Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  
Author: Subject: Rancho Meling
advrider
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 12-30-2017 at 08:56 AM
Rancho Meling

I will be on a ten day ride in March with about eight guys and was thinking we might stay here one night? I have stayed at Mikes several times but would like to try something different. I don't usually make reservations, but with eight guys I figured it might be best? Reservations always mean that you have to keep a schedule, not my style! Any feedback would be appreciated... :lol:
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 12-30-2017 at 09:25 AM

I was there to have a look and get some data a couple months ago. I presume you have the website? More in my Trip #7 report.
Look nice with a huge, beautiful dining room and immaculate kitchen.

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

sd
Nomad

[*] posted on 12-30-2017 at 10:22 AM

I have stayed many times. Yes, make reservations as the place is small. Meals are extra, and worth it. If you want something special for dinner ask them when making reservations. Dining room has massive fireplace, really nice.
Rooms have wood stoves. Worth your visit!
advrider
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 12-30-2017 at 12:44 PM

Cool, thanks for the info. I will look back at your trip report David. I tried their web site this morning but it wasn't coming up? I'll try again...
I assume that they would have room eight people?
David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 12-30-2017 at 02:29 PM

Quote: Originally posted by advrider  
Cool, thanks for the info. I will look back at your trip report David. I tried their web site this morning but it wasn't coming up? I'll try again...
I assume that they would have room eight people?

Here is what is in my road log:
Km. 49.5 A road right goes 0.9 mile, downhill to Rancho Meling (Rancho San José), a guest ranch offering hospitality to visitors for over a century. Rooms are $70, and camping is $10. The kitchen serves breakfast ($8), lunch ($10) and dinner ($15). Guests may arrive by private plane, using the 3,000-foot runway just east. www.ranchomeling.com
The paved observatory road drops into the Meling Ranch valley then steeply climbs from the east side.

Here was a recent Baja Bound article that included Meling Ranch: https://www.bajabound.com/bajaadventures/bajatravel/san_pedr...

Here are my Meling Photos from last October:

Entry (sorry the sun was in the wrong spot)

Dinining room

Rooms

Rooms look upon the pool

The old family ranch house

[Edited on 12-30-2017 by David K]

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

advrider
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 12-30-2017 at 02:36 PM

Thanks for the pictures, looks just like my kind of place! I will post up a trip report when I get back. Is El Coyote also a place to stay and eat? I know I have been by it but never stopped and looked.
ehall
Super Nomad

Mood: It's 5 o'clock somewhere

[*] posted on 12-30-2017 at 02:41 PM

Cool place. Stayed there many times. Food is great too. Coyote is great too I hear. Same family. Maybe BTR will post up. He stays there frequently.
David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 12-30-2017 at 02:49 PM

Thanks for the pictures, looks just like my kind of place! I will post up a trip report when I get back. Is El Coyote also a place to stay and eat? I know I have been by it but never stopped and looked.

YES!!! Excellent food and a nice camping area (as well as rooms). Meals included in room price (price is per person).

From the road log:
Km. 49 Road north to Rancho El Coyote, 4.9 miles. A guest ranch popular with dirt bike riders. Rooms include dinner and breakfast ($65/pp). A large grass camping area is here, with toilets and showers, $10/ night. An auto road from Rancho El Coyote to Mike’s Sky Rancho (12 miles) was badly damaged by heavy rains and reported impassable to most 4x4s in 2017.

Camping area

Swimming pool

Rooms

BajaNomad
Super Administrator
Thread Moved
12-30-2017 at 05:38 PM
advrider
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 12-31-2017 at 09:20 AM

Looking forward to your guide book, it will be nice to have on trips! Thanks for doing all of the work and posting your trip reports/research.
Vince
Nomad

[*] posted on 12-31-2017 at 03:27 PM

Love the Meling Ranch! It looks much the same, but updated nicely, since I first went there in 1954. Last visited in mid '90's and it's time to go again.
David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 12-31-2017 at 03:55 PM

Looking forward to your guide book, it will be nice to have on trips! Thanks for doing all of the work and posting your trip reports/research.

