BajaNomad
Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  2  
Author: Subject: Todos Santos, Pescadero/Cerritos, Loreto or Bahía concepcion for retirement - would love your opinion f
pauldavidmena
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 12-28-2017 at 06:55 AM

I'm 58 and a few years away from retiring. About a year ago my wife and I found a house in El Pescadero that would have been perfect but we ultimately couldn't pull the proverbial trigger.

Goat's admonition about buying within three hours of home is a wise one. Living over 3000 miles away meant that we'd only be able to make the trip once or twice a year, and for only a week or two at a time. My wife owns her own business and is able to work remotely, but my job requires me in the office most of the time. All of these limitations caused us to take a more cautious approach.

It seems that you've structured your work lives a bit differently and are able to take this step now instead of later. I would heed the advice about renting before buying, even if it means a slight delay in your plans. I also agree that one needs to be very cautious purchasing property in Mexico as a foreigner and should adjust one's expectations accordingly.

If we haven't scared you away yet, go for it - and enjoy the ride!

Visit my Dreams of Pescadero blog:
http://dreamsofpescadero.wordpress.com/
Alm
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 12-28-2017 at 04:41 PM

You don't know whether you'll live there all year round or winters only.
You are "considering" places like P. Chivato before ever going there.
You think at 44 and healthy you don't need to be close to medical facilities - I wish you all the best. There are many sudden conditions that don't ask how young you are.

If you have couple hundred grand to spare and itching to buy, - toss a coin.
I'm serious. You won't be able to make an informed decision that would hold up to the test of time 30 years down the road, and it doesn't look like you're trying hard to make one now. Go there (wherever you think is good for you). Rent something. Review your plans in a year or two.

Edit-PS: one more thing. I suggest including your husband in the decision-making process. You'll be surprised how differently he might view these things :)

[Edited on 12-28-2017 by Alm]
BajaBlanca
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 12-28-2017 at 04:44 PM

boy oh boy, there is some excellent advice above.

Do you plan to homeschool? Or maybe put your child into a Mexican school? At his age he will be fluent in no time. I do recommend speaking only English at home so that he doesn't forget it.

Please heed the advice to rent rather than buy now. Trust me, we have all been around the block and have seen folks buy and one month later want to move on. You never ever really know a place until you have been there a while. I personally think 2 years isn't even enough. Rent. First. There will always be properties at a good price! People's needs change and presto presto, a great deal comes on the market.

I also recommend trying out Bahia Asuncion - so many wonderful folks and a great mix of mex and amer If your child gets hurt, YOU WANT A MEDICAL FACILITY and G Negro has it. Stay away from Santa Rosalia.

Where we live is fantastic but there are no American children, we are only 8 full timers and a handful of those who come a couple times a year. However, we have a huge supermarket which even supplies odd things like xmas trees in December! I asked for pretzels 2 weeks ago, and bingo, pretzels were on the shelf 3 days later. Priceless.

Come visit La Bocana

https://sites.google.com/view/bajabocanahotel/home

And always remember, life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by those moments that take our breath away.
Alm
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 12-28-2017 at 04:53 PM

I think both Sta Rosalia and GN have hospitals designated as "periferico". Which means - don't expect much ;)...
bezzell
Nomad

[*] posted on 12-28-2017 at 05:09 PM

East Cape.
next

(too hot for 4 months?? omfg some folks have zero clue)
bajabuddha
Banned

Mood: Always cranky unless medicated

[*] posted on 12-28-2017 at 05:13 PM

I've had a few dealings with the Sta Rosalia medical community, including the army base Dr's, and it's good for small urgent/emergent care, but I wouldn't wanna have anything serious to deal with there. Same goes with Loreto. Guerrero I dunno nuthin' about. If you're moving to Baja and have serious issues to worry about, La Paz is the place to be nearer to... or Ensenada.

I don't have a BUCKET LIST, but I do have a F***- IT LIST a mile long!

86 - 45*

Lee
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 12-28-2017 at 05:32 PM

Quote: Originally posted by bajabuddha  
If you're moving to Baja and have serious issues to worry about, La Paz is the place to be nearer to... or Ensenada.

If I had serious health issues I worried about, I'd be close to a US doctor and hospital. No problems with MX MD's. At least one MX hospital in Cabo is suspect. A MX neurologist treated my pneumonia in Todos last Spring -- his treatment and care was outstanding.

US Marines: providing enemies of America an opportunity to die for their country since 1775.

What I say before any important decision.
F*ck it.
anapurna

[*] posted on 12-28-2017 at 06:36 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Alm  
You think at 44 and healthy you don't need to be close to medical facilities - I wish you all the best. There are many sudden conditions that don't ask how young you are.

