BajaNomad
Not logged in [Login - Register]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  2  
Author: Subject: Can anyone pick up my child's teddy bear from San Felipe?
WideAngleWandering
Nomad
**


Avatar


Posts: 301
Registered: 3-13-2012
Location: US-Based but traveling
Member Is Offline


[*] posted on 1-11-2018 at 10:14 AM


Alright folks, we're on it. The WaW Baja 2018 Expedition now has a mission.

We will locate and escort one lost Teddy Bear to the nearest USPS outpost north of the border for safe passage back home.

Bonus points if it happens to be full of sweet, sweet drugs when we find it.

[Edited on 2018-1-11 by WideAngleWandering]




Traveling the Americas via my \'84 HJ60 | Flickr
View user's profile Visit user's homepage
JoeJustJoe
Platinum Nomad
********


Avatar


Posts: 17701
Registered: 9-9-2010
Location: Occupied Aztlan
Member Is Offline

Mood: Mad as hell

[*] posted on 1-11-2018 at 11:08 AM


This is another example why people like to scam old people.

If this happened to me I would simply take my son to "Toys"R"Us" and buy him a new "friend" or toy for the lost blanket, or tell him he is big boy, and doesn't need the blanket anymore.


If I had to have the items back, I would prepay international shipping forms, and have everything filled out including an empty box and then offer a few pesos to a hotel employee to ship it to me back in the states.

What I wouldn't do is pick up strangers suitcases, or teddy bears, and take it across the US border, where Border Patrol K-9 sniffs out "drugs" in the Teddy, like in this example below:

Border Patrol K-9 sniffs out meth hidden in stuffed toy dog

It took the well-trained nose of a U.S. Customs and Border Protection canine to sniff that something was amiss with a plush toy dog at a California immigration checkpoint earlier this week.

http://abcnews.go.com/US/border-patrol-sniffs-meth-hidden-st...










View user's profile
willardguy
Elite Nomad
******




Posts: 5212
Registered: 9-19-2009
Location: rosarito
Member Is Offline

Mood: im good

[*] posted on 1-11-2018 at 11:20 AM


cool. Im sure many here have been wondering what Joe would do.;)
View user's profile
mtgoat666
Select Nomad
*******




Posts: 10931
Registered: 9-16-2006
Location: San Diego
Member Is Offline

Mood: Indivisible, resisting fascists in orange hair!

[*] posted on 1-11-2018 at 11:33 AM


Quote: Originally posted by willardguy  
cool. Im sure many here have been wondering what Joe would do.;)


always ask yourself WWJD? :lol::lol::lol::lol:

:barf::barf::barf::barf::barf::barf:




Make America Decent Again
View user's profile
John Harper
Nomad
**




Posts: 106
Registered: 3-9-2017
Member Is Offline


[*] posted on 1-11-2018 at 11:46 AM


Quote: Originally posted by WideAngleWandering  

Bonus points if it happens to be full of sweet, sweet drugs when we find it.


If it's stuffed with fentanyl, watch the dosage.

John
View user's profile
JoeJustJoe
Platinum Nomad
********


Avatar


Posts: 17701
Registered: 9-9-2010
Location: Occupied Aztlan
Member Is Offline

Mood: Mad as hell

[*] posted on 1-11-2018 at 12:11 PM


Quote: Originally posted by willardguy  
cool. Im sure many here have been wondering what Joe would do.;)


It doesn't matter if some are wondering "what Joe would do."

I will tell you my opinion anyway.

Hopefully, MrBill, will visit this thread shortly, and tell us what his parents would have done in a similar situation, since MrBill, has written extensively how his parents, and especially his father was never up for any awards for "father of the year."

Most people here of the " spare the rod and spoil the child" generation, I bet if when you were young, your parents wouldn't worry about such foolishness of a lost teddy bear, and you would be lucky if your parents, wouldn't smack you upside the head, and tell you to stop your crying over the lost of your blankey

If the OP is not just having a little fun here, or thinking of ways to smuggler contraband across the US/Mexican border, and is actually serious with her concerns about the child's lost blankey, and teddy bear.

I would simply tell her not to worry too much about the lost of a security blanket because when your child grows up, there is always "therapy" to help alleviate the years of painful memories starting in childhood.




View user's profile
caj13
Junior Nomad
*




Posts: 50
Registered: 8-1-2017
Member Is Offline


[*] posted on 1-11-2018 at 03:51 PM


hey Joe,
so somehow i think alot of people are either purposely ignoring, or missing my pioint (as well as yours).

I have absolutely no issues with a kid and his bear, they are important, for alot of reasons. thats not the problem I have.

