Printable Version  
 Pages:  1    3    5
Author: Subject: Creating Custom Maps II: Baja California Sur
Udo
Elite Nomad

Mood: TEQUILA!

[*] posted on 1-1-2018 at 10:46 AM

Happiest of New Year's David!

I wanted to thank you for the designation of 4WD on your custom maps. It really helps in determining future adventure in the off-road challenges of Baja.

Udo

Youth is wasted on the young!

David K
Honored Nomad

Member Is Online

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 1-1-2018 at 11:05 AM

Happy New Year to you too!

While I would probably recommend everyone have a 4WD vehicle who leaves the pavement in Baja, the reality that in dry weather one rarely NEEDS 4WD to travel most dirt roads.

I will put 4WD next to roads that had places where 4WD made the drive either possible or a whole lot safer. In some cases the extra ground clearance of a 4WD is needed because of rocks or ruts, but not the traction.

Obviously, a bulldozer or grader can make a bad 4WD road passable in 2WD or a flash flood can make a good graded road need 4WD. So, these are suggestions or recommendations. Driving skill has a whole lot to do with needing 4WD or ground clearance.

I am sure glad to hear from Nomads as I can taylor these maps based on your comments.

I bet I will eventually add mileages to them. Not necessarily for the guidebook but for posts on Nomad.

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

4x4abc
Ultra Nomad

Member Is Online

Mood: happy - always

[*] posted on 1-1-2018 at 11:30 AM

what is K37 for?

Harald Pietschmann
mtgoat666
Select Nomad

Mood: Hot n spicy

[*] posted on 1-1-2018 at 11:40 AM

Quote: Originally posted by David K  
Happy New Year to you too!

While I would probably recommend everyone have a 4WD vehicle who leaves the pavement in Baja, the reality that in dry weather one rarely NEEDS 4WD to travel most dirt roads.

I will put 4WD next to roads that had places where 4WD made the drive either possible or a whole lot safer. In some cases the extra ground clearance of a 4WD is needed because of rocks or ruts, but not the traction.

Obviously, a bulldozer or grader can make a bad 4WD road passable in 2WD or a flash flood can make a good graded road need 4WD. So, these are suggestions or recommendations. Driving skill has a whole lot to do with needing 4WD or ground clearance.

I am sure glad to hear from Nomads as I can taylor these maps based on your comments.

I bet I will eventually add mileages to them. Not necessarily for the guidebook but for posts on Nomad.

Dk,
The most common way to draw maps is to use different line types for road type.
For conventional line types, see forest service maps.
You may be better off with 3 line types: paved, unpaved/maintained, unpaved/not maintained.

Woke!

“...ask not what your country can do for you – ask what you can do for your country.” “My fellow citizens of the world: ask not what America will do for you, but what together we can do for the freedom of man.”

Prefered gender pronoun: the royal we

David K
Honored Nomad

Member Is Online

[*] posted on 1-1-2018 at 02:02 PM

Quote: Originally posted by 4x4abc  
what is K37 for?

It is where the highway crosses Arroyo La Purísima... that is in the road log and showing it on the map helps see the direction the kilometer markers are running on that road, if just glancing at the map.

Again, the maps are connected to the road logs in the guide... so I know they may not be totally clear when looked at without the guide text. I am only putting the actual kilometer points on the map, so you will see that marker when you pass that point. Many of the points in the road log are between kilometer markers. If I have a marker for that point on the map, it will be a whole number and put just above or below the map point.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Mtgoat666:
Yes, I would love to show three or more road types. I did try to do that on my earlier ones and if the road is being paved, I show it as two parallel lines (see the road to La Bocana from Abreojos, for example).

However, the choices I have do make that VERY difficult to do. One problem is the Arc base map only has the one single line for me to trace over satellite images of roads I want to show. Only Hwy. 1 is on the base map. All other paved or dirt roads, I need to trace over then I switch the base map from satellite to the one you see above that shows the mountains, etc.

When I paste the base map over to Word to add everything else, I need to redraw over the paved roads (other than Hwy. 1) and adjust the color and width. If I want parallel lines for dirt roads or dashed lines for poor roads, then the trace line drawn on Arc is also there and a real mess to try and draw over or erase with a color the same as the map surface. To not draw in the roads on the base map would mean roads I add over on Word may not be exactly placed right and I would have to switch back and forth between windows to try and draw in the road where it is. I did that on the road to Mission Santa María, and that was no fun to do!

Ideally: solid thick black lines for paved roads, parallel thin lines for dirt roads, cross lines inside the parallel lines for graded roads, dashed parallel lines for poor roads.
Until I learn how to do that, the guide will describe the roads... beyond where I put 4WD on the map in a few places.
Thank you for the observations.

