Printable Version  
Author: Subject: They still use these in Baja
Baja Bernie
`Normal` Nomad Correspondent

Mood: Just dancing through life

[*] posted on 2-24-2005 at 09:26 AM
They still use these in Baja

Boy,
This one brought tears to my eyes along with a ton of happy memories. I lived with my grandmother during World War II and her apron was always a comfort when me and my brother were worrying about our parents--It was also used to wipe noses (come to think of it that was just one more thing that we survived (aprons) in growing up in a less than sterile environment.

Grandma's apron
This is precious. (I don't think our kids know what an apron IS ..) And this will remind you of the "good ol days" The principle use of Grandma's apron was to protect the dress underneath, but along with that, it served as a holder for removing hot pans from the oven. It
was wonderful for drying children's tears, and on occasion was even used for cleaning out dirty ears. From the chicken-coop the apron was used for carrying eggs, fuzzy chicks, and sometimes half-hatched eggs to be finished in the warming oven. When company came those aprons were ideal hiding places for shy kids. And when the weather was cold, grandma wrapped it around her arms.

Those big old aprons wiped many a perspiring brow, bent over the hot wood cook stove. Chips and kindling wood were brought into the kitchen in that apron. From the garden, it carried all sorts of vegetables. After the peas had been shelled it carried out the hulls. In the fall the apron was used to bring in apples that had fallen from the trees. When unexpected company drove up the road, it was surprising how much furniture that old apron could dust in a matter of seconds. When dinner was ready, Grandma walked out onto the porch, waved her apron, and the men knew it was time to come in from the fields to dinner. It will be a
long time before someone invents something that will replace that "old-time apron" that served so many purposes.

I wonder--Do you think this little old piece of clothe could have anything to do with why Mexican families are so 'together' and happy?

My smidgen of a claim to fame is that I have had so many really good friends. By Bernie Swaim December 2007
Eli
Super Nomad

Mood: Some times Observing, sometimes Oblivious.

[*] posted on 2-24-2005 at 02:17 PM

Ah Don Bernie,

That was one of the best things I have read in a long time, thanks.

The women of Tlacolula are big apron wearers, they wear a beautiful calico pinafore types with embordery on the front of peacoaks and flowers and other such stuff over their traditional frilly old fashioined puffy sleave full skirted sateen dresses. Do they hold the family togeater? I don't no, maybe. For sure they bring confort to my soul to see them.

I do think that I cook better when I wear an apron, jejeje, now that is werid but for sure true.

[Edited on 2-24-2005 by Eli]
Mike Humfreville
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 2-24-2005 at 08:01 PM
Good Post Bernie

The aprons I identify the most with are those associated with the early morning panaderias. It's not often I'm up that early, to be completely honest, but occasionally, moving from point to point along the peninsula we have an early departure time and set out in search of pan dulce and cafe con leche to start the day.

In any small village along the way we spot their panaderia and stop, pass through the usually open front door, smell the heated aromas of... bread. The baker passes through the front room, en route to the kitchen. He's covered by an always white and quite large apron, sowing flour onto the cement floor like pollen into a flowerbox. We grab an empty baking pan, stacked next to the cash register or change box and select the baked goodies for our family. The baker usually has a senora to create a running total for our purchases and package them and I hand her a few pesos, exit the small building, head for the car, just as we each bite into our first fresh bread of the day. Everything seems to come alive and we realize it's because of the guy with the apron and we just can't leave without telling him in person how he's made our day. I rush back into the panaderia, asking the cashier where the baker is...

?He just finished the baking until tomorrow,? she informs me. You look at the door to the kitchen, partially ajar. There's a nail in the upper center you hadn't noticed before. From the nail hangs, still swinging... is the baker?s apron, waiting patiently to serve again, the next morning.

Eli
Super Nomad

Mood: Some times Observing, sometimes Oblivious.

[*] posted on 2-25-2005 at 07:28 PM

Boy, I thought this post was mighty good when I read Bernie's thoughts, now Mike's story of the baker, excellent, excellent you guys!

You guys had me out serching for a gingam pinafore today, I swear.

It really is the simplest things that call it all in, and makes the heart sing, ain't it?
Baja Bernie

[*] posted on 2-25-2005 at 08:56 PM
Sara/Mike

I find that most of my Mexican friends sing.They sing of the Sun, the moon, stars, and mostly of children. I suppose because that is because they have little else to sing (another way to say smile)about.
AND their children reward them with uncontitional love.

Damn I sure would sing for that.

My smidgen of a claim to fame is that I have had so many really good friends. By Bernie Swaim December 2007
Baja Bernie

[*] posted on 2-25-2005 at 08:57 PM
Sara/Mike

I find that most of my Mexican friends sing.They sing of the Sun, the moon, stars, and mostly of children. I suppose because that is because they have little else to sing (another way to say smile)about.
AND their children reward them with uncontitional love.

Damn I sure would sing for that.

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.