I'm serious. You won't be able to make an informed decision that would hold up to the test of time 30 years down the road, and it doesn't look like you're trying hard to make one now. Go there (wherever you think is good for you). Rent something. Review your plans in a year or two.

Edit-PS: one more thing. I suggest including your husband in the decision-making process. You'll be surprised how differently he might view these things :)

Wow...did you even read my post in its entirety or just get the itch to be rude? I did ask about the factor of medical facilities, I HAVE been to Punta Chivato but just don't know the community well there re:kids. I work in an ER as a nurse and a nurse practitioner and have worked in refugee camps in Africa and in the bush in Alaska and as a climbing guide all voer the world involved in medical evacuations so am very well aware of "sudden conditions" at any age (sorry if I didn't send my CV to you). If I made all my decisions based purely on if I was near a medical facility I wouldn't have filled two passports in 20 years. It is one of many important issues to consider. I said I would not know what I wanted 30 years from now but you seemed to have skipped that part too. I never said I was not going to rent or that I have not spent considerable time in Bahia Concepcion where I was considering (I had guided there for years with Outward Bound). I was asking for advice on other people's experiences, not for some guy to tell me to consult my husband. I will be paying for this land myself and we have discussed here but I didn't think to mention that I consulted my husband on a forum based in America.

If you have some actual support to give to someone who loves baja and wants to spend more time here and thought this would be a great place to ask for advice, I'll read your next post. Otherwise I'll skip it.
4x4abc
Ultra Nomad

Mood: happy - always

[*] posted on 12-28-2017 at 06:58 PM

wow - some advice with life experience is rude?

Bottom line is that you can't make up your mind. We can't do that for you, but throw in a few words of wisdom. I know, that was probably rude as well.

With that in mind, try Todos Santos. Plenty of shrinks around.

Harald Pietschmann
Alm
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 12-28-2017 at 08:57 PM

Quote: Originally posted by 4x4abc  

Bottom line is that you can't make up your mind.

Priorities are in disarray, requirements are unclear. Random decision will probably be made. Can't be helped, IMO.
mtgoat666
Select Nomad

Mood: Hot n spicy

[*] posted on 12-28-2017 at 09:54 PM

Quote: Originally posted by anapurna  
Quote: Originally posted by Alm  

Wow...did you even read my post in its entirety or just get the itch to be rude? I did ask about the factor of medical facilities, I HAVE been to Punta Chivato but just don't know the community well there re:kids. I work in an ER as a nurse and a nurse practitioner and have worked in refugee camps in Africa and in the bush in Alaska and as a climbing guide all voer the world involved in medical evacuations so am very well aware of "sudden conditions" at any age (sorry if I didn't send my CV to you). If I made all my decisions based purely on if I was near a medical facility I wouldn't have filled two passports in 20 years. It is one of many important issues to consider. I said I would not know what I wanted 30 years from now but you seemed to have skipped that part too. I never said I was not going to rent or that I have not spent considerable time in Bahia Concepcion where I was considering (I had guided there for years with Outward Bound). I was asking for advice on other people's experiences, not for some guy to tell me to consult my husband. I will be paying for this land myself and we have discussed here but I didn't think to mention that I consulted my husband on a forum based in America.

If you have some actual support to give to someone who loves baja and wants to spend more time here and thought this would be a great place to ask for advice, I'll read your next post. Otherwise I'll skip it.

take a chill pill! Crikey! You want hand-holding-advice and a support group, we’ll, just say so, perhaps someone can refer you to such a website.

Woke!

“...ask not what your country can do for you – ask what you can do for your country.” “My fellow citizens of the world: ask not what America will do for you, but what together we can do for the freedom of man.”

Prefered gender pronoun: the royal we

Alm
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 12-28-2017 at 09:55 PM

Quote: Originally posted by anapurna  
... I HAVE been to Punta Chivato

People can't read your mind. No need to yell, this doesn't usually help.
pauldavidmena
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 12-29-2017 at 06:10 AM

I don't think the OP is indecisive as much as in need of more information. Nomads who have made the move can fill in the gaps with their own experience, but ultimately she is going to have to gather the most pertinent data by being in Baja and experiencing it in multiple places and in all seasons.

I do think that Todos Santos strikes a balance between Mexican authenticity and the things that make American expats comfortable. That's not to say that the balance won't shift over time, which often seems to be the case.

