Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  
Author: Subject: Water and fruit
white whale
Nomad

[*] posted on 1-10-2018 at 07:41 PM
Water and fruit

Water: Anything like we'd see north of the border? Potable or not. U fill type.

Fresh fruit: roadside pop up stores. I assume the grow season is all year.
David K
Honored Nomad

Member Is Online

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 1-10-2018 at 08:03 PM

What is the full question? Are you asking if they have water? Yes, bottled and self fill. Just like north of the border. You are allowed to bring your own food and water into Mexico, too.

Roadside stands that sell fruit? Some, but more typical are fruit stores in most bigger towns.

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

tobias
Nomad

[*] posted on 1-10-2018 at 08:45 PM

I cant wait to go back to having papaya for breakfast every day. Just a few more weeks
white whale
Nomad

[*] posted on 1-10-2018 at 09:37 PM

Yes maybe light on my question details. So a u-fill water spot is just as good as bottled in a store? I was thinking about the rotopax water packs for camp setup.
What do the veterans do for for water fill and storage? Is a u fill something you would commonly see? Are they stand alone or inside a store?

Fresh fruit , best spots for, or is quality everywhere.
mtgoat666
Select Nomad

Mood: Hot n spicy

[*] posted on 1-10-2018 at 09:47 PM

Quote: Originally posted by white whale  
Water: Anything like we'd see north of the border?

Yes, is H2O, just like in the USA!

Potable or not?

Yes

U fill type?

Yes

Fresh fruit: roadside pop up stores?

Yes. They also have supermarkets, c-stores, fruit stands, street vendors

I assume the grow season is all year.

Your assumption is wrong!

Woke!

“...ask not what your country can do for you – ask what you can do for your country.” “My fellow citizens of the world: ask not what America will do for you, but what together we can do for the freedom of man.”

Prefered gender pronoun: the royal we

mtgoat666
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 1-10-2018 at 09:55 PM

Yes maybe light on my question details. So a u-fill water spot is just as good as bottled in a store? yes

I was thinking about the rotopax water packs for camp setup. thats a pricy water jug! i use plastic jugs you can by at Target for a few bucks

What do the veterans do for for water fill and storage? fill, drink, repeat!

Is a u fill something you would commonly see? Are they stand alone or inside a store? most every town has a water store

Fresh fruit , best spots for, or is quality everywhere. depends!

Woke!

“...ask not what your country can do for you – ask what you can do for your country.” “My fellow citizens of the world: ask not what America will do for you, but what together we can do for the freedom of man.”

John Harper
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 1-11-2018 at 08:17 AM

Huge difference. In Mexico, they call it agua. Can you believe that?

John
Bajazly
Senior Nomad

Mood: More Relaxed Everyday

[*] posted on 1-11-2018 at 10:06 AM

Water: Anything like we'd see north of the border? Potable or not. U fill type.

Look for the purificado, Most towns have one.

Believing is religion - Knowing is science

Harald Pietschmann

"Get off the beaten path and memories, friends and new techniques are developed"

Bajazly, August 2019
wilderone
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 1-11-2018 at 12:28 PM

Depending on where you're going, there are fresh water wells too. In Catavina there is a nice one very near Sta Inez. Mision San Borja has a well. Vizcaino has fruit vendors near the gas station with oranges. Just outside Ensenada there are a couple large fruit/vege stands. Pineapple and avocados should be in now. I take canned stuff and dried fruit too if I'm between markets or fresh stuff isn't fresh.
sancho
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 1-11-2018 at 02:57 PM

The water stores I generally deal with have the, I believe,
osmosis filter system, most locals get water there, can't
remember exactly, $.20 a gal? Mas o memos. 5 gal. water jug from home. I assume some/most winter
fruit comes up from the mainland. I try to buy from roadside
stands, if available, quality can very, not that you asked, but don't expect to get
fruit or food for some mythical low price

[Edited on 1-11-2018 by sancho]

bajabuddha
Banned

Mood: Always cranky unless medicated

[*] posted on 1-11-2018 at 03:29 PM

Quote: Originally posted by wilderone  
Depending on where you're going, there are fresh water wells too. In Catavina there is a nice one very near Sta Inez. Mision San Borja has a well. Vizcaino has fruit vendors near the gas station with oranges. Just outside Ensenada there are a couple large fruit/vege stands. Pineapple and avocados should be in now. I take canned stuff and dried fruit too if I'm between markets or fresh stuff isn't fresh.

