BajaNomad
Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Poll: Learning Spanish
No hay pedo-- ya lo domino bastante. --- 6 (22.22%)
I get along OK with English and don't worry about it at this point. --- 1 (3.7%)
I really want to learn it but it's just too hard. --- 2 (7.41%)
I really want to learn it but not sure how. --- 2 (7.41%)
I'm picking it up here and there through daily life. --- 9 (33.33%)
I'm actually in some kind of disciplined study regime or class and advancing! --- 7 (25.93%)

Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  2
Author: Subject: Learning Spanish
freediverbrian
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 12-12-2017 at 10:50 PM

Download pod casts of Spanish lessons and listen to them while driving or when you have time.
Cancamo
Nomad

[*] posted on 12-13-2017 at 12:40 PM

Immersion in a Castilian speaking country, (most of Central America and South America, and Spain) is by far the best way to get a handle on the language. In time you will begin to think in Spanish, dream in Spanish.....
The Spanish most commonly spoken in parts of Mexico is loaded with slang and regional accents, and in Baja is often not enunciated and words can be garbled and sentences are often dropped at the end. Many bad habits can get a foot hold here.
Speak to someone from Guatemala or Ecuador, you will understand every word clearly the way it is spelled. In turn your "Choyero" dialect will be noticeable and limited.
In my opinion Guatemala has the most professional immersion schools, they've been doing it a long time. US State Department and Consulates send their folks there.
joerover
Banned

Mood: sleepy

[*] posted on 12-13-2017 at 10:00 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Cancamo  
Immersion in a Castilian speaking country, (most of Central America and South America, )Speak to someone from Guatemala

How can I get a book or pamplet that explains how to teach spanish?
A pamplet in Spanish, I could hand it to Camilla down in Colombia. Colombiana speaks loud and clear.

[Edited on 12-14-2017 by joerover]

the fat lady is breeding
which means
The fat ladys are breeding
Cancamo
Nomad

[*] posted on 12-14-2017 at 09:55 AM

Colombians speak a clear form of Spanish as well as most of S. America, (Argentines have a distinctive accent), Spent a couple months up and down the cordillera and the Darien region of Colombia, (incredibly diverse and beautiful country), found that even the less educated country folk spoke clearly. The Caribbean region had some accents, native dialects, with some slang mixed in.

I would look for Spanish language textbooks in Spanish in Colombia, also might try Amazon.
shari
Select Nomad

Mood: there is no reality except the one contained within us "Herman Hesse"

[*] posted on 12-14-2017 at 10:19 AM

Quote: Originally posted by rts551  
Just put an "o" on the end of every word. Or one time "donde pescandoing". Cuando returno?.....or cundo finito.

this doesnt always work....I once laughed at the teacher accompany a spanish immersion course I gave here when he said..."Cool-o" which mean arsehole in spanish and not appropriate for a teacher to say for sure...sure did elicit laughs from the mexican kids though!

for info & pics of our little paradise & whale watching info
http://www.bahiaasuncion.com/
https://www.whalemagictours.com/
gsbotanico
Nomad

[*] posted on 12-14-2017 at 03:34 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Cancamo  
Colombians speak a clear form of Spanish as well as most of S. America, (Argentines have a distinctive accent), Spent a couple months up and down the cordillera and the Darien region of Colombia, (incredibly diverse and beautiful country), found that even the less educated country folk spoke clearly. The Caribbean region had some accents, native dialects, with some slang mixed in.

Nothing wrong with the educated Spanish spoken in the major cities in Central Mexico. The trick is to not pick up a regional accent and too much regional vocabulary. unless living in an area, then the vocabulary becomes necessary to communicate with ordinary people.

When I've traveled in Central and South America, the more perceptive locals can pick up that I learned my Spanish in Mexico, especially from the use of aztequismos, which are mostly understood in other countries because Mexico dominates by the size of its population and production of television programs such as telenovelas.

I agree that the Caribbean and Argentinian accents should be avoided by native English speakers. It's always better to learn the standard educated accent common in Latin America.
pacificobob
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 12-15-2017 at 06:41 AM

guatemala has some rather good spanish spoken. peru as well.
 Pages:  1  2

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.