Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1    3  4
Author: Subject: Beach camping: Suv with tent or Popup tent camper
Sailorv
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 12-5-2017 at 09:27 PM
Beach camping: Suv with tent or Popup tent camper

Beach camping only, for 4-6 weeks March-April. How much is it roughing it car camping (suv with platform and cushions for sleeping or in the tent) with an suv tent vs a Popup tent camper for beach camping on the SOC?

I realize the question is subjective. Either way the goal is beach camping sites with palapas. We, two adults and potentially our 60lb older dog, would have to buy said pup just for this trip and sell it upon return, so that's a big drawback. However, do you or have you noticed other campers really struggling with tent alone?

The objective is to keep it on budget and have a great time with out 18' tandem kayak that is a sweet lil trimaran. If suv tent camping we will have it on a trailer or car top it. If the pup it will be on a rack on it and mast on suv.

Thanks for giving your opinion. Sailorv
mickeykreg
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 12-6-2017 at 07:42 AM

Quote: Originally posted by Sailorv  
Beach camping only, for 4-6 weeks March-April. How much is it roughing it car camping (suv with platform and cushions for sleeping or in the tent) with an suv tent vs a Popup tent camper for beach camping on the SOC?

I realize the question is subjective. Either way the goal is beach camping sites with palapas. We, two adults and potentially our 60lb older dog, would have to buy said pup just for this trip and sell it upon return, so that's a big drawback. However, do you or have you noticed other campers really struggling with tent alone?

The objective is to keep it on budget and have a great time with out 18' tandem kayak that is a sweet lil trimaran. If suv tent camping we will have it on a trailer or car top it. If the pup it will be on a rack on it and mast on suv.

Thanks for giving your opinion. Sailorv

I've been debating the camper thing since returning from Baja in March, and just bought a small pop up that's designed for off road (not cheap). For us it was a matter of having somewhere to get out of the wind. We rented palapas more than we would've liked just to escape the wind. Weather when your going should be a bit better than we experienced in January.

Don't miss
Daggets camp at Bahia de LA
LaPerla, and the sweet old lady that lives there.
Also Juncalito, south of Loreto

Definitely a subjective question, and obviously depends on your tolerance for the elements, but bad weather for that long can wear anyone down.

Our trip here:
http://forums.bajanomad.com/viewthread.php?tid=85420

tiotomasbcs
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 12-6-2017 at 07:49 AM

Spring winds can be strong.
PeregrineA1

[*] posted on 12-6-2017 at 08:34 AM

We are fans of tent camping, even for extended periods. A quality tent helps, particularly if wind is expected. We use an REI Half Dome 4 for the two of us and it is perfect. Enough room for generous sleeping pads and a paired bag, plus a couple of bags of clothes. Shoes go outside.
Sailorv
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 12-6-2017 at 09:19 AM

[/rquote]

I've been debating the camper thing since returning from Baja in March, and just bought a small pop up that's designed for off road (not cheap). For us it was a matter of having somewhere to get out of the wind. We rented palapas more than we would've liked just to escape the wind. Weather when your going should be a bit better than we experienced in January.

Don't miss
Daggets camp at Bahia de LA
LaPerla, and the sweet old lady that lives there.
Also Juncalito, south of Loreto

Definitely a subjective question, and obviously depends on your tolerance for the elements, but bad weather for that long can wear anyone down.

Our trip here:
http://forums.bajanomad.com/viewthread.php?tid=85420[/rquote]
Mickey, thanks I will ck out your thread.
Why the debate? What was bothering you most tent camping? What you mentioned already or more?

BhLA may not make it in mix due to time (especially if we go only 4 wks, really a 1wk is almost used for driving being from Northern California). Is it known as a better place for sailing or other wind sports?
Sailorv
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 12-6-2017 at 09:25 AM

Thanks Tio, can you go into a little more detail how strong and if certain areas have wind longer than others? We kinda are trying to follow the wind on this trip. Day after day of 20-25kt breezes are not what we are after, but we hope to see a few.

