Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  2  
Author: Subject: Turkeys on the beach!
carlosg
Senior Nomad

Mood: Just like in Baja: No Bad Days...

[*] posted on 12-19-2017 at 10:58 AM

Thanks Keith for your family's trip and "cooking in the sand" report... you guys obviously had a great time and found solitude in Baja... nice end inviting photos.... Our plans had a turn so we had to do some changes to our Thanksgiving plan... we'll see you in Baja next time... Our plan for next Spring Break is to do a loop of that area if we can do it on a 2WD...

...work to camp and fish.... dream to be there....

http://aquapropoolandspaservice.com/
TMW
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 12-19-2017 at 01:12 PM

The Window Rock trail goes north out of LA Bay toward Bahia Guadalupe then west going near Yubay. The trail is mostly single track.

WR Trail from El Crucero to LA Bay

Closer to LA Bay

Near Yubay

Window Rock Pictures from Bajaseve

[Edited on 12-19-2017 by TMW]
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 12-19-2017 at 01:58 PM

Good post TW!
Looks like it goes from the copper mine north-west from La Gringa. That must be a crazy m/c ride as the is a mountain all around there and no 4x4 road goes beyond.
Did Bill Nichols create it? WOW!!!

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

TMW
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 12-19-2017 at 02:17 PM

Yes Bill Nichols first did it. When I zoom in on GE it follows mostly arroyos from LA Bay. Bajaseve did it a couple of years ago with a group and sent me the file.

canoe4me

[*] posted on 12-19-2017 at 06:33 PM

Day6/7 Onward!

After awaking from our turkey coma we cleaned up and moved on. We spent some time exploring the Bahia Guadalupe environs before driving back to BOLA to stock up on cokes and snacks. The kids are developing a taste for spicy Mexican potato chips and I can’t blame them.

We went south towards San Borja with a side trip to Montevideo to see the paintings. I was surprised to see a large mule deer there that was a little darker in coloration but otherwise very similar to the deer that raid our flowerbeds back home.

We took so much time wandering the cliff line that the sun was nearly down by the time we returned to our truck. We did not make San Borja before we got too tired and spent a glorious star filled night among the boojum trees and cactus.

We arrived at San Borja early the next morning and had a great tour of the mission and grounds. The guide told us that he rarely sees gringo niños there. He confirmed what all of our friends said about us being crazy for driving our kids to Mexico. I’ll take crazy if it means days on deserted beaches and touring lonely relics.

We descended back to route 1 way ahead of schedule for the first time on this trip. Heading north we took the turn off to Santa Rosalia to look for more tacos. We didn’t find tacos but did find some fun on the beach west of town. There were many blue jellyfish washed up on the beach and in the waves. My kids decided they will take swimming in Tahoe’s cold waters over the monster infested warmer ocean any day. We need to make some friends that can teach us about the ocean.

Desperate at that point we drove back to Bahia Gonzaga and got our Taco fix at Alfonsinas. The place was nice but a little too country club for us. We enjoyed the views and tacos before disappearing out into the desert for the night.

ab1.jpg - 33kB ab2.jpg - 32kB ab3.jpg - 18kB ab4.jpg - 22kB ab5.jpg - 23kB ab6.jpg - 23kB ab7.jpg - 20kB

ab8.jpg - 12kB
advrider
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 12-19-2017 at 07:11 PM

Quote: Originally posted by TMW  
Yes Bill Nichols first did it. When I zoom in on GE it follows mostly arroyos from LA Bay. Bajaseve did it a couple of years ago with a group and sent me the file.

Thanks for the info, any chance you would share the tracks? The ones I have I think cut across the dry lake bed and miss radiator pass trail? Not sure if the split is obvious or easy to miss? We are ridding that area in late March. Thanks
David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 12-19-2017 at 07:15 PM

Santa Rosalillita, maybe?
North of Nuevo Rosarito, where the San Borja (west) road meets Hwy. 1... and then a wide paved road to the coast, at the failed marina project 'Escalera Nautica' from a dozen years ago.
Montevideo is a grand place and the boojums are huge near there!
Thank you and keep it coming, please!

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

canoe4me

[*] posted on 12-19-2017 at 07:38 PM

Quote: Originally posted by David K  
Santa Rosalillita, maybe?
North of Nuevo Rosarito, where the San Borja (west) road meets Hwy. 1... and then a wide paved road to the coast, at the failed marina project 'Escalera Nautica' from a dozen years ago.
Montevideo is a grand place and the boojums are huge near there!
Thank you and keep it coming, please!

David, Santa Rosalillita is the place. Google maps lists it as Santa Rosalita but it was the longer name on the paper map.
David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 12-19-2017 at 08:28 PM

Yep, one of the places where there is more than one spelling. It was Santa Rosalía originally, but after the French used that name for their copper mine town, to avoid confusion the little Pacific bay changed to "Little Santa Rosalia" which is Rosalillita and alternately spelled (incorrectly) as Rosaliita.

canoe4me

[*] posted on 12-19-2017 at 08:54 PM

Day 8 Oasis Catavina

Feeling more than a little stiffed by our fears of the ocean we looked for alternative swimming holes. Prior google earth searches showed an interesting spot west of Gonzaga bay.

