Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
Author: Subject: The Vaquita Pen, San Felipe
gringorio
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 12-3-2017 at 06:52 PM
The Vaquita Pen, San Felipe

Here's a video I made a few days ago of the currently un-used vaquita capture pen off-shore of San Felipe. The capture effort has stopped due to the death by stress of a female vaquita captured by VaquitaCPR. The vaquita is a porpoise endemic to the northern Gulf of California. It has become critically endangered (maybe 30 left) because fishermen set gillnets for the (also) endangered totoaba, a species of sea bass. The fishermen sell the totoaba's swim bladder for high prices to dealers in China because of its purported medicinal qualities ("cocaine of the sea"). The vaquita's primary threat and the reason for their dramatic population decline is drowning in those gillnets. #VaquitaCPR decided that they would try and catch the few remaining vaquita, place them in the pen and hope they'd breed. VaquitaCPR first caught a juvenile and separated her from her mother before releasing her. Then they caught an adult female which promptly died from capture myopathy. The real and only solution is full enforcement of the gillnet ban and removal of all gillnets from vaquita habitat.

Here's the video of the pen: Vaquita Capture Pen

David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 12-3-2017 at 06:59 PM

Thanks Greg.
Who in the world thought that putting free-wild animals, with the entire sea to live in, in that tiny place, was a good idea? :o

Stress indeed!
A couple of navy ships on patrol to enforce the law should have done it?

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

BornFisher
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 12-3-2017 at 07:15 PM

Pen looks fine for a fish. Not so fine for a mammal.
Rooting for the vaquita, maybe there is an undiscovered pod somewhere. There are rumors!!

"When you catch a fish, you open the door of happiness."
ncampion
Super Nomad

Mood: Retired and Loving it

[*] posted on 12-4-2017 at 01:03 PM

Looks like another well intentioned bad idea. I hope for the best.

[Edited on 12-4-2017 by ncampion]

Living Large in Loreto. Off-grid and happy.
Russ
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 12-4-2017 at 02:04 PM

It is a sad situation all around, for the porpoise, fishermen, ecosystems and the inept government programs . Mexico really must rethink their sponsorship of netting in the SOC and probable other areas also. What a huge change I've witnessed in my short 25+ years here. In those years the West coast of the US has mostly worked out some good programs and most fisheries are improving. From my limited knowledge at least. I know the US can do more and progress is slow. Somehow there is enough funds to support some programs and enforcement. Some good laws are here also but the funding and corruption really have ruined any hope for the laws to work. These thoughts and been discussed many many times so I'll stop my rant.

Bahia Concepcion where life starts...given a chance!
sancho
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 12-4-2017 at 02:06 PM

Gringorio, Reading recently Sea Shepard is not in favor
the capture of Vaquitas? Am I remembering that correct?
Not that you speak for SS nor are the pens Sea Shepards

gringorio
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 12-4-2017 at 04:11 PM

Quote: Originally posted by sancho  
Gringorio, Reading recently Sea Shepard is not in favor
the capture of Vaquitas? Am I remembering that correct?
Not that you speak for SS nor are the pens Sea Shepards

Sancho, that is correct. Sea Shepherd is not in favor of capture, but instead removing the illegal totoaba gillnets. As some may now, there are two ships there now working 24/7 to find and remove the nets. A third ship will soon be joining the effort. I'll be heading back in January to fly drones for them.

I wish that the millions spent by VaquitaCPR was spent on net removal patrols and job-training programs for impacted fishermen. As Russ stated, it is a sad situation for all involved.

Here is a link to Sea Shepherds position on the Vaquita: Paul Watson Writes About Sea Sheperds Position on the Vaquita Issue

caj13
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 12-7-2017 at 09:37 AM
just saw this on CNN

pretty good 24 minute summary

http://money.cnn.com/interactive/news/vaquita-business-of-ex...
gringorio
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 12-7-2017 at 10:03 AM

Quote: Originally posted by caj13  
pretty good 24 minute summary

http://money.cnn.com/interactive/news/vaquita-business-of-ex...

I did too... Really good and accurate reporting. It's going to be really intense this next totoaba season!

caj13
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 12-7-2017 at 10:37 AM

almost makes me think, as i retire, maybe get a new hobby, crusing around the SOC. looking for gill nets!
gringorio
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 12-8-2017 at 06:02 PM

Quote: Originally posted by caj13  
almost makes me think, as i retire, maybe get a new hobby, crusing around the SOC. looking for gill nets!

Haha! Be careful, it's getting a bit tense out there :O

sancho
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 12-9-2017 at 04:56 PM

Quote: Originally posted by gringorio  

Haha! Be careful, it's getting a bit tense out there :O

What sort of a reception does Sea Shepard boats get when they
refuel, I presume at the commercial pier in the San Felipe Harbor? Not sure I would sport a Sea Shepard shirt strolling
down the SF Malecon

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.