[Edited on 1-1-2018 by David K]

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

David K
Honored Nomad

Member Is Online

[*] posted on 1-1-2018 at 06:04 PM
Today's Work

After I made this, I noticed I forgot to include a gas pump icon by Mulegé. If you guys see anything else that needs addressing, I won't do the add-on until later... Thank you!

David K
Honored Nomad

Member Is Online

[*] posted on 1-1-2018 at 07:20 PM

Here's a revised map I had made early on, of the roads to the missions and beyond from Cd. Constitución to San Evaristo...

I decided to thicken up Highway 1 and make it black to stand out from the base version.

MulegeAL
Nomad

[*] posted on 1-2-2018 at 09:02 AM

Quote: Originally posted by David K  

After I made this, I noticed I forgot to include a gas pump icon by Mulegé. If you guys see anything else that needs addressing, I won't do the add-on until later... Thank you!

DK,
Happy New Map!

The green line going south (towards Paso Hondo) where you show the 4WD symbol: that section is impassible, not even "dotted green line". The destroyed section starts at the bottom of the Chuparossa canyon on the north side of the pass and continues up almost to the pass.

I went up there, walked up a half mile beyond where I could barely climb with my good bike. The local rancho guys park at the corral at the bottom and ride in with mules, walking them through the worst sections. Had tailgate Nescafé with them and discussed the area.

The next pass to the south is also impassible, the one just north of rancho Guajademi. I haven't seen that myself for 3 seasons, but I have no reason to doubt the advice of local rancho guys.

Suggest milage be suffixed as "MM" >> Mexico Miles! They are way longer than USA miles!
David K
Honored Nomad

Member Is Online

[*] posted on 1-2-2018 at 10:13 AM

Good morning Al,
Thanks for that. I thought Kurt G drove his Explorer over it not too long ago?

EDIT: His trip was in 2012. The rains of 2014 and after sure did a number on the roads, such as the one from San Jose de Magdalena up to Mission Guadalupe.

So, the road south of La Trinidad where it climbs the mountain is gone and not likely to be fixed anytime soon, eh?

Kurt's Trip on that road (I added some extra spacing):

Trip Report/road log San Isidro-Mulege Mountain Route 3/22/2012

For reference our vehicle is a 2000 Explorer stock Bauer Ed. with 255/70/16 Michelin street tires run at about 22#.

The report is a mileage log and includes GPS data and elevation for key points. The log is as accurate as Garmin and Ford's odometer could provide.

Mile Zero is starting North from San Isidro at 26.12.866x112.01.577.
Excellent road to Purisima Vieja at mile 12.3 then to Paso Hondo at mile 15.4. Both are oasis villages with some great scenery.

Mile 17.8-Springs and ponds on left.
Mile 18.3-Small village.
Mile 21.2-water crossing/palms and on to Buenos Aires at mile 25.9.
Mile 29.1-Agua Grande
Mile 32.2. 26.32.962x112.06.834. Elev.2100. Sign: El Llano straight, Guajadami to the right. Go straight.

From here the road is steep and rocky with a lot of erosion. Low range used to the top of high plateau at Mile 36.7. Elev. 3350 at 26.35.899x112.07.222.

Mile 37. Incredible views of deep gorge on right. Continue to climb to:
Mile 39.1. 26.37.146x112.06.743. Elev. 3765. High point overlooking the broad expanse of El Llano below. This is where the road ended when I attempted this route some 15 years ago. The descending cuesta was the most difficult of the entire trip. Steep, sometimes narrow and off camber and rough eroded rock with lots of loose stuff. This is an area to use extreme caution. We crept down in low range, 1st gear to arrive in the flats of El Llano at:

Mile 40.6. 26.37.786x112.07.153. Elev. 2616. At this point we met a rancher with a Ford F350 4wd and a cattle rack who had 3-4 cattle loaded. We told him we were going to Mulege and he said he was as well. That gave us a better feeling about actually completing the trip since I didn't feel we could climb back up that previous cuesta or at least really didn't want to attempt it. He confirmed that that plateau is El Llano. As we started up the next grade we saw him starting behind us. A rough ride for those cows! The road continues up and down a bit before a gate at the top of the final cuesta at:

Mile 43.1. 26.39.029x112.08.07. Elev. 3429. Now down the cuesta, steep and rough but not nearly as bad as the earlier one. There has been traffic up and down this area since we were on it and turned back a few months ago. I think we could now go up this one ok.