My issue was - and still is - it is a swmall chance that this is a set-up for someone trying to get Drugs out of Mexico into the USA.

Tell a heart wrenching story - perfect - a kid and his lost bear. Can anyone be a hero - rescue the bear!

so as you posted - turns out occasionally - there is no kid - just a bear stuffed with contraban that an unknown individual duped some good samaratan into picking up and transporting it across the border, then mailing it to whoever - wherever!

is thats whats happening here? probably not - but really folks, why are you castigating anfd belittleing those who point out the unknown risk here?
1. first time poster -
2. Story doesn't seem to add up hotel says its impossible to mail it?
seriously ? (BTW fed ex and DHL both carry stuff from Mexico to USA) - why not just send a prepaid mailer to the Hotel, anyone there would be willing to take the 30 seconds to stuff the bear into an envelope and hand it back to the fed ex, or DHL guy)

iso - unknown poster, telling a story that at least has hints of errors or untruths in it - small chance i may be being played.

I'm not willing to take the chance - small risk that it is - because of the potential consequences.

Others here are willing to take that risk - I have no problem with that - more power to them, they probably end up a hero to a 6 year old kid and his parents. Hopefully!

But i don't understand people trying to paint me as the devil incarnate, but if thats what floats their boat - more power to em!
View user's profile
John Harper
Nomad
**




Posts: 106
Registered: 3-9-2017
Member Is Offline


[*] posted on 1-11-2018 at 06:34 PM


Quote: Originally posted by caj13  
hey Joe,
so somehow i think alot of people are either purposely ignoring, or missing my pioint (as well as yours).

I have absolutely no issues with a kid and his bear, they are important, for alot of reasons. thats not the problem I have.

My issue was - and still is - it is a swmall chance that this is a set-up for someone trying to get Drugs out of Mexico into the USA.

Tell a heart wrenching story - perfect - a kid and his lost bear. Can anyone be a hero - rescue the bear!

so as you posted - turns out occasionally - there is no kid - just a bear stuffed with contraban that an unknown individual duped some good samaratan into picking up and transporting it across the border, then mailing it to whoever - wherever!

is thats whats happening here? probably not - but really folks, why are you castigating anfd belittleing those who point out the unknown risk here?
1. first time poster -
2. Story doesn't seem to add up hotel says its impossible to mail it?
seriously ? (BTW fed ex and DHL both carry stuff from Mexico to USA) - why not just send a prepaid mailer to the Hotel, anyone there would be willing to take the 30 seconds to stuff the bear into an envelope and hand it back to the fed ex, or DHL guy)

iso - unknown poster, telling a story that at least has hints of errors or untruths in it - small chance i may be being played.

I'm not willing to take the chance - small risk that it is - because of the potential consequences.

Others here are willing to take that risk - I have no problem with that - more power to them, they probably end up a hero to a 6 year old kid and his parents. Hopefully!

But i don't understand people trying to paint me as the devil incarnate, but if thats what floats their boat - more power to em!


I think all your points are reasonable. Look at how many "nice" people got duped by the Prince of Nigeria and forked over their bank account numbers. Good luck to whoever rolls the dice.

John
View user's profile
TMW
Select Nomad
*******




Posts: 8849
Registered: 9-1-2003
Location: Bakersfield, CA
Member Is Offline


[*] posted on 1-11-2018 at 06:58 PM


It isn't hard to tell if the teddy bear has drugs in it. As the Chinese say "if the iron is hot don't pick it up, if it is cold pick it up".
View user's profile
WideAngleWandering
Nomad
**


Avatar


Posts: 301
Registered: 3-13-2012
Location: US-Based but traveling
Member Is Offline


[*] posted on 1-11-2018 at 10:58 PM


Paranoia strikes deep



Traveling the Americas via my \'84 HJ60 | Flickr
View user's profile Visit user's homepage
caj13
Junior Nomad
*




Posts: 50
Registered: 8-1-2017
Member Is Offline


[*] posted on 1-12-2018 at 07:42 AM


Quote: Originally posted by TMW  
It isn't hard to tell if the teddy bear has drugs in it. As the Chinese say "if the iron is hot don't pick it up, if it is cold pick it up".


I'm not so sure about that, but instead of argueing about it, how about a real world test of your postulate!

so I'll show up in Bakersfield with 10 Teddy Bears, you can hold em, feel em, look at em, and tell me which ones have 20 grams of "fentenyl" wrapped in plastic inside? obviously it would be sand or sugar -
Just for reference here, the info I found says that 20 grams ofpure fentenyl after cutting the street value would be about 1/4 of a million if im doing my math right!

so for every one you get right, I'll pay you 100 bucks - easy money for you! of course if you get it wrong, you owe me 100 buck per wrong guess!

