Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  
Author: Subject: pros & cons El Dorado - San Felipe
caj13
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 12-11-2017 at 01:53 PM
pros & cons El Dorado - San Felipe

working my way through all of the options I would be interested in to become a resident of Baja - at least 6 months per year. any thoughts on plus and minuses of El Dorado?

intruiging because it's an easy drive, and looks like it would be pretty sdafe, both investment wise and crime wise, but looking for input and opinion.

I am alos looking seriously at heading down to the east cape to get a place, - just fly in to cabo and pick up a stored vehicle - and head north. - save some of the transport hassels - so I'm wide open. Big time fisherman and scuba snorkel guy, as well as off raod motorcycle guy as well.
ehall
Super Nomad

Mood: It's 5 o'clock somewhere

[*] posted on 12-11-2017 at 02:07 PM

rent or buy? I like the looks of El Dorado also and think San Felipe is a cool little town.
caj13
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 12-11-2017 at 02:09 PM

rent first to try it out, but at some point i need to pull the trigger and buy.
PaulW
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 12-11-2017 at 02:56 PM

Lots of us are pretty happy with homes in ElDorado. Bargains galore if you want to buy. Just consult the various realtors on advertising on the SF web site.
Rentals are a good bargain as well and a valid option.

And yes the drive is way better than the old days. Even bypasses of the downtown areas.
chippy
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 12-11-2017 at 04:31 PM

As a big time fisherman and snorkel guy I donĀ“t think there is much of either in the SF area. You will be happy on your moto though. East cape fits your bill for all 3.
bkbend
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 12-11-2017 at 04:47 PM

I could see San Felipe satisfying your off road motorcycle itch, not so much fishing and scuba. I can't answer much about ED ranch other than it doesn't look like you can walk to the water from it and it's dusty if the wind is blowing when I drive by. Any location will be a compromise between good and bad features and you need to decide what those features important to you are and how they offset the negatives of a particular location. You seem to be started down that path of looking at options. If there was one single location that was perfect we'd all be there... then it wouldn't be perfect any longer. (Exhibit A - Cabo)
willardguy
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 12-11-2017 at 05:27 PM

I'd pick Ensenada!
yumawill
Nomad

[*] posted on 12-11-2017 at 05:35 PM

El Dorado has been a Gringo scam for 40 years. And now San Felipe is dying a slow and painful death. Ask the Vaquita.....
caj13
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 12-11-2017 at 07:50 PM

You are right on Cabo, I was there30 years ago, really liked it,
no way I could live there now - no interest in that city or the lifestyle. cruise ships everywhere, plus drunken ugly american gringo college kids - no thanks!

I appreciate the feedback, kind of confirming my thought process. west side is out, wanna be on sea of cortez, and I'm starting to think south gets me better fishing and swimming options.
I still need to get to Gonzaga Bay area, and maybe take a look at BOLA,
I'm headed down to Los Barriles in January to take a second look there, I also think it might be worth my time to take a look at the Mulege area. what about Loreto?

[Edited on 12-12-2017 by caj13]

[Edited on 12-12-2017 by caj13]
ehall
Super Nomad

Mood: It's 5 o'clock somewhere

[*] posted on 12-12-2017 at 10:29 AM

Quote: Originally posted by yumawill  
El Dorado has been a Gringo scam for 40 years. And now San Felipe is dying a slow and painful death. Ask the Vaquita.....

How are people getting ripped off at El Dorado? It looks like a very nice community.
del mar
Banned

Mood: lil' fuzzy

[*] posted on 12-12-2017 at 10:34 AM

Quote: Originally posted by ehall  

How are people getting ripped off at El Dorado? It looks like a very nice community.

ever hear of Pat Butler?
TMW
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 12-12-2017 at 10:39 AM

Maybe get something in Pete's Camp, I've heard good things about it.
BajaUtah
Nomad

[*] posted on 12-12-2017 at 11:33 AM

I'm living your second choice now. I have a house just south of La Ribera and absolutely love the area. It's 2.5 hours from walking on the plane in the US to walking out the airport door at SJD (if we do the more expensive direct flight) pick up our car, hit the grocery stores and head north. We are an easy hours drive north of the airport.

We don't spend any extended time in the Cabo/SJD area but it's tough to beat the advantages of a bigger town near by with the big box Costcos, Walmarts and Homedepots near by if you want it but smaller local shops and stores closer to home.

It's also tough to beat the diving around Cabo Pulmo but we have several smaller reefs a 10 minute ATV ride from the house plus you get to fish there. Great shore fishing, wind sports and surfing a 2 minute walk from the front door.

Minus the obvious disadvantage of being in the sights of the annual hurricane's bullseye it's a pretty perfect spot for us.

Andy
wornout
Senior Nomad

Mood: No Bad Days

[*] posted on 12-12-2017 at 05:30 PM

Quote: Originally posted by del mar  
Quote: Originally posted by ehall  

ever hear of Pat Butler?

I have lived here since 1998 and love it. The people that have problems here are the ones who don't realize one has two eyes and two ears and one mouth for a reason. Look around, listen to residents and spend a little time before opening mouth and buying. I was told in 1998, only buy and build something that you can walk away from if you have to for political, social or health reasons. My total $78 k investment, which included my solar system that works just fine, has worked out very well. The developer is still around and trying his best to get the ranch going again. The complainers are the ones who not only bought but built before electricity was put in. Un Huh, not a wise thing to do. Is it an easy drive to the old country and once one gets a Sentry pass, a breeze to cross back into Calexico and El Centro to do a little shopping and a Sizzler fix. Good luck.

This Space Available, E-Mail Me If Interested.
advrider
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 12-12-2017 at 06:47 PM

I to have looked at the El Dorado ranch area a few times and would love more info about the scam? I really don't know and would love all of the information I can get so I'm able to make an educated decision.
del mar
Banned

Mood: lil' fuzzy

[*] posted on 12-12-2017 at 07:09 PM

Quote: Originally posted by advrider  
I to have looked at the El Dorado ranch area a few times and would love more info about the scam? I really don't know and would love all of the information I can get so I'm able to make an educated decision.

google is your friend...or search pat butler right here. im sure there are some happy owners...some not so much :rolleyes:
advrider
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 12-12-2017 at 07:37 PM

Got it, thanks.....
advrider
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 12-12-2017 at 08:37 PM

I'm not the sharpest tool in the shed, but I have a few new questions after reading.
Is there any cap on the HOA'S or how they are used?
Does the property owner have a lease or is it all held by EDR owners?
How long is the "lease" now good for?
Butler makes a living from the HOA'S and taxes that he collects?
What happens if you don't make your lease payment? Taxes?
I'm sure there are more questions as I become more informed.I have a cabin on USF service land near Tahoe, so I get the lease thing and the restrictions that go along with it. My exsperiance with it has been pretty good over the last 20 years, but the FS has rules that they have to play by, not sure that is true with EDR?
Udo
Elite Nomad

Mood: TEQUILA!

[*] posted on 12-13-2017 at 10:42 AM

My sentiments exactly! Much better year-round weather

Quote: Originally posted by willardguy  
I'd pick Ensenada!

Udo

Youth is wasted on the young!

freediverbrian
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 12-13-2017 at 09:39 PM

Lots of other areas to look besides El Dorado , Peet's or Ocotillo on the north east side of town or the south Campos . Look around don't take any one comment on this board as the truth . Lots of options look for your self. Good luck

[Edited on 12-14-2017 by freediverbrian]
 Pages:  1  

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.