BajaNomad
Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  
Author: Subject: Boat trip to Isla Santa Catalina/Catalan?
vapno

[*] posted on 1-2-2018 at 06:53 PM
Boat trip to Isla Santa Catalina/Catalan?

I'm a cactus enthusiast and prefer remote places, so I'm interested using a day in Loreto to get out to Isla Catalina (or Catalan) later this month. I've seen just a few articles showing people out on this particular island. Wild Loreto is mentioned as taking people out there to camp. The other articles don't name the boater. Comparing websites though, it looks like Wild Loreto has the shortest tour times (4 hours) versus others. One positive is that they don't seem to have a minimum number of participants (in my case, just two people). Don't mind being dropped off and picked up. Honestly, I'd prefer stopping at one of the nearer islands too. But this is a new activity for me, and I'm not sure if that's unreasonable.

Can anyone here recommend a good company to go with?

[Edited on 1-3-2018 by vapno]
wilderone
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 1-4-2018 at 10:12 AM

You can go to the boat docks and negotiate with a panguero. That island is a long way from Loreto, a long trip for someone to go for a drop-off and come back for you. You could go very early in the AM for a day trip. I paid $50 for a drop-off at Isla Coronado (pick-up 2 days later) - that's only 6 mi. away. I asked a taxi driver about going to Isla Coronado and he took me to the panguero's homes for me to ask. Might be worthwhile to drive to Agua Verde and get a panguero to go from there. You might even take additional gas; expect to pay a lot.
ligui
Senior Nomad

Mood: love Baja !

[*] posted on 1-5-2018 at 06:56 AM

I can hook you up with my friends in Ensenada Blanca who run dive and island tours. They leave from the beach in Ensenada blanca which is a straight shot out to Catalina .

It can get rough some days so you will have to plan it right . I've been out to the island acouple of times diving on the north shore . Very good with lots of life .

Ligui
wilderone
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 1-5-2018 at 08:41 AM

ligui - maybe you could post specific information, like cost, need a sanctuary permit?, contact info., can they take a kayak onboard? I might be interested.
Floatflyer
Nomad

Mood: Wet & Cold

[*] posted on 1-5-2018 at 09:10 AM

Years ago we landed on Isla Carmen and got the caretakers to give us a ride to the west side of the island where we camped for a few days. Had an agreement for them to come get us but they failed to show! Hiked across the island and found out that a crew change had occurred! You might make SURE somebody comes and retrieves you.

Also sort of remember that Isla Catalina had rattleless rattlesnakes??

Have fun, looking forward to a trip report.
JZ
Elite Nomad

Member Is Online

[*] posted on 1-5-2018 at 10:58 AM

Quote: Originally posted by wilderone  
Might be worthwhile to drive to Agua Verde and get a panguero to go from there. You might even take additional gas.

This is exactly what you want to do.

Drive down to AV (beautiful drive). Take gas in one of those big jugs (that is most of the cost of these trips). Find someone to run you out.

It's like 15 miles from AV, versus the 40 miles from Loreto.

Make sure it's a fairly claim day.

[Edited on 1-6-2018 by JZ]
ligui
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 1-5-2018 at 08:09 PM

Not sure what you exactly want to do . Jz is right that it is a very beautiful drive to Agua Verde just that it's along drive and takes some time to get to the village then finding a boat to take you out to the island . Could be a very late start .

I also wouldn't want to boat out there from Loreto, he is right lots of miles .

We would be at Ensenada blanca at sunrise jump in the boat with our gear and head out . Wind likes to show up in the afternoon , so out early and back right after our dives .

The guy we go out with lives in Ensenada blanca . Rodolfo , my friend is a certified padi dive master diver and has a nice boat with a new 90 hp Honda . His family has been there for years and now are beginning to get more work with tourists looking to get out to the islands and diving . Been with him under the water many times sharing our dive sites .

I'll post his phone number tomorrow don't have it handy right now .

Would guess cost roundtrip to be around 125 US . All you have to do is ask , I get the friend deal so don't know for sure .

Has radio onboard and plans his trips to be safe . He is part of the fishing cooperative of Ensenada blanca and they all let each other know where they are going and when they plan to return .

Just spent 2 weeks in Nov. diving with him .