Update on the Santa Ynez well/tap. It's in the center of their courtyard, a single standing water spigot. Back in the day it was "Agua Dulce", the best water in Baja, and I would always stop there to fill my jugs. Last time ( a few years back) it tasted terrible and I got the Revenge from it. I believe it was from all the free ranging cattle now allowed to wander the property; there were cow patties everywhere, and it has possibly leached into the groundwater tables... dunno how deep their 'well' actually is. I noticed the Rancho has deteriorated over the years, and maybe the water purity as well; use at your own risk. This is only one person's experience.

I don't have a BUCKET LIST, but I do have a F***- IT LIST a mile long!

86 - 45*

weebray
Super Nomad

Mood: lleno

[*] posted on 1-11-2018 at 04:55 PM

I agree on the Santa Ynez situation but you should see what a disaster the son has made of Don Eddie's in San Q. It's not worth the cost of diesel to level it.

Every beautiful beach in the world needs a few condo towers - NOT.
wilderone
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 1-11-2018 at 05:16 PM

Just before Sta Inez - you can see the water flowing across the highway - a sandy turn-off goes toward the arroyo where there is a government solar-powered pump (I saw it used to fill very large pilas, but don't know how it works), and a few yards away there is the barrel with the water line connected to the source (unplug it and it will gush forth to fill smaller containers). Been there for years, and I've always drunk the water with no problem. I've never used the spigot at Sta Inez that you refer to.
BajaMama
Super Nomad

Mood: Got Baja fever!!

[*] posted on 1-12-2018 at 09:56 AM

I don't know what you want to fill into but we always do 5 gallon bottles, like in office coolers. Can only speak for Mulege and Santa Rosalia but good water very, reasonable price.
motoged
Elite Nomad

Mood: Gettin' Better

[*] posted on 1-12-2018 at 10:22 AM

Quote: Originally posted by BajaMama  
I don't know what you want to fill into but we always do 5 gallon bottles, like in office coolers. Can only speak for Mulege and Santa Rosalia but good water very, reasonable price.

Purificados may not be able to provide the empty 5 gal garrafons...so you should be prepared with your own agua containers.

Don't believe everything you think....
white whale
Nomad

[*] posted on 1-12-2018 at 12:17 PM

Thanks for the replies. Back to the purificados, they are automated....
coin operated type, stick your jug underneath the spout. Or something else. Is this part of public services or private businesses?

How does the baja water situation compare to other parts of Mexico?
mtgoat666
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 1-12-2018 at 12:30 PM

coin operated type, stick your jug underneath the spout. Or something else. Is this part of public services or private businesses?

water vendors have real people to fill your jugs. they take cash.

you should just go and travel -- sometimes you need to figure it out as you go, and experience an adventure outside of your normal box!

Woke!

white whale
Nomad

[*] posted on 1-12-2018 at 01:02 PM

Quote: Originally posted by mtgoat666  

water vendors have real people to fill your jugs. they take cash.

you should just go and travel -- sometimes you need to figure it out as you go, and experience an adventure outside of your normal box!

Oh I see I posted on the Baja Snark board. My mistake. Site owner - 666 has declared your board sort of useless because you should all just figure it out yourselves. Knowledge is so overated - and I'm like a really smart guy, I know the best words believe me ... Printed guide books/maps? why bother just head south.

Glad you mention "real people" because there are alot of fake people. I'm convinced that fake people are doing all this "fake news" stuff I keep hearing many people talk about.

Thank you 666! What a box!
motoged
Elite Nomad

Mood: Gettin' Better

[*] posted on 1-12-2018 at 01:34 PM

The Goat's info was relevant ....some of the Nomads are short of patience with newbies (which we all were here at some time) when common sense questions surface....or ones that can be sorted out with a bit of Googling or on the first day of your travels.

Some Nomads are wary of possible trolls looking to set up conflict on this forum....and then playing victim...

Hope you get fresh water and veggies/fruit on your trip.

Don't believe everything you think....
bajagrouper
Senior Nomad

Mood: happy and retired

[*] posted on 1-12-2018 at 01:39 PM

Quote: Originally posted by David K  
You are allowed to bring your own food and water into Mexico, too.

Well not all food..........

http://rockypoint360.com/what-food-can-i-bring-across-the-bo...

I hear the whales song
 Pages:  1  

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.