It would be fun, we could make it like a game show - broadcast it to interested Baja Nomad participants, and you could show everyone how dumb I am!
what do you say?
View user's profile
TMW
Select Nomad
*******




Posts: 8849
Registered: 9-1-2003
Location: Bakersfield, CA
Member Is Offline


[*] posted on 1-12-2018 at 11:48 AM


Come on up.
View user's profile
caj13
Junior Nomad
*




Posts: 50
Registered: 8-1-2017
Member Is Offline


[*] posted on 1-12-2018 at 12:48 PM


Quote: Originally posted by TMW  
Come on up.


when and where? and it would be down, coming from Fresno
View user's profile
John Harper
Nomad
**




Posts: 106
Registered: 3-9-2017
Member Is Offline


[*] posted on 1-12-2018 at 04:42 PM


I think we should pick up the bear and hold it ransom. We'll find out how much that kid loves his bear.

John
View user's profile
tobias
Junior Nomad
*




Posts: 33
Registered: 1-10-2014
Member Is Offline


[*] posted on 1-12-2018 at 05:16 PM


This is starting to sound like the plot to a coen brothers film
View user's profile
TMW
Select Nomad
*******




Posts: 8849
Registered: 9-1-2003
Location: Bakersfield, CA
Member Is Offline


[*] posted on 1-12-2018 at 06:01 PM


Quote: Originally posted by caj13  
Quote: Originally posted by TMW  
Come on up.


when and where? and it would be down, coming from Fresno


When ever you want to.
View user's profile
caj13
Junior Nomad
*




Posts: 50
Registered: 8-1-2017
Member Is Offline


[*] posted on 1-12-2018 at 06:10 PM


Quote: Originally posted by TMW  
Quote: Originally posted by caj13  
Quote: Originally posted by TMW  
Come on up.


when and where? and it would be down, coming from Fresno


When ever you want to.


Friday Feb 16th.

pick a time and a place - I'll bring the video to film your conquest!
View user's profile
TMW
Select Nomad
*******




Posts: 8849
Registered: 9-1-2003
Location: Bakersfield, CA
Member Is Offline


[*] posted on 1-12-2018 at 06:25 PM


OK corner of Harris Rd and Winter Grove Dr at noon. It's a park.

[Edited on 1-13-2018 by TMW]
View user's profile
caj13
Junior Nomad
*




Posts: 50
Registered: 8-1-2017
Member Is Offline


[*] posted on 1-12-2018 at 07:16 PM


Quote: Originally posted by TMW  
OK corner of Harris Rd and Winter Grove Dr at noon. It's a park.

[Edited on 1-13-2018 by TMW]


I am dead serious about this, just want to make sure you aren't going to back out or disapear before i go blow a couple of hundred on teddy bears!

BTW if by some miracle I do win a couple of hundred from you , after the cost of the bears, everything gets donated to Blancas scholarship charity!
View user's profile
WideAngleWandering
Nomad
**


Avatar


Posts: 301
Registered: 3-13-2012
Location: US-Based but traveling
Member Is Offline


[*] posted on 1-12-2018 at 07:29 PM


Quote: Originally posted by John Harper  
I think we should pick up the bear and hold it ransom. We'll find out how much that kid loves his bear.

You'll have to get your hands on it before I do. I guess it's a race. :cool:




Traveling the Americas via my \'84 HJ60 | Flickr
View user's profile Visit user's homepage
 Pages:  1  2  

  Go To Top


For high speed satellite internet in Baja call +1.6197170810 - or click here to email sistemassatelitales@hotmail.com



Tijuana Walking Tours - on Meetup.com


 






All Content Copyright © 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.
Powered by XMB; XMB Forum Software © 2001-2014 The XMB Group 






"If it were lush and rich, one could understand the pull, but it is fierce and hostile and sullen. The stone mountains pile up to the sky and there is little fresh water. But we know we must go back if we live, and we don't know why." - Steinbeck, Log from the Sea of Cortez

 

"People don't care how much you know, until they know how much you care." - Ivan R. Misner, Ph.D

 

"You can easily judge the character of others by how they treat those who they think can do nothing for them or to them." - Malcolm Forbes

 

"Let others lead small lives, but not you. Let others argue over small things, but not you. Let others cry over small hurts, but not you. Let others leave their future in someone else's hands, but not you." - Jim Rohn







Thank you to Baja Bound Mexico Insurance Services for your long-term support of the BajaNomad.com Forums site.







Emergency Baja Contacts Include:

Desert Hawks; El Rosario-based ambulance transport; Emergency #: (616) 103-0262