Will post info tomorrow
JZ
Elite Nomad

Member Is Online

[*] posted on 1-5-2018 at 11:30 PM

Ligui, that definitely sounds like the way to go. I didn't read your previous post before I made mine.
ligui
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 1-7-2018 at 11:52 AM

Hi everyone , the contact number is 011-52-1-613-0831

This no.is Rigo's who is the the deckhand on boat . He lives in ligui which is next to Ensenada blanca where they launch from . He speaks pretty good English and can help you get a boat lined up . I spoke with him last night and let him know that I was putting their number out on this web site . He was happy to know that people were interested in departing from , Ensenada blanca as they are very close to islands and do not need long boat trips to see some of the best parts of the park .

This is the reason that I first started in the area years ago . Short boat trip , more time enjoying under the water and looking at the islands up close . Easy to head home if winds start to come up .

You can get in touch with me if you would like help getting hooked up .

Also as in the past I have offered free camping on our property on the beach . It is located between ligui beach and Ensenada blanca beach . Just earth google and look at the area you will see the house on the hill over looking the ocean .

Great guys looking to share what they know of of the park , fish and animals in the area . Been friends with them for 20 great years .

I've got a couple of photo's if someone will post them for me . I can email them to you .

This is a wonderful part of baja and well worth the time to look it over .

My email is kotulacasa@aol.com if anyone has a ? ;)
JZ
Elite Nomad

Member Is Online

[*] posted on 1-7-2018 at 01:31 PM

That is great info. Next time I'm in Loreto I'll hit him up.

[Edited on 1-7-2018 by JZ]
yumawill
Nomad

[*] posted on 1-7-2018 at 03:30 PM

Or you could go to La Paz. Buy a 32 ft sailboat. Learn to sail on the way up and stay as long as you like. Plus no GAS needed. Simple. I'm sure it will be a great adventure. Please write and tell us all about it.
Isn't that how the Baja two step goes? Just jump in.
ligui
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 1-8-2018 at 07:09 AM

Yumawill , why a 32 foot ? :?:
bill erhardt
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 1-8-2018 at 02:42 PM

Below is a photo of my 17' McKee Craft tucked in for the night at one of the fish camps on the west side of Isla Catalana. Soon after I settled in Loreto I went looking for the fabled rattleless rattlesnakes. The first part of the evening I spent searching an arroyo for snakes with a dimming flashlight, and the rest of the night I slept on the beach hoping none would find me.
Catalana is also famous for big barrel cactus. Although none can be seen in the photo, many can be seen from a boat in one of the rocky coves at the south end of the island near the lighthouse.
The beach around the fire pits at the fish camp was littered with crab legs three feet or so in length.

cat.jpg - 168kB
Phil C
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 1-8-2018 at 02:55 PM

Ligui, there's numbers missing in the number you posted......the three prefix numbers 104, 100 something like that
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 1-8-2018 at 03:01 PM

Quote: Originally posted by bill erhardt  
Catalana is also famous for big barrel cactus. Although none can be seen in the photo, many can be seen from a boat in one of the rocky coves at the south end of the island near the lighthouse. ...

From the 1989 edition of Norman C. Robert's 'Baja California Plant Field Guide':

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

JZ
Elite Nomad

Member Is Online

[*] posted on 1-8-2018 at 04:37 PM

Damn, I've had my boat out in Loreto several times and never went out to that island. Will have to check it out soon.
BornFisher
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 1-8-2018 at 06:50 PM

Quote: Originally posted by bill erhardt  
Below is a photo of my 17' McKee Craft tucked in for the night at one of the fish camps on the west side of Isla Catalana. Soon after I settled in Loreto I went looking for the fabled rattleless rattlesnakes. The first part of the evening I spent searching an arroyo for snakes with a dimming flashlight, and the rest of the night I slept on the beach hoping none would find me.
Catalana is also famous for big barrel cactus. Although none can be seen in the photo, many can be seen from a boat in one of the rocky coves at the south end of the island near the lighthouse.
The beach around the fire pits at the fish camp was littered with crab legs three feet or so in length.

Think I`d rather face a rattlesnake than a crab that is 6' across!!!

"When you catch a fish, you open the door of happiness."
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 1-8-2018 at 11:33 PM

Captain Nemo's Island is in the Gulf of California, after all!!

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

vapno

[*] posted on 1-9-2018 at 12:32 AM

Thanks so much for the great suggestions! I wasn't expecting this many replies. I'm a poor negotiator, so I'll see where ligui's lead takes me.
ligui
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 1-9-2018 at 06:47 PM

Phil c thanks ! No. is 011-52-1-( 613 ) 113 0831

Great pics. guys !
 Pages:  1  

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.