BajaNomad
Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1    3
Author: Subject: Todos Santos, Pescadero/Cerritos, Loreto or Bahía concepcion for retirement - would love your opinion f
rts551
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 1-3-2018 at 08:28 AM

Quote: Originally posted by willardguy  
I think Shari and Blanca have the answer....;)

These places lack the big city atmosphere and are not "cool" enough.
rts551
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 1-3-2018 at 08:32 AM

Quote: Originally posted by BajaBlanca  
boy oh boy, there is some excellent advice above.

Do you plan to homeschool? Or maybe put your child into a Mexican school? At his age he will be fluent in no time. I do recommend speaking only English at home so that he doesn't forget it.

Please heed the advice to rent rather than buy now. Trust me, we have all been around the block and have seen folks buy and one month later want to move on. You never ever really know a place until you have been there a while. I personally think 2 years isn't even enough. Rent. First. There will always be properties at a good price! People's needs change and presto presto, a great deal comes on the market.

I also recommend trying out Bahia Asuncion - so many wonderful folks and a great mix of mex and amer If your child gets hurt, YOU WANT A MEDICAL FACILITY and G Negro has it. Stay away from Santa Rosalia.

Where we live is fantastic but there are no American children, we are only 8 full timers and a handful of those who come a couple times a year. However, we have a huge supermarket which even supplies odd things like xmas trees in December! I asked for pretzels 2 weeks ago, and bingo, pretzels were on the shelf 3 days later. Priceless.

Blanca,"large supermarket" must be a REALTIVE TERM...Lol.
anapurna

[*] posted on 1-9-2018 at 09:52 AM

Hi Paul,

Yes, I am looking for more information about people's personal experience in certain areas, not for telling me where to go per se. I've gotten mostly useful information and folks have messaged me about their experiences so thanks for getting the purpose of my post;)

Quote: Originally posted by pauldavidmena  
I don't think the OP is indecisive as much as in need of more information. Nomads who have made the move can fill in the gaps with their own experience, but ultimately she is going to have to gather the most pertinent data by being in Baja and experiencing it in multiple places and in all seasons.

I do think that Todos Santos strikes a balance between Mexican authenticity and the things that make American expats comfortable. That's not to say that the balance won't shift over time, which often seems to be the case.

[Edited on 12-29-2017 by pauldavidmena]
anapurna

[*] posted on 1-9-2018 at 09:58 AM

Excellent point about the recession - right now the dollar is much stronger in mexico than it was 7-8 years ago, so when I've looked at places in being sold in pesos its much more reasonable that what people bought them for. There seems to be lots of places for sale by people who bought them for too much to begin with, so they're asking a ridiculous price. But the land being sold by people who bought before the boom seem to be more reasonable...

This is more off-topic but it seems the dollar may get weaker in Mexico in the future...but I'm no economist and certainly won't make the decision just based on that. But it's a good thought.

Quote: Originally posted by bajaric  
Regarding the best place to live, my experience with Baja Sur is limited. A loooong time ago spent a few days in a little rustic beach house near La Paz, in August. The snorkeling was amazing, dorado were cavorting just offshore, and the air temperature and the water temperature were both around 90 degrees F. Even laying on a cot outside with no sheets it was too hot to sleep; after a couple days the only thing we were interested in was air conditioning. Same trip stayed at Cabo, temp was better, camped on beach back when you could do that.
Regarding the rest its not clear if you intend to move there now and live there full time, or continue to work in the US. If you are thinking to buy now and retire later I don't really see any rush. Real estate is usually a much better investment if you acquire property during the depths of a recession rather than the tail end of a long economic expansion. Wait for the next crash while you are staring at snow drifts and dreaming of warm sand between your toes, if you can stand it, and maybe get a lot more for your money when the cycle turns. To maintain a vacant property that is several thousand miles away from where you live and work is problematic. You may find yourself dealing with the increasingly popular summer tradition of "stealing the solar system from the vacant rich gringo house". best of luck in whatever you decide.
anapurna

[*] posted on 1-9-2018 at 09:59 AM

Quote: Originally posted by shari  
Lots of diverse advice here for you to peruse. Each person has their own vision of paradise & tolerance level for heat and dudes...hahaha.
I knew I wanted to live in latin america and looked in many countries and many parts of Mexico.

Really hard to decide but like you, I had my list of priorities which included livable year round climate, work possibilities, school for my toddler daughter, safety, pristine beaches, affordable place on the water. I found countries like Costa Rica, Ecuador, Panama were too far away for people to visit so Mexico was a better choice.

...So my best advice is cover alot of ground, stay places for weeks at a time, talk to people, take your time and your paradise will reveal itself to you!

Yes, similar priorities indeed and I will heed that advice! I tend to be impatient so it's good to remember it will reveal itself ;)
 Pages:  1    3

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.