Peregrine, I am a total newb when it comes to camping gear so thanks. Any make/model suggestions are welcome. The original plan was an motorhome, but many here discouraged a low cost one and we have ended up with less time off, so camping seems the prudent or pup camping seems the prudent choice.
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 12-6-2017 at 09:35 AM

If this is your first Deep Baja Trip, don't miss Bahía de los Angeles. Camp Archelon is just south of Daggett's, so check it, too. Hot showers, palapas, and cots included. Daggetts has rooms, cabins, and palapas. There are other places and open camping at La Gringa, 5 miles north. There is also a sand beach at the south end of the bay, 5 miles from town. Then continue south to Las Animas, San Rafael, San Francisquito, then back to Hwy 1 near Vizcaino. See my 2017 Trip #1 for photos and more.

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

bajabuddha
Banned

Mood: Always cranky unless medicated

[*] posted on 12-6-2017 at 09:54 AM

Sailorv, check your u2u.

I don't have a BUCKET LIST, but I do have a F***- IT LIST a mile long!

86 - 45*

MMc
Super Nomad

Mood: Current

[*] posted on 12-6-2017 at 10:11 AM

I am a tent camper with a big old truck. I usually take surfboards, kayak, fishing and snorkeling gear. I have a 15x15 swapmeet tarp so I don't needa palpa. I always take a tent so I can put stuff away out of the wind and rain when I sleep in the back of the truck. I sleep mostly in the tent when the weather is fair.
Get a good tent, 3 season minimum, 4 person is far more comfortable. get a good sleeping pad, (Thermarest or like).

"Never teach a pig to sing it frustrates you and annoys the pig" - W.C.Fields

AKgringo
Elite Nomad

Mood: Retireded

[*] posted on 12-6-2017 at 10:11 AM

Mostly good suggestions David, but I would not recommend Las Animas for a loaded two wheel drive pulling a trailer.

I drove in there about a week before you did, and did not need to put my hubs in, but I had that option. My little 2 dr Sportage weighs very little and I had low pressure oversize tires.

Having said that, it would be a great place to explore with the kayak! If you go in there, at least be prepared to drop your air pressure for the drive in, and re-inflate when you get back to the main road. Actually, you should be prepared to air down on many of the beaches you will want to visit!

[Edited on 12-7-2017 by AKgringo]

If you are not living on the edge, you are taking up too much space!

"Could do better if he tried!" Report card comments from most of my grade school teachers. Sadly, still true!
David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 12-6-2017 at 10:26 AM

Not sure how much you are into 'ease of set up' but we purchased a Coleman Instant Tent in 2011 and it has been fantastic. I used it on 8 Baja trips this year alone and it continues to be a great product.
1) Sets up in seconds, packs away in a couple minutes.
2) Tall enough to stand up inside... making getting dressed so much easier.
3) Has large screen windows, so great in the summer.

The only negative is it doesn't have a rain fly, and while rain bursts along the gulf coast in the summer did not get through, the all-night fog along the Pacific did, eventually. Just a bit annoying with only a few wet spots inside. Maybe there is an optional one?

In 2012:

In 2017:

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 12-6-2017 at 10:36 AM

Quote: Originally posted by AKgringo  
Mostly good suggestions David, but I would not recommend Las Animas for a loaded two wheel drive pulling a trailer.

I drove in there about a week after you did, and did not need to put my hubs in, but I had that option. My little 2 dr Sportage weighs very little and I had low pressure oversize tires.

Having said that, it would be a great place to explore with the kayak! If you go in there, at least be prepared to drop your air pressure for the drive in, and re-inflate when you get back to the main road. Actually, you should be prepared to air down on many of the beaches you will want to visit!

Yes indeed... 4WD is what you want to SEE Baja! Air pressure is a big part and even 2WDs can get unstuck or not stuck in the first place if enough air is removed from the tires!
Get a good pump (clips onto battery, not plugs into cigarette lighter).
Get a good dial air pressure gauge that reads below 10 psi (0-60 for example).
Have good condition tires and bring a plug kit. With the air pump, you can fix most nail or sharp rock caused punctures.
Depending on the vehicle and tires and load, usually drop 1/3 the normal street pressure for dirt roads and 1/2 for deep sand. In my case, a Tacoma 4 door with 34 psi street pressure tires: 24 psi on dirt roads and 17 psi in deep sand. The tires I run do really well in sand (Hankook Dynapro ATM) but other tires may require down to 10 psi, such as BFG All Terrain TAs and other 3 ply sidewall or mud type tires.

