Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  
Author: Subject: Gas on Hwy 5 route???!
Tres Rios
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 12-14-2017 at 10:55 AM
Gas on Hwy 5 route???!

Heading out this Saturday for our month long trip down the Peninsula. we'll be driving down Hwy 5 and was wondering about gas stations and if it is advisable to carry at least 5 gallons of gas on the vehicle???!
willardguy
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 12-14-2017 at 10:59 AM

can't hurt...and you may be able to help a stranded motorist! :D
StuckSucks
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 12-14-2017 at 11:09 AM

About a month ago I bought gas with a credit card in Gonzaga. I will also carrying a dump can with fuel -- nothing wrong with a spare kidney. Of course tons of gas in San Felipe, and did not get a visual of the station at Puertecitos.

BUT, I would not plan on gas at either Gonzaga or Puertecitos. If they have gas, consider yourself lucky.

AKgringo
Elite Nomad

Member Is Online

Mood: Retireded

[*] posted on 12-14-2017 at 11:21 AM

I travel alone, (except for a big dog) and I carry five gallons because it gives me options for side trips, closed stations, change of destination etc.

If you can safely and conveniently carry extra fuel, you might want to. If I had one more person plus their gear in my small SUV, I would leave the gas behind and probably be just fine on Mex 5.

I have only used the extra fuel when I have gone off road, or fueled someone else's vehicle.

How many miles can you drive on a full tank? I can only cover 200 to 250 miles, depending on terrain and load.

If you are not living on the edge, you are taking up too much space!

"Could do better if he tried!" Report card comments from most of my grade school teachers. Sadly, still true!
BigBearRider
Super Nomad

Mood: :)

[*] posted on 12-14-2017 at 11:46 AM

I passed Gonzaga and Puertecitos on the way north Tuesday. Both stations appeared to be open.
tobias
Nomad

[*] posted on 12-14-2017 at 11:52 AM

You really need to know your range.
In my westfalia I have about 300 miles
In my chevy express awd I have a much larger tank and can go nearly 600 miles in the American southwest.
I seem to get pretty crappy fuel mileage in baja for some reason but I can still go nearly 500 miles.
If your range is only 200 miles I would get a spare can for sure
Tres Rios
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 12-14-2017 at 12:08 PM

We will be traveling in a 2011 Honda Pilot which gets pretty chitty gas mileage. can probably get 250-300 miles on a tank. I have a hitch-mount cargo rack on the back. I will take an extra 5gallons and have the piece of mind and the ability to help others if needed. Cheers Nomads....
bajabuddha
Banned

Mood: Always cranky unless medicated

[*] posted on 12-14-2017 at 01:30 PM

Tres Rios, be sure it's empty when you cross the border.... fill it when you are in Baja. They may not let you enter w/a full bottle.

I don't have a BUCKET LIST, but I do have a F***- IT LIST a mile long!

86 - 45*

Tres Rios
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 12-14-2017 at 02:21 PM

Thanks Buddha. I would have filled it here for sure....
Bob and Susan
Elite Nomad

Mood: Full Time Residents

[*] posted on 12-14-2017 at 02:59 PM

don't buy a 5 gal can...too heavy

bring a 3 gallon can

your Honda has a 21 gallon tank and will get about 20mpg so your range should be about 400 miles on Mexican gas..less in the usa

our website is:
http://www.mulege.org
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 12-14-2017 at 03:17 PM

There is no gas issues if you can drive 250 miles.
Gasoline stations to La Paz at:
Mexicali
La Puerta
North San Felipe
San Felipe
Puertecitos
San Luis Gonzaga
Villa Jesus María
Paralelo 28
Guerrero Negro
Vizcaíno
San Ignacio
Santa Rosalia
Mulegé
Loreto
Ciudad Insurgentes
Ciudad Constitucion
Las Pocitas (Km. 113)
La Paz

The longest dry section is south of Gonzaga, but there are independent vendors at L.A. Bay junction and Punta Prieta.

