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 2-23-2005 at 06:13 PM

Maybe you can tell us more about what type of trip you want, what you are driving, what kind of place do you want to stay in, (car camping, palapa camping, cabin, or hotel) and how much time you have for your trip. Mulege seems more exotic and more scenic, but it is quite a ways further than BdLA.

David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 2-23-2005 at 06:23 PM

Ditto to what Packoderm said...

Mulege is another half day (4hrs) or more drive south. L.A. Bay is a full day's drive (8-9 hrs.) from the border.

They both are great areas... Mulege is more touristy/tropical and L.A. Bay is more camping/desert. Both have motels and campgrounds. L.A. Bay has open camping places. Both have great food.

[Edited on 2-24-2005 by David K]

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

tim40
Senior Nomad

Mood: There yet?

[*] posted on 2-23-2005 at 07:56 PM

David, please call me before you make your next trip between BLA and Mulege. If you can make it in 4 hours, I either want to be driving with you or hiding under my bed at home.:biggrin:

First trip? BLA is my opinion as I think it is more the stereotypical Baja in most folks mind.

When searching for the end of your rainbow you only have until dusk....
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 2-23-2005 at 10:50 PM

I am sure 12-13 driving hours from the border to Mulege is not hard to do. I drove from Punta Banda to Santispac in one long day that included meals, a sidetrip to El Tomatal and San Ignacio's plaza.

:yes::?::light::D

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

Bruce R Leech
Elite Nomad

Mood: A lot cooler than Mulege

[*] posted on 2-24-2005 at 07:23 AM

you wont appreciate Mulege unless you check out other places.

Bruce R Leech
Ensenada

lewm
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 2-24-2005 at 09:46 AM

I have always preferred BOLA for its great small boat fishing [ i use an inflatable] yellowtail in the spring. Dorado & tuna in the summer, but it can get windy there. Mulege is a picture postcard with a river, date palms, Hotel Serenidad & airstrip. Concepcion Bay for camping. I think back to the mid 70's when there was only one check point below Ensenada & very little traffic the rest of the way. You could really make some time then.

mua
datgringo

[*] posted on 2-25-2005 at 11:12 PM
thanks everyone

I will be driving a van. I have 5 days. I plan on camping but, I don't mind staying in hotels. There are a total of six of us going. A good friend of mine is from TJ so the language won't be a problem(I'm originally from Michigan). We plan on leaving San Diego on March 18. I basically just want to know the pros and cons of both places(are they both safe?). Is Mulege more scenic? Is it worth the extra driving time? I plan on visiting both places over time. For now I would like to see the most scenic place. Also I love to try kayaking in either place. Any replys would be very appreciated.:spingrin:
tim40
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 2-25-2005 at 11:41 PM

It is like most of us would share with you..."scenic" is in the eye of the traveler. BLA. Very small water, oriented desert, primarily camping (although there is hotels) location. Mulege, if you did not know you were in Baja you would not know Mulege is part of it. Very palm tree green, river, and primarily hotel (small mom and popish places). A little of a town (some shopping and several bars. Both are extremely safe (we have younger girls and within reasonable limits, we let them 'run wild' in both places. It is a tough personal call. As I shared in my first post on this subject, I believe that BLA is more stereotypical baja. And claming makes the whole trip worth it.

tim40
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 2-25-2005 at 11:43 PM

Okay, just thought about this again. Here is what I would really do in your situation.l Make the side trip to BLA. If it is not your cup of tea, you have only lost about 3 hours of travel time and head down to Mulege...you can not do that in reverse.

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.