Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  2
Author: Subject: pros & cons El Dorado - San Felipe
bajamedic
Nomad

Mood: Just waitin for baja

[*] posted on 12-13-2017 at 11:10 PM

I have been considering a home purchase in the San Felipe area. I have visited EDR several times trying to get a "feel" of the neighborhoods and people. I have found that no matter how nice a home is, the wrong neighbors and the whole "vibe" of the neighborhood can make even the nicest home a dump. While driving through EDR I stopped two random people and asked them if they were home owners in EDR and if they would buy again, both said they would. I have also heard of the naysayers and the history, but I like the pools, the prices of the homes, the beach area, the activities, how the roads are maintained and the friendly people that I have met each time. I am also a believer in not investing more into Mexico than you can walk away from. When the time is right and as long as San Felipe remains fairly safe, I will probably buy in EDR. JH
caj13
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 12-14-2017 at 09:03 PM

Quote: Originally posted by BajaUtah  
I'm living your second choice now. I have a house just south of La Ribera and absolutely love the area. It's 2.5 hours from walking on the plane in the US to walking out the airport door at SJD (if we do the more expensive direct flight) pick up our car, hit the grocery stores and head north. We are an easy hours drive north of the airport.

We don't spend any extended time in the Cabo/SJD area but it's tough to beat the advantages of a bigger town near by with the big box Costcos, Walmarts and Homedepots near by if you want it but smaller local shops and stores closer to home.

It's also tough to beat the diving around Cabo Pulmo but we have several smaller reefs a 10 minute ATV ride from the house plus you get to fish there. Great shore fishing, wind sports and surfing a 2 minute walk from the front door.

Minus the obvious disadvantage of being in the sights of the annual hurricane's bullseye it's a pretty perfect spot for us.

I think i'm leaning that way Andy, can you tell me about transport between the airport and La Riberia? do you have some place to store a vehicle in Las Cabo?
BajaUtah
Nomad

[*] posted on 12-14-2017 at 09:59 PM

Quote: Originally posted by caj13  

I think i'm leaning that way Andy, can you tell me about transport between the airport and La Riberia? do you have some place to store a vehicle in Las Cabo?

Yes a storage lot about a mile off the airport. The cost of storage for the year is about the cost of renting a car for a few weeks so if I'm down for a month or more a year I'm money ahead. It's just nice to hop in your own vehicle instead of a racked out rental. Plus these guys wash it and do regular maintenance so the car is clean and ready to go.

I alternate between my diesel F350 or my Grand Cherokee depending on what I have back in the US.

Search ivanstoragecabo on the web

Private transport back and forth to the airport runs about $100 each way. There are a bunch of folks based out of La Ribera or Los Barriles who do this.

[Edited on 12-15-2017 by BajaUtah]

Andy
meme
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 12-15-2017 at 10:25 AM

If you listen to gossip & rumors regarding EDR you will likly pass it by. Not a good idea to just listen to those that bought in electric area expecting electric & did not get it. Ofcourse they feel scammed as any of us would, but they made the choice to buy BEFORE it was done & PB ran out of money (due ofcourse to bad business sense plus the economy going bad. He is still trying to get the ranch back up & running strong & many of us see he is trying anyway. We have lived here happily for 21 years, got what we paid for & have no intentions of leaving. We love it & the life style here & have many many very happy friends living in EDR & outlying areas of the ranch. Most of the time here in EDR it is what you choose to make it. We have made it HOME for a long long time & I now have two daughters, a son in law a sister , a brother & sister in law all living in EDR. Please talk to the folks that live in EDR before you make your decision & see for yourself if it is what you are really looking for. I do know gossip & rumors would not make my decision for sure!
ehall
Super Nomad

Mood: It's 5 o'clock somewhere

[*] posted on 12-15-2017 at 10:42 AM

Quote: Originally posted by meme  
If you listen to gossip & rumors regarding EDR you will likly pass it by. Not a good idea to just listen to those that bought in electric area expecting electric & did not get it. Ofcourse they feel scammed as any of us would, but they made the choice to buy BEFORE it was done & PB ran out of money (due ofcourse to bad business sense plus the economy going bad. He is still trying to get the ranch back up & running strong & many of us see he is trying anyway. We have lived here happily for 21 years, got what we paid for & have no intentions of leaving. We love it & the life style here & have many many very happy friends living in EDR & outlying areas of the ranch. Most of the time here in EDR it is what you choose to make it. We have made it HOME for a long long time & I now have two daughters, a son in law a sister , a brother & sister in law all living in EDR. Please talk to the folks that live in EDR before you make your decision & see for yourself if it is what you are really looking for. I do know gossip & rumors would not make my decision for sure!

Great post. Are there a lot of year round residents?
meme
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 12-16-2017 at 09:10 AM
EDR

Yes. there are a lot of year round residents here in EDR these days. Not so many in Solar because most or many anyway do not have A/C but we now do have it & stay year around in our home now. Many Americans /Canadians etc. are now finding SF is a good choice because of the cost of trying to live on retirement income one can live a good life style here, not far from the border to reach medical & medical is getting better here also tho still Medicare is a problem. It is coming with a new medicare "C" plan now too. Many good real estate buys too. Come & stay awhile & see & live the life style before you make your decisions. There is ALWAYS room for improvement wherever you go but the people that here try to make that happen.
 Pages:  1  2

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.