[Edited on 12-15-2017 by David K]

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

chippy
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 12-14-2017 at 04:19 PM

Quote: Originally posted by David K  
Mexicali
La Puerta
North San Felipe
San Felipe
Puertecitos
San Luis Gonzaga
Villa Jesus María
Paralelo 28
Guerrero Negro
Vizcaíno
San Ignacio
Santa Rosalia
Mulegé
Loreto
Ciudad Insurgentes
Ciudad Constitucion
Las Polcitas (or in the area)
La Paz

The logest dry section is south of Gonzaga, but there are independent vendors at L.A. Bay junction and Punta Prieta

No es Polcitas es Pocitas.

David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 12-14-2017 at 05:09 PM

Quote: Originally posted by chippy  
Quote: Originally posted by David K  
Mexicali
La Puerta
North San Felipe
San Felipe
Puertecitos
San Luis Gonzaga
Villa Jesus María
Paralelo 28
Guerrero Negro
Vizcaíno
San Ignacio
Santa Rosalia
Mulegé
Loreto
Ciudad Insurgentes
Ciudad Constitucion
Las Pocitas (Km. 113)
La Paz

The longest dry section is south of Gonzaga, but there are independent vendors at L.A. Bay junction and Punta Prieta

No es Polcitas es Pocitas.

YES! Thank you, I was having lunch in Vista when I responded on my cell phone... my fingers don't work as well and I was just going off my memory and not my trip notes. I have edited the reply... and fixed the quote placement! ;)

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

Bajavanadu
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 12-14-2017 at 07:11 PM

I've got an old 4x4 van van with limited fuel range. I'm heading down to Gonzaga for Xmas, any advice or experience fueling up around there during a holiday?
TMW
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 12-14-2017 at 07:39 PM

Fill up in San Felipe and drive as far as you can. When you run out someone will help you. If you have enough food and water I'll be there in mid Jan. to help you.
David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 12-14-2017 at 08:38 PM

:light: :lol:

Sweetwater
Senior Nomad

Mood: chilly today hot tomale

[*] posted on 12-14-2017 at 08:40 PM

Quote: Originally posted by StuckSucks  
About a month ago I bought gas with a credit card in Gonzaga. I will also carrying a dump can with fuel -- nothing wrong with a spare kidney. Of course tons of gas in San Felipe, and did not get a visual of the station at Puertecitos.

BUT, I would not plan on gas at either Gonzaga or Puertecitos. If they have gas, consider yourself lucky.

???
I've seen Puertocitos closed and have not been able to find an attendant but I've mostly counted on Gonzaga to have gasolina and they always have. Are they running out due to higher traffic volumes or is there some delivery issues that are causing shortages? My 690 doesn't have more range than San Felipe to Gonzaga and the RotoPax won't get much further.

Everbody\'s preachin\' at me that we all wanna git to heaven, trouble is, nobody wants to die to git there.-BB King
Reality is what does not go away when you stop believing in it. -Philip K Dick
Nothing is worse than active ignorance. Johann Wolfgang von Goethe(1749-1832, German writer, artist and politician)
When choosing between two evils, I always like to try the one I\'ve never tried before. - Mae West
Experience is what keeps a man who makes the same mistake twice from admitting it the third time around.
Marc
Ultra Nomad

Mood: Waiting

[*] posted on 12-15-2017 at 08:37 AM

Gonzaga was closed on our south bound trip Nov 2, and open on going north Nov 14. I've never counted on it being open. I travel with 500+ mile range so no problema. The R Grande store does sell gas I understand.
AKgringo
Elite Nomad

Member Is Online

Mood: Retireded

[*] posted on 12-15-2017 at 08:57 AM

I pulled in there just about a year ago, and there was no one there. It must have been break time, or possibly siesta, but after two more customers pulled up to the pumps, two people came out and opened up for us.

It didn't help the guy who wanted diesel though, they didn't have those pumps in service.

[Edited on 12-15-2017 by AKgringo]

If you are not living on the edge, you are taking up too much space!

"Could do better if he tried!" Report card comments from most of my grade school teachers. Sadly, still true!
Marc
Ultra Nomad

Mood: Waiting

[*] posted on 12-15-2017 at 04:41 PM

Will a diesel run on veg oil?
I got to a station once using vodka in a '61 Bug.
 Pages:  1  

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.