Very kind of you!
I understand the love and passion we have for Baja and compels me to keep working at it.

The guide is pretty much done (except for one area I didn't get to I would like to be in it)... It is just editing and fine-tuning it now so it reads well and is understandable. I write in a style that is sometimes not the best! Thank goodness for friends who have seen the m/s and offered suggestions.

Barry A.
Select Nomad

Mood: optimistic

[*] posted on 12-31-2017 at 06:17 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Vince  
Love the Meling Ranch! It looks much the same, but updated nicely, since I first went there in 1954. Last visited in mid '90's and it's time to go again.

Yep, me too, Vince. One of the most fun places to stay and eat at I have ever been. Looks pretty much the same in these pics. My wife keeps ribbing me to take her there-----it's her kind of place. My last time there was in the '60's but I remember it vividly to this day. The road flooded out and I was "stuck" there for several days, which was alright with me. LOL

David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 12-31-2017 at 06:41 PM

Well, it's 99% all paved now Barry... 30 miles from Mex. 1 and the last kilometer that is dirt is all downhill to the ranch... You can coast in!

El Coyote was pretty amazing with their kitchen, I must say! Only five miles from Meling, if Meling is full. The five dirt miles are not bad, either.

Barry A.
Select Nomad

Mood: optimistic

[*] posted on 12-31-2017 at 07:53 PM

Quote: Originally posted by David K  
Well, it's 99% all paved now Barry... 30 miles from Mex. 1 and the last kilometer that is dirt is all downhill to the ranch... You can coast in!

El Coyote was pretty amazing with their kitchen, I must say! Only five miles from Meling, if Meling is full. The five dirt miles are not bad, either.

Good to hear, David, but it won't be the "remote" place is use to be, I am afraid, with pavement that close. Interestingly, that "last kilometer that is all downhill" was the muddy-mess that kept anybody from leaving Meling Ranch back in the day when it rained hard. It was REALLY slick, and 2 wheel drive vehicles just slid all over the place with little to no progress up the hill, and the mud packed into the fenders like glue. LOL Those were the days of high adventure!!!!

willardguy
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 12-31-2017 at 08:45 PM

in november I was up there with a friend that was putting final touches on an offroad adventure he put together.....spent a couple hours, that was enough for me. but I can see how it could appeal to some :D
mtgoat666
Select Nomad

Member Is Online

Mood: Hot n spicy

[*] posted on 12-31-2017 at 09:13 PM

Quote: Originally posted by willardguy  
in november I was up there with a friend that was putting final touches on an offroad adventure he put together.....spent a couple hours, that was enough for me. but I can see how it could appeal to some :D

Willy,
Too rustic for you, eh.
I suppose you only stay at places with room service and spa.
You prima donnas crack me up

Woke!

“...ask not what your country can do for you – ask what you can do for your country.” “My fellow citizens of the world: ask not what America will do for you, but what together we can do for the freedom of man.”

Prefered gender pronoun: the royal we

willardguy
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 12-31-2017 at 09:27 PM

Quote: Originally posted by mtgoat666  

Willy,
Too rustic for you, eh.

im not going to qualify that idiotic reply.....god you're an azzhole :no:
del mar
Banned

Mood: lil' fuzzy

[*] posted on 12-31-2017 at 09:50 PM

never stayed there but took a looksee on the way up to the park, amazing how well groomed they keep it! is there riding trails out of there?
wilderone
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 1-1-2018 at 09:36 AM

Yes, there are riding trails. Years ago when I was there, they had horses for rent (not sure about current accommodations). Their property goes quite a ways. There is an indigenous habitation site near the riverbed with morteros. There are apple trees that Duane (sp?) would make her apple butter with. A small cemetery too.
bajatrailrider
Super Nomad

Mood: Happy

[*] posted on 1-1-2018 at 10:08 AM

Quote: Originally posted by mtgoat666  

Willy,
Too rustic for you, eh.
Ass hole of the year award love the loser when he barks:bounce:
 Pages:  1  

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.