BajaNomad
Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  
Author: Subject: San felipe fishing and paddle boarding, family fun.
Patrick T

smile.gif posted on 1-1-2018 at 01:15 PM
San felipe fishing and paddle boarding, family fun.

Ok newby to Baja, and beach fishing. First trip into baja. Me my wife and 2 daughters,8 and 13 will be heading to san felipe first. We've rented a hose jan13 for a month. We love paddle boarding back in Idaho on freshwater. Never have in the surf. So we were hoping to do lots of fishing and paddle boarding and exploring. So looking for any recommendations and would love to meet some like minded people. Also looking for ideas on moving South after the month in SF. We also have fat tire bikes with us. Looking forward to meeting everyone. Patrick
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 1-1-2018 at 01:34 PM

Welcome to Nomad!
It would be great if you took some of that month and explored the rest of Baja... at least for a quick look. San Felipe is not like any other place in Baja. It is great if you love the desert, sand beaches, and endless off roading... It is my favorite area of Baja to go to repeatedly, all my life. I camp about 20 miles south of town, on Shell Island. No facilities!
Also, there is no 'surf' as the Gulf of California (Sea of Cortez) is like a giant lake (except if the wind blows)!
The most interesting thing about the upper gulf are the giant tides... some of the world's greatest. During the full and new moon phases, twice a day, the tide drops 20 or more feet and goes out a half mile or more! Very amazing. My daughter in law did a time-lapse photo shoot last May on our family Memorial Day Weekend trip to Shell Island.

Shell Island (at high tide). The lagoon to the right empties out at low tide.

Time-lapse looking east at the gulf side of the island begins at sunrise (nearing low tide) and ends at high tide. Note the sandbars way-way out:
https://www.facebook.com/Buster.TeethIn/videos/1021075862145...

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

Patrick T

[*] posted on 1-1-2018 at 02:22 PM

Yes we will explore other areas. We will have untell around March 10th. Patrick
bajabuddha
Banned

Mood: Always cranky unless medicated

[*] posted on 1-1-2018 at 02:33 PM

Pat, you'll find San Flip to be pretty chilly and windy in January so take wetsuits if you have em. It's also pretty fished out there so I wouldn't expect too much, but ya never know.

I don't have a BUCKET LIST, but I do have a F***- IT LIST a mile long!

86 - 45*

Patrick T

[*] posted on 1-1-2018 at 02:47 PM

PSX_20180101_134654.jpg - 60kB
del mar
Banned

Mood: lil' fuzzy

[*] posted on 1-1-2018 at 02:48 PM

its only 50 miles to puertecitos, plan on making this trip to find a shot at catching anything. some beautiful beaches to the south:yes:
Patrick T

[*] posted on 1-1-2018 at 02:54 PM

Great thanks for the info. We think 70 is warm. We are from the north!lol
So what's another location that's good for family that's farther South? Patrick
del mar
Banned

[*] posted on 1-1-2018 at 03:02 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Patrick T  

another 50 miles and you're in gonzaga bay.:yes:
woody with a view
PITA Nomad

Mood: Everchangin'

[*] posted on 1-1-2018 at 03:10 PM

And still there is no surf. Unless the nortes blow and then its a matter of life and death.

David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 1-1-2018 at 03:58 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Patrick T  

Patrick, Baja is 1000 miles of fun and adventure for the whole family. San Felipe is pretty much where it starts on the east side of the peninsula.

The old Spanish missions and ruins are a great educational and photographic resource on the peninsula... I wrote a book in 2016 about them.

There are fantastic desert gardens, palm-filled oasis dotting the desert, mountains with pine forests, 3,000 miles of coastline, old mines, geologic wonders, great people who live off the grid in the mountains, wonderful pre-historic cave paintings and rock art... the list just goes on and on!

See my website www.vivabaja.com for a few ideas of what to see or read through the Baja Nomad Trip Reports forum.