We camped at the end of the road in a wash and the next morning followed the tracks west up a beautiful winding granite wash with more palm trees and more evidence of water with each bend.

The hike was brutal, the first half was deep sand and the second half was over, under, and around huge boulders. I figure it was about 5 miles each way.

The swimming hole at the end was worth every step! Paradise! Other than a few bugs and frogs there seemed to be nothing that might eat or sting us in that water!! Our kind of place! We swam for an hour with lots of cliff jumping before it was time to head back.

We again drove in the dark back to San Felipe. I guess that if there is a road to drive in the dark, it's that one. We filled up on more tacos before another drive into the desert for a night among the cactus.

a01.jpg - 34kB a02.jpg - 29kB a03.jpg - 25kB a04.jpg - 26kB a05.jpg - 26kB a06.jpg - 34kB a07.jpg - 25kB a08.jpg - 29kB
ehall
Super Nomad

Mood: It's 5 o'clock somewhere

[*] posted on 12-20-2017 at 12:29 PM

What a great family vacation. Making memories the kids will never forget.
David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 12-20-2017 at 03:17 PM

Wonderful, you were just a couple miles from Mission Santa María!

The original El Camino Real was in that canyon but was too difficult for mules to transport people and supplies in. A new trail was made that stayed out of the canyon and went up on the north ridge when the Franciscans took over the missions in 1768.

Where the road from Hwy. 5 meets the sandy arroyo, just outside the canyon entrance, the new El Camino Real climbs out of the arroyo on the north side and enters a side valley from which it soon goes to the north rim of the canyon.

advrider
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 12-20-2017 at 07:08 PM

What a report and as others have said, lucky kids to have parents like you!
TMW
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 12-20-2017 at 08:18 PM

Quote: Originally posted by advrider  
Quote: Originally posted by TMW  

Thanks for the info, any chance you would share the tracks? The ones I have I think cut across the dry lake bed and miss radiator pass trail? Not sure if the split is obvious or easy to miss? We are ridding that area in late March. Thanks

Check your U2U.
TMW
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 12-20-2017 at 08:21 PM

Wow beautiful country and pictures, thanks.
TMW
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 12-20-2017 at 08:35 PM

Just a note should you go back to Baja. I don't remember ever having any problems with sting rays on the pacific side. I have caught them but never had a problem in the surf. Others on here can correct me if I'm wrong.

I remember one trip at LA Bay where we were snorkeling and there must have been a million near the beach.
canoe4me

[*] posted on 12-20-2017 at 11:31 PM

Day 9 THE END

On the last day we were feeling sad that our trip was almost over. We could have simply headed up Mex5 and taken the easy way out via Mexicali but...tacos. Our fascination with Baja started at Christmas time several years ago when all five of use were living cramped into a two bedroom apartment. My wife and I decided that travel seemed a better option for christmas presents rather than more toys to try and find a place for. Our budget was pretty tight but she found a cheap Carnival cruise out of Long Beach. She has a degree in finance and figured that it would be much cheaper to cruise than staying in hotels and eating in some random city. I reluctantly agreed to go along only because it was cheap. I'm not much of a cruiser.

When the cruise ship docked in Ensenada we walked off the ship and turned away from the tourist street and wandered the town. Suddenly a light from heaven shown down upon a lowly street taco stand. The glory of the tacos there shown round about but we were sore afraid. Will we die if we eat street tacos? We inched closer and there, wrapped in white waxed paper was breaded fish laid in a tortilla because there was no room for it in a bun. There were in the same tortilla, salsas and lime juice surrounded by shredded cabbage. With the first bite there was suddenly a heavenly host singing hosanna! Hosanna! Glory be to the Ensenada street fish taco! Our whole family was converted instantly and our kids baptized themselves with taco juice running down their shirts. We became Nomads at the intersection of Espinoza and Calle Quinta. Long Live Tacos Fenix!!

Yes, we drove 3 hours out of our way on route 3 and then waited another 4 hours to cross the border at TJ just for some street tacos. Now we are afraid that if we DON'T get street tacos we might die!!

Thanks for coming along on our (certainly not last) trip to Baja!!

aa.jpg - 59kB
David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 12-21-2017 at 09:11 AM

That is a fantastic story canoe4me... Thank you so much for sharing your Baja Joy with us here!

ehall
Super Nomad

Mood: It's 5 o'clock somewhere

[*] posted on 12-21-2017 at 12:33 PM

You do know you can get tacos in Mexicali right. LOL
woody with a view
PITA Nomad

Mood: Everchangin'

[*] posted on 12-21-2017 at 01:31 PM

Great trip and yes there are stingrays on both coasts.

Pages:  1  2  

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.