Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  
Author: Subject: Driving Question
basautter
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 12-13-2017 at 06:03 PM
Driving Question

Hello Nomads. I am thinking about driving chase for a friend in support of the 2018 NORRA 1000, but am tight on vacation time. Is it realistic to think I can drive from San Jose del Cabo to Gonzaga Bay in one day if I leave really early in the morning? I have done most of the drive before, but it has been a while. Not sure how good Highway 1 is. Thanks in advance! :?:
willardguy
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 12-13-2017 at 06:26 PM

sure its doable, something like 15 hours im guessing?....folks here will tell you night time driving is an absolute no two ways about it death sentence, right behind drinking the water, but the fact is thousands seem to survive it daily. If its a necessity I'd say go for it!:P
basautter
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 12-13-2017 at 06:49 PM

Thanks for the info, WG! That was roughly my guess, but it's good to have a second opinion. BTW, I start very early in the morning (4:00 AM or so), so I don't have to drive into the night. Works for me!
MMc
Super Nomad

Mood: Current

[*] posted on 12-13-2017 at 08:59 PM

Driving early morning, before the sun is up is driving at night. It will be a long day but a good one! I drove from La Paz to L A one time, I was glad when I hit the toll road:lol::o:o It is good to be outside your comfort zone at times. I would do it for sure, I run with scissors too.

"Never teach a pig to sing it frustrates you and annoys the pig" - W.C.Fields

TMW
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 12-13-2017 at 09:16 PM

You can cut maybe a couple of hours off the drive time, depending on your vehicle, by taking the coastal road from Insurgentes to San Ignacio instead of hwy 1.

The road is paved to San Juanico and the pavement also starts about 25 miles from San Ignacio. You got about 80 miles of graded road, salt flats and sand road that can be driven at a good speed much of the time, again depending on your vehicle. Parts of hwy 1 are not fast either.

It is a bit of a gamble if you are not familiar with the road thru El Datil.
BajaUtah
Nomad

[*] posted on 12-13-2017 at 09:46 PM

I did San Felipe to Los Barriles in 16 hours once. It was a long, tough day. June 21st so it it was the longest daylight of the year. I still ended up in full dark the last section from La Paz to LB.

Doable but I won't do it again (maybe)

Andy
basautter
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 12-14-2017 at 05:21 AM

Agreed MMc, driving in the early morning is driving at night. But there is much less traffic and fewer drunk drivers at 5:00 AM vs the evening!
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 12-14-2017 at 07:12 AM

In the dark, it's the COWS and BURROS who love the warm asphalt... especially in the bottom of the vados (dips) more than any drunk drivers that will be the most concern.

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

RnR
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 12-14-2017 at 07:43 AM

Quote: Originally posted by David K  
it's the COWS and BURROS who love the warm asphalt... .

Not sure about this....

After 25 years of driving Baja highways, I have never seen a cow or burro laying down in the road enjoying the "warm" asphalt.

There are LOTS of cows and burros along the immediate edges of the road. Also standing in the road and crossing the road.

My theory -

The asphalt road surface concentrates the rainfall runoff along the edge of the road shoulder more so than in the open desert. More water equals more vegetation and, specifically, more grasses and other forage. The cows migrate to the road shoulders to feed after spending the hot daytime resting in some shade in the nearby desert.

Any other theories ... ?

Bottom line -- Be careful after dark! There are animals along the roadway.
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 12-14-2017 at 07:52 AM

Oh, I have and more than once... !!! Cows were lying in a vado west of San Ignacio (many years ago) was the most memorable... brake lockup!

Other trips too, but as I am not in favor of night driving on the pavement, not a lot... but enough of those few times it has to be mentioned.

On my trip in Sept. 2016, again near San Ignacio, horses and burros... walking on Highway 1. Not laying down, but still a hazard.

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

bajaguy
Elite Nomad

Mood: must be 5 O'clock somewhere in Baja

[*] posted on 12-14-2017 at 08:32 AM

If you are going to drive at night, don't outdrive your lights.

Auxiliary lighting is recommended
LancairDriver
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 12-14-2017 at 09:17 AM

Quote: Originally posted by bajaguy  
If you are going to drive at night, don't outdrive your lights.

Auxiliary lighting is recommended

“Don’t ourdrive your lights”, or your reflexes.
Cliffy
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 12-15-2017 at 09:44 PM

Why do you suppose ALL the trucks have cow catchers on them?

You chose your position in life today by what YOU did yesterday
mtgoat666
Select Nomad

Mood: Hot n spicy

[*] posted on 12-15-2017 at 10:05 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Cliffy  
Why do you suppose ALL the trucks have cow catchers on them?

Because the truck owners are posers! :lol:

(A cow impact at high speed (even low speed) would crush any of those cow catchers)

Woke!

“...ask not what your country can do for you – ask what you can do for your country.” “My fellow citizens of the world: ask not what America will do for you, but what together we can do for the freedom of man.”

Prefered gender pronoun: the royal we

Cliffy
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 12-15-2017 at 10:37 PM

I'm talking of the 18 wheelers NOT the Sunday cowboys and their wannabe pick'm ups.

You chose your position in life today by what YOU did yesterday
mtgoat666
Select Nomad

Mood: Hot n spicy

[*] posted on 12-15-2017 at 11:01 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Cliffy  
I'm talking of the 18 wheelers NOT the Sunday cowboys and their wannabe pick'm ups.

I’m talking about all trucks, 4 wheel n 18 wheel.
The bling won’t protect your truck from a cow at 50 mph.

Woke!

“...ask not what your country can do for you – ask what you can do for your country.” “My fellow citizens of the world: ask not what America will do for you, but what together we can do for the freedom of man.”

Prefered gender pronoun: the royal we

willardguy
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 12-15-2017 at 11:08 PM

who says nomads don't wick it up on friday nights! :coolup:
rdrrm8e
Nomad

[*] posted on 12-16-2017 at 01:18 AM

Anybody who does not assume there are livestock. broken down semis, farm vehicles or family cars, potholes or just about any other obstruction in the road at any hour......is a fool.

Drive whenever you want or are capable of....

But...be sober...be alert...slow down and accept your choices

Anything is possible. Just know the possibility and cost.

Do you know hat a small stack of stones on the shoulder means?
Sr.vienes
Nomad

[*] posted on 12-16-2017 at 10:11 AM

My personal after dark watch your ass (actually burros horses and cattle) is just North of the El Tomatal checkpoint. Twisty turny spot with water close by, high traffic thirsty critter spot.
StuckSucks
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 12-16-2017 at 10:26 AM

Two things:
- Being part of the Mexican 1000 is huge huge fun. You will be talking about it for a long time.
- Years ago we left Cabo very early and had dinner in San Felipe. No sit-down meals. Indy-style gas stops. Just get after it and stay after it.

OK, a third thing. This is what a day-time cow can do -- I managed a semi-controlled side-swipe east of Insurgentes a few weeks ago. Insurance will fix.

Pages:  1  

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.