Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  2    4
Author: Subject: Beach camping: Suv with tent or Popup tent camper
Hook
Elite Nomad

Mood: Inquisitive

[*] posted on 3-2-2018 at 02:08 PM

Roll up carpets trap sand and dirt. They also trap dog hair. And they are slow to dry if they get wet. These poly mats dont do that. The "fibers" are basically woven plastic "tubes" of maybe 1/16 diameter and smooth-skinned. But there is no "pile" to them to create a soft feel. They are very comfortable on bare feet.

If it starts to rain, leave em out. Rain goes right through them.

Nothing beats em, that I have come across.

There are collapsible privacy huts made of rip stop nylon sides that are very nice for either a portable toilet or as a shower enclosure. You will find that your rig, if it has a grey water holding tank, is very limited in size. Best to set up an outside shower and let the water drain on the ground. Save the grey water capacity for dishes and such. Especially nice if you van has an outside shower.

Here is one on Amazon.

Stake it down or just put rocks in the lower pockets to prevent wind from blowing it over. Put a poly mat under it (maybe a far corner of a 9x12 mat) and you never even have to use shower shoes. Walk right out of the van, barefoot, onto the mat and head for your "shower house". These structures have no floor, typically.
Hook
Elite Nomad

Mood: Inquisitive

[*] posted on 3-2-2018 at 02:13 PM

What engine in that Chevy? 350 or the 454? Or, I guess it could be a six cylinder; maybe they made those, too.

I am averse to the 454s because they were bigger gas hogs than the Ford 460 AND they were notorious for exhaust manifold leaks. But if a 454, this is probably old enough that it's already been replaced.
Sailorv
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 3-2-2018 at 10:12 PM

fishbuck
Banned

[*] posted on 3-4-2018 at 10:50 PM

Ok. I tuned back into this and I think I can live in a Zodiac truck tent.
Anybody ever used one?

"A ship in harbor is safe, but that is not what ships are built for." J. A. Shedd.

A clever person solves a problem. A wise person avoids it. – Albert Einstein

"Life's a Beach... and then you Fly!" Fishbuck

John Harper
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 3-5-2018 at 06:48 AM

Quote: Originally posted by fishbuck  
Ok. I tuned back into this and I think I can live in a Zodiac truck tent.
Anybody ever used one?

I talked to a guy with one up in Mammoth last summer. He had the same complaint I likely would have had. It sucks if you want to go into town or go on a daytrip. You have to break down camp just to use your truck.

I use an 8 x 7 dome tent, a cot, and a deluxe Thermarest pad for car camping, nice to be able to sit on the cot an put your boots on in the morning.

John

[Edited on 3-5-2018 by John Harper]
John Harper
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 3-5-2018 at 07:02 AM

Quote: Originally posted by Hook  
These poly mats dont do that. The "fibers" are basically woven plastic "tubes" of maybe 1/16 diameter and smooth-skinned. But there is no "pile" to them to create a soft feel. They are very comfortable on bare feet.

If it starts to rain, leave em out. Rain goes right through them.

Nothing beats em, that I have come across.

Have a link to these? I was looking for a 5 x 7 mat for my tent. I tried Walmart but came up blank, except for some fancy looking ones for RV's.

John
 Pages:  1  2    4

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.