Mile 46.2. 26.40.320x112.07.130. elev. 1346. This position is right by the ranch at the bottom of the cuesta. Rancho El Llanito, I believe. It is relatively new. This is the important coordinate for anyone doing this trip north to south since it is not shown on the maps and in my experience the Baja Atlas and other maps are only an approximation of the roads in this area. From this point you are on the road that goes straight to Mulege.

There are occasional roads that come in from both side notably at Mile 50.8 which has a sign pointing to Rcho El Llanito. I believe the other fork here leads to the area of El Potrero and El Batiqui and the appropriately named Pia de la Cuesta Guajadami. I have motorcycled in that area but not since the hurricanes changed some of the roads a few years ago. Note that I have not called this the Guajadami Road since it splits off from the old mission route and is generally to the west of it. Continue straight into Mulege arriving at Hwy 1 (icehouse road junction) at MILE 67.3. This trip took about 6 hours so an average speed of about 10 mph. Thanks to Mulegena for the trip report on Baja Nomads that inspired us to do this trip. The scenery was wonderful although I would still rank the San Juan de la Pila road as the slightly more spectacular but I am really splitting hairs on that call. Do them both and tell me what you think!
Kurt and Kathy, March 22, 2012

I blotted out the road up the mountain and beyond...

[Edited on 1-2-2018 by David K]

MulegeAL
Nomad

[*] posted on 1-2-2018 at 05:12 PM

DK,
Thanks for posting up that old report, brings back memories (good and bad!)

2012 is before Hurc Paul did that road in for good. I did it with my neighbor about that time, last time I have done the whole route, S to N.

There used to be a Ford pickup in the valley there, and that screws with my head. I think it was left there, or there is another way in and out that I do not know of.

It's so near, yet so far, hence my interest in getting back in there before (or when) I die! And there are other interesting places there that are worth a day hike with a machete to access.

I am thinking access may be possible from the south, but it will be a project to get in there and north past rancho Guajadami.
David K
Honored Nomad

Member Is Online

[*] posted on 1-2-2018 at 06:28 PM

Did my edit of the map meet with your approval to show the road not going through? I very much appreciate the feedback. I have made 3 base maps to cover La Paz to Cabo, so I will soon have those ready. Not sure if I need more of Baja Sur illustrated in maps, but they would be San Ignacio to near Punta Chivato, Loreto to Cd. Constitucion, Mag Bay. Stay tuned!

KurtG
Super Nomad

Mood: Press On Regardless!!

[*] posted on 1-2-2018 at 08:26 PM

David,
Fun to see that trip report from almost 6 years ago. It is spectacular country back there and I am glad we were able to take advantage of the short time that the road was doable, at least for our rig. There were a couple of times that I had doubts about being on that route by ourselves but it worked out. That old Explorer is still going strong at over 300k miles and will be back in Baja Sur in a couple of months.
Kurt

edit: David, I have good pics of that trip. If you would like to see/use them I can put them on disc or a thumb drive and send them to you.

[Edited on 1-3-2018 by KurtG]
MulegeAL
Nomad

[*] posted on 1-3-2018 at 08:34 AM

DK,
Your edit looks good to me! The sign/junction mentioned in Kurt's report at mile 32.2 is likely as far as one can get these days, and a fair ending for your map. Maybe a bit farther, or off to the east to the rancho Guajademi. That may be more detail than you want to show.

Too bad, as the canyon view he mentions farther up at m37 is spectacular.

I went back into my files. Last time I was at that junction was Feb 15, 2014, and we went all the way through back to Mulege. The grades at the passes were very difficult and eroded. We had serious brake problems on my pal's buggy going down. That was over a year after hurricane Paul. So it was the next hurricane that took out the passes.

Hope to get back in there this year and "find the end of the road."
David K
Honored Nomad

Member Is Online

[*] posted on 1-3-2018 at 12:44 PM

Great to hear, Al...
Hi Kurt, thanks for your popping in!
If the road is not passable it may be a cruel tease to show the photos? LOL

I have maps to work on for the Baja Bound Road Guide... so that will keep me occupied for a bit... just taking a break!

4x4abc
Ultra Nomad

Member Is Online

[*] posted on 1-4-2018 at 01:08 PM

El Califia = Califin

Los Divasaderos = Los Divisaderos

Ensenada de los Muertos = Ensenada de los Sueños

El Magote = El Mogote

Harald Pietschmann
David K
Honored Nomad

Member Is Online

[*] posted on 1-4-2018 at 04:03 PM

Great Harald... thank you!
I got an email from Rob with many of those comments. Mogote spelling was indeed my error! I used my ears and not my eyes!

As for Divisaderos, that is the historic (1962) and current (2009) Almanac and last (2010) AAA spelling. So, a typo I will fix!

Califin, got it! That is what my notes say, too.