[Edited on 1-1-2018 by David K]

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

advrider
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 1-1-2018 at 05:23 PM

SF is a good intro to Baja, it's a cool little town. I would plan some day trips and maybe an over night or two down to the Bay of LA. As David said there is a lot to see and the time will go fast!
bkbend
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 1-1-2018 at 05:57 PM

I agree with advrider, it'll be a nice first trip. Don't do all your shopping at Calimax, find a panaderia, a tortillaria, a carneceria, or a taco cart. Do the 50 + mile trip south if you want to fish. Fish off the rocky points that start to appear. Access from the new highway is more limited than in the past but roads lead into houses at the coves. Drive in and ask someone where you can park and play. The kids can hang out on the sandy beach and you can walk out on a point or take the paddleboard out to one. If the wind comes up it will be out of the north (98% of the time) so paddle north so it can blow you back.
Patrick T

[*] posted on 1-1-2018 at 06:51 PM

Great advice thanks
AKgringo
Elite Nomad

Mood: Retireded

[*] posted on 1-1-2018 at 08:12 PM
Bugs and water hazzards!

I have not spent enough time around San Felipe to know what the mosquito and biting gnats are like, but in other parts of Baja they can be a problem! The mosquito bites don't bother me much, but the no-see-ums tear me up, so if they are around I use a repellant.

I also have an antihistamine in my first aid kit, and a topical ointment for pain, itch and swelling relief. I think I am more sensitive than most people to their bite.

The ointment also helps with jelly fish stings if you happen to encounter them. Another water hazard you should read up on before you leave are sting rays. The sooner first aid is applied, the less severe the symptoms will be!

I am not trying to scare you out of the water, just be as prepared as you can, especially if you travel to some of the more remote areas.

[Edited on 1-2-2018 by AKgringo]

If you are not living on the edge, you are taking up too much space!

"Could do better if he tried!" Report card comments from most of my grade school teachers. Sadly, still true!
willardguy
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 1-1-2018 at 08:35 PM

Quote: Originally posted by David K  
None of that in San Felipe. Noseeums are a tropical bug. It is cold at night in winter, very cold, however. The only bug that has bothered me sometimes are Africanized bees the past 10 years a few times between Coco's Corner and San Felipe. Just make sure anything wet with fresh water is not left out, including a can of beer. Again, pretty rare but has happened.

yeah david's got it! the only no-see-um's you'll find in baja will be south of the tropic of cancer....:rolleyes:

can't wait for this guidebook, its gonna be a doozie!:lol:
willardguy
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 1-1-2018 at 10:24 PM

I guess I have just been lucky? The only no see ums (ems?) I ever got was in San Blas, Nayarit! I don't know about the Arctic Circle variety.

The guide is a road guide, not a bug guide. Happy trails to you all.

well keep on spewing your boolchit to the unsuspecting novice traveler as the gospel....they'll feel enlightened by it ;)
willardguy
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 1-1-2018 at 10:58 PM

It is just conversation... not life or death stuff. Are you able to have a fireside chat or is it only your way or the highway? Lighten up, it is the first day of a new year, after all. I am not arguing there aren't noseeums in non-tropical areas, I just said it was something I never experienced in Baja... Tiny gnats sure, but not the noseeums that can get through screens.

happy new years pauls liquor:yes:

[Edited on 1-2-2018 by willardguy]
David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 1-2-2018 at 12:22 AM

I have no idea what "pauls liquor" means, sorry. Happy New Year.
To stay on topic for Patrick's question, how about deleting the off topic personal jab posts? I removed my replies that were not about Patrick's question to clean up the thread. Let's not chase away another newbie with infighting, okay? I will delete this reply as well. Peace!

redhilltown
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 1-2-2018 at 01:50 AM

Welcome! You'll need to head south as to any sort of decent fishing...but Bahia de San Luis Gonzaga is a beautiful place to spend a day or two..or three...or cancel your San Felipe house and end up there! All along the coast from San Felipe to Gonzaga there are many small roads to pull over...after Puertecitos there should be some sort of fish around...triggers and spotted bay bass if nothing else...both excellent eating (fishing snobs may pooh pooh the spotted bay bass but dont listen to them...you are catching dinner, not winning a fishing tournament). Small hooks and some frozen squid...or a chrome krocodile lure.

San Felipe is a great introduction...but head south, head south!
del mar
Banned

[*] posted on 1-2-2018 at 11:32 AM

Quote: Originally posted by willardguy  
It is just conversation... not life or death stuff. Are you able to have a fireside chat or is it only your way or the highway? Lighten up, it is the first day of a new year, after all. I am not arguing there aren't noseeums in non-tropical areas, I just said it was something I never experienced in Baja... Tiny gnats sure, but not the noseeums that can get through screens.

happy new years pauls liquor:yes:

[Edited on 1-2-2018 by willardguy]

reference to a famous highway 5 petroglyph? :lol:
 Pages:  1  

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.