BajaNomad
Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Annual Christmas party POSADA for the teens!
BajaBlanca
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 12-17-2017 at 11:08 PM
Annual Christmas party POSADA for the teens!

Yesterday was the culmination of 6 months of serious preparation for the annual La Bocana Beca Blanca teen party. It went off so well. The kids were radiant!!

Of the 24 students, 7 were not able to come due to not being done with classes yet. Present were 17 students.

Here I am organizing the boxes outside on the patio - in front of each one was a laundry soap and dishwashing soap. On the top of each box was a special wrapped t-shirt which I buy in San Diego at the t-shirt mart. Inside each box are clothes, pens and pencils and markers and highliters as well as fun stuff for all.

rsz_la_posada_2017_006.jpg - 125kB

Here is a table we put together with school supplies:

rsz_la_posada_2017_012.jpg - 108kB

Last year they so liked the room with household stuff that I did a repeat this year...you should have seen their smiles!!

rsz_la_posada_2017_014.jpg - 116kB

and of course silverware

rsz_la_posada_2017_015.jpg - 119kB

Here they are getting ready to open gifts:

rsz_la_posada_2017_018.jpg - 115kB

Each one got a brand new t-shirt.

rsz_la_posada_2017_023.jpg - 117kB

and shorts - the boys get at least two each.

rsz_la_posada_2017_030.jpg - 104kB

and here they are coming out of the household goods room. Like I say, this was a hit!

rsz_la_posada_2017_066.jpg - 111kB

Come visit La Bocana

https://sites.google.com/view/bajabocanahotel/home

And always remember, life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by those moments that take our breath away.
BajaBlanca
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 12-17-2017 at 11:25 PM

We had lunch together - the local cooperative donated a leg of pork and also offered to cook it. It was so delicious! My neighbor Mary made a great broccoli salad as well as a pasta dish (tradition at this party now) and I made a cole slaw. For dessert I made brownies that Mary donated since I ran out, I made 2 chocolate cakes, I made a key lime pie.

yummmmmmmmmmmmmmm

rsz_la_posada_2017_092.jpg - 90kB

Thanks to each and every one of you that gave a supporting word, that was kind enough to bring down donations, that helped with cash for me to buy goodies, thanks (major thanks) to my Mom who does garage sales every single weekend ! She wheels and deals like no one else LOL. Thanks to the kind person who donated the English - Spanish dictionaries last year - each of the current high school seniors got one. Thanks to the donator who gave those incredible pens - they are so pretty. Thanks to those who brought pencils. I gave each one 10 pencils to last the whole year!

It was a grand day yesterday. I cannot tell you how happy I was to be able to meet with the kids. As we do every year, the future college students got to ask what college was going to be like and the older students gave their words of wisdom: don't procrastinate, learn how to cook, learn how to clean and mostly, focus on time management.

Martha told how she was so homesick at first. She also told everyone that she won first place last week with her pate project (competing with 70 other teams). Dayr told everyone to prepare to "suffer". Julian won three prizes with a project he did. Alexis explained his internship at El Boleo.

We focused on interview techniques, from how to shake a hand properly to what employers were looking for in an employee.

Here we are! MERRY CHRISTMAS, EVERYONE!

rsz_la_posada_2017_074.jpg - 110kB

Come visit La Bocana

And always remember, life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by those moments that take our breath away.
sd
Nomad

[*] posted on 12-18-2017 at 09:35 AM

Really nice what you and your helpers do for all the kids Blanca! And your Mom!!

Merry Christmas

Scot
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 12-18-2017 at 09:59 AM

Very nice Blanca!:bounce:

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

BajaTed
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 12-18-2017 at 11:49 AM

The Posada is the big annual get together for the scholarship fund in our community also. People getting real for other people

Rosy world of a fuzzy future:
Wouldn't it be great if there were a whole network of Baja Nomad supported scholarship funds for the whole length of Baja.
Geez, must be time for my meds

Es Todo Bueno
sancho
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 12-18-2017 at 03:35 PM

Blanca, You and Les got a shout out on a San Diego radio station
a few weeks back, a radio show that talks about Longs Range,
Baja Peninsula fishing, there's financial advisior guy from So.
Orange Co., who gives a No. Baja report, Rick Is his name, said
anyone passing thru La Bocana, stop in and see Blanca and Les

MMc
Super Nomad

Mood: Current

[*] posted on 12-18-2017 at 04:00 PM

Very cool, Merry Christmas to all.

"Never teach a pig to sing it frustrates you and annoys the pig" - W.C.Fields

BajaBlanca
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 12-18-2017 at 09:32 PM

We were mentioned on the radio??? I love it and YES, whether you stay with us or tent it or pass thru or stay at the cabaƱas, we love to meet folks!

It was an amazing xmas party amigos and those who were not present stopped by today and I had them write (just like all the rest wrote)

Some of the answers about WHAT DO YOU GIVE AS A TIP FOR NEW STS

1. learn all the English you can from Blanca (duh but I get it!!)
2. cook and learn more from your moms
3. do not procrastinate

The kids say they really enjoyed the get together. I always worry since I give a lot of blablabla. Only once a year and I have to dish it out fast!

(the joke in our house is bla bla blanca hahahah)

Tomorrow we leave for San Diego and I am so looking forward to seeing the family.

If anyone is interested - I have about 10 watches that need batteries and I think they would be nice gifts for next Christmas.

DID I REALLY MENTION THE NEXT PARTY FOR 2018? Someone commit me LOL

[Edited on 12-20-2017 by BajaBlanca]

Come visit La Bocana

freediverbrian
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 12-18-2017 at 09:41 PM

Quote: Originally posted by BajaTed  
The Posada is the big annual get together for the scholarship fund in our community also. People getting real for other people

Rosy world of a fuzzy future:
Wouldn't it be great if there were a whole network of Baja Nomad supported scholarship funds for the whole length of Baja.
Geez, must be time for my meds

No stay off the meds and keep talking!!!! Lots of us love give and need to where to give!

[Edited on 12-19-2017 by freediverbrian]
BajaBlanca
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 12-19-2017 at 08:03 PM

BajaTed

I must say: most ex-pats are somehow involved in their communities and this is amazingly beautiful. Our community really works with students to let them pay high school in installments because everyone knows everyone. I know that many of gringoes who live in other towns help high schoolers (I concentrate on the college students) because they don't have the help of the community.

We are very lucky in La Bocana to have school administrators who are there 100% for the kids. They have taken sports to a whole new level here .... teachers and directors and secretaries take kids to other towns to participate in sports activities. and I think this impetus started way back in the day when we started the bike club and the surf club and the skateboard club.

It rubbed off!

Come visit La Bocana

rdrrm8e
Nomad

[*] posted on 12-20-2017 at 08:03 PM

You are a fine person. You always improve the world around you.
BajaBlanca
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 12-20-2017 at 08:19 PM

:biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:

Merry Christmas! Thanks for the kind words all!

Come visit La Bocana

Cliffy
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 12-20-2017 at 11:37 PM

WAY COOL!

You chose your position in life today by what YOU did yesterday
BajaBlanca
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 12-21-2017 at 04:35 PM

:biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:

Come visit La Bocana

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.