Hook
Elite Nomad

Mood: Inquisitive

[*] posted on 12-6-2017 at 10:50 AM

Seriously, in any windy conditions, a three season tent IS the minimum. Most all tents as tall as the one David K is showing is a liability in a strong wind. The support poles can actually snap and the side into the wind can remain flattened by a continuous blow. Plus, a tent that tall will "shuffle" all night in the wind; not moving, of course, but very noisy. Lower profile tents are quieter.

I would opt for the separate tent, rather than the tent trailer, IF you have all the other things for an outdoor camp setup. These tents of today with the shock-corded poles and sleeves set up so fast IF you have two people. A bit slower if you are solo, but still you are up in less than five minutes (not counting rain fly and tent stakes.

Oh, and btw, invest in some sand stakes. The "stock" tent pegs are pretty useless in loose soils and sand.
MMc
Super Nomad

Mood: Current

[*] posted on 12-6-2017 at 10:56 AM

Thanks Hook, Good points on tents and stakes. The 12" nails work well, also the surplus Army stakes also good.

"Never teach a pig to sing it frustrates you and annoys the pig" - W.C.Fields

mtgoat666
Select Nomad

Mood: Hot n spicy

[*] posted on 12-6-2017 at 11:04 AM

Try 12” and 18” rebar stakes. Cheap. Strong. Easy to drive with small sledge.

Woke!

“...ask not what your country can do for you – ask what you can do for your country.” “My fellow citizens of the world: ask not what America will do for you, but what together we can do for the freedom of man.”

Prefered gender pronoun: the royal we

PeregrineA1

[*] posted on 12-6-2017 at 11:29 AM

REI Half Dome 4 on Playa Escondida, south of Mulege

and a pair of them south of Erendira. We like them so much we have two....

[Edited on 12-6-2017 by BajaNomad]
Sailorv
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 12-6-2017 at 11:36 AM

Wow, great feedback and advice, thank you!

Well here's a potential wrench regarding 3 season tents....we would buy an suv tent. These are the tents that bungee around your rear door. This way we can sleep in the suv but have a nice open and connected tent. Especially if we bring our dog we will need this setup.

Anybody used one of these in Baja yet? Also, we intend on only going to places that have palapas, to ensure we all have shade and the tri and it's gear have shade too. We were thinking that depending on wind direction, most likely northerly, we can park the car against the palapas downwind of it or car facing wind direction for better sleeping and tent protection.
Sailorv
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 12-6-2017 at 11:42 AM

The suv tents are usually 3 season. But if anyone has experience with them in Baja that would be nice to know.

Again, a popup is an option still. But the less dramatic route is usually what we go for. However, comfort is often #1 :/
sd
Nomad

[*] posted on 12-6-2017 at 11:44 AM

A risk I see is you are out sailing and your camp is taken away by someone who wants your stuff.
I have done tent and kayak, so much fun. I have been lucky, no thefts.
mtgoat666
Select Nomad

Mood: Hot n spicy

[*] posted on 12-6-2017 at 11:46 AM

Quote: Originally posted by Sailorv  
Wow, great feedback and advice, thank you!

Well here's a potential wrench regarding 3 season tents....we would buy an suv tent. These are the tents that bungee around your rear door. This way we can sleep in the suv but have a nice open and connected tent. Especially if we bring our dog we will need this setup.

Anybody used one of these in Baja yet? Also, we intend on only going to places that have palapas, to ensure we all have shade and the tri and it's gear have shade too. We were thinking that depending on wind direction, most likely northerly, we can park the car against the palapas downwind of it or car facing wind direction for better sleeping and tent protection.

I use a tent and blow-up queen mattress. Way more comfortable than sleeping in an suv. Also, often want to drive away for a day trip w/o disassembling camp.

[Edited on 12-6-2017 by mtgoat666]

Woke!

“...ask not what your country can do for you – ask what you can do for your country.” “My fellow citizens of the world: ask not what America will do for you, but what together we can do for the freedom of man.”

Prefered gender pronoun: the royal we

Pages:  1    3  4

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.