[Edited on 12-29-2017 by pauldavidmena]

Visit my Dreams of Pescadero blog:
http://dreamsofpescadero.wordpress.com/
8knots
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 12-29-2017 at 07:05 AM

It was an interesting discussion until the sanctimonious, all knowing trogs blessed us with their biting wisdom. It is just a discussion....no need to eviscerate a light hearted discussion. Achieves nothing.
LancairDriver
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 12-29-2017 at 09:58 AM

Quote: Originally posted by 8knots  
It was an interesting discussion until the sanctimonious, all knowing trogs blessed us with their biting wisdom. It is just a discussion....no need to eviscerate a light hearted discussion. Achieves nothing.

Well said. It is impossible to estimate how many future contributors have been turned off to this forum by the same few who always turn an honest request for information into sarcastic blathering. Good for those who share their experience in a helpful, courteous manner.
Special Ed

[*] posted on 12-29-2017 at 10:53 AM

^^^
this
baja gatekeeping
bajaric
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 12-29-2017 at 11:45 AM

Regarding the best place to live, my experience with Baja Sur is limited. A loooong time ago spent a few days in a little rustic beach house near La Paz, in August. The snorkeling was amazing, dorado were cavorting just offshore, and the air temperature and the water temperature were both around 90 degrees F. Even laying on a cot outside with no sheets it was too hot to sleep; after a couple days the only thing we were interested in was air conditioning. Same trip stayed at Cabo, temp was better, camped on beach back when you could do that.
Regarding the rest its not clear if you intend to move there now and live there full time, or continue to work in the US. If you are thinking to buy now and retire later I don't really see any rush. Real estate is usually a much better investment if you acquire property during the depths of a recession rather than the tail end of a long economic expansion. Wait for the next crash while you are staring at snow drifts and dreaming of warm sand between your toes, if you can stand it, and maybe get a lot more for your money when the cycle turns. To maintain a vacant property that is several thousand miles away from where you live and work is problematic. You may find yourself dealing with the increasingly popular summer tradition of "stealing the solar system from the vacant rich gringo house". best of luck in whatever you decide.
BigBearRider
Super Nomad

Mood: :)

[*] posted on 12-30-2017 at 07:12 AM

Quote: Originally posted by bajaric  
Regarding the best place to live, my experience with Baja Sur is limited. A loooong time ago spent a few days in a little rustic beach house near La Paz, in August. The snorkeling was amazing, dorado were cavorting just offshore, and the air temperature and the water temperature were both around 90 degrees F. Even laying on a cot outside with no sheets it was too hot to sleep; after a couple days the only thing we were interested in was air conditioning. Same trip stayed at Cabo, temp was better, camped on beach back when you could do that.
Regarding the rest its not clear if you intend to move there now and live there full time, or continue to work in the US. If you are thinking to buy now and retire later I don't really see any rush. Real estate is usually a much better investment if you acquire property during the depths of a recession rather than the tail end of a long economic expansion. Wait for the next crash while you are staring at snow drifts and dreaming of warm sand between your toes, if you can stand it, and maybe get a lot more for your money when the cycle turns. To maintain a vacant property that is several thousand miles away from where you live and work is problematic. You may find yourself dealing with the increasingly popular summer tradition of "stealing the solar system from the vacant rich gringo house". best of luck in whatever you decide.

Excellent point about buying during crashes.
shari
Select Nomad

Mood: there is no reality except the one contained within us "Herman Hesse"

[*] posted on 12-30-2017 at 07:57 AM

Lots of diverse advice here for you to peruse. Each person has their own vision of paradise & tolerance level for heat and dudes...hahaha.
I knew I wanted to live in latin america and looked in many countries and many parts of Mexico.

Really hard to decide but like you, I had my list of priorities which included livable year round climate, work possibilities, school for my toddler daughter, safety, pristine beaches, affordable place on the water. I found countries like Costa Rica, Ecuador, Panama were too far away for people to visit so Mexico was a better choice.

I camped all over Mexico and lived in Guerrero Negro for 9 years as I had a job there. When a friend brought me out to Bahia Asuncion, I KNEW I found my paradise in the first 2 minutes I set foot on the rock at the blowhole....where I now live!

I just knew it was right...and it is. So my best advice is cover alot of ground, stay places for weeks at a time, talk to people, take your time and your paradise will reveal itself to you!

for info & pics of our little paradise & whale watching info
http://www.bahiaasuncion.com/
https://www.whalemagictours.com/
surabi
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 1-2-2018 at 08:10 PM

Anapurna- yes, there seem to be a lot of bored, snarky old men on this forum who think they are clever and funny- just ignore them.
 Pages:  1  2  

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.