Los Sueños is a marketing name. Los Muertos is the historic name and I am the history nut... There was nothing much of interest at the Los Sueños site... all the action was at the boat landing, restaurant, and the old ore loading dock of Ensenada de los Muertos.

Thank you!!

[Edited on 1-4-2018 by David K]

4x4abc
Ultra Nomad

Member Is Online

[*] posted on 1-4-2018 at 04:09 PM

what is the base software you use for your maps (the landscape background)?

Harald Pietschmann
David K
Honored Nomad

Member Is Online

[*] posted on 1-4-2018 at 04:19 PM
La Paz Area with edits, thanks to rob and 4x4abc

David K
Honored Nomad

Member Is Online

[*] posted on 1-4-2018 at 04:36 PM

Quote: Originally posted by 4x4abc  
what is the base software you use for your maps (the landscape background)?

Earlier (in the How to make maps 101 thread) I showed all the steps and even named the mapping website I get the base (terrain) map from.

Here again, are the steps I have been doing... takes me about a day per map, depends on the amount of detail...

Step 1 is to pick a region of Baja. So far, I have done two scales as you can see from the scale bars on the maps. One is 6 km. bar and allows better detail if many roads or points are in the area of interest. The other is 10 km. and can cover from Pacific to Cortez or larger areas of Baja. This is the scale I am doing more at.

The next map I will make will be from the bottom of my previous one, approx. Punta Rosarito on the Pacific and Pancho's San Rafael, on the gulf south to the state border.

Here is the base map at 10 km. scale and basically it gives you the coastline, mountains, and Highway 1, almost nothing else. Maps are all oriented with north at the top, but I add a compass rose because I think it is cool to have one on a map.

This is my base map, without enhancement, everything else you will see I add to it. I cropped the bottom of it at the state border and I removed a small toolbar for changing the size of the map by coloring over it, if you have good color vision, you may see the slightly different shade of blue in the upper left corner:

So, besides topography and the ocean/gulf only Highway 1 is shown and the state name along the border.

STEP 2
Add in the roads I want to show. These are roads I traveled this year that are being included in the Guide (exception is the Valle La Bocana road). Other than Highway 1, all the roads are hand drawn in traced from the satellite image. The base map can be switched from the Road map to Satellite image, then a pencil or line tool allows one to draw in the roads desired.

Next step (after a break, as I am exhausted and hungry) will be to add in icons for highway signs, gas pumps, airports, missions, the compass and scale bar. I also then add in the place names and small black squares or circles for places on the map.

STEP 3: Add most of the rest! Names, Symbols, Icons, I even added a road I forget to earlier (to La Unión). I think I just need to add Km. markers along Hwy. 1 and then enhance the image...

STEP 4: Add in the kilometer markers at the desired locations. Again, these additions are all done in Word. The text is added in using the Text Box: Draw Text Box choice. The font size is adjusted if needed and generally, I make the font bold to be easier to read. For terrain/ocean names I use a different font. The whole idea is to customize to fit the map.
Besides adding the km. marker points, I also noticed I needed to add a road out to the old Laguna Guerrero Negro salt dock.
Finally, I enhance the map colors in my Photobucket hosting Photo Editing feature.

I can always go back to the map, saved in Word, and add more.

The steps from Word to Nomad are numerous and perhaps there is a better way. This just how I figured out how, so if you want to do the same, maybe it will help?

A) Get Base Map. I used ArcGIS and chose the base map "Streets" but flipped back to "Imagery" (satellite view) and edited with "Map Notes" to draw in roads. Once done, I use Print Screen (on the keyboard) and then Paint, Paste, Save... convert PNG to JPEG, Save. Then go to Documents, Pictures, Edit, Crop, Close File.

B) Open up Word and pick a blank sheet and the Insert, Picture (pick the maps I just saved in Pictures), and begin to add in icons, roads, text all using Insert (Pictures, Shapes, Text Box).

C) When done, click on the map, click Format, click Corrections and fine tune the map image, if needed. Have the map (on Word) as large as the window will allow without cutting the map off and then perform the Print/Paste operation again (Paint, Paste, Save... convert PNG to JPEG, Save. Then go to Documents, Pictures, Edit, Crop, Close File).

Anyway, that is my method (for now) and if you want to try and make maps to show, I hope this tutorial will be of assistance. Feel free to email or u2u me any questions.

[Edited on 1-5-2018 by David K]

advrider
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 1-4-2018 at 09:09 PM

Love these maps, I like them with the mileage like you did on the first one. What about just making the numbers smaller? Could these maps and the KM page that you made be pinned at the top of one of the pages to make it easier to find at a later date?
 Pages:  1    3    5

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.